ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

It’s The Elfquest Show!

Warp Graphics

It’s The Elfquest Show!
It’s The Elfquest Show!

http://www.elfquest.com/its-the-elfquest-show/

Drum roll... Hats off to supreme Questers Ryan Browne and David Mizejewski, who have created the very first podcast devoted exclusively to Elfquest! The ...

StarShine

Well I will now be listening to this.

lunakat

I loved this podcast! It was so much fun to listen to!

Thornbrake

Glad you guys are enjoying it!

Tavie

GOTS to listen to this as soon as I can - very exciting!!

Thornbrake

Post your question or things you'd like us to talk about. We're going to be doing episodes on the Special and issue#1 soon!

Nightsea

Cool podcast! Are you going to be having other guests in future episodes? I'd volunteer perhaps if the tech could be worked out (I'm sure I can't travel just now for
the sole purpose of being in the same room, but with Skype/etc. we could figure it
out to be online at the same time maybe to record some conversation).

*spoiler alert* I haven't read issue #2 yet myself (only the snippet posted online…the
first 4 pages), but I'd guess Krim's "It isn't just to the palace" might mean she's going back to Scot!

Topic suggestion for the review of the Prologue: the ever changing ears of Krill!
On every page we see her, her ears are different styles! I wonder if she gets them
changed with the tides? /end silly nitpick.

:)
--Nightsea

MrsGrizzley

Hey, some people have a million pairs of shoes... Krill visits the Healers every other week to switch out to a new pair of ears. It's different things for different people.

ChristinaRaibert

Nightsea said: the ever changing ears of Krill!
On every page we see her, her ears are different styles!

*chuckles* Believe me, Skimback is far worse there! As of FQ#2, Krill only changed her ears when Korafay's birth was approximating; at the "day long party" she had them shaped exactly like Brill's, and somewhat differently (but still with the scalloped edges) when Skywise and Leetah left the holt. Usually instead the shape she sported more often was near-regular, with slightly longer earlobes; even in "Turning Tide" where she has only a few sporadic appearance there always seem to be something near the base of her ears that could be flesh-shaped earlobes. The switch in the Final Quest Special might have something to do with the celebration at hand - we haven't really seen her afterwards so there's no saying if she chose to "stick" to that look or went back to the old one.

But Skimback? Check from his very first appearance in Turning Tide (forked tips with a ridge on the ear) and all through the NWD stories, up to Discovery! It's like he's only recently decided which shape suits him best XD Even in Discovery there was a point when he just went for extra-long earlobes... and that was after sticking to his current look (which is similar to Snakeskin's) for longer than he has ever done in the past! I'll put up a collection of his flesh-shaping extravaganza laterz - but really, I always found it hilariously silly of him :D *huggles Skimback*

StarShine

Listening to the Podcast now, I kinda wanna see more. I wanna come play a part of this...

I feel like having a supplemental cast covering the original Quest on to... (Sooo much stuff).

hmm.. might be worth considering. Would you all mind sharing the Internet waves ( tubes?)? EQ podcast? ( covering the older material?)

RichardPini

StarShine said: hmm.. might be worth considering. Would you all mind sharing the Internet waves ( tubes?)? EQ podcast? ( covering the older material?)

LOL! Possibly, but I'm so old school I need this translated into simple English first!

StarShine

Simply Translated: Since Thornbrake & Co are doing "The Final Quest", I propose a "Elquest Show #2: (Original, Seige, Kings, Shards & Hidden Years) ( geezes that's a ton of material to cover)...

So we might need to just take it Issue by Issue, I don't plan on having a regular co-host (unless someone wants to volunteer..)

But Perhaps focusing one issue at a time of the ' 35 years of history'... so that way they can read and listen along to impressions by fans.

I am pondering having guest-co hosts (any forum fan with a mic & Free time can 'signup' for some time on a show ( at least that is my thought).

Thornbrake

The beautiful thing is that the technology is out there for anyone who wants to create a podcast, and I personally think the more Elfquest discussion out there, in whatever form, the better.

Ryan and I are definitely going to do episodes beyond just the Final Quest, but that doesn't mean others can't do them as well!

StarShine

That's cool. I guess I just don't want to tread on toes.

RichardPini

StarShine said: That's cool. I guess I just don't want to tread on toes.

Go for it. (The podcasts, not the toe-treading!)

Songchaser

Whoo hoo I'm loving this podcast! Fun, and also helpful, because I basically stopped reading after the Shards series started and didn't pick EQ up again until pretty recently. I'm in the process of catching up, but it's going to take a while! So I really like that you're pointing out connections to and referencing older issues. For next time, I vote for wolf pup co-hosts.

