ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest: The Final Quest 8

Stefan

And the latest cover...Oeh, Rayek!

EQFQ-8-FC-FNL-4x6-cccef
There is one question Wolfrider chief Cutter can no longer avoid: If the elves must choose between the star-traveling Palace, and “the Way” that binds all to the World of Two Moons, who will stay, and who will go? The irresistible call goes out! How will those long absent—Rayek, Winnowill, Two-Edge, and more—react?
• Brand-new ElfQuest adventures!
“One of the most beautifully crafted, well thought out comic book fantasy epics of all time.”—Comic Book Resources

Embala

I'm in awe.

... and I love to see Reef presumably getting a bigger role ... and with Korafay ...
Rayek looks ragged and aged - holding Winnowill captive takes its toll.

Thanks for being the messenger again, Stefan.

RedheadEmber

Uuuuh! Exciting!

WhiteMist

Rayek! :| Really really really really really really really really really can't wait!

RedheadEmber

Kinda random but it looks like Korafay is taking the see through clothing thing to its logical extremes. Gotta love how it looks like she's wearing sea-foam.

Heather

The wolf in the background, is that Timmain? Does she decide to become wolf again? Is she having a flashback from when she was a wolf? Rayek looks like he is still wrestling with WInnowill's soul, perhaps hearing the call of the Palace being sent out by Sunstream and Timmain and too much to handle? And Korafey and Reef together, perhaps they are lovemates? It could also be nothing. Lots of speculation from this cover and we will have to be patient until March! But now I am even more excited.

travelbug

!Dewshine I'm looking very much forward to read this :)
I'm happy to see Rayek and Eukar again :D

Maybe the wolf represents the way? I agree it looks very much like Timmain as a wolf

Heather

travelbug said: Maybe the wolf represents the way? I agree it looks very much like Timmain as a wolf

That's an interesting thought as well. I hadn't though of that. I'm getting all tingly thinking about all the possibilities.

travelbug

I cant imagine Timmain turning into a wolf again, unless it is to protect her children who will stay in the world of two moons. I thought for sure she would be the one leading the elves back to the homestar.
She and Sunstream looks surprized, but not in a good way. Makes me wonder who surface after the call. Some elf nobody thought they would see again?

Winnowill's spirit may reach a new level of being difficult from the call?

RedheadEmber

The wolf does indeed look like Timmain. >-)

Everyone looks scared/worried on the cover, except for Korafay.

Weaver

I love Timmain but the concealing hair strands look so off. Are they held there with wrap-stuff?

Really looking forward to Venka and Rayek's reunion and lots more Korafay.

Arthis

This cover is stunning! My favorite so far. !Dewshine
I'm so happy to see Reef!

RedheadEmber

Weaver said: I love Timmain but the concealing hair strands look so off. Are they held there with wrap-stuff?

I wouldn't be too surprised if they were! :bz

Knightbird

Throwing this out there....Could the wolf symbolic of Cutter??? Back when Leetah first met him she had a dream of him as a white wolf. Love the old look back on Rayek. The long flowing black hair was to much of Winnie. >:)

RedheadEmber

Didn't the long flowing back hair happen in Rogue's Curse? If I'm not much mistaken it's supposed to take place later, some 400-500 years after Reappearance.
Winnie's got plenty of time to turn Rayek into her own private version of "daddie*". :!!

*Dunno whether Haken really is supposed to be Winnie's dad.

Niphredil

To me it seems Timmain and Sunstream are looking at something "far away", as their pupils are the same colour as their eyes. Other than Rayek and Ekuar, whose pupils are black - they seem to look at something their physical eyes see.

manga

1) HUZZAH! Rayek!

2) Is he THAT emotionally invested in The Buckle that he's made a replacement from rags?

