ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

FQ Issue 4 **SPOILERS**

lunakat

I love Kahvi. But she's a Go Back. Dying is her great victory.

Tavie

@trof

Long time EQ reader and occasional lurker here...these new issues are so incredible that I had to finally chime in.

Welcome to the forum! :>

jorenm93

I thought of something... If Teir is Windkin's and Kahvi's son, how can he be so dark-skinned? I thought he 'tanned' because he lived on the plains, but than Cutter & company would be brown as hell, cause they lived 5 years in Sorrows End...

Tam

I think Teir lived on the plains for much longer than five years. ;) But he's much paler in FQ.

Embala

Cutter and the Wolfriders are twilight-active and partly nucturnal by habit. In the unfamiliar heat of the desert they would stick to this lifestyle even more.

Those few who decided to actually live with the Sunfolk got tanned.

jorenm93

Ok, true. I just wanted him to be Venka's son :D

Embala

jorenm93 said: I just wanted him to be Venka's son
I like this idea ^^

... where's the time maschine?

Stefan

Seems to me the spirits get more and more active as the years go on..As if the can sense their time on abode is at its end. It seems mostly the ones we are familiar with that are the most active (probably because they still have connections to the living..but it makes me wonder about the others... Will we see Timmain converse with her fellow first comers? (as i asume she does regularly) I hope we'll see more of the spirit side now that we've been given hints about them being able to travel the Palace's aura. When and if the Palace and the elves leave Abode... Will the deceased be able to return to flesh if they want to? (Don't think that will happen but still.)

Also, wasn't Kahvi the first one to directly send to the living without speaking in riddles like Cresent (sp) did? Can't wait for nr 5!

Zinegirl

If Teir really is a son of Kahvi, I will have much trouble rearranging my family tree! @-)

I loved the last panel, so nice to see Kahvi and Tyldak (in his true form) and Skot and Krim!

lunakat

The way Wendy has drawn Kahvi in all of these Final Quest scenes has been really wonderful. She's made her gorgeous, without losing any of her character.

RedheadEmber

Zinegirl said: If Teir really is a son of Kahvi, I will have much trouble rearranging my family tree!

Naah. You'll just have to make a line between Kahvi and Teir.

Stefan said: Also, wasn't Kahvi the first one to directly send to the living without speaking in riddles like Cresent (sp) did? Can't wait for nr 5!

She's the first one we've seen (as in gotten her part of the conversation) do it. But I think the conversation Snakeskin had with Surge and Skimmer in 'Discovery', and the conversation Newstar had with Lutei in the Special were pretty straight-forward as well.

Stefan

You've got a point.. Also it seems the more pro-active side of the spirits came more to the front when Zhantee died.. Him shielding Venka in Shards and later on Cutter in Discovery. ( i haven't forgotten the time where Strongbow comunicated Kureel though, nor Clearbrook with one-eye and that happened after the Glider-souls reunited with the Palace and in doing so adding to its power.)

Almost makes the Palace some sort of a battery... The more spirits, the more power, the more active the spirits become. The circle is being completed..

RedheadEmber

Stefan said: Almost makes the Palace some sort of a battery... The more spirits, the more power, the more active the spirits become. The circle is being completed..

Doesn't Timmain pretty much say that?

The journey of mortal elf spirits is limitless. But all immortal ones, if killed by chance of violence unite with the Palace in this time and place, to increase its power.

Stefan

I am picturing the Palace now as a huge battery..need a recharge.. kill some elves..

But i just found it interesting that it also links back to Siege/kings..Seems like holes in the Circle are being filled with each passing quest.

And Timmain indeed mentioned the power bit.. But does that power make the spirits more active or is it the living?

RedheadEmber

Stefan said: I am picturing the Palace now as a huge battery..need a recharge.. kill some elves..

Well... it can be aranged. ~:(

jorenm93

Isn't there something wrong with Agriff's and Ardan djarum's age? Ardan Djarum looks 30 years older, but is still his half-brother? Sounds impossible...

ChristinaRaibert

jorenm93 said: Isn't there something wrong with Agriff's and Ardan djarum's age? Ardan Djarum looks 30 years older, but is still his half-brother? Sounds impossible...