Thornbrake

With the issue #3 of Final Quest just over two weeks away, Ryan Browne and I have recorded not one but TWO new episodes of The Elfquest Show podcast.

This time we (tried to) focus on Final Quest Special. We get a bit rambly at certain points (hence two episodes) but we think you'll all enjoy the conversation. There will be a third episode dedicated to the Final Quest Special because believe it or not we barely scratched the surface!

Let us know if you have questions or comments and we'll address them next episode! Ayoooah!

lunakat

Yay!

Thornbrake

So, anyone have any questions or things you'd like us to discuss? We have one more episode focused on the Final Quest Special, and then we'll have one about issue #1.

Yngvar

Is there any way to listen to the podcast offline? I've downloaded the Soundcloud app to my Android phone, but I didn't find that option. Nor can I find a download button on the web page. I thought that was the whole point with "podcasting" as opposed to "streaming." I would have liked to listen to it while walking, or on the bus, but as it is that would require using the expensive mobile data, if I have a mobile connection at all.

Rob

Download buttons can be turned on in soundcloud, for sure

lunakat

Yes, for sure. Say... when do we get another episode?! I'm jones-ing!

Thornbrake

@yngvar, I 'me still learning Soundcloud myself, but Ryan and I will figure out how to enable downloading episodes.

@lunakat, I'm just returning from a week in the woods totally unplugged, and am in the process of buying a house and getting ready for three work trips in the next three weeks -- but we are hoping to record again late next week. Stay tuned and THANK YOU for your enthusiasm. It makes doing these worth it!

lunakat

Yay! And congratulations on the house!

Thornbrake

@lunakat thanks! We are currently negotiating but are close to sealing the deal. Fingers crossed!

RichardPini

This just in from Ryan Browne:

Hey gang! The ElfQuest Show is now available on iTunes! Join me (Ryan Browne) and David Miz as we discuss the Final Quest and all things ElfQuest! Please let us know what other sites you'd like to see the show posted on, and we'll do our best to get added!

You can access all three (so far) episodes for free right here.

Thornbrake

Thanks for sharing the awesome news, @RichardPini! You beat me to it! :x

Thornbrake

Oh, I should add that it would be wonderful if folks left a comment and recommendation on iTunes. That will help the show get higher in the podcast rankings so more fans can find it.

RedheadEmber

This is awesome. B-)
Never thought I'd like podcasts this much, but I do.

BTW @Thornbrake, you're a great yapper! And so's the guest!

So... how many episodes are you gonna make covering the Final Quest Special? 10? 20? ;)

Tavie

I FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY started listening to this, only two months late. This is fantastic. The only thing missing is beers, and us all sitting around a table joining in the conversation!

Well, when I get home, I guess I can listen with beers...

RedheadEmber

Tavie said: Well, when I get home, I guess I can listen with beers...

Funny... I always used my ears to listen! =P~

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: Funny... I always used my ears to listen!

Can't we use both?
~O)

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: This is awesome. B-)
Never thought I'd like podcasts this much, but I do.

BTW @Thornbrake, you're a great yapper! And so's the guest!

So... how many episodes are you gonna make covering the Final Quest Special? 10? 20?

So glad you're enjoying the podcast! The "guest" is my co-host and the podcast producer Ryan Browne. And yes, I can get on a roll once I start talking Elfquest!
=P~

Our plan is to do an episode per issue of Final Quest, along with some special episodes along the way as time allows.

RedheadEmber

I was thinking of the other guest. The one that was literally yapping.
You've already done two episodes for the Special, and you've hardly reached Korafay's birth.

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: I was thinking of the other guest. The one that was literally yapping.
You've already done two episodes for the Special, and you've hardly reached Korafay's birth.

OOOOOOhhhh, that would be Lucky! Yeah, we jabbered on for so long he was finally like, "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!"

Next up is to do one more on the Final Quest Special before moving on to issue #3. Soon!

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: Next up is to do one more on the Final Quest before moving on to issue #3. Soon!

You mean, one more on the Special before moving on the issue #3? It's all the Final Quest.

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: You mean, one more on the Special before moving on the issue #3? It's all the Final Quest.

Yes that is what I meant. Just edited the post and corrected it.

RedheadEmber

And then you should be heading to bed. You're obviously tired! I-)

RichardPini

Thornbrake said: Oh, I should add that it would be wonderful if folks left a comment and recommendation on iTunes.

Everyone, do not overlook this part of @Thornbrake's post. Feedback is very important in the very competitive world of the interwebs.

Thornbrake

Thanks @RichardPini! Snd thanks for leaving a great review of the show on iTunes.

