ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Let’s HEAR it for trailblazing!

Warp Graphics

Let’s HEAR it for trailblazing!

This is a toughie, because the examples from which I want to choose range wide and deep, yet I want to kick this thread off with a single instance. I hope everyone who reads this will then add to it. I want also to avoid any whiff of cronyism - which might, to an outside…

Read the full story here

Rob

More and more artists and creators mention Wendy as an influence -- including ones who are just starting out on their professional careers.

RichardPini

Rob said: More and more artists and creators mention Wendy as an influence -- including ones who are just starting out on their professional careers.

This I am aware of, and it's always nice to hear when they stop by our booth or table. I want to kick it to the next level, and hear them say it on prime time somewhere, somehow.

Omegasama

I can say that ElfQuest was what got me into comics when my father started reading them in Swedish to me as a 4 year old. I ADORED the comic and I still do and it is what made me want to become a comic artist (which I now am). I always list Wendy and ElfQuest as one of my main influences when doing lists.

CarolinaMangaLibrary

I run a nonprofit graphic novel library (www.carolinamangalibrary.com), and we are proud to carry almost every book of Elfquest. I give speeches at conventions and shows about the best graphic novels to read, and Elfquest is ALWAYS the first out of my bag. Every single show I have taken my Library to has found a new lover of Elfquest. It started it all for me back into the late 80s, and it still drives me. It's what inspired me to start the Carolina Manga Library, and will continue to serve as my Door into the graphic medium. I'll sign any petition, go on any website and support spreading Elfquest to more people.

Marivelfall

Elfquest i love reading the story's if it wasn't for my cousin who got me into reading the frist book of Elfquest i wouldn't of fallen in love with the story's and the drawings and now i have became a big fan of this comic's .And now that i have my nice collection of books i still need to finish getting the rest of them to have them all. Marivel Munoz

krwordgazer

I didn't like comics or read them. But then I read this one. And it drew me in like few things ever had.

So EQ, I think, was also a pioneer comic in presenting something non-readers of comics would read.

MrsGrizzley

ElfQuest is my primary maternal influence, above that of any blood relatives, and I'll readily admit that at any time and in any place. I've mentioned it several times on my blog in various places because ElfQuest is also a crucial influence in making me comfortable with presenting stories that are outside the normative sphere in terms of character identity and character relationships.

ElfQuest helped shape me into who I am today and gives me what little courage I actually do possess.

I will be forever grateful to ElfMom and ElfPop for the effort that they put into this adventure of theirs and I will say so loud and proud at every opportunity.

JennyB

I read tons of comics from an early age, but EQ was special. I reread the albums countless times. Looking back I can see that all the while I was enjoying it, part of my brain was taking notes and learning ("Look at the inking, gotta practice that. Oh, what a brilliant color choice. This page layout speeds up the pacing..." and so on). Each episode was an excellent read AND a lesson in storytelling and artistic skills.
I'm more or less convinced I wouldn't be a comic artist today if not for that experience.

Mkal

Wendy made me realize that there were other types of stories that can be told were it is not about being physically imposing or being a sex-starved vixen that is always looking to be rescued.

Trollbabe

On that first post, I can't get the panels to expand, but I think it's from a book I have.

Tavie

krwordgazer said: I didn't like comics or read them. But then I read this one. And it drew me in like few things ever had.

So EQ, I think, was also a pioneer comic in presenting something non-readers of comics would read.

This. Elfquest is STILL the only comic I read.

damson

Darn it, Richard, you've inspired me to write an actual blog post. (Would've posted it here but it's a bit long.)

Please follow this link to read "How Elfquest Has Ruined Me".

MrsGrizzley

@damson that is some brilliant writing and I agree whole-heartedly. I agree on every point and I'm sooooo glad that someone else gets it!

I guess I need to pick up the thrown gauntlet now and post for myself on my blog... but how to say it? Hmm...

Wolfbyke

damson said: Please follow this link to read "How Elfquest Has Ruined Me".

I'm minded to check the forums more often! You've nailed it, SO nailed it. Consider me ruined too, for all of those reasons given. Well done, very well done, and thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

Wolfbyke

I've ordered everything offered by Darkhorse, pre-ordered the albums coming out on Amazon, and I've gotten goodies from cafepress. That facebook meme "shut up and take my money" applies here. I'm doing my best to keep up with the variety of social sites (fb, here, twitter) for every little precious gem they offer us (including very awesome articles by OTHER authors/artists). They always have this gleam in their eye, as if they know something we don't know. It's BECAUSE they know something, that we don't know. The wonderful part is, they're SHARING that knowledge with anyone who'll take the time to learn. I've sung praise til folks tire of the song, for Rogue's Challenge, (Hidden Years issue 9.5) because it helped me so much in therapy. They are indeed trailblazers! There are possibly other "comics" (I always called them graphic novels) that have shaped lives, even SAVED lives (including my own), the way that ElfQuest has, but I haven't found them.
Anything else I might say pales in comparison to how succinctly Damson wrote it. I'd just sound pretentious in the attempt.

RichardPini

damson said: Please follow this link to read "How Elfquest Has Ruined Me".

What goes around, comes around. I had not seen this post before I discovered a link to it on Facebook, shared it to the Elfquest official page there, and then decided it was worth launching another discussion here! :x