He could have been sired by a very young Grohmul Djun, maybe he was the firstborn, from the wrong side of the blanket. Speaking of which, do we even know how old the Djun was when Angrif killed him in Wild Hunt?

lunakat

Maybe it's not that the spirits are becoming more communicative- so much as that the living elves are getting better at speaking with and listening to them. Remember- Timmain, at the end of book four, walked through the palace having a conversation with all her dead friends... right up until she agreed to take Orolin's place. The spirits were communicating then- but the Wolfriders couldn't hear them.

RedheadEmber

ChristinaRaibert said:
jorenm93 said: Isn't there something wrong with Agriff's and Ardan djarum's age? Ardan Djarum looks 30 years older, but is still his half-brother? Sounds impossible...

He could have been sired by a very young Grohmul Djun, maybe he was the firstborn, from the wrong side of the blanket.

If there are "a thousand bastard spawn" (or were, considering it seems Angrif has offed quite a few of them) running around, then there's bound to be some age-difference between them.

Dreamcat

Torture can make people age quite a lot. He may be only 10 years older than Angrif.

travelbug

My youngest brother is 24 years younger than me.
In my opinion, Gromuhl Jun could easily father Ardan at 18-20 years and marry And have Angrif and Gifa' at 40-45. It happens in our world all the time, just look at Hollywood families ;)

lunakat

Dreamcat said: Torture can make people age quite a lot. He may be only 10 years older than Angrif.

Old age didn't make his eyeball roll up into his head.

Tam

To expand on what @travelbug is saying, men can remain fertile for a LONG time...who knows, after Angrif, we may find out he has an even younger brother the Djun sired with some kitchen maid.

RedheadEmber

Tam said: who knows, after Angrif, we may find out he has an even younger brother the Djun sired with some kitchen maid.

And of course said potential younger brother might be the only opportunity for the Djun line to continue, now that both Lodok and Rathol have bit it, and Angrif's chances of getting anymore children seem somewhat... unlikely. >:D

lunakat

Would Angrif Djun really allow that though?

travelbug

Instead of Winnowill's evil creatures, the Djunslands are now filled with Gromuhl Djun's evil bastard offspring...

Tam

I didn't say any potential brothers would attempt to rise to power...just that there's the potential for their existence. ;) Who knows, if Angrif can't get his bits fixed, maybe he'll find one young enough to adopt as a son.

Embala

How about some OWN bastard son?

Tam

That is also certainly possible!

lunakat

Good thinking, Embala!

RedheadEmber

Yeah!

Of course, there's one possibility we're forgetting; A bastard (or maybe even a legitimate) daughter.
Isn't Abode a (full planet) Matriarchy by the time of FutureQuest? Maybe Angrif has a daughter who was left behind, a daughter who decides that since her brothers are dead, and she's not gonna have any more brothers, she might as fell continue the proud family-tradition and off her daddy.

Tam

I would love a bastard daughter, but I think Abodean humans are still too patriarchal to follow a female. Abode might be a matriarchy in FutureQuest, but that isn't for 900 years, according to the timeline.

krwordgazer

Wasn't there a legitimate daughter in Wild Hunt that tried to betray the elves? Anyway, I think she's dead now (funny how some of these plots have gotten fuzzy in my mind).

Anyway, I hope no one minds if I slightly derail the conversation with my own thoughts on this Issue 4. =))

This has been my favorite "episode" so far! I was interested in Moonshade and Windkin's budding friendship, and intrigued by his seeking of Kahvi to find out news of Teir-- who must be either his half-brother or his son. I'm tending to think the father is Tyldak, not Windkin, because the way Windkin addresses Kahvi just doesn't sound like the way lovemates, even former lovemates, talk to one another. Of course, I could be wrong, but I'd rather Teir be Tyldak's child. My human sensibilities are a little squeamish at the idea of Kahvi taking both the father and the son to her furs.

I find myself wondering if Teir has any latent Glider gifts.

Ember's terrible ordeal with Angrif Djun was amazingly well done. I actually felt sorry for Ardan Djaram (if I'm spelling that right)-- and I was pleased to see the issue of apparent time passage in New Wavedancers resolved so nicely. I found it believable that Djaram was mad, and that he was inventing himself as a descendant, rather than a son, of Grohmul Djun.

One of the thing I liked best was that I could see Ember's decision from both her perspective and Teir's, and it was very moving. She had to withdraw from him for both their sakes, but didn't realize how this would trigger Teir's recently unearthed abandonment issues with Kahvi. I imagine she doesn't know Teir is now in mortal danger, because of her withdrawal-- but I could be wrong. It could be that the reason Ember sent for the Palace just then was that she felt Teir fall.