3) Knightbird said: "The long flowing black hair was to much of Winnie." Rayek's had long, flowing black hair since, well, always, actually. It just got a little longer in the 7 years between "Fire and Flight" and the first Palace War. It's funny that you make the connection between Rayek's hair and Winnowill, just like Suntop and Ember back in the Go-Back Lodge. However, I just don't get it. Lots of people - including many of the Sunfolk - have long, black hair. It doesn't mean anything!

Weaver

You must not have read Rogue's Curse manga or you would get what Knightbird is talking about. I won't spoil it but you should check it out...at least the first tale illustrated by Wendy.

RedheadEmber

manga said: 2) Is he THAT emotionally invested in The Buckle that he's made a replacement from rags?

Didn't notice that bit! \m/ (and of course these icons have another head-band... :| )

manga

Weaver, I have read "Rogue's Curse" and I repeat, Rayek has always had long, flowing hair. It got longer when [redacted] but its essential nature was not changed.

Zinegirl

Looks like everyone gets a place on the covers :P The covers keep getting better!

lunakat

What most impresses me about this cover is the way it gives away absolutely nothing about the plot! Kudos Pinis!

Regarding Rayek:

manga said: Is he THAT emotionally invested in The Buckle that he's made a replacement from rags?

Yes.

The way his expression reads to me is: "Doh. That would have been a much better approach."

Elwing

Good to see \m/ and O:-) . I quite liked the wild hair in Rogue's curse as metaphor for inner turmoil. Maybe the return of the Buckle means that things are a bit more under control now. We'll have to wait and see...

travelbug

But is it a return of the buckle when the final quest is hundreds of years before Rouge's Curse?
I mean Rayek still has plenty of years to wear it out

Zeina

I really would love to find out more about Rayek and his inner turmoil. The storyline has felt sort of been left hanging for some time now and it feels like it really needs some solid resolve.

manga

Travelbug, The Buckle is from "Kings of The Broken Wheel." It's part of the outfit he was given when he brought the Palace to Sorrow's End. He wore it through the events of "Shards" too. And is wearing a stitched version of it 40-odd years on. (I'm not sure how long it's actually been. I heard 40 somewhere.)

Zeina: You and me both!

travelbug

Manga, yes thats what I meant. He still has it, because it has not been so long that its all worn out yet.
The storyline of rouges curse, where he dont have it anymore, is still some hundreds of years to come

Llannen

My heart hurts a little for Rayek. He really came full circle and embodies the growth someone can accomplish. And to be in love with Winnowill whose idea of growth is more perversion and how she taunts him for it. It was one heartbreaking thing to watch him walk away from the castle to not live near it but to have it leave and him stay behind. Gentle Ekuar, such a stalwart supporter of Rayek, but there is a part of me that hopes he could have peace and go with the castle.

manga

Look at the image again, Travelbug. There is stitching all around it. It's not the same band he had at the end of "Shards."

travelbug

When I compare this cover with Rayek in Kings, I think it looks like the same headband, but on the cover its old, worn and stitched to keep it together.

The "buckle" in Kings look more like a stiff fabric material, than metal to me

lunakat

manga said: Look at the image again, Travelbug. There is stitching all around it. It's not the same band he had at the end of "Shards."

Yes! Hence:

manga said: 2) Is he THAT emotionally invested in The Buckle that he's made a replacement from rags?

Yes!

Llannen said: My heart hurts a little for Rayek. He really came full circle and embodies the growth someone can accomplish.

I agree. It would be nice to see Rayek gain some peace and resolution. But Wendy has said, in the past, that this is his fate.

Llannen said: And to be in love with Winnowill whose idea of growth is more perversion and how she taunts him for it. It was one heartbreaking thing to watch him walk away from the castle to not live near it but to have it leave and him stay behind.

Something made me think of Rayek recently. Something someone said about another character- it might have been Winnowil. Maybe it was the observation that her idea of love was to imprison and control and to try to shape others. And that it always backfired. And I realized that she is now a recipient of that- from Rayek.

