ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Sun Village technology

manga

This thread is for discussing Sun Folk technology, though I would define that very broadly. We know they have clay and brick making. Rayek seems to have introduced them to the idea of domesticated animals, though Shen-shen's comment about collecting lizard eggs before the sun grows too hot (in JtSE) would also seem to indicate that the Sun Folk haven't branched out and domesticated any food animals. Rayek's spear point raises some questions. Gold can't take or keep an edge, so perhaps it is silver. We did see an elfin smith at work but it's been stated that the Sun Folk only worked with soft medals.

Night_Tanem

Maybe it was clay covered in gold...

Elwing

I wonder if Zwoot yield any usable fibres, like the soft camel hair that is sometimes used in high quality textiles. Maybe it can be felted!

As for domesticated animals, there's the zwoot, which would have given them milk, meat and manure. I wonder if Zwoot yield any usable fibres, like the soft camel hair that is sometimes used in high quality textiles. Maybe it can be felted? Some berber nomads still live in camel hair tents.
Taming those zwoots was probably the smartest thing Rayek ever did.
Also, I'm pretty sure I saw a pet cat once. Useful for keeping the rodents out of the food storages!

As for brick making, they seem to use adobe bricks, so unbaked bricks made of mud, straw and manure. This is an ancient and widespread technology. The Ancient Egyptians built multi level houses of these, and so did Native Americans, and many others.

Night_Tanem

Leetah was the one with the cat

Vaeri

they seem to have the agricultural down...what with the farming, and milling. and they can bake! "eeek, my fresh baked bread!"

certainly they are making cloth from something, other than the mothsilk. and it's not leather...they seem to be able to make something akin to linen, though the source is unknown to me. examples are the clothes Leetah and even Shenshen wears, and Leetah's bed. and they can weave ropes!

i think they can also do enamel work, because of the bead curtains they use for their windows and doors.

Elwing

Hmm, that could also be simple wood or clay beads, painted. But they may have some pottery glazes. Could they have the technology to make glass? What's the thing behind Savah's throne made off, and the lanterns?

Tam

Well, glass is just made of sand, and they've got plenty of it...I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a discovery one day and stumbled on the way to make it. :)

Elwing

well actually glass is a bit more complicated than that. But the Ancient Egyptians were able to cast opaque but colorful glass in sand moulds.

So, I'll let this slide ;)
I would like to add to that, that in the bit of research I have done, no pre-contact American cultures developed the use of glass, and the "blowing" of clear glass didn't really start until the early days of the Roman empire.

Tam

Haha, yeah, I'm aware that it was a very simplistic thing to say... XD

Vaeri

but i don't think Savah's throne would count, because that was shaped by Yurek. magic, not technology. though they do talk about having "clearstone", though i have yet to figure out if it's glass or a type of quartz or gemstone or something...i did see a quartz yesterday as clear as glass almost.

Tam

Well, I don't see why a talented rockshaper wouldn't be able to filter impurities out of already clearish gemstones to make them more transparent. :)

Elwing

That! And also, any transparent material does not have to be glass. Clearstone could be what we call micra, or rock crystal. Transparent organic materials like horn or skin (parchment) were used in lightning equipment- not only because they were available, but because they were light.

Vaeri

but that still remains magic and not technology, right? and entirely possible it could be micra..i just wasn't sure what it was. i remember Rayek using it, and it seems Savah has a bunch of them hanging in her hut.

Embala

I want this necklace! ^^

When was it said that Yurek formed the "glass" of the throne? In the novelization?

Vaeri

er...i'm not sure actually...i just generally hear/see fans saying that and follow that....

Tam

I know there's an old picture floating around of Yurek and Savah shaping it, but I'm pretty sure it's fan art. But the idea had to come from somewhere...

Vaeri

yup, it was drawn for a fan art calendar. deviantart.com/art/The-Mosaic-109712934

but indeed...the idea did have to come from somewhere.

Elwing

Nice!

Embala

I love this calender pic! Foxeye's artwork is gorgeous. Maybe it ihas been actually HER idea to show this '"Hidden Moment" this way ...

Vaeri

indeed, i always found the image gorgeous myself...shame Foxeye doesn't seem to do art anymore. anyway as i said, regardless of if Yurek did in fact shape it or not, it still remains magic.

i just can't seem to think of any other technology the Sun folk use...they are rather simplistic, despite the brilliance of what they CAN do...i mean forgeing and weaving are no easy tasks. but it feels like much of what they accomplish greatest is done through magic...via rockshaping, like for the well.

though perhaps the crank and pulley system for the well could be considered rather ingenious technology for the age. i don't think humans would invent something like that for a few more millenia.

travelbug

I think it is described that Yurek shaped the huts in the novel? (Will have to reread to be sure)

Startear

It wouldn't surprise me that Yurek shaped the first huts, but after he died, the Sun Villagers had to learn how to make them themselves. And got quite good at it too.

RedheadEmber

Tekshu might've shaped some of it as well.

manga

"The Enemy's Face" clearly shows them using clay bricks to build Leetah's hut, for what it's worth.

RedheadEmber

Startear said: It wouldn't surprise me that Yurek shaped the first huts, but after he died, the Sun Villagers had to learn how to make them themselves. And got quite good at it too.

(emphasis mine)

"The Enemy's Face" is HY9, right? The one telling the story of Rayek's and Leetah's early years. Yurek (and Tekshu) would be long gone by then.

RichardPini

Elwing said: And also, any transparent material does not have to be glass. Clearstone could be what we call micra, or rock crystal.

Mica. Or, as in the old days, isinglass. Very versatile stuff, before high-temperature glass came to be common.

manga

So much for my assumption that Rayek's collar was rubies and gold. I thought those panels were far too large to make sense as rubies anyway. I only started thinking they were after reading the novelization and trying to work out what "red clear stone" could be.

MultiFacets

Cherry quartz? Hematoid quartz, maybe? I know it's a stretch, but it's my best guess.

Startear

We do know that they can make bread. Big loaves, not flatter ones, so that means that they either know how to make yeast, or sourdough.