ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

paper and pencils, pen, paint...

Night_Tanem

I don't consider myself an artist, for me drawing simply takes some stress away so if you think "this crap isn't art" then you my good sir/madam are not mistaken. It is not art, just fan art.
Just do consider that I never went to art-school. What was considered art at the school I attended was:
-"take off your shoe and draw it" (thanks for the smells sir)
-"draw a cube and take some cubes out of it" (can be cool but has nothing to do with creativity)
-"draw what's in your head" (which meant you needed to fill a template of your head with what you like, putting your imagination on paper was not part of the process)

Night

Night1

Rainbow

Rainbow2

Embala

I welcome your fanart, Night_Tanem. When I remember back the Scroll was a place for all sort of artwork, (semi-)professional artists as well as beginners. And more than once their treads illustrated growing skills and experiance.

You gave your elves a pleasant form, distinct colors .... and character. They speak to me from your drawings.

Night looks strong and protective. Her open hands an the bow and arrows left back on the ground prove that she offers peace but she also tells "Don't enter my world when you intend to do harm." I like her rasta braids and the unusual color scheme.

Rainbow invites me to her colorful realm "Come and view the beauty and wonders of my world!" She has a very open, welcoming expression, almost marveling. Detailed hands and delicate ears. I like her diagonal position in the picture.

I enjoy your attention on details, like Night's earrings and knives or Rainbow's belt, and the backgrounds. Being in their natural environment really gives them life. And I just love to see "oldfashioned" color pencils! :)

Night_Tanem

You see more in them than I expected anyone to see, thanks Embala!

Embala

I'd love to see more, Night_Tanem. :)

Night_Tanem

I just restarted drawing about a month ago so I had a lot of bad ones but I'll post as soon as I finish drawing it ;)

Night_Tanem

Shera

shera

Embala

You've finished onother ... ^^

Must admit that Shera is a riddle for me. Her built and the seemingly aged features make think of a Firstborn. The watching post on one of the giant trees can hint a shy or withdrawn one who prefers to be for herself. Or she simply likes to have an overview. Or - she needs to make a decision and seeked a silent place to think.

Shera melts with the trees - her skin and clothing has the same hue as the bark, only highlighted by skyblue accessories and eyes.
The male figure adds life to the silent woods ... I wonder if he is the one in Shera's thoughts.

Night_Tanem

He is indeed the one on her mind. Her brother is on Nights mind and Rainbow is the link between the two lands. More to come I guess...
I bet I'll be doing these over as each one has its mistakes...

Embala

You and your drawings ARE telling us a story! *wide smile*

Night_Tanem

just don't expect me to write. I've checked some of the many threads and so many can write so beautifully. I'm afraid I get distracted as soon as I start writing :-S

Embala

You'll tell your way. :)

Night_Tanem

I know I'm gonna mess this up even more when I start to color it so I'm posting a before...

Storm

Delhya

I love you work Night! The detail you put into your pictures is wonderful. Keep drawing and remember an artist is always their own worst critic. ^_^

Night_Tanem

Thank you Delhya! I know, when I see my drawings a month later all these mistakes start jumping out at me but I guess practice makes perfect, lets hope it's true ;)

Night_Tanem

After

storm color

WolfCandy

You are very talented! I don't know what you're talking about 'not being art' :P I love how you can take the characters you have already made, then put them in another picture in a different way and they still look like the same character!

Night_Tanem

You're too kind! I just know I don't get it 100% right and after looking around here there are threads with BEAUTIFUL drawings that make me :-O

WolfCandy

I think you're tougher on yourself than you should be :P

Night_Tanem

8->

Embala

I fully agree with WolfCandy, Night_Tanem. :) Those threads you've mentioned ... stunning art ... I've seen the artists say "I don't get it 100% right" again and again. ^^
It's good to see the flaws, the mistakes ... it helps you to grow and get better with each drawing. But ... don't forget HOW much you've already grown. If you need a reminder take an older drawing ... and see what you've already achieved.

You are good, Night_Tanem. You capture your characters in movement, put them in context, make them "speak" to the viewer ... and you can make them interact.

When I saw the sketch I've recognized Night easily ... all her characteristics are there. Soft figure, smooth movement ... returning from a hunt?
Rainbow looked looked familiar ... but it didn't occur to me that she CAN have legs. ;) So I thought of her as some unknown tribe member. I like how her skirt mimics her tailed appearance.
The third on is short-haired Shera? The high tree, the cliff ... I figure she is a Glider balancing her landing on the rock? I like her expression - very concentrated, almost melancholy or sad.

Colors look great - nothing messed up! ^^

After what?

Night_Tanem

Thanks again Embala 8->

After coloring

It's one of Shera's tribe-members. She's getting Night to their place, I haven't figured out her name yet. Night lived on one side of the ocean (the ocean where Rainbow and her tribe live) and got captured along with her black panther Tanem. They end up at the other side of the ocean and she lives near the beach for a while but a storm comes. That's why "she who has no name yet" gets Night further from the beach.
@-) now that wasn't easy, explaining is not my thing :>

Embala

Oh, I get it, Night_Tanem :) Night and Tanem add to the variety of your tribe.