Rayek sort of has this thing... he falls for powerful women and then tries to force them to be what he wants them to be and love him in return. This is just the ultimate variation on that scenario.

Weaver

Cloth, not a buckle.

Kings of the Broken Wheel #9 • Page 15.jpg-1

manga

Eh, doesn't prove anything to me, Weaver. It still looks like a buckle in the original image. *shrug*

sulken

"those long absent" include Two-Edge? Shouldn't he be with Venka? And doesn't Venka and Aroree not show up next issue?
Shame on you, Venka! (There is no resason to let him wander off alone).

And yeah, strategic hair is strategic...

Weaver

Eh, doesn't prove anything to me, Weaver. It still looks like a buckle in the original image. *shrug*

I just couldn't imaging flying about, swimming in the vast-deep, and fighting a war (not to mention Cutter) with a big ole buckle on my forehead, @manga.

As much torture Rayek is forced to endure at the hands of our authors, they're not sadistic. \m/

RedheadEmber

Why would the buckle be a liability? It wouldn't be any different than someone wearing a buckle in their belt or something.
I think the metal in the buckle is made of the soft metal they have in Sorrow's End.

Weaver

With a piece of cloth on the forehead you soften the blow to the forehead

Strap a big piece of gold to your forehead and you'd be in a world of hurt...just ask Skywise. But I digress.

Is Korafay's gesture saying "Hold the palace, we're coming aboard," or "have fun in space, Dad!"?

RedheadEmber

Weaver said: Strap a big piece of gold to your forehead and you'd be in a world of hurt...just ask Skywise.

I'm pretty sure Skywise's head thingy serves a protective function.

manga

Weaver said: I just couldn't imaging flying about, swimming in the vast-deep, and fighting a war (not to mention Cutter) with a big ole buckle on my forehead, @manga.

Why is that any worse that the big ol' buckle he had around his chest as part of that same outfit?

travelbug

If you compare all the "buckles" to his armrings, you see the difference. They are not drawn with a metallic shine. They are of some kind of stiff cloth, made for decoration.

Knightbird

RedheadEmber said: I'm pretty sure Skywise's head thingy serves a protective function.

It's a frame...to frame his pretty face. There is a whole story about that...it started out as a sling shot.

Weaver

Why is that any worse that the big ol' buckle he had around his chest as part of that same outfit?

Also not a buckle.

manga

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I maintain that they are metal buckles; they have always looked that way to me and when I checked "Kings" just now, they still looked like metal.

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: I'm pretty sure Skywise's head thingy serves a protective function.

i think he also used it to replace his headband and keep his hair out of his face- cus he's fly like that.

manga said: I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I maintain that they are metal buckles; they have always looked that way to me and when I checked "Kings" just now, they still looked like metal.

I agree. The Sunfolk did make jewelry and buckles and things out of gold.

Unless... unless it IS a stiff, leather buckle (dyed yellow with Zwoot pee)... and the stitched, cloth one we see is the same buckle and headband gone ragged with age. Hmm? Possible!

Zeina

Maybe he just gets occasional zits on his forehead and this is his way of covering them up. He's always been a bit of a vain thing.

lunakat

true that.

RedheadEmber

:|

captainvimes

Rayek!!!!!! Hell yeah!!!!! That's all, carry on :)
(Awesome cover)

Mkal

Actually, In Journey to Sorrow's End, it was told that Skywise's head plate was used to keep his unruly hair out of his eyes...

Thornbrake

Weaver said: Cloth, not a buckle

The Kings-era headband doesn't have the angled lines that Wendy always draws in metal objects indicating metal-shine, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that all of Rayek's "buckles" are cloth or leather and that his Final Quest era headband is the same one, just a bit worse for wear.

Llannen

lunakat said: Maybe it was the observation that her idea of love was to imprison and control and to try to shape others. And that it always backfired. And I realized that she is now a recipient of that- from Rayek.