Tavie

RichardPini said: Everyone, do not overlook this part of @Thornbrake's post. Feedback is very important in the very competitive world of the interwebs.

I just want to point out that I left a review BEFORE @RichardPini nagged about it!

Thornbrake

Tavie said: I just want to point out that I left a review BEFORE @RichardPini nagged about it!

You get a cookie! ;)

RichardPini

Tavie said: I just want to point out that I left a review BEFORE @RichardPini nagged about it!

Thornbrake said: You get a cookie!

Make it a box of cookies if she can get ten other people each to leave a comment, and they each get ten others. B-)

Thornbrake

Yes!

Tavie

travelbug

I just heard the first podcast, and I really enjoyed it :)
It made me view #2 in different ways, take another look at the drawings and notice little details I missed previously. I would have liked it to to go a bit more page by page.
The podcast made me feel more part of a fan community. I liked hearing voices instead of reading posts online.The only other fan around here is my 3 year old and we read the comics, but its not much discussion.
I plan to hear the other two podcasts in the next couple of days :)

Heather

I left my review! 8->

Thornbrake

Thank you for your feedback @travelbug! This is exactly why we created the podcast. Your full comment above would make great feedback on iTunes. You can simply cut and paste it there. It's as simple as going here and click "View in iTunes" then click on "Ratings and Reviews" and you can leave a review. Reviews make the podcast rank higher in search in iTunes and will get more people exposed to Elfquest.

RedheadEmber

But doesn't it require that you actually have iTunes in order to do that?

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: But doesn't it require that you actually have iTunes in order to do that?

iTunes is available for free for just about any computer made these days. It has become one of those "indispensible" add-ons, like Adobe Reader for pdf files.

https://apple.com/itunes/download/

Wolfbyke

I am feeling quite inept at the moment, having spent the better part of an hour trying to find "the forums" and I keep finding articles with responses (which I have to stop to read because, ELFQUEST) and then I began to wonder to myself, maybe THIS is "the forums?"

So anyway...I finally got to listen to episode one (so grateful I could put it on my ipod nano to listen to on my hour long daily commute to/from work since I couldn't figure out soundcloud) and right about 6 minutes into it I'm already muttering at it. "No, they're not TRAPPED" I say, as IF David or Ryan could even remotely hear me. Well then I reminded myself that they CAN "hear" me if I comment on the forums!

Now that I have the boring preamble out of the way...THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR DOING THIS!!

At about 6 minutes in, they're struggling to describe what happens to the elf's spirit when the elf dies. I believe the term they were searching for (they tried trapped, tied, bound) is TETHERED. In astral projection there is a silver cord that tethers the spirit to the body, kind of like a grounding point so the spirit can "remember" where to return to. So it is my opinion, that when the elf's body dies, the tether snaps and reaches for the most familiar to ground itself once again. And what is more familiar to the immortal elves than the palace of the high ones or the holts to the wolfriders? Winnowill didn't *belong* ANYWHERE so of course she went into some sort of limbo until Rayek got to her. Anyway...that's just my opinion.

Near the end, when the criticisms begin about how Wendy & Richard did this or that, mainly Ember's decision to surrender, putting Tier in charge, and the Djun not being in enough pain...really annoyed me.

First, it's THEIR story, THEY'RE telling it, who are any of us to opine, that they're doing it wrong? How can they be doing it wrong? This part just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

Second, if I were to entertain their criticisms, I think their arguments for Ember's surrender were probably close to what they meant, and as they mentioned a number of times, how Ember & Tier were connected on at least a subconscious level. So it was probably just instinct on Ember's part, to put her mate in charge. Seeing the Djun teach Ember what fear is, all of his instruments of pain, reminds me of a BDSM dungeon. Perhaps he is a masochist and ENJOYS the pain of his berries being nearly sundered from the sac from which they came. Plus, he's confident he's going to get Mender to fix em, so maybe he can compartmentalize the pain into fodder to scare Ember with? Just alternate explanations as to why Wendy & Richard did it this way, not agreeing that they did it wrong.

Now that I've babbled on and on enough to drive any editor with ocd crazy, I hope I didn't offend. You've pointed out things that never even occurred to me (in the artwork/inks/layouts/history), and inspires me to read them yet again. It's almost like you've told us where the easter eggs are and turned us loose to go get them! I'm looking very much forward to the next episode (I've downloaded all 3 from itunes) and arguing with it in my truck. :D

Thornbrake

Wolfbyke said: and right about 6 minutes into it I'm already muttering at it. "No, they're not TRAPPED" I say, as IF David or Ryan could even remotely hear me. Well then I reminded myself that they CAN "hear" me if I comment on the forums!

