ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The EQ Alternaverse Returns...

wingthing

New characters, new adventures...

September 2014

Thornbrake

Welcome back @Wingthing! Can you give a little description of the EQ Alternaverse? There are a lot of new folks.

wingthing

Oh, let's break out ye olde trailer script, heh.

What if Bearclaw had lost to Joyleaf's challenges? (shocking, I know)
What if Cutter had been born a girl? (high improbable)
What if elves kissed? (that's going too far)
What if Timmain wore clothes? ( Oh, come on!)

After eight years in wrapstuff, I'm going back into the worldpool.

The EQ Alternaverse the formerly archived adventures of Swift, Blood of Ten Chiefs, due to soon reboot and take on the Final Quest.

Vaeri

omg yeeees!! i was hoping for this!! i can't wait!! and now there is a chance we get to see the new Oasis!!<3 haaappppyyy...is September here yet?!!

Night_Tanem

Thanks for posting the link, I love the art on it!

wildfire

Oh gosh, that's amazing! I remember spending hours and hours reading those stories, the OCs are amazing. I'll have to reread them now that they're up again!

WolfCandy

This looks so awesome! Definitely reading it :D

manga

AHHHHHH! Huzzah! Woot woot woot! ~O) Looking forward, Wingthing! Oh yes. ^_^

Arthis

I'm so happy you and your site are back :D
Recently I've been re-reading your stories, thanks to the fantastic internet time machine, and I can't wait to read new stories!

Vaeri

arthis, you know you don't need the time machine anymore?

janesenese.com/swiftverse/swiftmain.html

Arthis

That's great, and the pictures are back too! My eyes see with joy :D

lunakat

September? Yes please!

Vaeri

are you and Sungirl working in collaboration again? will we get more art along with more stories?

wingthing

Oh... I think you will ;-)
Sungirl's been working on some awesome new pieces, both of new characters and old favorites.

Vaeri

*squeals* be still my heart!! i can't wait to see what you guys think up this time!!..and it'll be SO nice to have new stuff to read, i've read all of your stories at least 5 times now...XD

manga

New Sungirl art too?? Did I unearth a genie and make a wish without knowing? What was that about September?

Vaeri

i knoooow, it's so exciting!! i can't wait to see this stuff....september can't come soon enough!

Vaeri

i don't suppose there are any behind the scenes or teasers you'd like to share? it's so hard to wait two more weeks!!i'm so excited to see what is added to the Alternaverse after all this time!

wingthing

Funny you should mention that...

With the Alternaverse relaunching September 6th (that's right, I've set myself a hard deadline - ack!) I thought I'd share an excerpt from the first new fic. This takes place several thousand years after the last stories left off, and Swift has... evolved somewhat.

Tam had never understood why some elves would willingly shed their skins. Her childhood had been filled with loss and blood – to her, death had always been ugly, and enemy to be fought. That the elf lived on in spirit seemed precious little consolation. Life was flesh, and the heady sensations that went with it. Life was chasing the bloodsong and outrunning the great stillness. What possible consolation could be found in being a hollow wind whistling through the trees, or trapped within the Palace’s crystal spires? Spirits lived in pure thought. They could see and hear but never quite touch. To spend eternity thus, insubstantial, separated from loved ones still alive, able to commune in sendings but no more… when she thought about it too much, it stuck her as almost crueler than simply winking out of existence.

But now she understood. Leaving one’s skin wasn’t a loss; it was a transformation.

She soared through the emptiness of space, freer than the highest-flying bird. Her earthly eyes had seen the blackness between the stars and thought it cold, but as a spirit she knew better. Space wasn’t empty; it was scattered with new treasures to explore. Streams of solar wind tickled her spirit’s aura. As she passed through tails of gas molecules, she swore she could taste them like spices on her tongue. When she struck a passing spark of radiation, she tingled all over with static.

She had been so wrong; the spirits weren’t deprived of sensation – they were awash in it. Purer, subtler awareness than a crude husk could ever perceive.

