ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Tingeh, the human child with fatal burns

Trollbabe

Rescued by Ember's Wolfriders and healed by Mender

Thornbrake

That was one of my favorite parts of Final Quest issue #2. Wonder if we'll get to know her name? Part of me thinks that Khorbasi is going to to take those children to the hidden place and form a new group of humans who love the elves, and that's the last we'll see of them.

Thornbrake

P.S. @Trollbabe, as always you are hilarious. Love the profile pic!

Trollbabe

Thank you! It's my personal tribute to the disadvantaged races, Elf and Human.

There are four human children in Khorbasi's group, but the burnt girl holds a significance to me.

Freethinker

I liked this plot device. It was nice to see some compassion displayed.

Heather

I hope we get to know more about her and the others we saw in issue 2. The look on her face when Mender told her she had her pretty hair as well was priceless. It's amazing the amount of violence and tenderness that was shown by him in just a few panels.

I can't wait to see if we do get to know these children more.

Thornbrake

Heather said: I can't wait to see if we do get to know these children more.

Not me. I hated the "rescue the children" plot of New Blood: Forevergreen and Fire-Eye. This feels a little too close to that for me. I'm hoping that these kids learn a lesson about their culture's prejudice and myths about the elves, and move on from the spotlight. I prefer my Elfquest to focus on the elves themselves.

Heather

Thornbrake said: I prefer my Elfquest to focus on the elves themselves.

I do prefer that as well, but I would at least like to get to know their names, and as you said, see them learn some lessons. But I do agree, I would hate for the story to be over taken by humans again.

RedheadEmber

I'd like for the children to spend maybe some time with the elves, and then return to help rebuild the Longrider town, taking with them the knowledge of the elves to basically become the 'Peace Makers' of the Longriders.

MrsGrizzley

Given the culture... that might have been the first *compliment* the child had ever received, particularly since she was born female.

sulken

@MrsGrizzley given the supposed 'Eats-Asian-y' culture, she hears compliments all the time, particualary since she was born female. It's considered polite to give out compliments to anything one does, and girls/women get the extra portion of "you're so pretty; look so young; beautiful eyes/hair/ nose etc.". Believe me, I live "there" ;)

MrsGrizzley

@sulken Ahhh, see, I was making links from the whole "females-in-lesser-place" thing that the Djunlanders seem to have, at least in THIS day and time, and the girl's apparent reaction to a genuine compliment, one said without any sort of hidden agenda. I wasn't actually taking into account any parallels to real-world cultures.

Thanks for the additional information. Lots of things I don't know.

Trollbabe

Thornbrake, I wonder if they will be set aside like Nonna and Adar's adoptees.

StarShine

I am hoping that the little girl learns to love elves (she's clearly in Awe).

So we have to settle some place else and build a community of Elves & humans ( or something)! ( I am still in shock of ISSUE 1's revolations)

MrsGrizzley

I hereby vote for her name being Mercy or something of that flavor. Particularly given her origin as a fourth child when Ember authorized bringing three.

Trollbabe

Here's my take: Little Khorbasi is raised by Elves. The elves count to three on their fingers, by holding up all fingers except the thumb. When Khorbasi does the same, holding down his thumb, he ends up with four, which he calls "Three." Since Elves don't farm, use money or knit, this educational setback isn't noticed until he is told to bring back "three" children. Or at least that is the excuse he prepares for his tribemates.

MrsGrizzley

*chuckle* If they even think to ask because I have a feeling they've got bigger fish to fry, so to speak, at the moment. Perfect timing to bend a rule, I must say. And given the condition of the girl when she was carried in... I don't think anyone's going to argue with him bringing her along. She could have easily died before they even *reached* Mender, so this is perfectly understandable.

Embala

*chuckles @Trollbabe*

When Khorbasi is half through this explanation Ember will approve almost everything to make him stop twisting her mind! :D

RedheadEmber

Well... bite me in the nose and call me stupid*!
We actually see the moment when she gets burned during issue #1. How come I never noticed that before?

*Not literally!

RichardPini

Heather said: But I do agree, I would hate for the story to be over taken by humans again.

Never happen. (Some day - if you're all very good and well-behaved - I'll share some behind-the-scenes stories about this.)

Heather

RichardPini said: Never happen. (Some day - if you're all very good and well-behaved - I'll share some behind-the-scenes stories about this.)

Woot! Woot! And we'll be good...promise.

Trollbabe

It's going to be taken over by Trolls. But don't tell the Pinis.

RedheadEmber

Possible mini-spoiler.

And now she almost fell over a cliff. Poor child just can't catch a breath.

Llannen

The whole burn scene was heart wrenching for me. I try to be all apathetic and nonchalant reading about the humans because of the roller coaster of emotions the elves take us on and then elfmom and elfpop have to make me care about the humans and the animals (not that I didn't, but all the sudden I'm stressed out about everybody because I'm so invested into them). Then I find that I've been having an adrenaline overload the entire time I'm reading. It's almost a release and relief to finish reading. This little girl (Mercy? I like that) is going to be the death of me. Someone tie her down!

Trollbabe

I wonder if the four children end up escaping together by chance, or if any of them are friends or relatives?

BTW I've always thought the human families in Elfquest are rather small.

RedheadEmber

The other girl (Molli) is the one who wraps the burned girl into the blanket, and one of the boys is seen escaping with them.

Embala

The two boys and the girl were introduced in the Regocnition Summer Special already ... at least there were very similar looking characters going with different names, tho. Those boys (Halu and Aupa) occured to me as members of a clique of youngsters - friends maybe but not family. The girl (Moli) was the niece of Anamara from Mender's Tale ... pictured as a leader type.

Of course their background can have changed as much as their names in TFQ. As long as there is no prove otherwise in the story they are just friends and agemates for me who teamed up by chance during the attack.

RedheadEmber

Aaaaand; she has a name! (Or rather, her name has been revealed, suppose she's had it all the time):

Tingeh, like it. :-j

Embala

RedheadEmber said: Tingeh, like it.
@Trollbabe Would be great when you edit your thread and add the girl's name to the title. :)

MrsGrizzley

*laugh* She has a name and it's NOT Sinder or Cinda or Syndir or even ye olde Cinderella! *giggle*

I really like her name, to be honest. Hooray for Tingeh!