ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

lesbian elves???

NoodlesKraft

Did dart kinda recognize a dude? (Wonder what strong bow thought about that?) Are there any lesbian elves? I'd love it if yun "recognized" a girl

lunakat

Well.. There are Skywise's lovemates from the Sun Village. They were at least bisexual, right? And Leetah and Nightfall got down in the furs, etc.

I don't think there are any homosexual or heterosexual elves- actually. I think the elves just kind of go for who they like. They don't really fall into strict categories that way. So- probably no lezzie elves anymore than gay elves or straight elves.

That said, Wendy did mention that the Final Quest would feature a same-sex pairing. Maybe we will run into a couple of female elves who, like Skywise, "prefer what maidens have" (even if they do sometimes mount a boy for sport).

Embala

lunakat said: "prefer what maidens have" (even if they do sometimes mount a boy for sport).
;)

Heather

I don't think Strongbow would be in any way upset by Dart being with a male elf. The elves don't look at sexuality the way we do as humans. You're not heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual.
Wendy has even said that every one has "treed" with each other at some point.
I have always thought that Bearclaw and Strongbow had quite a few fun times together!

Night_Tanem

As I see it elves just love, they don't need the categories. Recognition (and I haven't read any final quest issue yet so I might be wrong) results in children so I would think same sex elves won't recognize each other. No?

Heather

Night_Tanem said: so I would think same sex elves won't recognize each other. No?

Skywise and Cutter recognized each other

:) :>

Night_Tanem

Someone needs to read the books again 8-> I just assumed somehow that they had a bond that was a lot bigger than friendship/brotherhood but I didn't realize they actually recognized... Well, I'm not working next week so I'll do something about that then. Thanks for the correction @Heather

Tavie

recognized

Heather

Night_Tanem said: Well, I'm not working next week so I'll do something about that then.

Sounds like a good way to spend time off! :ar!

Thornbrake

Heather said: I have always thought that Bearclaw and Strongbow had quite a few fun times together!

Hot! :(

(Sad that there's no Strongbow emoticon to put next to Bearclaw.)

Thornbrake

Night_Tanem said: Well, I'm not working next week so I'll do something about that then.

Here's the story of Cutter and Skywise's Recognition, @Night_Tanem.

Night_Tanem

Somehow read that completely different the first time... I read them from time to time but some just seem to pass me by 3:-O

lunakat

That story has a real awkward vibe. Very appropriate for the awkward years.

Delhya

Random note Warfrost still cracks me up in that frame you posted @Tavie

Tavie

@delhya:

Random note Warfrost still cracks me up in that frame you posted @Tavie

One of my favorite pages!

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: (Sad that there's no Strongbow emoticon to put next to Bearclaw.)

It's the other way around; there's no Bearclaw emoticon to put next to Strongbow.

Rob

RedheadEmber said: there's no Bearclaw emoticon to put next to Strongbow.

Or inside.

Thornbrake

Hhahahaahaha @Rob.

Is that emoticon supposed to be Strongbow? It looks way more like Bearclaw to me.

lunakat

It could be either! It's their love child maybe

Thornbrake

lunakat said: It could be either! It's their love child maybe

HAHAHAAHA!

:) :D :x >:> :-\"

Blue_Coyote

Oh and don't forget Dewshine+Tyleet, Dewshine gave her her soul-name and with her past trauma with Winnowill that is some true love right there.

wildfire

Dewshine and Tyleet do fall under the "pansexual elves" label as do most, if not all, others, but we've yet to see a female Recognition. We've seen Dart&Shushen, Cutter&Skywise and probably a couple more male/male soulbondings that I've forgotten about.

Aside from that, I'd really like to see a girl/girl couple where they *choose* each other like Nightfall&Redlance and Scouter&Dewshine and (this might just be the way I read it though) Dart&Kimo did.

