ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Happy happy! (Or sad, or angry, or kissy, or...)

RichardPini

Brilliant! At last, we join the ranks of everyone who has their own! (But ours are just better!) Explore, use, enjoy!!

:) ;) and so on...

RichardPini

:D Rob, you and Heather are a bleedin' wonder.

Laurel

Awwww aren't they just adorable. >:) :>

Elwing

:> Awesome. Is it ok if we make some more?

Leanan

So cute! :D

Rob

Cheers!

Rob

Here's the template...

eqsmileys

However, can't promise anyone's work will get into the default set. We're doing one-elf-per-emotion, so you'd have to pick an un-elfed emoticon, pick the right character for that emotion, adhere to the template, maintain a style matching the existing ones... And suddenly it's not as much fun anymore :)

RedheadEmber

If you're doing one-elf-per-emotion then why are there two Cutters and two Skywises?
:) X( ;) :>

Rob

I mean that one elf can be more than one particular emoticon, but there can only be one image per emoticon.

i.e. Skywise can be both wink and smirk, but now that wink is taken, wink can only ever be Skywise.

Night_Tanem

:-O I want these on every possible forum

Tavie

:((

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH I WANT TO MARRY THEM

Tavie

:) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) :x :-O X( :> >:) :|

Night_Tanem

hahaha, if I hadn't been married before to realize it is not for me I would totally agree

Elwing

Cool!

RichardPini

Night_Tanem said: I want these on every possible forum

They are available on every possible Elfquest forum (or thread here), for certain. Whether or not they show up on other web sites, etc., remains to be seen. As I'm sure every collector knows deep down, there's something greedily satisfying to be able to say "Lookit what I've got, that you haven't got! Neener, neener, neener!" ;)

Elwing

Arr!
I have no life, no life at all!
*edit* One more...
Because Leetah can cry so elegantly.

Night_Tanem

@ RichardPini Actually not to be able to say neener, neener, neener but more to lighten up my day ;)
If that happens to get more people to learn about Elfquest that would be fun two :P

Tavie

Elwing said: Arr! image
I have no life, no life at all!
*edit* One more...
image Because Leetah can cry so elegantly.

LOVE THESE SO MUCH!!!!

Nightsea

Some of us did this kinda thing in 2010:
elfquest.com/forums/discussion/6900/smiley-challenge/p1
So cool that there are official versions now!
Yay!

--Nightsea

PS: The ones I made back then:

Elwing

it was of course easy and too tempting to combine both Skywise smilies into a small animation...Apologies to their maker, I hope you don't mind!

RichardPini

Elwing said: it was of course easy and too tempting to combine both Skywise smilies into a small animation...Apologies to their maker, I hope you don't mind!

If Yahoo (and others) can have them, why not us? (Which raises the question, since this is still clearly a Skywise wink emoticon, do we want to "adopt" it for the ; ) use?)

Rob

We sure can update 'em! Fantastic, Elwing!

The One-Eye is great, but the basic smile is occupied by Cutter. The pirate one perhaps? :ar!

Sad Leetah is great for the sharp frownie currently occupied by :-<

Elwing

yes, the idea was the pirate smiley. Arr, matey! =(( could also fit for bawling Leetah...Odd that there isn't a crying smiley currently, as those are common.

Tam

:-$

I feel like this should be Moonshade or Strongbow. :3

Trollbabe

My idea would be to have a Pac-Man type Guttlekraw or Madcoil head, eating all the Elf emoticons and spitting out their skulls.

Yes, I'm sick.

Elwing

$-) ? !

Elwing

=)) = ?

Elwing

Why, yes, it's a rainy day. So one more... :P of course had to be

Elwing

Looks like :D has been getting on :| 's nerves again! (or if that's better)

Tavie

Elwing said: $-) ? image !

OK. THIS is my new favorite!!!

Elwing

That last one is tough to get right...

Rob

Wonderful. I'll add these to the set today :)

Trollbabe

(Testing) :) :( ;) :D :O

Tynami

I LOVE how all these look!!! I'll have to make Ty on this one now.