... and finally I "got" your name! ^^

Night_Tanem

:) When I use night on any site there are always 10 others that already used "night" in some way so adding Tanem makes it easier... for me... ;)

Night_Tanem

oh, and the skirt Rainbow has on is actually her tail

Embala

Her tail! :-O How does this work? I figure she is a selfshaper ...

Night_Tanem

She might become one but for now she's just able to change her skirt into a tail and vice versa. Not sure yet about all that, I'm just drawing as I think of it.
The ones I was drawing when I was a teenager were Night, Tanem and Warfeather.
Sometimes getting ill (not bad but not nothing either) can open your eyes to what you neglected for too long while it was what kept you sane in the first place lol

Night_Tanem

Warfeather

warfeather feels what he didn't see

Embala

Oh... :-O ... This one is intriguing!

I love that he has kind oof a "snake eye". The hair looks great. i wonder whether it is hiding an injury ...

Night_Tanem

No visible injury, at least not yet :)

Embala

I like this snake whisperer ^^

Night_Tanem

He is mister right. Raised by his mother, disciplined by his father makes him man enough and yet not macho man.

WolfCandy

Oooo! I like him! @-)

Night_Tanem

=))

Night_Tanem

Warfeather and Night, different tent, same feeling

REC

Embala

THIS could be a Recognition scene ;) ... or something very different.

I like that their eyes "meet" despite their very different poses.

WolfCandy

I love their expressions!!

Night_Tanem

It is recognition and a whisper from long ago.
A wind took Warfeather's words ones over the sea to Night, too young at that time to realize what the whispers and the feeling they gave her meant. She did however feel like something was there, over the sea.
Something has been missing for a long time and it just might come to an end...

Embala

Me liiiikes :) Very much!

Night_Tanem

hahaha, I'm happy about that!

WolfCandy

How old were they when they recognized?

Night_Tanem

:-S uhmmmm... he was old enough to miss a lovemate and she wasn't?
Sorry, I don't think about those things, never thought someone would care =))

WolfCandy

Haha... No worries :D

WolfCandy

Do you write stories about all your characters somewhere?

Night_Tanem

Well, the stories are in my head but they only come out of it when I put it in drawings I guess

Embala

I've told you :) - you tell stories with your drawings!

Night_Tanem

:x

WolfCandy

I look forward to seeing more drawings then! :D

Night_Tanem

I'll do my best ;)

WolfCandy

:-bd Yay!

MrsGrizzley

*dances for joy* There's gonna be a baaaaabyyyyyyy!!!!!!

*chuckle* Okay, I'm a sucker for the babies. Always have been, probably always will be. Your art is awesome!!

Night_Tanem

=)) Thanks MrsGrizzley!
Although I won't have babies myself I love babies two. Lucky me I have many brothers and sisters that will have many babies :)

Night_Tanem

It's a good thing Warfeather isn't bound to the ground, Tanem clearly is not happy.

Tanem doesn't like recognition

Embala

The bonds don't appreciat each other! ^^

This has movement and energy! I can see the action, feel Night's effort .. and I can hear Tanem and snake hisssss! That's great, Night!

Night_Tanem

Thanks Embala! I love your comments, they push me to do more :)

Embala

Fine! O:-)

Night_Tanem

lol

WolfCandy

Wow! This one is my favourite so far! Absolutely love how believable the actions are! @-)

Night_Tanem

Thanks WolfCandy! As I told Embala, these comments lift my spirit and push me to do more. You guys are great!

Moonmoss

Beautiful pictures, Night_Tanem!

When I look at the very first one of Night you posted I started to wonder if her rastas were actually stingers to defend herself- she looks so protective and ready to fight if needed.

Rainbow is beautiful and contains all the loveliness of an iridescent soap bubble. I'd love to take a swim in her beautiful home.

I love the fact that you draw with pencils on paper- we have far too less that nowdays IMHO with all the drawing programs available. Of course, wether one draws with pencils, inks or digital is just a result from choosing a medium, but somehow these pictures have a very hands-on feeling. Ok, maybe I'm not making a lot of sense, but if anyone gets my drift....

Great pictures, sorry that I don't comment all the eye-candy you've made. But I'll definitely wait eagerly to see more. Great recognition scene!

Night_Tanem

Thanks Moonmoss!
You make a lot of sense to me.
At first I wasn't sure this would be accepted after seeing all the amazing art on so many threads. I just wouldn't know how to begin making these on the computer... before I would get it I would've crashed the laptop 20 times (I tend to try buttons and it doesn't always help) so I keep to the paper :D

Delhya

I love the skid marks under Night's feet. Good eye for little details to really bring life to your work. ^_^

WolfCandy

@Moonmoss, I feel the same way! Digital art is beautiful, but it's nice seeing a more traditional approach.

@Delhya, I never noticed the skid marks before! :O Good thing you pointed it out!