Don't worry, more to come soon. :)

lunakat

OMG! She's dead?!

wingthing

Not necessarily... ;)

Vaeri

she learned how to go out?!!

(i would certainly HOPE she's not dead, she's the focal point of the whole universe!)

but soo exciting! and YES! september 6th!...i shall probably get a slice of cake to celebrate the first new story. i am really thrilled...i can't wait to read about everyone! to see how Haken and Chani are doing as the new leaders of Oasis, how Wren is doing as chief of a Wolfrider tribe, what's going on with the Green Moon Bay pirates.

also, i would like to ask...how does it feel coming back to Swift and her universe? what do you think about when you're trying to write the new stories? shaaaree your braaain with us!*drool* :p

wingthing

Oh, it feels crazy to be back with Swift and the gang. I really seem to go through "feast or famine" when it comes to the Alternaverse. Trying to reboot it crossed my mind from time to time over the years, but I just couldn't get past writer's block. And then Sun Girl and I spent like a whole weekend flipping through Readers Collections, laughing about the good ol' days in the Alternaverse and trying to figure out just where Final Quest is going. Didn't really think anything would come of it, but within a week I swear I was on a dreamberry overdose.
So lately Swift and the gang are constantly on my mind, especially as the Alternaverse will be going far into the future, and I'm trying to figure out how elfin society might evolve over 10,000 years when the Palace is still there to link up all the tribes. World building has always been my first love. So while there are going to be a few "classic" stories set in familiar territory, Swift and the crew will also be going into uncharted territory! It's been really... creatively invigorating I guess would be the word(s).

lunakat

That's the thing about Alternaverses. They can be hard to escape!

Vaeri

do you think you'll ever go back and write new stories that happen during the past? like before redlance dies? like what happens when Cholla is born, or Wren's recognition with Mink? or oooh, even when Scouter recognizes Leetah! what could have been their reactions to that? surely Leetah would have fought against it, and perhaps Scouter would be a bit tortured by the memory of the last recognition he dealt with (aka Dewshine and Tyldak)

wingthing

Oh, there will def. be several visits to Oasis and the Evertree. Among some of the storylines I've got planned are:

How Cholla got her name.
Pool and Scouter's difficult relationship.
Whatever happened to Kahvi? (Answers not necessarily guaranteed)
Savin discovers a new tribe of elves.

Lots more to come over the next few months, Real Life permitting, heh.

Vaeri

ooooh! fantastic to hear some of the things you hinted about in the Oasis children's bios will be visited in detail!^^ lots more is always fantastic. i can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

and a new tribe...oh boy, this'll be interesting!

wingthing

With just over a week to the relaunch, here's another excerpt from Swift's first new adventure:

**Come on!** Fahr sent, laughter in his spirit-voice.

She saw him ahead of her with her spirit-sight. He was a dancing ball of light, flitting towards the great yellow star. Chasing after him required no exertion, no fumbling of limbs. She simply thought herself at his side, and there she was. Their auras spun around each other, aglow with joy. Spiralling together, their spirits fell into the corona of the star, into an invisible fire that writhed and breathed like a living thing. Tam marvelled at the flames dancing over her aura, heat without limit, heat without pain.

**This is what I’ve longed to share with you,** Fahr cried. **The stars are alive!**

**Yes… yes! I never understood before. I saw their light… but I could never feel them. Oh, Fahr! Now I truly hear your starsong.**

**This way.**

**What, deeper?** She contemplated the depths of roiling ball of fire.

**Come on, Tam. Don’t tell me you never wondered what it would like to swim in fire.**

**Swim?** she exclaimed. But Fahr was pulling her spirit further down. They passed through layers of heat, some mild as a warm breeze, others crackling with the taste of lightning, still others thick and turgid like a river in spring thaw. They passed through great arcs of burning gas. They dove into waves of it, they splashed and swam and swirled each other about in a spirit’s dance. Tam might have been content to float on the star’s surface forever, letting the currents carry her across the glowing globe. But Fahr drew her deeper still, into a world where the pressure was so great she could feel her astral form compressing, transforming.

