ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

How have the Go-Backs changed over time.

Heather

This papercraft art got me thinking about the Go-Backs this morning. I have to wonder that since they are no longer at constant battle with the trolls, have some of them turned to more creative pursuits? In all these years how have the changed and remained the same? I can't wait to see.
(PS you can check out more of this awesome art here: http://boingboing.net/2015/01/16/the-beautiful-works-of-nermin.html)nerminer_3

manga

Leetah said "Peace brings gifts of beauty." But the Gobacks we saw when Kahvi tried to steal the Little Palace from the Sunfolk seem to have backslid - they were eating troll meat again. ("Whaddaya thing we are, barbarians?" asks a Goback in the most recent preview. Um, yes? Duh?) But then, Venka has been with them for the last forty-ish years, so maybe they've gained some ground back.

Zeina

What are they doing now, anyway? If they're not longer trying to get to the palace, and aren't at war with the trolls, then what is there for a Go-Back to do? It was their only mission in life and I'm wondering how Venka is leading them, and in what direction.
They've never been particularly spiritual or into creativity so I'm curious what their lives have been like...

Kathleen2point0

When the heck were the Go Backs ever at peace for an extended period of time?

They fought a ninety-six year war with the trolls to get palace, then had three years of peace before Picknose was overthrown and his replacement(s?) attacked the Go Backs again. Then the Rayek Incident, which could be considered a kind of conflict.

Now, we know some Go Backs left, probably small groups over the centuries, and some remained in their ancestral homeland, the Frozen Mountains. This was probably the group that stayed "Go Back". They don't seem to have been at peace for as long as they've been there.

(TBH, though, I don't blame the for eating troll meat. It's a quick, easy source of protein, the trolls are attacking them, they're far enough apart species wise that prion disease isn't a huge concern. Why not eat them?)

Anyhow, we know that, at least for the most part, the Go Backs that remained would have continued to tangle with trolls, because, let's face it, trolls and elves tend to be creatures of habit.

Also, Go Backs do make beautiful things. Their clothes are all well made, decorated with buckles, braid and embroidery, their spearshafts are carved, and they decorate their lodges as well. They don't make giant bridges, or huge eggs, no, but neither do the Wolfriders, who don't have the excuse of being in a war for their very survival. They're not philosophical in the way that Sun Villagers are, but they're more pragmatic, and also generations of people who have PTSD don't tend to have the time and energy to devote to discovering the soul. They don't have magic, no, but that's a cultural bias more than anything else.

Heather

Kathleen2point0 said: When the heck were the Go Backs ever at peace for an extended period of time?

We actually don't know if they have or haven't. We are just now seeing them again in Final Quest under the leadership of Venka.

And of course they make beautiful things but they are under new leadership, they aren't at war with the trolls anymore for the Palace, so they can change as well.