Rayek sort of has this thing... he falls for powerful women and then tries to force them to be what he wants them to be and love him in return. This is just the ultimate variation on that scenario.

Excellent description. Toxic relationship for sure....and yet so perfect.

Davrille

I hope Timmain has a cushion. Sitting on stone is cold!

RedheadEmber

It's not stone. It's palace-stuff! Magic. Pretty sure they can heat it up.

lunakat

Llannen said: Excellent description. Toxic relationship for sure....and yet so perfect.

Thanks! You know... I always felt that if Rayek had been a little more flexible with Kahvi, he could have had her- or been with her long term. But he didn't really want her. She was attractive, as long as his only other options were GoBacks- because she was the most powerful one. But as soon as Leetah and her magic showed up, Kahvi paled (quite literally) by comparison. Neither one of them knew how to appreciate each other's natures- and neither one knew how to bend.

Still- they must have some strong emotion for each other, considering how angry they both ended up, and how much they fought. You don't do that if you don't care.

RedheadEmber said: It's not stone. It's palace-stuff! Magic. Pretty sure they can heat it up.

Skywise says that Timmain heats it up with her etherial hotness!

The Palace maintains a comfortable temperature, no matter what the weather is like outside, right? That's why the elves sent Shuna there in the winter...

RichardPini

So, because I love to live dangerously - defined here as calling up Wendy when I know she's prepping for a majorly important interview - I asked her about this.

Me: "Those big yellow square things on Rayek's headband and around his chest and waist, when he got new duds back in 'Kings"... are they metal? Gold, perhaps?"

Her: "No. It'd get in the way, feel heavy. That ornamentation would be flexible, like heavy woven cloth. Or better yet, leather. Maybe painted with something that had gold dust mixed in. They'd be all raggedy by now."

Which is why he looks as he does on the upcoming cover. (Which also, just now, suggests to me that his sense of humor much have improved greatly during his absence. Why? So he can keep himself in stitches.)

Elwing

LOL. This thread is a treat =))

manga

Well, I suppose it's good to know he's just repairing something he already had rather than re-creating an outfit I always thought was horrid. Wendy does gorgeous fashions - I'm blaming Ahnsen or Rayek's bad taste for this one.

Delhya

RichardPini said: Why? So he can keep himself in stitches.

Ahhhhh, Excellent, just excellent! =))

lunakat

RichardPini said: Her: "No. It'd get in the way, feel heavy. That ornamentation would be flexible, like heavy woven cloth. Or better yet, leather. Maybe painted with something that had gold dust mixed in. They'd be all raggedy by now."

In India, the color yellow is often made from camel pee. All the Sunfolk had were Zwoots. Still, I think it's hilarious to think of Rayek walking around with a yellow square on his forehead.

So it IS the same headband!

manga said: I'm blaming Ahnsen or Rayek's bad taste for this one.

I blame Wendy. I think she deliberately made him look ostentatious to match his attitude. He was as puffed up, in that story arc, as his sleeves.

RichardPini said: Which is why he looks as he does on the upcoming cover. (Which also, just now, suggests to me that his sense of humor much have improved greatly during his absence. Why? So he can keep himself in stitches.)

Ba dum dum. :|

manga

I blame Wendy. I think she deliberately made him look ostentatious to match his attitude. He was as puffed up, in that story arc, as his sleeves.

There's ostentatious and then there's hideous. Though the two can definitely overlap, Rayek's Buckle Outfit is hideous, IMO.

Watch for Elves making bad sartorial choices; they'll be Up To No Good soon! ;)

finnan

Actually, Indian Yellow was made of the pee of cows that had fed on mango leaves... but the leaves are a bit toxic and made the cows sick. As we all know, cows are sacred in India, so 'natural' Indian Yellow doesn't exist any more, it's made synthetically these days.

... so the question is, does Sorrow's End have mango trees, and do they have large buckets around (I mean, zwoots have got to have bladders the size of the Titanic!)?