He showed her the very center of the star, where the miniscule seeds of its life were baked in tremendous heat and pressure, until they fused together with a burst of flame. He took her through the loops of energy that held the star together, like threads sealing a seam in a bag. He taught her how to ride on a spark inside the loops, travelling out towards the star’s surface, then plunging back to the center in a dive more thrilling than any ever made astride a giant hawk.

Vaeri

wow, Swift is really enjoying being a spirit! and obviously Skywise has been practicing for all these millenia...i wonder where Rayek is? keeping an eye on their bodies, or out of his body as well but in a different place? i also wonder what it is that prompted Swift to go out...

and now i'm wondering what Venka and Zhantee have been up to! have Tass and Cricket lifemated? does Skywise get along with his brother now that he's an elder as well? Are Gypsy and Piper finally lifemated as well? Have the Gliders officially been reestablished as a tribe? i want to know who has recogniiiizeeed!!!*Flails* i am so looking forward to the release!!

lunakat

Are Skywise and Swift going to recognize? As in- was this all just a delayed recognition after all? That would be kind of cool..

Vaeri

i really sincerely doubt that, cause it's been thousands of years since they recognized...plus Wingthing said it. Skywise belongs to Sungirl, and she would kill Wingthing if he ever looked at anyone else besides Savin. so very very VERY unlikely.

....obsessive fan, who, me? never!

lunakat

But maybe Sungirl has changed her views since then? Yeah, I know...

But it would kind of make sense... if they started to recognize- but something happened, like a glitch in the system, and it never really fully happened... then, all these years later- something dislodges the glitch, and boom! Or maybe they are too old now. Or maybe it's just not like that...

I always thought that if Skywise and Cutter were male/female they would have been recognized lifemates. But that's just my making up lovely things.

wingthing

Oh, I think Vaeri called it. Yeah, some things change. But Sun Girl will always own Skywise in the Alternaverse. :D I no touchy Skywise, she no touchy Rayek, and peace is preserved.

But don't worry, there's still more than enough chemistry between Swift and Skywise that Rayek and Savin have fairly regular "God, I wish they'd just get OVER each other already!" drinking sessions.

Vaeri

At least Rayek and Savin have each other to complain to!....yay for being an obsessive fan!*waves arms*

travelbug

I just read the stories about Grayling :) wow...

Vaeri

5 more days! 5 more days!

wingthing

Here's a little something more to tide you over ;)
Continuing where we left off:

Time meant nothing to spirits. Tam could not begin to reckon how long they spent playing inside the star. But finally Fahr grew restless to show her more.

**Come, let me show you why I picked this star.** He led her back into the gentle stillness of space. After the overload of sensations inside the star, Tam found it a pleasant idyll. But soon they reached Fahr’s next destination. As she saw the rocky planet grew ever larger, she found she was hungry for new experiences.

**It’s like our Mother Moon!** Tam exclaimed.

**Yes. But it is a world of its own. It circles its sun by itself.**

They sailed down over the planet’s surface. It was a desert world, searing hot from its proximity to its sun. Mountains and craters scarred its terrain, creating intricate overlapping patterns of fractured rock. Tam dove down into one such fissure. She followed it deep under the planet’s surface. When she reached solid rock, she plunged deeper still, to taste its particular mixture of minerals. Then she swam back up to the surface, through deposits of gold and greymetal.

They played a game, trying to find the largest crater, then the smallest one, then the one with the most interesting features. They found the terminator that separated the planet’s day from its night, and they skated on the frost that gathered beyond the sun’s rays. They found tiny little creatures, scarcely more evolved than bacteria, growing in the shadow of a crater at the planet’s northern pole. Then Fahr suggested they visit the next world.

**There are more?**

He laughed. **There are always more!**

The second world was wreathed in heavy clouds. From space, they looked peaceful, within them thunderstorms raged, and the air tasted of poison. At the planet’s surface, the heat and pressure made soft metals turn liquid and pool on the reddish ground. They sampled each little puddle they could find, then counted lightning strikes from the storms that raged forever overhead.