It was cool to see Pool take the initiative as he did, and I especially liked it that he hated killing, that he only did it because he had to. He was very sexy, too-- posed there in his archer's stance! ;) It made me wonder if Strongbow and Scouter might be related through a distant ancestor!

Beautiful pic of Kahvi, Tyldak and the other Go-Back spirits at the end. I was intrigued that Tyldak's self-image is what he looked like before Winnowill changed him. That makes sense, though, because apparently he had decided he wanted to be changed back to that body before he died, though he never got his wish.

I do wonder very much how Kahvi came to abandon Teir, and also what role, if any, she had envisioned for Teir's father. Kahvi generally didn't have much use for cub-fathers, preferring to raise them as children of the whole tribe. But if Tyldak were the father, I think that would have changed. I find it beautiful that Kahvi finally found in Tyldak someone she could truly be devoted to. She never needed Recognition to conceive, but it would be cool if it turned out she and Tyldak had actually Recognized.

Tam

krwordgazer said: Wasn't there a legitimate daughter in Wild Hunt that tried to betray the elves? Anyway, I think she's dead now (funny how some of these plots have gotten fuzzy in my mind).

Yeah, that was Gifa. But I think she was Angrif's sister, not his daughter.

RedheadEmber

krwordgazer said: It was cool to see Pool take the initiative as he did, and I especially liked it that he hated killing, that he only did it because he had to.

Not to mention the fact that he specifically states that he hates killing humans. No need to wonder where he got that from. :-*

krwordgazer said: Beautiful pic of Kahvi, Tyldak and the other Go-Back spirits at the end. I was intrigued that Tyldak's self-image is what he looked like before Winnowill changed him. That makes sense, though, because apparently he had decided he wanted to be changed back to that body before he died, though he never got his wish.

I thought Tyldak looking the way he did before Winnie changed him was simply a matter of that's what his spirit looks like. Winnie only changed his body, not his spirit.

krwordgazer

RedheadEmber said: I thought Tyldak looking the way he did before Winnie changed him was simply a matter of that's what his spirit looks like. Winnie only changed his body, not his spirit.

Ah, now there's an interesting metaphysical question: why do elf spirits look like their bodies? Why don't they just look like blobs of light or something? I always figured that an elf spirit looks like it does because it's the individual elf's own conception of him- or herself. Hence, if Tyldak had thought of his wings as being truly part of himself, then his spirit would still have the wings.

I wonder what Ekuar's spirit would look like if he died. He'd probably have all his limbs back.

Nightsea

Embala said: ... where's the time maschine?

Heh. In thinking about it all, I've begun to speculate that the Palace is the answer
to that question. The whole thing about the Djun having a future kid might be
fact and not fancy somehow if the Palace timetravels. Rayek brought it forward once,
and it went backwards when it first arrived on the planet. Those panels of
the whole quest from the very start, with Skywise and Cutter and their "ancestors"
that look like them….I'm seeing possibilities gallore now after Richard's point about Voll in the new issue #5 teaser thread.

Time travel can really mess up the facts fast. What if you can be your own grandpa?
*snickers*
--NS

PS: Great use of the Krim smiley there, @RedheadEmber and thanks, @lunakat!

PPS: The palace is changing the elves too…so what if that really is Cutter and Skywise in both panels of page 5 of the Quest?

RedheadEmber

krwordgazer said: Why don't they just look like blobs of light or something?

I think that's purely to benefit us. Because going: "Oh, that blob over there is Kahvi, and that's Skot, and there's Vaya, and Tyldak..." and so on, would just be awfully confusing.

krwordgazer

RedheadEmber said: I think that's purely to benefit us. Because going: "Oh, that blob over there is Kahvi, and that's Skot, and there's Vaya, and Tyldak..." and so on, would just be awfully confusing.

Then why change Tyldak back to his earlier form? It would be less confusing to the reader if he looked like we're used to seeing him look. I think your earlier idea, that elf spirits look like their "real" bodies (or what they think of as their "real" bodies), makes more sense.

RedheadEmber

To remind us that Tyldak wasn't always like that (this: ~:> ). Basically now we're seeing him as Dewshine were seeing him when they recognized.
But of course that should mean that all Wolfriders should be shown as more wolfey.