RedheadEmber

I never got the impression that Dart and Shushen were "Recognized" (the same way Cutter and Skywise are) I just thought the voluntarily exchanged soulnames. Or... that Dart gave his soulname to Shushen.

Couldn't you say that Dewshine and Tyleet choose each other? Sure, it only happened because Tyleet recognized Scouter, who was already lifemated with Dewshine, but Dewshine could just as easily have chosen to leave Scouter after that, or Tyleet could have chosen not to stay with Scouter once they'd answered Recognition.

Tam

I agree with @wildfire; yeah, Dewshine and Tyleet technically chose each other, but I don't think they would have if it wasn't for Scouter. I want to see a same-sex female pairing/threemating that happens on its own first, and with characters more visible than Vurdah, Ruffel, and Maleen (who we only see with Skywise).

Leanan

Tam said: I agree with @wildfire; yeah, Dewshine and Tyleet technically chose each other, but I don't think they would have if it wasn't for Scouter. I want to see a same-sex female pairing/threemating that happens on its own first, and with characters more visible than Vurdah, Ruffel, and Maleen (who we only see with Skywise).

I'd very much love to see that also.

RedheadEmber

Yeah. Of course. Technically all couples chose each other because all couples could decide to do what Dewshine and Tyldak did, and part ways after Recognition had been answered.

wildfire

RedheadEmber said: I never got the impression that Dart and Shushen were "Recognized" (the same way Cutter and Skywise are) I just thought the voluntarily exchanged soulnames. Or... that Dart gave his soulname to Shushen.

During the battle for Sorrow's End Dart calls Shushen "little soul-brother" though. To me that always indicated that they were the same as Cutter and Skywise.

(Ps it took me waaaaay too long to figure out how quoting worked now lmao)

Tam

wildfire said: (Ps it took me waaaaay too long to figure out how quoting worked now lmao)

I know, right? Now, I try to do it on other forums and I'm like WHY CAN'T I HIGHLIGHT TO QUOTE??

Blue_Coyote

Tam said: I want to see a same-sex female pairing/threemating that happens on its own first, and with characters more visible than Vurdah, Ruffel, and Maleen (who we only see with Skywise).

Yeah me too, I'm a lesbian and I'd love to see more feisty women together other than the Sorrow's End trio- they are super fem and all seem rather baby-crazy to me (The Hearts Way). I suppose that has to do with their incredible life-spans combined with the rarity of conception, but just once I'd like to see a female character who has some other desire in life then just being a mother.

Davrille

just once I'd like to see a female character who has some other desire in life then just being a mother.

Or a female character primarly interested in other females doesn't suffer the Lesbian Kiss of Death,(e.g. Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

I had a hope that the same-sex couple would be Shenshen and Newstar, but no go. Oh, well.

Heather

Blue_Coyote said: I'd like to see a female character who has some other desire in life then just being a mother.

You've got Ember!

RedheadEmber

wildfire said: During the battle for Sorrow's End Dart calls Shushen "little soul-brother" though. To me that always indicated that they were the same as Cutter and Skywise.

But couldn't they have chosen it?
In fact I always got the impression that Cutter and Skywise chose the brother-in-all-but-blood thing, it was just the soulname exchange that wasn't quite voluntary.

wildfire

RedheadEmber said:
wildfire said: During the battle for Sorrow's End Dart calls Shushen "little soul-brother" though. To me that always indicated that they were the same as Cutter and Skywise.

But couldn't they have chosen it?
In fact I always got the impression that Cutter and Skywise chose the brother-in-all-but-blood thing, it was just the soulname exchange that wasn't quite voluntary.

Hmm, the "soul-brother" titutlation has only been used in these two cases as far as I remember and to me that always meant that, as you say, the soulname exchange wasn't voluntary.
I think Skywise and Cutter (and by proxy, Dart and Shushen) are that close BECAUSE they're soulbrothers, even before they Recognized. So the matter of choice is a bit blurred 'cause their personalities and the way they grew up meant that they couldn't really have chosen otherwise.