**Surely nothing can live here.**

**Haven’t found it yet. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t here. Who knows. Maybe there are spirits living in the lightning. Maybe they’re saying hello to us.**

**Let’s find out.**

They chased down the lightning. They leapt onto the electricity as it sprang back into the clouds, then rode the next bolt back down to the planet’s surface. They let themselves float on the wind, and soon flew all the way around the entire world. Then they spread their spirits out on the rocks, bathing in the strange orange glow.

**Wait until you see the third planet,** Fahr sent. **You’ll think you’re back on Abode.**

Abode. The sending conjured memories of her birthplace, of the friends and family still walking its surface. Tam felt exhilarated and oddly mournful at once. She wished they could all be here to share her joy.

**Let’s go, then!**

But she felt something tethering her to the rocky plain. A presence, holding her gently pinned. Were she still in her body, she might describe it as a hand resting on her arm.

Vaeri

well now, this is interesting!...and this must be a very long story for you to reveal so many spoilers...:p though i have to ask, are you releasing just one story on the 6th, or a couple?

and yay, 4 days, 4 days!

wingthing

Three fics (including this one) will go up on Saturday, as well as updated features and some new art. Then some more stories should follow in a couple more weeks. :D

I have.... not quite a plan yet, more like a scheme for Alt-Final Quest that I hope to nail down better over the coming months, especially once FQ5 comes out and we all find out just what all those palace spirits can do.

Vaeri

....oh my god looooooveeee!!! 3 fics, and new features!! and aaaarrrrttt!! so haaapppy....

Arthis

Visiting Earth, are they?

Vaeri

.....god i'm oblivious, arthis picked it up! it's the solar system!*head desk*

wingthing

=D> ... The question now is... will they make it to Earth before... well, you'll see tomorrow. ;)

lunakat

wingthing said:
... The question now is... will they make it to Earth before... well, you'll see tomorrow.

Ack!

Vaeri

Sep 9, 2014

i love the teeeeaaaseeeers!! tomorrow, tomorrow!...actually tomorrow comes in 20 minutes for me. whoot!

wingthing

Sep 9, 2014

When we last left off, Swift's side-trip to Earth had just been halted by... a familiar presence:

**Rayek – what?**

**And sweet water to you, lifemate mine,** he sent lazily. **I’ve come to inquire how much longer you intend to dally out here.**

**I don’t know. A while. Skywise is going to show me a world like ours–**

**Mm, I’ve been studying it from the Palace.**

**That’s nothing. Come with us. Come see it for yourself – feel it for yourself!**

Rayek’s aura flickered in dry amusement. **While I always enjoy… feeling things with Skywise,** his sending dripped with sarcasm, **Savin has prepared a meal of seared bluefin and fried cuttlefish, and I do not intend to see it go to waste.**

**All right. Have fun. We’ll see you later.**

**You’ve been gone a year already.**

Tam started at that. **No! Can’t be. We just got here. Skywise?** But Fahr’s spirit only shrugged.

**I’m aware time holds little meaning for spirits,** Rayek continued. **And I won’t say Savin and I cannot… amuse each other,** he added with a wicked spirit-smirk in Fahr’s direction.

**Har, har, blackhair.**

**And we value your freedom. Still, we do not think it an unreasonable request to dine with our lifemates at least once a year.**

Tam sighed. **Well… can’t you both come join us?**

**Tempting. But as I said, Savin spent a long time preparing this meal, and I do not intend it to see it wasted. And while it pains me to have to do this…**

**No, it doesn’t,** Fahr sent irritably.

**Not really, no,** Rayek admitted. **Now, you have until the count of eight to return to the Palace.**

A tremor shook Tam’s aura. Had she been in her skin, she would have felt her hackles rise. She hated ultimatums. **Or what?**

His spirit glowed with wicked delight. **You know what.**

**You wouldn’t!** Fahr charged.

**You know I will. Eight. Seven.**

**He’s bluffing,** Tam insisted.

**You’ll find out soon enough. Six. Five.**

**Just one more planet,** Tam bargained. **We’ll come back tomorrow.**

**Four. I suggest you start back now if you wish to be home in time.**

**Aw, come on, blackhair!** Fahr pleaded.

**For Freefoot’s sake!** Tam cried. **You’re being childish.**

**Three. Two.**

**You get me sick all over the floor, and you’ll have to clean it up!**

**We do what we must, lifemate mine. One.**

Rayek’s aura started to disperse. Tam felt the pressure ease from her hand and she knew he had returned to the Palace.