Heh heh, then we must be doing something right! We WANT you guys to shout and react and "talk" to us -- and this is the perfect place to do it!

Wolfbyke said: TETHERED

YES! That's the exact word!

Wolfbyke said: Near the end, when the criticisms begin about how Wendy & Richard did this or that, mainly Ember's decision to surrender, putting Tier in charge, and the Djun not being in enough pain...really annoyed me.

First, it's THEIR story, THEY'RE telling it, who are any of us to opine, that they're doing it wrong? How can they be doing it wrong? This part just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

We absolutely agree that it's Wendy and Richard's story to tell and our goal was definitely not to negatively criticize. At the same time, Ryan and I both feel that to have a good podcast and a genuine discussion, we want to express the things that perplex or trouble or confuse us (and other fans) and talk about them. But we completely recognize that it's just our opinion and we will be better about making that clear.

And you should definitely listen to episode #2 because we come back to the discussion about Ember's decision after Wendy clarified some things about it on Facebook. After you listen to that one, let us know what you think here.

Wolfbyke said: You've pointed out things that never even occurred to me (in the artwork/inks/layouts/history), and inspires me to read them yet again. It's almost like you've told us where the easter eggs are and turned us loose to go get them! I'm looking very much forward to the next episode (I've downloaded all 3 from itunes) and arguing with it in my truck.

YAY!! Please keep giving us feedback! Thanks for listening and we're so happy that you enjoyed the show!

Thornbrake

We did it! Ryan and I did a three hour recording session last night finishing our discussion of the Final Quest Special, resulting in TWO new episodes of The Elfquest Show podcast!

Episodes 4 and 5 are up on Soundcloud and iTunes and ready for your listening pleasure.

Let us know your thoughts, reactions and things you want us to discuss about the issue #1, which we'll tackle in our next episode.

RichardPini

Thornbrake said: We absolutely agree that it's Wendy and Richard's story to tell and our goal was definitely not to negatively criticize. At the same time, Ryan and I both feel that to have a good podcast and a genuine discussion, we want to express the things that perplex or trouble or confuse us (and other fans) and talk about them.

Let me throw our two dreamberries in here and say, we totally "get" that people have feelings, reactions, speculations, favorites, pet peeves, etc. about Elfquest. It would be a dull world indeed if the only thing to happen when a new issue (or a new podcast) came out was "That was nice. What's next?" We enjoy a good round of discussion, especially if it gets others' imaginations going. For what we hope are obvious reasons, we can't get too involved with those discussions - first, because we do know the story we want to tell and that's how it's going to go down. Second, because we may tease but we'll never give away anything that could be a spoiler. Third, we must avoid any potential for someone saying "Hey, you got that idea from me!" And fourth, time!

All that said, however, we enjoy the free-for-alls that get started here. And, when we can, we'll even join in.

RedheadEmber

Weeee! New episode! :bz :bz

Hey, just listening to the Episode (3) right now. Just have a few comments:

The Wavedancers seem to most definitely be quite a bit older than the other elves; remember how Brill told Sunstream that Moonmirror, Tumble and Puffer were "older than you but so young."

I think Reef is still a healer, or at least he has the ability to become a healer (again). His time as 'The Broken One' just means that he's basically lost his healing ability.
So basically he's like Redlance was before his powers blossomed; he has the magic but not the ability to use it.

The story with Thiro is HY#9. B-)

Yurek was the 'Rebel' from Voll's flash back. It's in his Character Bio.

Llannen

Finally FINALLY joining the party.....Instead of listening the traffic report and same old same old on my commute, dare I say it, I am so looking forward to driving tomorrow to start listening to these.

Once I have, I will pop back in with questions to add. And maybe some observations. Thank you for doing all of this so I don't feel alone in my passion for Elfquest.

Tavie

Spending this slow, lonely work day catching up with the podcast (with one headphone plugged into my ear)

I just want to reiterate how fun it is to hear David and Ryan's back-and-forth. It's slow at work that I'm actually pulling up Digital Dark Horse in another tab so I can read along as I listen...

This is the first non-comedy podcast I've ever listened to, by the way. I'm engaging in what my father would proudly call "FanAc" (which is short for Fan Activity in his addled brain, and is necessary to be considered a True Fan in his mind). I feel sufficiently geeky. I love it.

