ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

What do you do with your Elfquest collection?

Johnno

Since I'm new to Elfquest and comics in general, I'm curious about what other people do with their comics and books. I want to protect my new collection but also want it easily available for reading and reference. Do you bag & board the comics and store them in a box in the closet? Loosely stacked on a bookshelf with a rock holding them down? Slipped into clear sleeves and held in a 3-ring binder? It seems like the options are endless.

So, what do you do?

Embala

I have magazine files for them.
The single issues are bagged and boarded in the magazine files.

travelbug

Some of mine are bagged and boarded, but not all. I keep them in magazine boxes at the bookshelf with the graphic novels, out of reach to my kids (who both love elfquest as well at 2 and 4 years old)

Tam

The vast majority of my collection is graphic novels, which I keep on a shelf. That shelf is solely for Elfquest items, and it's easily filled, so everything is kept relatively neat and flat. It's also in a cat-free zone, and I don't have kids, so that helps.

WildBlossom

My individual issues are bagged and boarded in long boxes. I like the graphic novels much better so I try to collect those to keep on my bookshelves.

Eyeshigh

I have put them in a large, airtight container, but the small comics are all in plastic bags too! Especially the ones i am reading at that moment!
I have 3 young kids and don't want them to bend, tear them so i keep my collection away from them, ;) and not on a bookself :)

Sifra

I have them in the bookcase with the other -mostly european comic strips- I own. The ones that came in plastic bags are still in plastic bags. They are currently on the top shelf, just out of reach, but in a few years my oldest daughter will be old enough to read them and then they'll move downwards. :D Can't wait to hear what she'll think of it!

MultiFacets

My comics are bagged and upright on my bookshelf, and my "Blood of Ten Chiefs" novels are with them, bound up with clear tape due to how much I've read 'em.

Johnno

After a couple of false starts, I've gone with bagging and boarding my individual comics and keeping them in magazine files. I got a good deal on 100 "current size" bags and boards at my local comic shop and I like how the comics fit in nice and tight without sliding around like they did in "silver age" bags.

The graphic novels are standing up between the magazine files. The novels are stacked on a bookshelf in my media room for now so that I can access them easier. I don't have any pets or kids to accidentally damage them, so that isn't a worry. I like having them available but protected.

Zinegirl

I have 3 graphic novels of ElfQuest in Dutch and they're on my bookshelf.

RichardPini

If I let them, they will take over the office...

EQ bookshelves sm

travelbug

Very nice collection, Elfpop :)
Is that the norwegian manga editions at the top to the right?

Eyeshigh

Impressive! But then again, lol, would be strange if you got nothing, :P

You have issues published in the Netherlands too?

MyrLuni

My individual comic issues are in archival plastic sleeves, individual to each sleeve. These are stored in a 'D' ring binder, approximately 5" wide. There are currently four of them. These and the Graphic Novels are stored away in my "work room", away from careless persons.

Johnno

Oooh! Shelves and shelves of elves! ^:)^

RichardPini

travelbug said: Is that the norwegian manga editions at the top to the right?

Probably. The right-hand bookcase is mostly for foreign language EQ editions, and there's a total mix of editions.

Shadowfire

RichardPini said: If I let them, they will take over the office...

hehehe, it's taken over most of my living room! and it's constantly changing and getting re-arranged... i went to post pics and realized that i need to take some new ones! for now, here's one of my EQ poster-wall in our family living room, which is the only piece of my collection which has stayed the same, hehehe...

IMG_1851

Embala

:-bd

MrsGrizzley

Now I'm feeling like a total heel of a fan because I don't have NEARLY that cool a space for my stuff.

lunakat

Lately, I've been giving away my graphic novels to my cousins, who are about eleven years old. They are in love.

Sifra

I don't know if this is the right thread to drop this in...
But anyway...

Today my oldest daughter saw me drooling over the new Final Quest issue (Dart and Mender! :D) and asked me about it. So I told her about the characters.
After that I gave her the first Elfquest issue. We read the first issue together and now she's reading the second issue by herself. Her first Elfquest expierence. :D I hope she'll become a fan and we can talk about it together!
So far she likes Amber and Nightfall, so it seems she's into tough girls. :)

G0lden

A few of my issues are boarded and bagged in a container. The biggest majority are stored flat in a locked sterlite container. They were moved with no damaged done to the comics. This includes the graphic novels as well as the prose novels. We really need more of those btw.

Embala

That's wonderful, Sifra! !Dewshine I hope your girl will get hooked and love it as much as you do.
Imagine to rediscover EQ with the eyes of a cubling again ... *dreams*

Sifra

At the moment she's pretty hooked. :)

Johnno

Sifra said: I don't know if this is the right thread to drop this in...
But anyway...

Seems to fit right in. Congrats on finding another EQ fan right in your own home.

@G0lden - I've finally surrendered an entire book case to my collection. In fact, it appears I am going to have to move my CD player off the top to make room for the Grand Quest series of graphic novels!

Thornbrake

Johnno said: I've finally surrendered an entire book case to my collection. In fact, it appears I am going to have to move my CD player off the top to make room for the Grand Quest series of graphic novels!

I've loved watching you go from a newbie to a die hard fan, @Johnno!

Johnno

eq case

@Thornbrake - The collection just keeps growing. It's taken on a life of its own!
Gotta love eBay!

Embala

Great collection, Johnno!

GreyGirl

My original Quest large books (now rather ancient) are on my graphic novel shelf, along with the various other full size books and a couple of the little magazines which contain favourite stories. I'm afraid the rest of the magazines (such as Forevergreen and other stories which I did not much enjoy) are in a box in the loft... sorry! To my annoyance though I appear to have lost the entire first set of Jink, which miffs me off no end as I really liked that and used to re-read it quite a bit. Hopefully it will turn up again one day.