**Scat, scat, scat!** Tam raged as she pictured herself back inside the crystal pod, and within an instant she was there watching Rayek calmly stride towards the two wrapstuff cocoon lying on a stoneshaped pallet. He was already drawing his dagger.

No, no, no, I am not getting husk-shock again!

She plunged down into the nearest cocoon. She felt Rayek’s hair ruffle at the edge of aura as she forced herself under the layers of wrapstuff and skin and sinew.

Rayek sliced open the cocoon. The body of Swift, Blood of Ten Chiefs, opened its eyes.

“There are you,” Rayek said cheerfully.

“I hate you!” she spat, though her voice was too weak and drowsy to summon the necessary venom. She slowly lifted her head, fighting the sensation of vertigo. She had cut that much too close. The last time she had waited too long to re-enter her body, and learned all about the phenomenon of death, only in reverse.

Rayek only clucked his tongue chidingly and turned to Skywise’s cocoon.

Careful not to make any sudden moves, Swift sat up, rubbing her sore head. After a year of total freedom of dimension, her body felt much too small. Her skin seemed almost painfully tight.

Coarse, earthbound sensations flooded her consciousness. The bright light of the Scroll Chamber. The sound of Rayek’s dagger slicing through wrapstuff. The smell of seared fish and sugary wine. The red-and-white blur coming towards. Swift blinked repeatedly until her vision focused.

“Well…” Savin drawled. “ Look who’s back.”

The EQ Alternaverse, Version 2.0 is now LIVE

Still fixing a few broken links for a couple pictures and trying to figure out why my web-builder program decided to do half the fics in one font, and the other half in another (I said Times New Roman, curse you!) Bear with me over the next few days.

Vaeri

Sep 9, 2014

woah. you even made an entire new website?!!...awww, i'm gonna miss the black background...

okay time to read!

do you know some of the bio pics are fuzzy?

wingthing

Sep 9, 2014

I kinda miss the black background too - but I know some people found it a little hard to read. Yeah, dunno why the bio pics came out blurry, that's tomorrow's chore - that and figure out why one coppersky pic refuses to be thumbnail-i-fied. :-/

Oh, and I just realized I didn't include the link to one of the new fics on the main listing. It's here

Vaeri

Sep 9, 2014

oooh, there's more than 2 new fics?!! YAY!!

and i sooo wanna ask about one thing, but dun wanna spoil it for other people who haven't realized...it's about Ember, and it's not on the timeliiineee!

i am thoroughly pleased this 3rd fic is longer than the first two.^^

lunakat

Sep 9, 2014

Sweet!

manga

Sep 9, 2014

One of the things I love is how Rayek hasn't become a sugary Marty Stu in the intervening years. Canon Leetah has, I feel. But Alt Rayek is still snarky. "You will come home and have a nice family dinner or I'll cut you out of that cocoon myself!" Hah!

wingthing

Sep 9, 2014

Awwww yeah! Rayek without snark is just.... not Rayek!

wingthing

Sep 9, 2014

New FIC and ART up at the EQ Alternaverse!

A sample of what's new: Here's Sun Girl's latest portrait of Weatherbird (Sunstream's daughter)

Vaeri

Sep 9, 2014

i kinda miss sungirl's old art style...XD but loving Weatherbird's new outfit!! and yay more fics!!*flails happily*

lunakat

Sep 9, 2014

I'm lovin it!

Just like Justin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZl7JyYcvw

manga

Sep 9, 2014

Ooh, new goodies! Thank you, Wingthing and Sungirl!

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

A sneak peak of things to come...

