ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest Final Quest #4

ChristinaRaibert

One thing that I've been wondering... the blurb for #5 greatly emphasizes that Teir is in danger, no less than Ember. Is it just from his fall - or you think he could be captured by the Djunsmen? When Rathol dies, it says that his soldiers "unwittingly grant (the elves) time for Pool's healing" - kinda seems to suggest that they didn't tail back and might still be around to cause troubles.

RedheadEmber

I just think it's simply because he can't swim...

travelbug

I think he can swim. In Wild Hunt he catches fish with his hands for the tribe.
However, that fall from the mountain is extremely high, so the impact when he reach the water might very well knock him unconceus, if it doesn't kill him. And the river is roaring wild, so it may be impossible to swim at all.

Thornbrake

Arthis said: Beside, I still don't understand Ember's choice... She said "I must do... but for Teir" and the result is putting Teir in even greater danger...

I think the idea is that the connection with Ember is distracting Teir from his primary task: leading the Wolfriders in escaping Rathol and the Djunsmen. By cutting it off, Teir won't feel Ember's pain as the Djun tortures her. From her point of view, if Teir or any of the Wolfriders dies because they are focusing on her, then her sacrificing herself is in vain.

travelbug

Teir felt everything Ember felt because of the bond of recognition, but he didn't see it through her eyes. Imagine what he would feel if she was tortured? And not being able to know what what was happening to Ember, only feel her pain and fear. It would be as much torture to Teir, as to Ember.
To me it makes perfect sense to "shut him out" like that to protect him from feeling something that would make him go insane.

RedheadEmber

Thought it might've been possible she could have waited just a liiiitle bit longer, just until Teir and co. were at the top of the cliffs. But of course if she thought the torture was gonna start that very next moment, and/or didn't know Teir was busy rock climbing.

ChristinaRaibert

travelbug said: To me it makes perfect sense to "shut him out" like that to protect him from feeling something that would make him go insane.

So kinda like Vaya did with Pike in the Elf-Troll war? ;) (Ironic thing is that while the same thing is happening to Ember and Teir, this time it's Pike - and the rest of the Wild Hunt - who is getting rescued by his three Go-Backs love interests.)

WolfCandy

Every time I see this thread it taunts me! DX Mine was supposed to come in the mail today, but it hasn't :(

travelbug

@christina yes, just like Vaya did with Pike, and Strongbow with Timmain when they first met.

@Wolfcandy, I haven't got my hard copy either. I'm on a emailing list at my local comicshop, and still haven't heard a thing. I'm vey tempted to just order it online instead.
I concider it important to support my local comic shop (otherwise it may not always exist) but it is a challenge.
I'm so happy Dark Horse has the web comics, at least I least I can read it digitally :D

Arthis

I understand why she did this, but it seems so inefficient...
I'm still not sure been captured was the best move in the first place...

travelbug

The way I read it, she lets herself get captured to give Mender time to save Teir who was knocked unconceous and the rest of the tribe to get away.
In the way that the war men may not try to get Mender and kill the rest of the tribe, if they have her. She is simply buying time for her tribe to escape.
I dont think she had any idea how dangerous it would be for her, and recognition probably stopped her from thinking straight in the first place.

(Personally I think sending for the archers to take out the group of war men would have been much better, but I guess Wendy and Richardell the story this way because if all Ember's tribe did was run and hide from Angrif Djun, they wouldn't learn important things from him. Like what he actually is capable of)

WolfCandy

@travelbug, I must confess, I haven't even bothered to check in with my local comic shop :$ It is good of you to support yours!

travelbug

I'm on the verge of changing my mind... If I can hold of until #5 comes out, I'll get it online instead.