Embala

krwordgazer said: It made me wonder if Strongbow and Scouter might be related through a distant ancestor!
No prove at all about this, not even a hint ... just a little fancy:
In my imagination Sprout and Sharpeyes, the sons of Hummer and Buckthorn (from the "most weird Recognition story in Wild Hunt), are the ancestors of Strongbow and Scouter ...
Of course the tribe was small enough even in best times that everyone might be close related to everyone.

Nightsea said: PPS: The palace is changing the elves too…so what if that really is Cutter and Skywise in both panels of page 5 of the Quest?
:) Intriguing thought ;)

RedheadEmber

krwordgazer said: It made me wonder if Strongbow and Scouter might be related through a distant ancestor!

They are: >-)

Tam

I prefer to think of the spirits as having control, ish, over how they appear. Why does Kureel's spirit-shadow have a helmet? Why does One-Eye's spirit sometimes appear with an eyepatch, and sometimes without? If a Wolfrider who is being slowly transformed by the Palace dies, do their spirits appear more wolfish, or more pure-blooded?

I think if Tyldak had died before he started rejecting the wings, his spirit would have had wings. I wonder about Ekuar and Suntoucher...but I kind of like the idea of Spirit!Ekuar having a spirit cane, and Suntoucher with cloudy eyes...maybe seeing the living elves as spirits too.

RedheadEmber

Tam said: Why does Kureel's spirit-shadow have a helmet?

What? Where? When?

Tam

http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/KOBW/KOBW03/_Kings%20of%20the%20Broken%20Wheel%20-%203_page=1#_25#

I think we're seeing the big collar he had, but how his head's pointed there, and has that little tiny point behind...looks like a helmet to me. A few pages after that, after Clearbrook unwraps One-Eye's body, you see his spirit without the patch.

For that matter, why are the spirits wearing clothes at all? That, to me, says that they have some control over their spiritual appearance.

Embala

Why do they look like ELVES at all? ;) Basically all the pureblooded ones are Coneheads ...

Tam

Oh, but are we sure that Coneheads look like Coneheads in their spirit forms? ;)

Tavie

We're overthinking this spirit thing, guys. I'm not sure we're even supposed to assume the elves are seeing these spirits with their eyes - I think they're physical representations visible to us, the readers - thus, One-Eye has a patch and Kureel has a hat so we can tell who they are - but I don't actually think the elves are looking at anything at all. Not even "balls of light".

RedheadEmber

As Windkin so nicely put it:

This is another kind of "seeing".

I have a different question: Just how was Ember able to go "I need to reject Recognition." and 'PLINGPLONG', she was able to? Wouldn't Dewshine or Dodia have found that rather useful?

Tam

Then we're back at @krwordgazer 's question of why Tyldak appears in a form we only see a couple times instead of the form we're most familiar with.

But I do agree that what the elves are "seeing" may not be what we're seeing, or how we're seeing it.

RedheadEmber

Tam said: Then we're back at @krwordgazer 's question of why Tyldak appears in a form we only see a couple times instead of the form we're most familiar with.

I can't help but suspect that simple answer to that is:
Wendy and Richard are nastybad evil telltale bigthings who like to watch us go mad trying to figure these things out.
:-@ They basically like to WaRP our minds.

Embala

RedheadEmber said: Just how was Ember able to go "I need to reject Recognition." and 'PLINGPLONG', she was able to?
I had a weird idea about it: What if Ember is a healer like her mother? (or will become one)

... or she's simply majorly stubburn ^^

RedheadEmber

Embala said: I had a weird idea about it: What if Ember is a healer like her mother? (or will become one)

Or... she has the recessive genes (I think that's the right term) for healing, but isn't an actual healer herself. Thus her child will be a healer, bit like how healing skipped a generation between Rain and Mender.

Thornbrake

Nightsea said: PPS: The palace is changing the elves too…so what if that really is Cutter and Skywise in both panels of page 5 of the Quest?

Mind blown! 3:-O

Tam

RedheadEmber said: Wendy and Richard are nastybad evil telltale bigthings who like to watch us go mad trying to figure these things out.

When I'm telling a story, I like to do that too. ;)

RedheadEmber said: Just how was Ember able to go "I need to reject Recognition." and 'PLINGPLONG', she was able to?

I've been thinking about it like a delay and not a rejection...but also an evolutionary survival mechanism.