We really don't have enough to go by to determine the exact rules IMHO, it all depends on how you read it I guess.

That being said, I would love to see the same scenario with two female elves. Close friends/lovers who are so intertwined at the most basic level that they essentially Recognize.

Leanan

Blue_Coyote said: but just once I'd like to see a female character who has some other desire in life then just being a mother.

Um... Leetah wasn't all that happy about Recognition... Dewshine said she preferred love by itself... Winnowill had many (dark) desires... Kahvi was full of purpose to make things better for her people... Yun and Freetouch and Foxfur a bunch of others just want to have some fun... Krim is a true warrior, and Krill a dedicated hunter... Skyfire wanted to keep her people safe...

I'd say ElfQuest is FULL of females who have a wide variety of desires and goals beside motherhood!

lunakat

Leanan said: I'd say ElfQuest is FULL of females who have a wide variety of desires and goals beside motherhood!

I agree. And beyond that- I think Elfquest has explored many, varied facets of relationships. It's got pretty much every kind of relationship you can think of.

wildfire

lunakat said:
Leanan said: I'd say ElfQuest is FULL of females who have a wide variety of desires and goals beside motherhood!

I agree. And beyond that- I think Elfquest has explored many, varied facets of relationships. It's got pretty much every kind of relationship you can think of.

I agree when it comes to female elves wanting more than motherhood, but I disagree with EQ having explored pretty much every kind of relationship, this thread testifies to that. Even in the triangle relationships like Leetah/Cutter/Skywise, Cutter/Nightfall/Redlance, and Scouter/Tyleet/Dewshine the main pairing or the trigger is almost always a Recognized pair.
Except for Krim/Skot/Pike, they always seemed to have found each other simultaneously.

Maybe for elves there's no real difference between the three parts once they've chosen to be lifemates, but for the reader there is definitely a difference IMHO. Scouter&Dewshine had the whole chosen-lifemates and chose to include Tyleet, and personally I kind of see Dart/Kimo+Shuna the same way, in a more platonic way.

RedheadEmber

Yeah. I'd say the only character's whose sole definition is being a mother is Rainsong. And she's not much of a main character.

WhiteMist

You never knows what will happen to Chitter/Freetouch or Korafay.
(Although Chitter talks to her mother about her interest in the boys on the other holt) :\">

Imagine a Korafay/Arroree lovematch!
Or a Venka/Yun alliance.

Tavie

I think Korafay + some eligible female Wavedancer would be natural. Don't know the Wavedancers well enough to guess who it might be, though. Maybe that youngest female, Moonmirror (I think)?

lunakat

wildfire said: I agree when it comes to female elves wanting more than motherhood, but I disagree with EQ having explored pretty much every kind of relationship, this thread testifies to that.

I didn't mean that it had explored every configuration of people and genders in a relationship- but it has explored many of the varied kinds of relationships that individuals can have. Remove gender from the equation for a moment and think about it.

RedheadEmber

Tavie said: . Maybe that youngest female, Moonmirror (I think)?

Or... Skimback and Sandsparkle could Recognize again and have a daughter.

NoodlesKraft

lotsa possibilities

lunakat

Davrille said: Or a female character primarly interested in other females doesn't suffer the Lesbian Kiss of Death,(e.g. Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Yeah! What was up with that? Do movies still do that sort of thing? I think it was a really big 90s phenomenon. Two girls hooked up in a film, and despite being heavenly creatures, they were bound to end up lost and delirious... if not monsters! Even if they were to make it up on Mulholland Drive, when night is falling, pondering the idea that boys don't cry- they ended up clearly hysterical and unable to control their sex drives.... or, oh sister, my sister, their lust for blood!

I think it was a variation on "the Yellow Wallpaper" actually- the idea that women tend toward hysteria. I guess filmmakers figured that if you put two women together, the insanity that strikes once a month would be amplified.

