ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Step-by-Step: How I make a high-relief character plaque.

Tamarien ChangeStone

I will be posting a series of progression pictures here after the holidays.

For those new and just tuning in- I use a tutorial as a meager guideline from www.SugarCharmShop.com/elsa.

I took it a whole step further and turned it into a high-relief (vs low-relief) and upped the size. SugarCharm's pieces are thumbnail size. Mine are four inches high, and done in connectable layers. More like models.

Example:http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/art/Painted-CUTTER-Model-01-129432101

Dewshine; http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/art/Autumn-Dewshine-Tearsheet-495270392
Kahvi ; http://tah-marien.deviantart.com/art/Kahvi-TearSheet-483810246

Embala

Love your EQ reliefs, Tamarien! !Dewshine >:> Kooking forward to see a WIP - spep by step developing into a new treat.

Night_Tanem

This looks great and seems fun to do. Keep them coming.

manga

Wow. Those are wonderful! I look forward to seeing more. :)

Llannen

Thank you for sharing! Gorgeous work.

WildBlossom

Gorgeous!!

Tamarien ChangeStone

Finished and Gifted !

Secret Santa OC @rivertwine.com PC of Beth K. Used with permission from Club and character player. (Thank you guys !)

. .

Tamarien ChangeStone

All right guys I may need a little HELP here.

What is a URL number (does it have another name?) I cannot seem to get an image to come up in this thread of my art. It will give a destination but not the image ? What? How come ? What am I doing wrong ?

. .

Night_Tanem

an URL is a link to a website, no? Don't you need the image link instead?

Tamarien ChangeStone

WEeeeeell. It seems that there are many ID tags for an image that has bn posted. Three @DA - three different @elfquestfanart.com and some on the picture it'self. And it seems an image MUST have been posted elsewhere to load here *HMMMM*

I am too new (and ignorant) of computers to really Know. (*Truly imagine someone who had never used or Understood a computer in their everyday lives until about two years ago*) You could say I was in wrap stuff. And my brain seems to stay that way when ever the topic comes up. Sometimes I feel totally Hopeless - but determined.

I tried loading them all - so what am I doing wrong ?

Elwing

What kind of clay do you use, Tamarien? Your stuff looks great!

Tamarien ChangeStone

Hey ELWING - back at ya!

I mix my clays for each separate project, and color clay is new - so I just bought it ALL - everything in every brand I could find. I learned that anything that said "SOFT" tended to bleed and run together, so I used aluminum foil to cover baked stages from new clay add-on.

I have been working primarily in super sculpey firm for the last fifteen years; and would mix (meaning a food processor and super soft white sculpey) that to match my (*then*) slowly diminishing hand strength. {Now} I do love the look of a sculpture being mostly done when you take it out of the Oven - but I confess that I prefer my Super Sculpey Firm over all.

I notice you like Fimo ? Do you dabble in other clays?

. .

Tamarien ChangeStone

av.me/d8geqgl" />" />
Copper TearSheet by Tah-Marien on DeviantArt" />

Eyeshigh

Whow!

manga

That looks gorgeous!

Tamarien ChangeStone

Here we meet COPPER, and OC @rivertwine.com. I took many photos of her evolution so I do plan on posting that array here (as advertized).

I must note that on the flyer above: the desk setting is right before I sculpt the bust using an amazing tutorial by @SugarCharmShop.com for Elsa. Now her pendants are about a half an inch tall (maybe) - mine are about 4 to 5 inches tall.

After that step I then make a colored template for all MY next steps. Here you can see the worksheet. Orange -first step. Light green - second stage. Dark green - finishing stages.

Tamarien ChangeStone

Tools:

Tamarien ChangeStone

@ EYESHIGH and MANGA

Thank you so much. Pardon the gliches as I figure out the EQ.com system of posting and editing. It is really quite frustrating because the same thing never seems to work twice in a row !

manga

Tamarien, are you trying to code them in yourself or are you using the forum tools? There's an icon, sixth from the left (image of an eye) that should work for posting images.

Tamarien ChangeStone

And Yet . . . it does not work when I paste in (what I think) the URL number IS ?

manga

I'll pm you so we dont fill up your thread.

Tamarien ChangeStone

Embala, Embala. Oh where, oh where, can you be ?

PM'd you about a/my favorite Avatar of yours.

Elwing

Yes, I use FIMO, mostly because it is easy to obtain around here. I have one shop nearby that sells Sculpey and I didn't like it, hard and crumbly- I suspect there isn't much turnaround and their stock is old. I've ended up blending custom colors at times- like your food processor idea. Bold! How do you clean it?

I sometimes work in epoxy clay, and lately I have had access to a professional oven, which means I get to do old fashioned ceramic clay, which is proving a little bit frustrating so far, because it has limitations synthetic clays do not have.

I like the way in which you lay out these plaques- it is like doing a drawing in 3d.