Wolfbyke

I love how it's so organic. They seem to have a list of things they want to talk about, simply to ensure they don't forget to include key points. But there's no rigid script. It's like these guys are sitting around my coffee table saying "Did you see this on that page? No?! ZOMG! Lemme show you!" I haven't found much to argue about in the 2nd and 3rd podcasts. I DID have a "wtf?" moment when the 2nd one didn't really have an ending, it just...stopped. I didn't realize it was just part one of a 4 part series until the 3rd podcast started. This has been so much fun to listen to, keep up the good work! :D

RedheadEmber

Wolfbyke said: I love how it's so organic. They seem to have a list of things they want to talk about, simply to ensure they don't forget to include key points. But there's no rigid script. It's like these guys are sitting around my coffee table saying "Did you see this on that page? No?! ZOMG! Lemme show you!"

Yeah! Of course it means that sometimes they go off some tangents, but it's cool. B-)

Tavie

Also, Ryan's Canadian accent is just great. I love Canadian accents.

Tavie

I only have one episode left until I'm caught up. THEN WHAT.

TALK MOAR.

Tavie

Guest interviewee suggestions: you need to talk to both @Heather [LADY PERSPECTIVE PLZ] & @Rob, because I've been present while those two and @Thornbrake discuss Elfquest and it's really impressive (and makes me scurry back to reread things and try and catch up)

Also, I respectfully DEMAND that Rob use his most sinister poky little puppy voice throughout the discussion.

>:D @-) :x [I don't know what Ryan's Elf-counterpart would be or I would add that too]

lunakat

Hey Guys! Loved your last couple of podcasts! I'm going to outgeek you both here, and point out that it wasn't Leetah's stray thought that misdirected the pod- it was Skywise's. She made the remark about dancing in the sand... and that made him think about Sorrow's End just as they were taking off. And since he was piloting- that's where they ended up. I have no idea what that means- probably just the same thing you concluded- that he didn't have the best control.

Thanks again! Cheers!

RedheadEmber

Tavie said: >:D @-) :x [I don't know what Ryan's Elf-counterpart would be or I would add that too]

Love how Rob's Elf-counterpart is @-). Not =)) or :D

Llannen

On my run today I had a momentary panic attack because what happens when I've caught up, like Tavie said

I only have one episode left until I'm caught up. THEN WHAT.

TALK MOAR

In the second podcast, I think the word "enlightenment" best fits the way we fans adapt to the weaving and merging of the years and years of stories. There were several story lines I was "meh" on in the 90s and love that there is incorporation into the Final Quest of those story lines....because it is making me go back and read them and try to gain a different appreciation for them.

The Go Back history....I always envisioned Willowgreen's trickery was that her cub by recognition with Graywolf was passed off as Two Spear's cub......

Being a newbie jumping into the fray of the forums please let me know if there are threads I need to go read when I post my musings too.

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: Love how Rob's Elf-counterpart is @-). Not =)) or

I calls 'em like I sees 'em

Thornbrake

lunakat said: it wasn't Leetah's stray thought that misdirected the pod- it was Skywise's. She made the remark about dancing in the sand... and that made him think about Sorrow's End just as they were taking off. And since he was piloting- that's where they ended up.

Very good point!

RichardPini

lunakat said: ...it wasn't Leetah's stray thought that misdirected the pod- it was Skywise's. She made the remark about dancing in the sand... and that made him think about Sorrow's End just as they were taking off.

Even for a magical pod, back-seed driving can be a distraction...

Llannen

Listening to episode four (haven't finished it) had another tangent thought of mine....when they were discussing the fear of the Wavedancers and morose nature of the Gliders from being sequestered....I try not to get into politics and such but it made me think about governments/countries that have one leader for that leader's life and how it leads to stagnation. Except for the case of the Sunfolk but Savah is like the Dalai Lama to me and those leaders are few and far between.

Then thought about the palace having power, from the spirits'.....and it seems to be nonjudgemental power and can be used for good or evil depending on the living elf/elves direction.....and I wonder if Winnowill's spirit was incorporated or directed into the castle how that would be an enslaving of her power. But that raises the discussion or suggestion that has been hinted at about there might be more or choice (?) of where the spirit goes after death.

Thornbrake

Episode Six of the Elfquest Show Podcast is now up on Soundcloud and iTunes for your listening pleasure!

This episode, Ryan and I kick if off by responding to listener comments and questions and then dive into Issue #1 of the Final Quest. Enjoy!

Here's the iTunes link and here's the Soundcloud link.

Thornbrake

Also, we decided not to break the episode up into multiple installments. We think that will make it a little less confusing to know which episode to listen to, and make the page less cluttered.

Now, instead of having to listen to multiple episodes per issue and having to listen to the same intro and outro each time, you can just pause and pick up where you left off if you can't listen to the whole thing in one sitting.

Let us know your thoughts and preferences!

RedheadEmber

:bz

IIIiih! More episode!

I probably shouldn't start listening to this now, coz I know I won't be able to stop until it's finished. But I won't regret it!