RedheadEmber

Welcome to the Elfquest Forum, where we in a thread dedicated to a upcoming issue may discuss matters such as zwoot pee. 3:-O

lunakat

Probably any paint you can buy in a store isn't. I just heard that from some guy I met in India (i hung out there for a few months once) whose family did miniature painting for a living. He said it was the cheapest color because it was made from camel urine. He said other colors (blue I think) were expensive because they were made from crushed (precious) stones. He said his family used to make their own paints. Painting miniature paintings was what they had supposedly been doing for generations. He said the paintings were considered, not just works of art, but almost like jewels because of the materials that went into the paint.

Maybe he was wrong. Maybe his family had no idea how to make paint. I don't know. He didn't actually say it was made from cow urine- he said it was from dried camel urine. But I've never really researched it.

I do have a yellow painting I did of a camel while I was there, though! We took a miniature painting class from him- and he told us this, then gave us the yellow paint. (If I remember correctly, I think it was a powder, and we had to mix water or some liquid with it.) He said to us "my family has been doing this for generations! You may find it difficult. That's okay." Then he looked at my painting and added "Or you may not." It actually did come out pretty nicely.

Zeina

That's a cool story, Lunakat! How exciting.

I thought something like turmeric was good for orange/yellow paint. I've painted with it before and it was kinda awesome.
Urine though....wow. Had no idea.
I'd imagine the blue stones were precious because maybe lapis was used? Have no idea.

lunakat

Maybe he just said that to make it sound more interesting. Maybe it was turmeric or something.

lunakat

Haha! That was just an afternoon. I do have some stories that are fairly exciting though!

Embala

You are right, Zeina. The original ultramarine pigment was made of pure lapislazili powder in Ancient Egypt. Malacite is a precious rare stone already and the making of clean powder was ver laborious thus was an extremely expensive color.

Other mineral colors come from malachite (green), azurite (blue) and cinnebar (red).

Many of these pigments were poisonous or mixed with poisonous substances to menhance the brightness. Dangerous conditions for the artists.

lunakat

Being an artist has often been dangerous in ways people wouldn't guess. I know some artists personally who have problems from having been exposed to chemicals in their paints, paint thinner or markers. It's stuff they just didn't used to realize would hurt you.

Zeina

I love lapis. Deep blue lapis without as much matrix is freakin' AMAZING and can be hard to find, but when you find it....ermergerd! Especially with a little pyrite mixed in.

finnan

That's why Mary is often depicted with a blue cloak/robe in religious paintings - not because that's what she would have worn (blue/purple would have been far too expensive for a normal person to wear then), but because it used the most expensive, precious pigment that the artist had - it was a sign of devotion that they'd use their most precious resource for this figure.
Most pigments these days are synthetic as it's much, much cheaper, the colours are more reliable and stronger, and are made so that they don't fade due to exposure to light (which is why you're not supposed to take photos with a flash in a gallery - eventually the pigments will react to all that light and fade).

(obviously) being the art and design nerd that I am, it's crossed my mind before where the elves get their dyes from... yes, I know my disbelief should be well and truly suspended at this point lol ; )

Elwing

well, I can go on about natural dyes for a long time, but I think we can safely assume that there was a lot of urine involved in getting just about any color =P~
This why the inhabitants of the textile producing city of Tilburg are still known as Kruikezeikers ("Jar Pissers"). Human urine used to be a valuable commodity!

WildBlossom

It's where we also got the term "piss poor" in the States. If nothing else you could have the family piss in the same pot and sell it....

Zeina

But then they wouldn't have a pot to piss in.....

lunakat

What a pisser that would be!

RedheadEmber

They'd sell the piss, not the pot. The buyers would have their own piss-container.

lunakat

There is a cool story about Tanner in the first BoTC short story collection, where he discovers that soaking animal skin in human piss produces supple leather. Eeew.

manga

Moonshade knows tanning. :)

Zeina

I love that story about Tanner. I remember it.

lunakat

manga said: Moonshade knows tanning.