Another gorgeous piece from Sun Girl. I'm not going to tell you too much about this elf just yet - only that her name is Melati, she's the daughter of elves you've already met, and she's going to become a major player when the Alternaverse takes on Final Quest.

Let the wild speculations begin!

lunakat

Oct 10, 2014

She is the surprise love child of Tyra Banks and an unnamed Sun Villager!

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

woah she's pretty. and me thinks she may be a healer cause of the hand glowy! what bright eyes...

Soreyes

Oct 10, 2014

Hmm Daughter of Pool and.... oh I'll leave the Mother a mystery for now ;)

Soreyes

Oct 10, 2014

I have always enjoyed the story's and character development in the Alternaverse. I have noticed that there have been a few tweaks in the reboot. But the one that slapped me in the face was DART AND EMBER :-t

Oh there has to be a good story behind that.

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Oh there sure is a story behind Dart and Ember! Teir's gonna have a rough time of it, no doubt. :((

Delhya

Oct 10, 2014

WOW!!! Awesome new pics

manga

Oct 10, 2014

What are these reboots mentioned? So far I recognize all the stories I've read.

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

If you look in the family trees, you can see hints of stories to come. Lots of new kids being born. So far a lot of the hows and whys are still in my head, but look for a new story to go up in another day or two.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

yaaay new stories! i can't wait!^^

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Soreyes said: Hmm Daughter of Pool and.... oh I'll leave the Mother a mystery for now ;)

=D> We have a winner!

Melati's story The Face of the Enemy is now live.

Soreyes

Oct 10, 2014

WOW!!!! She is one twisted Elf.

I think The Lord is in for one rood shock.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

i didn't know this was a competition!!*pout*

just kidding. :p i had checked the family tree and wanted to stay quiet and see if people who didn't look speculated. must reeeead!!

edit: woooooaaaaah 3 parter!....i'm so happy!*tears up*

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

....okay i'm not happy any more.daymn. that is all i have to say.*shakes head*

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Heh, heh. Then I've done my job. :!! But fear not, this is far from the end for Melati and Yosha. Their epic Frankenstein romance has really just started.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

oh good, good...i was thinking about it on my way to work(yah, it's been bothering me all day!), and i was gonna say to you, "i reeeeeally hope that these guys get a resolution" and yah...i was thinking you might be reading too much Frankenstein and watching too much Once upon a time >.>...beauty and the beast, really...

oh well, at least it fits the halloween season.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

any idea when we may see Melati and Yosha again?>.> i'm reeeeal curious about how the other elves will react if they see Yosha...or will Melati run off with her mistake?

travelbug

Oct 10, 2014

Wingthing, I'm so impressed with your stories :-O :-O what a talent!

The one about Melati and Yosha is quite eerie. I can't even imagine where it might go from here. Wow

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Oh, thankee thankee.

As for where their story leads, we the readers will be seeing Yosha again quite soon - hopefully before Halloween if my work schedule allows. The inhabitants of the Alternaverse, including sadly his parents, will have to remain in the dark about his resurrection for quite some time to come. Mel's keeping her new science project all to herself.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

snerk....science project indeed...XD well i suppose eventually we'll see their reaction. i'm definitely interested to see what direction this will go in.

travelbug

Oct 10, 2014

Maybe Yosha would stand a chance if all healers gathered in the palace to work on him together?
But I can't see that option go together with Melati's personality.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

well she did beg for help from the other healers when Yosha fell from the cliff. i'm personally wondering what did happen....did Yosha's soul get damaged? or maybe only a small part of his soul is in the body now.

ever time i think about how Mel couldn't find the "door" in his mind...i'm reminded of how Leetah healed Teir when his...recognition receptor broke. the whole "opening like a flower to the rain" thing. is it possible this is a similarity of what happened?...or did Melati somehow forgot to create the door when she was recreating Yosha's brain? questions, questions...

travelbug

Oct 10, 2014

Maybe elf souls are to complicated to heal?

