ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Spot that homage!

RichardPini

Or rip-off, depending. Wendy just posted this to Facebook, so I'm Face-lifting it for here.

"There is no question in my mind, whatsoever, that whomever designed this helmet is familiar with the artwork of Classic Quest Volume Four."

I totally agree. So what else has Hollywood (or anyone else) "borrowed" from EQ, without credit? Let's compile a really annoying list, shall we?

wolf armor

lunakat

Imitation is the highest form of flattery- no?

MrsGrizzley

Hey, you can't keep a good design down! ElfMom really hit one out of the damn park with those armor designs.

I actually LIKE seeing ElfQuest hommages.

There's a series of fantasy romance novels, The Tairen Soul books as I recall, and there are several conventions within the setting that simply *scream* that they're a variation on Recognition.

Found links!!!
http://clwilson.com/the-books/novels-of-the-fading-lands/

Rob

MaxvonBek

Submitted without comment. ;)

Rob

One of my favorites, for its sheer obscurity, is this mid-80s video game from Europe.

down_at_the_trolls

DownATT
399_dbs1

Rob

It was sold under different titles in different regions, hence the slightly different title. It's not a very good game, either -- you can download it and play it on C64 and Amiga emulators.

Rob

Elfmania_-_1994_-_Renegade_Software

elfmania

Elwing

I remember a time when I visited a town with the adorable name of Poggibonsi in Italy, and on the way there passed trough a tiny place named Pini. I thought about you guys in the equally awesomely named Poughkeepsie. It turned out later that Pini is Italian for "pine trees" and there are lots of those in Italy, and lots of places named after them. But I reject that reality; all these places are named after Richard and Wendy! Not the other way around!
So here's to the Pini of Rome.

Trollbabe

"Pini" has the same root (no pun intended) as Pinochio and pignoli, from the pine tree. Considering the fact that Elfpop's late father was a homebuilder, perhaps he inherited this gift from the very first Pini, who might have been a woodcutter. (I wonder if the first Pini offered bowls of milk to the forest spirits.)

I mentioned this in the "Did I really see that?" thread, but I thought Pepper wearing the open mask in the last "Iron Man" movie, looked like an Elf in the Wolf helmet.

RichardPini

I Pini wine 01sm

Rob

I guess that one couldn't be saved.

RichardPini

~O)

LauraHeffner

In "Avatar: The Last Airbender" there is a very obvious Elfquest inspired design for the Watertribe's wolf helms.

WolfCandy

I always wondered if this logo was only coincidentally similar to the EQ logo... :-@ Unfortunately, I'll never know :(

RichardPini

WolfCandy said:
I always wondered if this logo was only coincidentally similar to the EQ logo... :-@

I've never seen that one before.

WolfCandy

RichardPini said: I've never seen that one before.

It's a local thing in my city :)