Think back to the Little Patch story. He's old, he's weak, he's dying...and yet he scrabbles through the trees and thorns for one last chance to see Tyleet. His body numbed that pain for him, gave him the burst of energy he needed to achieve his dying wish. And we see that sort of energy allocation in real life as well...people expending a burst of energy to lift a car off a child. Adrenaline numbing the pain of a broken bone. Even in basic survival, when a human runs from something hunting them, the body is able to shut down things like hunger cues and sexual drives to put all it can into escape. It's obviously a very temporary thing.

I think that's partly what's going on here. Recognition hit at the wrong time. Ember doesn't have the energy and strength to be suffering with Recognition denial while Angrif keeps her captive at gunpoint, and the food she's getting is obviously subpar. So she's consciously choosing to put Recognition aside so that her energy and strength is better utilized, which is an easier feat than what Leetah did when she denied Cutter in the beginning, because Ember NEEDS that energy elsewhere. But I think the Recognition urge will come right back if/when she and Teir are reunited.

Thornbrake

Tavie said: We're overthinking this spirit thing, guys. I'm not sure we're even supposed to assume the elves are seeing these spirits with their eyes - I think they're physical representations visible to us, the readers - thus, One-Eye has a patch and Kureel has a hat so we can tell who they are - but I don't actually think the elves are looking at anything at all. Not even "balls of light".

I don't know about that. In Searcher and the Sword and Discovery Shuna and Cutter comment about not being able to see spirit images while others can, and Krill, Darshek and Spine are clearly looking at spirits in Discovery. I think the spirits ARE manifesting themselves in a visual way.

I think that the elf spirits can either choose to appear however they want, or their appearance is dictated by how they perceive themselves.

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: Nightsea said: PPS: The palace is changing the elves too…so what if that really is Cutter and Skywise in both panels of page 5 of the Quest?

I'm a bit confused: What are you talking about?

Embala

deleted by user (pics were doubled)

Thornbrake

@RedheadEmber, this:

Cutter and Skywise High Ones

Tam

Although it would be interesting, I think it's fairly clear that those are early designs of High Ones...I can't remember the left's name, but the right would be Sefra.

RedheadEmber

Cool...

I had a long complicated post... but my mind is not being corporative. It was about timetravel and paradoxes.

skyward

Everything I wanted to freak out about has already been freaked out about, so let me just add: Serrin! I assumed she was dead! Does this mean Bowki's still alive too? Because I would kill to see Dart interact with his son again, or see Strongbow and Moonshade get to meet their grandson.

Vaya, my darling. =((

Tam

According to his character bio, Bowki has joined the spirits.

RedheadEmber

Tam said: According to his character bio, Bowki has joined the spirits.

Well... those bios are made by @Thornbrake, @Rob and @Heather. And though they seem to be pretty accurate, they're still not 100% canon, which is reserved solely for the comics (this is madly simplifying matters) so... as long as the comics haven't specifically stated that Bowki is indeed dead, there might still be hope. Though a somewhat slim one...

Moonmoss

My view on the "spirit appearance" question is that probably the spirit elves can choose how they are seen- and that it is really for the benefit of us, the readers to have a recognaizable character shape instead of aforementioned "woops, that light blob is Kahvi, that one must be...ummmmmmm.......oh, Crescent! " :P

About Ember and her ability to shut out the recognition: I think it must be a special stubborness/strenght of mind to be able to postpone that urge, something passed down to her from Leetah. Plus, Ember is bloody stubborn too, just like her sire can sometimes be...I think she still feels weakened by that unresolved recognition, but just managed to muffle the link between Teir's and her souls for a while. She knew Teir was in need of a healer in the end, right?
Probably his psyche is bit shattered at the moment, not as bad as Two-Edge was(and still is a bit), but still- first getting the Kahvi issues rise up, then having the one he got closest to wrench herself away...there was a quote from Elfmom somewhere that made me think this- she talked something about "someone slowly learning to trust and open up to someone and then have all that taken away" (Sorry if I phrase this wrong, don't want to put any words in Elfmom's mouth)

Aaaaand then, about why Ember is doing all this alone, only sending for help for Teir, not for herself...I think she desperately wants to prove herself to herself and to all others, that she can keep The Way like her father wanted, be a chieftess, be strong etc.. So she stubbornly won't take help but wants to solve this herself. Again, this page and Dewshine's words in the last panels made me come up with this theory.

elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/EQFQ/_Final%20Quest_page=1#_13#

I hate to say this, but I really think her choice might cost her her life...I hope not, but for now it seems like that.