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

well healing a soul is not what i was talking about...i was talking about physical stuff. Melati found that Yosha's brain is now like a humans...it's...cut off basically. no telepathy, no recognitions. the same thing happened with Teir...the resemblance is uncanny...XD

perhaps that psychic blast when she yanked Yosha's soul into the body burned out his recognition receptor, like the psychic backlash when Leetah defeated the...weird creature thing.

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

The resemblance IS uncanny, isn't it? ;) Hmm... I wonder if the Master of the Shape changed himself might be making an Alternaverse appearance in due time...

Basically what Melati has deduced has happened is that the "door" - the elfy-thalamus if you will, got obliterated, and unlike say, the prefrontal cortex, she can't regrow it from genetic blueprints. Last time she tried to make one from scratch... well, you saw what happened to the human. And of course, if SHE can't do it, obviously Grandma Leetah or Daddy Pool couldn't possibly be of any help. Mad geniuses do not ask colleagues for second opinions.

...You know it's bad when you compare someone to Winnowill, and they go "pft, you're thinking too small."

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

.....now i'm wondering if that was intentional or coincidence...>.>...

hmm...well technically you could regrow ANYTHING from genetic blueprints if you put the surrounding cells back into a fetal state...an elf blueprint says, "we need this organ like this." and thus, it will be so. i remember seeing the exact thing when Adam from Mythbusters did some immortality what if show...featured regrowing an arm with that exact process.

so it's entirely possible there is no such blueprint for a humans brain, while there is one for the elfin brain. SCIENCE!....though yah.

...and yes, it is absolutely...she's definitely more twisted than Winnowill on a level...though at least Meli here learned how to love in her lifetime and not after.

....quite honestly, i think of your Swiftverse, and i think of my friend amethyst's Children of the World. in her au, the descendant of another band of high ones comes to Abode to the planet after the Palace war. she and some elf friends burst the draining field on Abode, and the elf is somehow able to ressurect all the "unjustly slain souls" in the palace....INCLUDING the currently Wrapstuffed One-Eye, and he gets his other eye back! and Vaya!...and all the elves get a huge burst of fertility with recognitions everywhere. i enjoy musing what would happen in the Swiftverse if such a thing happened.

*cackles at the idea of Mura strolling into Green Moon Bay again*

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Vaeri said: hmm...well technically you could regrow ANYTHING from genetic blueprints if you put the surrounding cells back into a fetal state...an elf blueprint says, "we need this organ like this." and thus, it will be so.

Oh no doubt , technically you could... but at this point Mel can't. Might she develop the power later? Might some other healers eventually need to take over for her? Oh... you'll have to wait and see ;)

... I know, I'm such a tease.

Ohh... Mura walking back into Green Moon Bay. Why do I have a feeling she'd be torn between going all "What have you done to my ship?" To Loosestrife - Loosestrife's response: "sigh, let's go over this again, m'lady - it's not your ship, your ship sank 5000 years ago..." - and going straight to the tavern to discover what advancements have been made in the field of cocktails.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

XDDD that is absolutely hilarious. not to mention any elf who hadn't died of old age would be coming back...like i dunno, Savin's great great grandparents?....the islands will be very full...XD

and Swift would be happy to have Joyleaf back! and be tempted to kill Bearclaw again herself...and yaaay, Grayling could be happy cause Crescent comes back!...but what the hell would happen when Igen coming back? poor Ekaur and Jarrah. so many speculations and odd scenarios! i'd write it, but i dun have the intimate knowledge of the characters...

but fascinating, the possibility of Mel gaining the ability...course that might require killing him again...or brain surgery. cut out of a chunk of his brain where the elfin receptor should be, and regrow the whole thing.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

i had a thought...well musing really.

i was thinking about Melati and Yosha again, and the part where Chani let's Melati near the human...and started thinking about the woman herself. and i remembered during Oasis, how Swift said she wanted to get to know Haken and Chani properly..

now a part of me wonders, how did that meeting go?Haken may not have the best of feelings, considering Swift is Timmain's direct descendant and she had the wolfblood most of her life, but Chani on the other hand...she is Swift's many times aunt. would she be welcoming to Swift as family? and i remembered how Chani once apologized to Savah for what Winnowill did to her...would Chani apologize to Swift for what Winnowill did to her, removing her wolfblood forcibly? curious if this may be an aspect that'll pop up eventually in a story.

lunakat

Oct 10, 2014

Chani's resurrection was kind of creepy.