You got plenty of time to make the episode for issue #3!

~O)

@Thornbrake, you are writing (partly at least) those bios?
Now I feel really stupid pointing something out you wrote yourself...

Heather

@thornbrake, @rob and myself have been working on them. Don't worry if you point somehthing out! :)

RedheadEmber

It just feels kinda if I'd told Wendy and Richard that... BTW; One-Eye was killed by a troll... :ar!

Okay... seriously... you gotta stop talking about bobbing around in the Palace.
To me the only person seen 'bobbing around' is Lutei.

The only example of a friendship between Moonshade and Rainsong is the fact that it was Rainsong who was tasked with comforting Moonshade after Crescent was killed.

I actually quite like the idea of Teir being Kahvi's son; in part because it would mean that Kahvi's plan to reunite the bloodlines by having a child with Cutter (during 'Kahvi' - if that happened...) will actually happen with their children.

I think Ember may prefer the spear (for hunting and if she's prepared for a battle) but if she isn't - like in issue #1 - then she's completely proficient with her sword.

You forgot something else: The Orgy! Don't forget the orgy!

lunakat

@RedheadEmber.. Zhantee has also been spotted bobbing around- as have a bunch of GoBacks, and Surge and his wife, if not bobbing, definitely manifested in the air somewhere.

RedheadEmber

But, for those others they mentioned they (at least the way I understood) indicated that they might be alive.

As a general rule; bobbing elves in the Palace aren't alive.

lunakat

The ones I just mentioned were definitely dead. So Lutei isn't the only person a bobbin.

RedheadEmber

I know. But Thornbrake and Ryan speculated that Jarrah, Ingen, and Ahnshen might still be alive (at least I think it was that it was about) and used the term 'bobbing around'.
Of course; for most Sun Villagers whether they're dead or alive they'd be in the Palace.

Tavie

Love the shout-out in the new episode, Ryan - just one thing: Tavie rhymes with GRAVY! :) (not savvy) (hee hee)

Still listening so more feedback later!

lunakat

We don't really know who's alive and who's dead at this point. A lot of elves were killed during the raid on the Sunvillage- and others probably died of other events in the 10,000 plus years that they hung out in the desert. The same for the Go Backs. Go Backs all live rough and tumble lives- and many generations probably lived and died in that time.

I haven't heard the podcast yet- but I'm really excited to sit down and listen as soon as I can.

Tavie

Tavie said: Love the shout-out in the new episode, Ryan - just one thing: Tavie rhymes with GRAVY! :) (not savvy) (hee hee)

Still listening so more feedback later!

OK, so later in the podcast Ryan then goes on to pronounce my name correctly re: his Canadian accent, so that's also pretty hilarious.

I am going to join Lehrigen, Yun and others in the ranks of "characters" that cause Ryan's pronunciation skills pause!

PS, something @Thornbrake said made me pause the podcast, go read a profile (Yurek's) which linked to a page in the comics and then I found myself basically sitting here rereading the comics online for a good hour or so. A pleasant rabbithole to fall down, to be sure.

All of this talk of Kahvi and Two-Spear and magic pools and such reminds me that I never actually did read those miniserieseseses. And it's in question, right, whether that's canon and whether Kahvi's actually Two-Spear's daughter? (Or is that accepted as canon? I get so confused.) So... SHOULD I go back and read those series? Or will they just confuse me if they turn out not to be canon? (More details to try to keep straight, etc)? Are they worth reading?

Tavie

Still listening, with some meanderings to poke into the comics here and there, and can I just point out that the speculation by @Thornbrake about 1:18 into the latest episode, that maybe Aroree and Venka would be the same-sex pairing that's been hinted at, was also speculated by me on July 2?

Great minds, David. Great minds.

Tavie

OK, the Rainsong/Moonshade Friendship Challenge. My submissions:

#1: Rainsong comforts Moonshade after Crescent's death.

#2: Rainsong and Moonshade share a moment as the Sun Villagers greet Timmain in KotBW.

The first one was easy to remember. The second one took some hunting - and I'm not sure if it even counts!

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: It just feels kinda if I'd told Wendy and Richard that... BTW; One-Eye was killed by a troll... :ar!

Heh heh, no need to feel like that. :D

Heather said: Don't worry if you point somehthing out!

Exactly!

RedheadEmber said: you gotta stop talking about bobbing around in the Palace.
To me the only person seen 'bobbing around' is Lutei.

Well, technically, the term is "bopping" and I have no idea where I got it from, but it applies to both the living and those in spirit form. It means "just hanging out enjoying yourself and doing your thing." >-)

Tavie said: Ryan - just one thing: Tavie rhymes with GRAVY!