Mkal

I just realized something about the last page. We see the spirits of Kahvi and Tyldak as they truly are, but in the OQ when Tyldak and Dewshine see each others' souls, we see this:

Screen shot 2014-08-06 at 9.59.08 AM

If Kahvi was truly the blood of the Wolfriders during Two-Spear's time, wouldn't her soul look more like Dewshine's?

Or am I just being too persnickety?

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: Well... those bios are made by @Thornbrake, @Rob and @Heather. And though they seem to be pretty accurate, they're still not 100% canon, which is reserved solely for the comics (this is madly simplifying matters) so... as long as the comics haven't specifically stated that Bowki is indeed dead, there might still be hope. Though a somewhat slim one...

Exactly -- but with @RichardPini's approval. If you look at Bowki's profile, which I wrote, there is a bit of fleshing out, but we are all very careful to base that on what is actually shown in the comics.

For example, Dart and Serrin have a conversation about the fact that Serrin would live far longer than a full-blooded Wolfrider. Given that Bowki was 3/4 Wolfrider, it stands to reason that he was mortal and that he'd have lived his life and passed into the spirit world by now. That said, should Wendy and Richard decide that he hasn't and show it in the comics or say it in some other official way, that trumps the character profiles and we'll update them.

Similarly, the bits about Bowki favoring his Wolfrider side and the bow and arrow whip aren't stated officially anywhere, but are based on what we were actually shown of him in the comics. There are links to what I'm talking about in the profile. Again, should we learn more about his character that conflicts with this, I'll update his profile.

Rob

Also, bear in mind that much of the text of the bios is taken from earlier versions and the gatherums--WIP, much of it! There's lots of stuff from the Wolfrider's Guide, too, which may be Canon Terror Threat Level "Elevated", and Blood of Ten Chiefs anthologies, which may be Canon Terror Threat Level "Dreamberry."

Tam

Rob said: There's lots of stuff from the Wolfrider's Guide, too, which may be Canon Terror Threat Level "Elevated", and Blood of Ten Chiefs anthologies, which may be Canon Terror Threat Level "Dreamberry."

=))

RichardPini

Stefan said: Almost makes the Palace some sort of a battery...

(With apologies to Hal Jordan and all the gang...)

It won't be happy till it's full
This elfin spirit crystal hull
So when you die (this is no bull)
You can't escape the Palace's pull!

maatkare22

I always thought Leetah didn't "reject" Recognition as much as just didn't consummate it. Ember seems to have found the killswitch.
Speaking of...I can't believe she's still tied to The. Damn. Chair. It's getting old, and I don't follow any of her logic for giving herself up to begin with. And yes, I get it that very little time has passed between issues. (also...shouldn't she have burst eardrums and be deaf? The gun was fired point blank at her back in #2.)
Ghost Kahvi? Ugh. Never liked her alive.
Absolutely not engaged with that pack of children.
Ardan Djun's fate reminds me of the way Vercingetorix was portrayed on the tv show "Rome."
I know the elves don't see nakedness the way we do, but I find it hilarious Timmain just sits around in the buff all the time.
I'm a longtime reader--will be buying the new Dark Horse collection shortly which will make the umpteenth time I've bought the original quest in its entirety. *sigh*

lunakat

maatkare22 said: I'm a longtime reader--will be buying the new Dark Horse collection shortly which will make the umpteenth time I've bought the original quest in its entirety.

Dude- I KNOW! Every single time they switch publishers, the original quest is reprinted in a new format... but not Seige, Secret of Two Edge or Kings.

lunakat

I just wanted to point out- it's a standard trope that if a gun is introduced in the first act, it will fire in the third.

Who gets shot?

maatkare22

lunakat said: I just wanted to point out- it's a standard trope that if a gun is introduced in the first act, it will fire in the third.

Who gets shot?

Yes, "Chekhov's gun." Or "Djun's mini-blunderbuss."

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: I just wanted to point out- it's a standard trope that if a gun is introduced in the first act, it will fire in the third.

Who gets shot?

Just want to point out that it's already been fired; Ardam got shot.

travelbug

I think Ember "closing of " to recognition is similar to Strongbow rejecting the sending from Timmain when they meet in the palace for the first time.

Wendy or Richard wrote somewhere (on facebook I think) that this story arc actually lasts only a few days in the world of two moons. #4 is a about a day, and #5 is the events of minutes.