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

i thought it was nice...i mean, it was definitely not typical villian stuff we see in EQ...which is what Wingthing was going for. XD i mean, i'm always up for more elves being able to live again! we need more elves!!

lunakat

Oct 10, 2014

It was touching- but also a little creepy. Can something be creepy and nice at the same time?

Vaeri

Oct 10, 2014

apparently! XD

Blackbird

Oct 10, 2014

I have been gone to long from this forum, Wingthing is back!!!! And the wonderful alternaverse! So much catching up to do <3

wingthing

Oct 10, 2014

Melati's back, and living with the consequences of her actions.

Part One of The Nature of the Beast is online.

Didn't quite get the whole thing wrapped in time for Halloween, but it's a start. Part Two should go up later this weekend, and Part Three next week.

Vaeri

Nov 11, 2014

whooooo!! i must read!...i already have chills.

edit: wow...fairly intense. i feel bad for Melati, watching him grow into what Yosha could have been. and he is growing much more intelligent...similar and different from Yosha...perhaps she caught a bit of another soul along with Yosha? i can't wait for part 2!

wingthing

Nov 11, 2014

Part Two is up and running!

Vaeri

Nov 11, 2014

woah...just very...woah. now i'm somewhere torn between wanting Yosha to come back to himself, and wanting Beast to become more himself. and i'm really curious about those eroded entries...

i hope soon Sungirl will show us what Yosha or Beast looks like.

wingthing

Nov 11, 2014

... I can neither confirm nor deny that there will be art update along with Part Three... ;)

Vaeri

Nov 11, 2014

oh yay, uncomfirmation! XD still looking forward to seeing what happens with Melati and Beast...jeez, i keep wanting to type her name as Metali. XD

Vaeri

Nov 11, 2014

i had an interesting speculation this too early morning when i couldn't sleep....

Kit's soul is in Littlefire's body....what happened if somehow Kit's soul triggered a recognition with someone else? Would Littlefire have to do the requirements? or would it be just a soul recognition?

..on the other hand, it'd be interesting if Littlefire's genetics caused the recognition, with Kit's soul facilitating it. would they end up recognizing a male for Kit's soul, or a female for Littlefire's genetics?....this is what happens when you wake up too early and random things pop into your head.

manga

Nov 11, 2014

So, a few thoughts:

1) Now we have an elf with Rayek's arrogance and standoffishness and Leetah's looks and magic. Oh, this will be interesting. In the Chinese curse sense. ;D

2) Melati and Beast are reminding me strongly of Winnowill and The Broken One. One of the things I really enjoy about the Alternaverse is how Wingthing echos elements of the EQ canon in her own way.

3) Melati may think she's learned everything she needs from Leetah but I suspect there's one thing she's missing. Leetah killed herself following Thiro's death. I doubt that's something she's mentioned to her combative, unpredictable, arrogant and, most importantly, BARELY FIFTEEN grandchild. I predict Melati will learn of this soon enough, if she doesn't come to a similar conclusion on her own. I await developments eagerly. :D

Soreyes

Nov 11, 2014

Hmmm me thinks that Melati is a Sandwich short in the picnic basket of life. Then again she looks at life from a different point of view..... I like :D

Vaeri

Nov 11, 2014

yeah Manga, but Leetah was never able to bring creatures back to life. Melati has been able to do that countless times. there are different kinds of skills...i'm sure Winnowill never nearly killed herself to learn healing, and it could be said she had greater powers than Leetah.

Plus by time Melati tells Leetah straight up she had nothing more to teach her, Melati is 18. check the timeline.^^

....i see what you did there Wingthing >.> you made her legal so there'd be no jailbate underage issues. veeeeery clever.

lunakat

Nov 11, 2014

Do elves even have age of consent?

NEXT PAGE