Johnno

Thanks, @Embala! I actually cleared off the top of the bookcase so that I can add my prose novels into the collection.
I am having almost as much fun collecting the various comics as I am reading them! Working my way through EQ2 at the moment... around issue #5, I think. When I finish them, I'll start the new Final Quest series at last!

@GreyGirl - You know how Jink is... she'll turn up when you least expect her!

Knightbird

At this moment...ElfQuest is all over my house. I have been reboarding and rebagging each of the comics and getting them back into the She-Den. The books are in the bedroom (maybe, Okay...most of of them), but they are next on my list of seeing what needs to be replaced or not. I had a flood in my bedroom thanks to the kitchen drain on the sink. Some of the Reader's Collection were on the floor and they got wet (not happy). Bad picture of JUST the books.

book collection

Thornbrake

Johnno said: When I finish them, I'll start the new Final Quest series at last!

Woohooo!

Johnno said: The collection just keeps growing. It's taken on a life of its own!
Gotta love eBay!

What is that big red-brown bound book on the top shelf of your collection? Is that a binder?

G0lden

Johnno said: @G0lden - I've finally surrendered an entire book case to my collection. In fact, it appears I am going to have to move my CD player off the top to make room for the Grand Quest series of graphic novels!

I have to organize my bookcase for the EQ sets. Right now Tolkien and a few other books take up the shelf space. Plus a few other things.

Johnno

@Knightbird - Sorry about the flood. =((
Wow... Nice book collection!

@Thornbrake - The big red one is just a fancy magazine holder that I got when I thought I'd only need one for holding the Original Quest magazine-sized comics. HA! Joke's on me! Good thing I had a lot of those blue ones around. I must have hit a sale! Never dreamed I'd use them all! Of course, I never dreamed I'd need more than one shelf, either.

Knightbird

@Johnno - I have more in the She-Den. Maybe when I get all the comics taken care of and start on the books, I'll take a better pic. Even if they are damaged, I'm keeping them (that is until I can find a replacement).

MrsGrizzley

If y'all could hear a loud Squee coming from the direction of East Texas today, that was me. My copy of The Original Quest came in. The one that's the whole 20 issues in ONE AWESOME BOOK! Yes, I took it out of the bag. I couldn't help myself. It's so PWETTY!!! And I must READS IT!!!

I have Volume Two on pre-order, who knows when it'll get here. Still beside myself over Volume One, though.

Redmane

I personally keep my collection on one of my shelves [the one that houses, among other things, my American and Chinese comics, a copy of the Tale of Genji, and Bram Stoker's Dracula]. Since they're primarily bagged or hardcover color editions [which I will eternally be thankful to my parents for taking the time to find as I went through college] with a copy of the EQ Gatherum and a random graphic novel copy from Seige of Blue Mountain, I'm pretty sure it's all good.

Also... *Bows to Elfpop's collection and somehow Kowtow-moonwalks away, clearly unworthy* Your EQ-ness was never in doubt but the size of that collection is the kind that is worthy of Elfmom and Elfpop.

Johnno

Thanks, @Redmane. I'm having a blast building my collection. And getting to know other EQ fans is an extra I hadn't counted on but really enjoy. I wonder where the next big gathering will be. It would be fun to meet the people from the forums, don't you think?

jaRf

Since I have variable stuff from ElfQuest, comics (in 2 different languages and many formats), RPG, boardgame, statues and stuff it is not really ordered in one place. A good part is in a bookshelf, collecting dust. But only the upper ones (multiple stacks) because I put them in batches. Standing upright makes me think they will receive bendings and so on since they are not self-supported enough and I don't have enough bookends to stabilize them. (The only things that I do have upright standing with are (non-EQ) solid books and my novels of the same size because they fill a bookshelf nicely from one end to the other so they keep themselves.)

Some items I actually place in these bags that came from TFAW. The figures are placed as I had put in some other thread, though they are collecting dust over the years. Maybe showering would help. I also completed the action figure set, well, as far as that was possible with just the first run released. But I have Tyldak and Picknose now also. Ha!
On the paper backsides of these action figures the second run was already announced. :'(
By the way, I noticed that the blister packaging of them was actually better than most blisters, means, you could open them without ripping yourself wounds. Just remove the bit of sticky tape, then the mentioned cardboard back and take out the plastic layers without any pain from the main frame.

I always wanted to order my collection a bit more but never really found the time. Well, and then there is 200+ RPG items (mainly books and booklets), computer games, music CDs, movie DVDs/BRs, computer parts and electronic scraps and whatsnot that also needs to receive some care. And my work stuff. Tremendous lots of papers and a bunch of books. I definitely lack time and sometimes the energy to care for all of it. But this time will come.

elf_queen_vik

Put it up on a shrine place offerings to appease the elfquest gods... :\"> ...I mean i keep them on a bookshelf sleeved and some are boarded (mostly the old wavdancers and my fav issues, I dont have enough boards for them all.

marinayurk

I have a small collection . And that homemade . The first book (it is the only one ) is hidden away from prying eyes on the top of the bookshelf. Mug at work to home is not broken it . Scarf , bag in hand , the picture on the wall in the hall.image
image (3)
image (2)
image (1)

Johnno

Wow! You made all this? Great stuff! :>

marinayurk

Yes. :) Only I ordered a mug in a photo-studio.

Embala

Still love it, Marina! !Scouter Glad to see your needle work posted on the Scroll again.

marinayurk

Thanks, Embala. I think that it (my collection) will be replenished soon.

jaRf

That is one nice bag. I bet his eyes glow in the dark or reflect light.

marinayurk

On a bag: silver threads on a dark-blue matter.