RedheadEmber

Rob said: I'll add these to the set today

But now it's tomorrow and - as far as I can see - they haven't been added... >:)

Elwing

Aww, give the guy a break. Does anyone have suggestions for characters that would be nice to replace particular smilies with?

Leanan

I'd like the puppy-eyes smiley: :o3 to be replaced with a wolf puppy eyes smiley. Not necessarily any specific wolf, just a generic one would do.

Elwing

tough one, because wolf an dog pups look pretty similar. It would not have floppy ears of course...*edit* and I see it is a 20-frame animation...oof!

Leanan

Good point... just a suggestion.

Elwing

well, I like a challenge...I'll see what I can do :D
The reference I found is too adorable not to include

Rob

They're updated! :ar!

If you see a pirate instead of One-Eye in this post, the old images are stuck in your browser cache. You can try holding shift and reloading the page, that seems to work for most.

Rob

Great work, Elwing

RedheadEmber

B-)
Cutter deffo rocks that sunglasses look!

Night_Tanem

Laurel

@RedheadEmber, I remember way back when someone said something to Elfpop about being able to draw Cutter from memory. His comeback was a photoshopped image of Cutter in shades. This smiley makes me think of that B-)

Elwing

I was out to make a really cute smiling little wolf pup but she grew up too quick and now she's growling and following me around the room. Halp?

Embala

Mom is growling because she's missing her cub? ;) Well, wolf Mom looks fab!

MrsGrizzley

*laugh* She's cute! Maybe you could recruit some elves to help you keep her under control? They certainly like to visit fan homes on more than one occasion, so they should be willing to stop by yours at some point.

Part of the problem might be that she's showing her teeth? Maybe if you altered it to just raise up the sides of the mouth and not the front? I dunno. I'm not very good at this myself.

Elwing

Well, she's a wild animal and was never going to be friendly anyway. which I think is all right because the comic never showed the wolves as friendly cuddly pets. Maybe :x can keep her under control :D

marinayurk

These are the best faces
on all Internet :D

RedheadEmber

marinayurk said: These are the best faces
on all Internet

Oh YEAH! B-)

Aren't some of the non-EQ new too? ~:>

marinayurk

Ha-ha! :D

marinayurk

Gloss!

Leanan

I love re-reading old topics and seeing the elf smileys pop up where people originally used ordinary smileys! :ar!

RedheadEmber

This just might have bought my old smiley-face-spamming ways back!
>:)

Elwing

For :-S I would propose Suntop. He always seemed a slightly worried little lad to me. So here's what I came up with for that:

Leanan

@Elwing that's adorable!

Rob

Added :o3 and :-S !

Trollbabe

:o3 Rrrank roo, RRob! :o3

I can see a few that could be Maggoty, Two-Edge and Guttlekraw. Of course, if I had my way, they would ALL be Trolls.

Rob

Trollquest would make a good one-off. It could start with a young, handsome troll heading out on a quest to learn the origins of the trolls. Adventure! The endless horizon! The wonder of knowledge and growth!

Then he ends up seduced and melted by Winnowill. The end.

TrollHammer

(too much going through my head... grr)

Suggestion: "beer me": Cutter and Picky with mugs (I'd make some Troll ones myself, but seem to be having trouble with my browser not wanting to download them)

@Rob I was going to name the game I'm working on Trollquest, and focus on them, but it has changed a bit and become unfocused... Also not done either. Would I be able to use these emoticons in the menus of the game, especially since I want to try and make the game feel like an extension of the forums?

Rob

No objection here!

If you're making a fashionably low-res videogame, though, there is a huge set of excellent 32x32 character portraits by Gunnar Ljungstrad, an EQ fan who died some time ago in a hiking accident. I've always wanted to see the Amiga-era game his artwork implied. To have them put to use in the intended context would be a fitting tribute.

Edit: I don't seem to be able to find the set! I bet someone out there has 'em.

Leanan

Quoting from another topic:

manga said: :-w This one might be made into a good Rayek. We need more.

Nightsea

Family Tree with Gunnar's art turns up after a fast net search. Tymani used to have them all I think, and so did I at one point. (I may have them on old floppy discs that I'd have to search up special access to recover.)