Maybe all the death visited on lesbians in films in the 90s was just a metaphor for having your monthly. That's right, Tara- you should have used a tampon!

NoodlesKraft said: I'd love it if yun "recognized" a girl

She has been repositioned for something! But what....

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: She has been repositioned for something! But what....

Wanting to catch up with daddy! :>
Not everything needs to lead to a new relationship, but I'd like to see her hit it off with some random Sunvillager maiden.

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: Wanting to catch up with daddy! :>

That's the premise for her choosing to relocate. But is that why she was placed there by Wendy? Or will she have some role to play in future events that requires her to be with the palace group?

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: Not everything needs to lead to a new relationship, but I'd like to see her hit it off with some random Sunvillager maiden.

I bet Go Back females got it on all the time.

travelbug

Maybe Yun have some sort of magic power that will be good for the group in the time to come?

You know, Maleen may be lonely without Ruffel ;) I think Yun and Maleen would look good together.
As Vurda haven't shown up since the hearts way, I think she may have chosen to stop being lovemates. ( I cant remember seeing her anywhere)
Vurda wasn't in the group celebrating with Skywise when Chitter was born. It was Skywise, Ruffel,Maleen, Shenshen and Newstar at that point.

Maybe a bit weird to become lovemate with your fathers old lovemate, but I dont really think the elves will mind :)

Startear

lunakat said: That said, Wendy did mention that the Final Quest would feature a same-sex pairing. Maybe we will run into a couple of female elves who, like Skywise, "prefer what maidens have"

That's basically all I want for Christmas.

travelbug said: I think Yun and Maleen would look good together.

Actually... yeah, I can see this. But only if Maleen gets to be more active too, that she just doesn't become JUST Yun's lovemate. I want them both to be awesome but not being totally dependent on each other la Strongbow and Moonshade.

Trollbabe

I missed this thread earlier. Lunakat is right, in that the Elves are omnisexual. Also, sexual activity among Elves can be very casual, without emotional consequences.

WildBlossom

Tam said: I want to see a same-sex female pairing/threemating that happens on its own first, and with characters more visible than Vurdah, Ruffel, and Maleen (who we only see with Skywise).

It's been mentioned before, but I'll repeat it... We'll probably see this with Aroree and Venka...don't know about it becoming a threemating with recognition though...

Tam

WildBlossom said: It's been mentioned before, but I'll repeat it... We'll probably see this with Aroree and Venka...don't know about it becoming a threemating with recognition though...

I don't care how it happens, just that it does...what I meant by including the idea of a threemating is that I don't want it to be like Scouter/Dewshine/Tyleet, who wouldn't be together if Tyleet hadn't Recognized Scouter. Pike/Skot/Krim seemed to come together organically, but I feel like we didn't get enough of them.

Venka/Aroree seems a bit odd to me, but it is certainly a popular theory. But I think I prefer Yun/Maleen, if, as @Startear said, Maleen gets upgraded from background character.

Startear said: That's basically all I want for Christmas.

Pretty much.

lunakat

maybe it will be a couple of new characters

travelbug

Some new characters would be great :)

Trollbabe

Given a choice, I would like to see new characters too.

As far as new relationships between characters, should we limit our speculation to Elves? the Trolls seem to be in limbo, and there are new humans of both sexes in Ember's tribe.

BTW I wonder what they will name the new Holt? It reminds me of Angkor Wat without the diols.

RedheadEmber

Trollbabe said: the Trolls seem to be in limbo

Lesbian trolls? Maybe a bit of romance for Trinket! =P~

lunakat

$-)

Mkal

lunakat said: I bet Go Back females got it on all the time.

I have to agree.

Mkal

I am wondering if there is anything going on between Venka and Aroree...

lunakat

I hope so. Granted though, they have had a whole troop of Go Backs to play with. It could go either way.