I wasn't going to correct him again on pronunciation!

Tavie said: I am going to join Lehrigen, Yun and others in the ranks of "characters" that cause Ryan's pronunciation skills pause!

THAT'S the spirit! >:>

Tavie said: PS, something @Thornbrake said made me pause the podcast, go read a profile (Yurek's) which linked to a page in the comics and then I found myself basically sitting here rereading the comics online for a good hour or so. A pleasant rabbithole to fall down, to be sure.

Yes, that is exactly the idea. We (@Rob, @Heather and I, under @RichardPini's direction) wanted the profiles to give readers a sense of WHO the characters are vs. just a laundry list of WHAT they've done in the story. The hyperlinks drive people to actually go read (or re-read) the story. >:D

Tavie said: can I just point out that the speculation by @Thornbrake about 1:18 into the latest episode, that maybe Aroree and Venka would be the same-sex pairing that's been hinted at, was also speculated by me on July 2?

Great minds, indeed! :((

Tavie said: #2: Rainsong and Moonshade share a moment as the Sun Villagers greet Timmain in KotBW.

Ding Ding Ding - that's the one! I'm not sure what kind of prize we can offer, but we'll mention that you are the first to identify that scenes I was referring to in the episode. That small background scene in KotBW, along with the events of Wolfrider, just make me feel like Woodlock and Rainsong had a close relationship with Moonshade and Strongbow.

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: That small background scene in KotBW, along with the events of Wolfrider, just make me feel like Woodlock and Rainsong had a close relationship with Moonshade and Strongbow.

Well... Dart definitely continued the tradition of close links with the Woodlock-Rainsong Family:
First he was lovemates with Newstar when they were younger.
Then he had a cub with Serrin (Wing's daughter).
And now he's close friends with Kimo (Newstar's son).

Tavie

Thornbrake said: Ding Ding Ding - that's the one! I'm not sure what kind of prize we can offer, but we'll mention that you are the first to identify that scenes I was referring to in the episode. That small background scene in KotBW, along with the events of Wolfrider, just make me feel like Woodlock and Rainsong had a close relationship with Moonshade and Strongbow.

WOO! I WIN!

I also like noticing stuff like that - the background hints and relationships that never made it to the foreground but were obviously there. And it makes total sense - they were both mothers of young cubs at the same time. Play group moms.

lunakat

And that's why Tavie rhymes with gravy!

Hey guys- I finally got a chance to listen to your most recent podcast. Thanks for the shout-outs! That was really cool!

Just as a response to the whole Kahvi/Tier's mom business.. If Thornbrake is right, and there are a limited number of elves on the planet- I actually think that makes the notion of Tier, as Kahvi's son, stumbling across Ember's tribe... even more implausible. Because that means that- of all the places on the planet- this guy just happened to be on Ember's continent in that same area of the non-woods... and that seems increasingly, statistically unlikely the more you reduce the numbers of elves.

I mean- the Go Backs started off on Cutter's continent- and they started off on foot, wandering away from the Frozen Mountains. So.. To end up where Ember is, they had to cross and ocean (on foot?). And then, thousands of years later, Kahvi would have had to cross the same ocean (on Tyldak?) and found them...
And then tier would have had to have wandered around that continent, thousands of years later, until stumbling across Ember's small group by sheer chance. Not likely.

Edited in:
That would be like if your dad's cousin in Prague, who you knew as a kid (who, incidentally, had the major hots for your dad), wandered around Europe on foot for ten years, before catching a paddle boat or hang gliding across the Atlantic to the Americas (let's say they landed in Virginia) then wandered in some random direction on foot until giving birth to a kid... Who somehow, on foot, ended up in Kansas, at the exact bar you frequent after work... In a small town you just happened to settle in a week earlier because your car ran out of gas on a cross country drive and you realized home prices were cheap... And then you both fell madly in love because this second cousin of yours also just happened to be your one and only predestined soul mate.

Continents are large.
Edit concluded.

I really liked the long format, btw. I listen to this while working- and it lulls me into a blissful, productive state. Thanks again!

RedheadEmber

Yeah... I also listened to it in one go. But of course, if you'd done like what you did with the two previous episodes; posting them separatedly, but at the same time, I probably would've listened to them in one go as well.

Thornbrake

lunakat said: Hey guys- I finally got a chance to listen to your most recent podcast. Thanks for the shout-outs! That was really cool!

You're welcome! You have strong ideas and you articulate them well and we wanted to talk about them.

lunakat said: I really liked the long format, btw. I listen to this while working- and it lulls me into a blissful, productive state.