RedheadEmber

:-O

#5 is gonna take place over just minutes?

sulken

Mkal said: If Kahvi was truly the blood of the Wolfriders during Two-Spear's time, wouldn't her soul look more like Dewshine's?

The "spirit-form" of dead Wolfriders apparently doesn't look like their "soul-form" (we have seen One-Eye, Crescent, Bearclaw and Joyleaf, right?)

travelbug

I remember it being written in the coments when the front page of #5 was published at facebook, but now I can't find it at all. It's like the #5 front page post was deleted or something. Weird.

One lady was commenting that Ember was still captured, and had been "for months", and Elfmom answered saying that Ember havent really been captured very long, and the current events take place during a short amount of time.
#4 is about a day, and #5 is the events of minutes.
(I'm not quoting here, my mind is'nt photographic, both may have used other words)

I think it would make sense if #5 is about all the little details in the big rescue, first Teir and then Ember? There is a lot of things going on at once, and many characters involved.

When I look at #1 and #2, it looks to me like its all happening in one night. Then #3 is the early morning after and some of the day, #4 the rest of that same day, Pool shot Rathol at sunset and Teir falls into the river in the evening/night as they are climbing the mountain in the dark.
I base this theory at the colors of the sky backgrounds

lunakat

sulken said: The "spirit-form" of dead Wolfriders apparently doesn't look like their "soul-form" (we have seen One-Eye, Crescent, Bearclaw and Joyleaf, right?)

I think you guys are being way too literal here.

travelbug said: Elfmom answered saying that Ember havent really been captured very long, and the current events take place during a short amount of time.
#4 is about a day, and #5 is the events of minutes.

Yes- she said it all happened in two days time.

RedheadEmber said: Just want to point out that it's already been fired; Ardam got shot.

I don't think that counts. He's not a major character- he's just a prop here to show how the gun works.

Thornbrake

maatkare22 said: I'm a longtime reader--will be buying the new Dark Horse collection shortly which will make the umpteenth time I've bought the original quest in its entirety. *sigh*

Wendy and Richard are bombarded with requests for the Original Quest in book form. Remember, it's been out of print for a while. So try to keep in mind that there are many people that want a book like this, and that the Original Quest is also the starting point for the entire series (and also one of the best), so it's the best arc to make sure is in print.

You might sigh at it's publication, but no one's forcing you to buy it. >:> That said, the ONLY way to ensure that additional volumes of later material are printed is to make sure the first volume sells well. If it doesn't, then Dark Horse has no reason to print further volumes.

The excellent news is that pre-orders for volume one of the Complete Elfquest must have been good, because Dark Horse has announced that it's publishing a second volume collecting Siege and Kings into one volume that will be out in January. You can pre-order it right here.

I think Dark Horse is genius to republish the older material while working on the Final Quest. Not everyone wants to jump into (or reacquaint themselves) with EQ on this "final" chapter.

Tam

I'm glad they're getting to Siege and Kings this go-round. I would kill (okay, not literally) for those colored like the DC Archives.

lunakat

Tam said: I'm glad they're getting to Siege and Kings this go-round. I would kill (okay, not literally) for those colored like the DC Archives.

I'm really glad they are collecting and reprinting these. I would love to see them colored well.

Tam

lunakat said: I'm really glad they are collecting and reprinting these. I would love to see them colored well.

Me too. I cherish my older editions (I have the ones with the big face, then the scene in the back...I can't remember who the publisher was for those), but I would love newer copies. I will probably eventually get The Complete Elfquest, but seeing Siege and Kings recolored is what I'm most wanting. Elfmom said on Facebook the other day that the DC Archives coloring is closest to her vision.

maatkare22

Thornbrake said: You might sigh at it's publication, but no one's forcing you to buy it. >:>

Please don't assume I'm naive. I'm aware how this stuff works. I don't mind giving the Pinis as well as my local comic shop some business. Doesn't mean I can't comment though, does it? When the holo-animated-neuro implant edition comes out in 2075, I'll probably buy that too, for my cryo-chamber--and grump aout it some more. ;-D

travelbug

I would love a colored version too. I didn't have money for the DC archives when they were available, so I missed out then.
I have the Father Tree Press graphic novels 1-9 and the rest in Readers Collections, but I would like to have the new ones as well.
I'll get my kids copies too. One day, when they leave home, they'll go with Elfquest books among their stuff and hopefully some Elfquest values in their hearts.
They already love the pretty art at 1 and 3 years old.