Night_Tanem

Thanks Delhya!

Night_Tanem

Night needs to assure Tanem that nothing will change between them before even one word can be said between her and Warfeather.
Night assures Tanem

Delhya

Awwww

WolfCandy

When I saw there were new posts I was like: Yay! More art!

Warfeather is so adorable! I love his expression. And the exchange between Night and Tanem is so believable and natural. Maybe this is my mind doing this, but I feel like I can actually see Tanem's emotion and thoughts through his face! :D

Night_Tanem

It's a good thing I can erase and restart, you don't wanna know how many times I started over =))

WolfCandy

Having to start over is a bummer :(

Night_Tanem

It's practice but after the third time I do sometimes start to curse... :)

WolfCandy

I would never have that kind of patience!

Night_Tanem

Patience is the one thing I have a lot of. I used to braid my sister's hair and that could take a whole day to do (24h) but the result and the sparkle in her eyes once it was finished was well worth the time :)

WolfCandy

A whole day?! That's crazy!

Night_Tanem

It is but the results were two ;)

WolfCandy

Just like your drawings! :D

Night_Tanem

hahaha thanks :D

Embala

This is so CAT! Tanem's inquiring expression, the demanding paw ... "Your are mine! Are you? Are you still ..." And Night cannot resist to anwers her cat-bonds demand before she answers the urges of Recognition. You've capurted the situation perfectly, Night!

btw: WolfCandy is very right - with everything :)

Night_Tanem

Thanks, the next one is in progress :)

WolfCandy

Woot woot! *eagerly awaits*

Night_Tanem

so it turns out Warfeahter is the one Night heard over the wind but the recognition was not shared with him. Only Tanem realized this was all wrong so she did what she had to do. She jumped Night and redirected her focus.mistake

WolfCandy

Wait... so they didn't actually recognize? :O

Embala

Somehow I see the equivalent of a resounding slap happen ... well, catpaw-soft, tender version of it. ^^

Night looks thunderstruck - so it is not a "complete" Recognition indeed? I like how you do interaction. And ... you can give Tanem a very speaking and very catlike expression at the same time.

I figure you have a bond panther in real life ... in some more convenient seize?

Night_Tanem

=)) things change as I think about them and even more when I draw but there is a reason for all an as soon as I know what the reason is I'll let you know :D

Embala

XD

Night_Tanem

Not at all, I have no wanted animals (enough insects and spiders mind you :-S) not because I don't like animals but I'm not the right person. I figure that animals are just as aware and smart as us. I just couldn't give it enough time...
My sister's cat and I understand each other. He comes to say hi at my feet, I caress him a while and he goes on playing elsewhere the rest of the visit. :)

Embala

You like each other! A good relationship ... and you must have taken more than one careful look ... MUCH more. You picture their expressions and behavior really well.

Night_Tanem

I guess we do :)
I've always liked black cats, something about the "it's bad luck" thing :p

Night_Tanem

This is Casisto. He and his little brother were at the beach together so many years ago.
Warfeather does feel something but starts to realize that it's an impression of yet another elf he senses.
Maize

Embala

A strong elf. An Elder. A proud one with eyes like a panther himself.
I lave how he and his bond match each other in "outfit" and expression. It's the beard ... definitely the beard! ^^ Great detail with his tattoos ... it's a stylized panther on the right shoulder?

The way he carries the deer makes sense and is well pictured. This prey makes it an almost casual real life scene instead of posing.

Edit:
The expression of the panther made me chuckle ... either he is pround of his two-legged friend - or he thinks: I did most of the job ... but I'll allow him to show off! ^^

Night_Tanem

=)) the eyes are so far of there might have been something wrong at birth hahahaha should have checked it once it was scanned... had to much eye for Casisto I guess

Night_Tanem

let's pretend that is because he's looking at an yet unknown female panther ;)

Embala

She will NOT recognize the brother instead... O.o

Night_Tanem

well, she has a sister and when she tells Warfeather about Tajlora his pain begins just as Casisto has suffered until Night's arrival... (that's what you get when you draw and then make up the story instead of the other way around)

Embala

Makes for some surprising twists and turns ^^

Night_Tanem

Tell me about it lol
And the tattoo is a bit of a sleeve and there is bit of a panther in there. I'm a big fan of the Samoan tattoos so I tried to mimic that a bit.

Embala

Well succeded!

Night_Tanem

:D thanks

WolfCandy

So do you have a whole tribe of pantherriders? :D

Night_Tanem

No, there are a few more where Night came from but where she is now it's just them two ;)

WolfCandy

Sounds like an interesting story behind that :D

Night_Tanem

I have to get new paper :D

WolfCandy

Make sure you get good paper! Someone gave me a sketchbook as a gift and I found out that it was the worst quality. Ever -_- Sorry, that was my miniature rant. It's been inside of me ever since I couldn't tell anyone about it in fear of the person finding out and getting their feelings hurt DX

And woooot! Am I 100th comment? :D

NEXT PAGE