Excellent. That's exactly what we want to hear!

lunakat said: If Thornbrake is right, and there are a limited number of elves on the planet- I actually think that makes the notion of Tier, as Kahvi's son, stumbling across Ember's tribe... even more implausible. Because that means that- of all the places on the planet- this guy just happened to be on Ember's continent in that same area of the non-woods... and that seems increasingly, statistically unlikely the more you reduce the numbers of elves.

So, it looks like I'm not going to change your opinion. 8-> I do think your points about the plausibility of Teir being Kahvi's son (as well as about Kahvi being Two-Spear's daughter) totally valid. But I also know that applying statistical likelihood to a fantasy story often sets one up for disappointment. =(( >:>

That said, when some plot development or character action or other element niggles away at my personal sense of logic or preference, I sometimes have to remind myself that Wendy and Richard are telling the story they want to tell, and that if I'm going to continue to enjoy Elfquest in the bigger picture, it's best to not focus on those particular things. Luckily, there are very few of those instances! :o3

lunakat

Saying something like "That's the story they want to tell" isn't really saying anything. Anybody can tell a story. But are they telling a good story? What makes a good story? "And then he woke up..." might be how I choose resolve all of my stories- but I think we can all agree that is not usually the most satisfying ending. By and large, the Pinis have told some really great stories- but not just because that's what they wanted to do. The stories are great because of solid character development, a well thought out plot in which the ending ties back into the beginning, the quality of the narration and dialogue, the fact that interesting themes are woven in and followed throughout the story, a satisfying resolution, and the fact that the story reads well on multiple levels- for adults and kids. That's what makes their stories great.

It's like artwork. Anyone can draw anything and say "Well, that's the picture I want to draw." But that doesn't mean it's good art. If you try to draw a house, for example, but you don't understand perspective and shading, or can't draw a straight line... chances are that isn't going to be the best drawing ever... unless, of course, you have some killer design skills or manage to make it awkwardly charming.

If you do understand all those tools, and decide, strategically, not to use them-- that is a different matter. You know what you are doing - and it will probably show. Storywise, I think Wendy did that in fudging the timelines a little bit. She couldn't make everything fit exactly- so she chose t be strategically vague. And that was smart. It worked well and got the effect she needed of making the important thig a fit. Nothing about that bothered me.

The Kahvi business bothers me because it kills my suspension of disbelief. I can choose to overlook it- but that ends up having to be a conscious choice, when it should happen naturally. It does the same thing to me, story wise, that realizing someone used the clone brush multiple times or the pre-programmed grass brush, when illustrating in Photoshop, does to my ability to appreciate a drawing. It just kicks me back out of it.

It doesn't bother you much- and that's great. We aren't probably going to agree- and I guess that's a good thing, because it means you are not having your suspension of disbelief snap like a circus tragedy! If that's working for you, I don't really want to convince you otherwise. Me? I'm still enjoying the story. I think the good elements well outweigh this one issue.

I actually don't blame the Pinis for Kahvi and Tier backstory tangles. I'm blaming whoever wrote the Kahvi miniseries. I don't want to know who that is- but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Wendy. This isn't Wendy's style- she tends to think things out better. As for Tier - I think that was already written into the Wild Hunt...
So who knows?

Cheers!

Rob

There were only about 6 unambiguously dead bodies after the raid on sorrow's end, IIRC. I figure there may well be more offstage, but there doesn't have to be. The whole thing, over in moments.

RedheadEmber

Hmm... who do we know died?

Shushen
Lutei
Zey
Jekko
The guy who killed Shushen

Tavie

Gotta say, the more of this thread I read, the happier I am that I never read the "Kahvi" or "Two Spear" miniseries.

I did read "Wild Hunt" but I don't remember much, to be honest. I'd forgotten that bit about Teir's parents (or was that in another series? see? I forget.) and I'll find it easy to continue to "forget" it if it turns out not to be canon.

RedheadEmber

The bit about Teir's parents was in the HY stories dealing with Ember's initial tribe.

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: The bit about Teir's parents was in the HY stories dealing with Ember's initial tribe.

Oh, I remember reading all of those too. And then forgetting.

Thank the High Ones this stuff is all online for me to reread.

lunakat

@Tavie- I've concluded it's best to be like the Wolfriders, when reading Final Quest- and live in the "now of wolf-thought"!

Tavie

lunakat said: @Tavie- I've concluded it's best to be like the Wolfriders, when reading Final Quest- and live in the "now of wolf-thought"!

~O)

RichardPini

Lordy, lordy, I am so looking forward to November, 2017...

lunakat

Hey! You wanted discussion!

RichardPini

The two are not mutually exclusive...

lunakat

Oh good!

NEXT PAGE