RedheadEmber

So, if Ember has only been a captive for about a day that kinda leads to another question: Why were Cutter and Leetah being so "Oh, why won't she send for help so we can come rescue our wittley baby?" =(( X( I get that they were worried for her, she's their daughter, but she's in her forties (approximately)!

Tam

Because no matter how old kids get, parents will always worry. They don't seem super overly worried to me, though. O.o

RedheadEmber

Okay... maaaybe I exaggarated (howeveryouspellthat) a tiiiiiiiiiiny littl bit.

lunakat

Personally, I think the only way it makes sense for them not to be more freaked out is if it's only been a couple of days. Think about it-- If you were eighty years old, and your forty year old daughter was kidnapped by a terrorist group- you'd still be concerned... even though she's forty. No matter how old she is, there is a pretty good chance this guy is going to kill her... storywise, only a 50/50 chance.

RedheadEmber

I kinda have an admitting (dunno the right word...):

I actually went back to the Special to see if there was any stuff like Kahvi's belly being obscured during the scenes with Tyldak's death. After all; how would Windkin know Kahvi was (possibly) pregnant at the time if she wasn't showing? We know that she's not really against being up and about even though the fawn might drop at any moment.
Nothing; there are quite a few pics showing her full figure and she doesn't look pregnant at all. But it would just be so Wendy to go "Kahvi was clearly pregnant when Tyldak died. Couldn't you see?"

Dewleaf

I just got it today, Teir, I'm screaming.

lunakat

Nightfall was pregnant with Tyleet a good while before she showed anything. It's a two year process- she probably only would have gotten later into it.

RedheadEmber

You're right. Didn't Nightfall say that her belly wouldn't show for another year, when Redlance protested against them being choosen for the quest to the New Land? Plenty of time for Windkin to learn (or at least be suspicious) that Kahvi was pregnant without her showing.

I've had some thoughts about the 'Sanctuary':
I don't think there's going to be a Sanctuary! They'll arrive at where it's supposed to be an find that either it was never there, or it's been long abbandonded. Then the children are going to build the Sanctuary.

Tam

RedheadEmber said: I've had some thoughts about the 'Sanctuary':
I don't think there's going to be a Sanctuary! They'll arrive at where it's supposed to be an find that either it was never there, or it's been long abbandonded. Then the children are going to build the Sanctuary.

I think it will be abandoned as well. I can't imagine it would have never been there...otherwise, why would someone have felt the need to mark it?

travelbug

On Teir being born after Tyldak died, possibly. That would mean he a younger than it says in Hidden Years (eight eights of eights and then some) but Wendy and Richard is slightly changing his powers, why not his age too, if it makes the story better? I dont mind :)

About the sanctuary, i hope it turns out Venka, Aroree and Twoedge are up there. In the Special, Venka and Aroree are pictured at the last page, in mountains somewhere, and I think its Venka's shadow we see at the second page of every issue.
I think its a sign she's close and will enter the story soon.
Also I remember Wendy saying (on facebook?) that they are sort of rounding up everybody, to get them in the right places for the Final Quest to really kick of.
(The way I see it, we're still dealing with Ember and Teir recognizing)

jorenm93

But why would Venka and company just 'sit' there, waiting for someone to find them. Btw, Venka knew Ember was in Junsland, so if she was there, wouldn't she visit them or so :P?

travelbug

Why imagine them just sitting there?
What if they found a new tribe of elves? Or a riddle to solve? Or a home without humans?

And to be fair, the only tribe ever to "visit" other tribes are Cutter's wolfriders ;)
And Kavhi.
Venka saw the other elves at the end of the Shards war, about 40? Years ago. Not very long in elf perspective

RedheadEmber

I thought Venka and co. began their search in the Frozen Mountains. Of course there's still plenty of time for them to make it across that ice-bridge, or through one of Two-Edge's tunnels.

travelbug

In Reunion it says Venka, Twoedge and Aroree follows the go-backs into the frozen wilderness. It doesn't say the frozen mountains, but I guess it must be the same area.
The Abode map doesn't have other places but Iceholt and the "SouthPole" appearing to have snowy climate

(Rereading Reunion, I also noticed Rayek and Eukar left the palace at Howling Rock, so they might possibly still be in Djunslands as well)

NEXT PAGE