"A reeking solution of... leg-lift water and brine."

I guess Tanner's knowledge was passed down. 'Leg-lift water'... huh.

RichardPini

WildBlossom said: It's where we also got the term "piss poor" in the States. If nothing else you could have the family piss in the same pot and sell it....

Allstate even offers insurance against running out. "Urine good hands with..."

lunakat

groan

WildBlossom

*face palm*

JoeChrisMorris

"Winnowill? I sure thought she was dead " (Fizban the Magnificent)

RedheadEmber

She is. Dead elf-spirits are just... rather hard to get rid of.

:!!

Sunshade

RAYEK at last. Cannot wait for him to be back. I used to dislike him intensely for his standard-form control/misogyny issues (as others here have pointed out), but the character has grown on me. Maybe because, yeah, he's acquired extra dimension over time, and maybe because, bottom line, he's the tragic hero who's own worse enemy is himself and boy does he suffer for it. This is not a character I ever wanted to feel empathy for, but now I do, and I SO want him to be happy even if the creators aren't going in that direction.

manga

*hands Sunshade a cookie. * Welcome to the Sharp-Dark High-Thing side. :). Pm me about why you think he was misogynist; I never saw it.

lunakat

"Any maiden here would say yes!" "Then why pursue me, my arrogant one?" "Because you are the only one worth having."

"He has thrilled in the use powers long forgotten my most of his people, and he has reveled in the village's dependence on him during times of poor harvest. But now, another hunter has come... and worst of all, this upstart has dared to recognize Leetah for his own. Leetah... the only maiden who understand the old powers as Rayek does.."

"You cannot defeat me! Leetah will be mine, once and for all!"

Don't ask her how she feels or what she wants or anything. She's clearly a possession and trophy prize to him. That's why he feels he can "win" her in a contest- even though she has recognized someone else, and everyone knows it.

And then there are his interactions with Kahvi when she was pregnant. He tries to control her because she is carrying his baby. You might argue that he has a point, but when Urda tells Kahvi that Rayek was "starting to like [her]," she points out that "when that one likes you, he lays claim." He also, incidentally, thought it was his right to kill her because she broke up with him and didn't appear to be upset out losing a child. Um... I have no words.

When Aroree tries to warn Rayek about Winnowil, he describes her as "Tsk, poor creature... I'd say she has need of me." He has never even met her. How can he say that? What is he basing that assumption on?

He then fully manipulates Aroree and is incredibly condescending to her. This, not so subtly, contrasts with an immediate cut to Skywise who, for all his womanizing, treated her a good deal of respect and kindness.

Then, landing in the Holt, he talks about how he's going to just show up and take Winnowil and her Gliders to the Palace? Again- he hasn't even asked them. He has no idea if he can defeat this person. Everyone is telling him he can't. It's pretty clear, when they meet, that she one-ups him.

And she does it by feeding into his obvious vanity. "I make no such judgments upon your strength, fear no loss of self in pleasing you." She knows that he needs to look down on his women. She even goes so far as to call him "Lord." How more obvious can it get?

And then, of course, there's the entire story arc of Kings. He gets revenge for being disappointed by women with a massive machismo display of ego in smashing up the entire GoBack lodge, not caring who he harms or what the ramifications are. He then, steals Leetah into the future, casually assuming that once Cutter is out of the picture she will fall into his arms. Of course he does- because what is she even now but a possession of whatever male has her, right? He also casually assumes that Winnowil will submit to his intentions.

lunakat

Rayek's big trauma in his life has been letting of his egotism and his prejudices. It's been very hard for him. But who knows... once he figures out how to make Winnowil love him by holding her captive, he may have a better understanding of women. Somehow I doubt it.

manga

All these are very poor attitudes, I agree Luna. But they're not misogyny - he treats everyone equally badly.

lunakat

Definition: "hatred, dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women."