LOVE the Sunstream and the wolf new additions, Elwing! Excellent work,
and thanks for making them official, Rob!

8-)
--NS

Rob

Unfortunately those are low-quality JPG images. I know Richard has 'em on Amiga floppy, too ... but getting an Amiga floppy read on PCs involves quite a bit of rigmarole

Tynami

Do I need to find the ones I have? I have the original set.

Edit:
Here you go

Rob

Great! Thank you!

Nightsea

You win at life, Tynami!

My "Nightsea" smiley redone on the new base...first try:

--NS

Elwing

I've made this and I think it would make sense for it to replace this: >-)

Embala

Timmain is fab, Elwing! Great idea and excellent work.

Leanan

I think...

Zhantee would be good for this one:

:\">

What do you think?

Elwing

Yeah, I could see that work, Leenan...But I'm out of pixels for today :D

Elwing

By the way, if anyone else wants to a try at this- it's really not so hard. I use Photoshop to edit these small bitmaps, but you can use Paint. To make the animations, I use http://gifmaker.me/ . It's very simple to use, you upload the different frames and an put them in the right order, and then decide how fast the animation should run. It's lots of fun! This site can also be used to disect existing animated gifs into single frames.

Leanan

I've never made smilies before, but I do love a challenge! So here's a tiny blushing Zhantee:

Embala

He's such a cutie!

RedheadEmber

That's awesome.

Elwing

Excellent, Leenan! Our inventory is growing! So, what should I do next?

Embala

The eager bee would be a Preserver ... :bz

Elwing

Yes! Good one! Will look into that on Sunday!

Elwing

As it turns out, it was extremely hard to do a recognizable Petalwing in this tiny format...

Embala

I thought so ... havn't dared to suggest it for a wee or so ... but this is

WOW! ^:)^ Petalwing turned absolutely amazing, Elwing!

Tam

It looks great, Elwing! :)

Leanan

That's an awesome Petalwing!

MrsGrizzley

PETALWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PLEASE, ELFPOP!!!! Add Petalwing nao!!!!!! *glomps the tiny Preserver*

RedheadEmber

Lovely Petalwing!

Rob

I am astoundeet!

Elwing

Hmm. That would work for Kimo too, of course. Maybe tomorrow!

RichardPini

MrsGrizzley said: PLEASE, ELFPOP!!!! Add Petalwing nao!!!!!! *glomps the tiny Preserver*

Mind if I get to this tomorrow? Today only needs another four hours to wrap up...

Elwing

Kimo! As a replacement for which I one don't know...

MrsGrizzley

RichardPini said: Mind if I get to this tomorrow? Today only needs another four hours to wrap up...

Sure ElfPop. I'm eager, I'm not idiotic. You've got stuff to do. Let my eagerness get the better of me with that, I must admit.

Elwing

Any more suggestions?

RedheadEmber

:-\" This could be a good Skot. Innocently wistling away.

Elwing

One Skottie, all beamed up...

RedheadEmber

Awesome!

Elwing

I like doing these, I like how economical they are. most are 26x26 pixels, an every pixel is there for a reason. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right. Skot here was a very simple 4 frame animation at first, but in the end I cut out two frames and left an even simpler 2 frame animation. It's an exercise in "less is more!".

Embala

Kimo is AWESOME, Elwing!
Hard to decide between the two ... maybe there is another good one for Timmain ...

~O) wonders if there could be done something that counts as dreamberry wine
~:> a giant bird of prey (not sure if makes sense - what does the chicken stand for?)
3:-O a Zwoot ^^
:-* definitely Oddbit

Tam

Maybe instead of dreamberry wine, just make it a dreamberry?

Embala

A Dream... - great idea, Tam! There could actually be a Dreamberry smiley!

http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/DTC/_ElfQuest%20-%20Dreamtime%20in%20color_page=1#_75#

Is it possible to do a recognizable Troll mug (from OQ #7) on this tiny scale? It worked with Petalwing ....

Elwing

Let's drink to all of us!

Tam

Love it! :D

RichardPini

@Elwing, you are a wonder! :D

NEXT PAGE