I think he demonstrates all of that. He shows hatred, not just for Kahvi, but for all the "ready-mouthed females" of the Go Back tribe, whom he claims are all alike. Right? And I quote: "You ready mouthed females all take after your brute-brained chief." And he proves it by smacking them first and blasting them all later.

Prejudice against and hatred of women. Misogyny. The women he likes, he tries to own.

lunakat

Not that he doesn't have contempt for others as well...

lunakat

Sorry Manga- I know you love Rayek. He's a very compelling character, despite his flaws. And I will give you this... he seems to have grown out of it by the time period of Rogue's Curse. He's probably the character with the biggest arc in the entire story. He makes the most personal change of any.

manga

He had a thing against Go-Back females who are clearly very different from the Sun Village maidens. He was an ass about it. But I don't see that he was any more of an ass to the women BECAUSE they were women. He had an issue with Khavi because she's psycho, not because she's female.

May I remind you that Leetah stayed with him for over 600 years? She had issues with his need to own BUT SHE CAME BACK to him too. Unless you think she was sick enough herself to enjoy dating a misogynist, I think you're going to have let this one go. Rayek has his issues but misogyny is not one of them.

lunakat

Oh, he had contempt for the Sunvillage women. He thought they weren't worthy of him. Except Leetah- who he treated like a possession- or tried to.

RedheadEmber

He's just a... what's it called when you simply dislike everyone?
Well, everyone except a certain few. ;;) O:-) *-:) and I suppose when he was younger !Ahdri

lunakat said: Oh, he had contempt for the Sunvillage women. He thought they weren't worthy of him. Except Leetah- who he treated like a possession- or tried to.

Strange thing is; he might have thought Leetah was the only one worthy of him because she didn't let him treat her like a possession. Might also have been what drew him to Kahvi in the beginning; he liked feeling as if he had to contest with someone to win their love. Of course that makes Winnie the perfect match for him. :!!

sulken

so all the other Sunfolk-women are happy to become a possession, as long as it means becoming Rayek's possession? That would be really shallow...

I'd say Rayek rather goes -obviously- for the most powerful woman around. Ahdri, Savah's handmaiden (Savah herself was probably out of the picture), was maybe the most interesting woman before Leetah, the über-healer, appeared. The 'only thing' interesting about Kahvi was, that she is the Go Back chieftess. As soon as Leetah arrieved he started to loose interest.
And of course, no one can compete with Winnowill, the most powerful female magic-user of them all.

sulken

Since elves are omnisexual, maybe Rayek would be interested in "owning" a man, if there was a really powerful male magic user. Sunstream watch out :P

lunakat

He's either attracted to the challenge or wants a trophy - or both

lunakat

Savah said once that "Rayek must be best in all things, or he is nothing."

Does that also mean having and dominating the most powerful mate? Is his significant other also one of the things he has to be better than?

Sunshade

I'm with LUNAKAT, for sure (great rundown, btw). There are a few words or thoughts that come out of Rayek's mouth or brain that are shockingly about the "lesser worth" of women or their presumed controllability (I wish I kept track during my recent re-read). We'll have to agree to disagree, MANGA.

I'm ok loving problematic characters. I think sharp-dark highthing's failure there is part of what makes him multidimensional, and certainly moves the plot forward (that, and his general hubris, of course). The series wouldn't be as fulsome without characters that reflect our own human issues, and bigotry of all kinds is explored in it because it's so present in us all. Considering how feminist a work it is in many ways, how could there *not* be a portrayal of misogyny (particularly in early issues long before we get set down in "medieval" human society where it's brushed in a bit--which means: an elf)?

Thanks for the cookie! (nom nom)

In other news, I am now ALL OVER the idea of Rayek and Sunstream, SULKEN. :-j

Sunshade

(PS even after all this time, I write/think "Sunstream" only with difficulty. He'll always be Suntop to me. I may slip!)

NEXT PAGE