ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

[SPOILERS] Final Quest #7

Tam

Issue #7 comes out tomorrow, but I got my hot little paws on it early. ;) I know I'm not the only one, so...I'm DYING to discuss with people. Let's hear it. :D What shocked you most? Did you predict what would happen? Any disappointments?

Silvermane

OK Tam spill it! lol I want to know what happened.. PLEASEES....

Tam

*grins*

-we get to see another glimpse at Korafay looking adorable.
-Venka is stoked to have a brother
-Ohler and Newstar are officially a couple!
-Tyleet's hair can still predict the weather
-Dart scolds Mender for his taking pleasure in making human hearts explode and compares him to Winnowill. Mender says he continues to aspire to be like Leetah and Cutter, but can never match them, OR Dart.
-Freetouch is totally the new tanner
-Ember notices the healed human cub is likely to be the next Shuna, but is unsure about the other three.
-Sunstream confesses that he's reluctant to become the Elfin Wifi Router because reuniting the elves is Cutter's quest, not his, and he doesn't want to finish his father's work for him. Cutter says that's bollocks. Sunstream says he won't link everyone until Cutter says so.
-Leetah realizes that many are requesting her healing powers and she isn't a big fan of it, because (I think) she's afraid of the changes the elves are feeling. She dreads removing Moonshade's wolfblood (it's not said outright, but come on, we all know it's coming), and then...Shenshen asks her to MAKE HER HUMAN.
-Shenshen realizes that where she shines is in midwifery, but with Recognitions that are centuries apart, she doesn't want to wait anymore. Leetah agrees to change her shape to human so she can go be a midwife.
-Cutter determines that the Palace has to be removed before the link is made. He goes in, presumably to talk it over with some High Ones, but also to figure out what's bugging Leetah...and sees human Shenshen, surrounded by elves.

END.

Silvermane

OMG! *falls down in dead faint * did NOT see human Shenshen coming! Thanks!

Eyeshigh

OMHO........ that I didn't guessed. ShenShen going human....... Immidiatly I think JINK!
Cutter wanting the Palace to be removed, what does that mean? Is it going into space?

Sunstream not doing what is expected of him, but following his own path.

Silvermane

Cutter wanting the palace removed maybe because of the changes it is causing in the elves? But what if it is removed what does that mean for Strongbow and Moonshade? Now I'm just full of more questions!

Silvermane

Oh one more thing what to say the humans will even accept Shenshen? How will Cutter react to her change.. he's been real worried about all the changes happening.

travelbug

So Sunstream doesnt actually link all elves just yet in this issue?

It makes sense for Shenshen to become human, when it comes to her midwife skills, but it can't be without problems for an elf to go live with humans.

Tam

travelbug said: So Sunstream doesnt actually link all elves just yet in this issue?

Nope! Not just yet. But I'm really looking forward to when it happens, and what sort of elves will come out of the woodwork...

travelbug said: It makes sense for Shenshen to become human, when it comes to her midwife skills, but it can't be without problems for an elf to go live with humans.

Yeah. I was wondering if her new form makes her "hum" at a more human level...and what the consequences will be for her, leaving her own kind, finding humans who will trust her and who she can trust...

Silvermane said: Cutter wanting the palace removed maybe because of the changes it is causing in the elves?

I'm hoping it's more of a...we need to move the Palace so that new elves aren't crazy overwhelmed, and introduce things to them more slowly...but who knows.

travelbug

Now I'm wondering of some of the other elves will choose the same as Shenshen.
I'd say Tyleet, based on Dreamtime? But maybe others too??

I dont see how it will work though. Will Shenshen simply wander to an area with humans and settle down there, and advertise her midwife skills?
That sounds a bit to easy.
(I'm not totally happy for her, as I wanted her to be with Chot on some adventure..)

Greyfox

I thought he meant move the palace away from the holt. The holt won't be big enough if elves start streaming in. And about Shenshen, it would make sense for her to go find Shuna. Maybe she could be her way in with the humans...
And i agree, Jink is getting closer

Tam

travelbug said: Now I'm wondering of some of the other elves will choose the same as Shenshen.
I'd say Tyleet, based on Dreamtime? But maybe others too??

Hmm. Perhaps. I can't see her leaving Scouter, Dewshine, or Pool, though.

Greyfox

I have a feeling that most of Embers tribe will stay on abode. So going human wouldn't be far fetched. Sadly elves look a lot better than humans :-S

RichardPini

@Tam said: "Issue #7 comes out tomorrow, but I got my hot little paws on it early."

Just out of curiosity, how does one get the issue ahead of the release date?

travelbug

They could all choose the same and look human, but in this old Final Quest picture, Tyleet isn't by Dewshine and Scouter's side. Ofcourse it could very easily be a coincidense as the picture seems a bit cut and paste.
But both Tyleet and Pool really feels for humans (Scouter and Dewshine not so much) maybe something happens that make them part?

Llannen

RichardPini said: Just out of curiosity, how does one get the issue ahead of the release date?

There's a discussion in Facebook, some are able to get it and some aren't...using the Dark Horse app.

Tam

RichardPini said: Just out of curiosity, how does one get the issue ahead of the release date?

It doesn't always work, but sometimes, if you search for Elfquest in the Dark Horse App in the Series tab instead of looking in, say, the New section, you find it there. I've never found it early by searching for it directly, nor have I found it by searching on the site itself. But if I find it in the app and buy it there, it'll pop up in my library.

Tam

Greyfox said: So going human wouldn't be far fetched. Sadly elves look a lot better than humans

True that. But I found it amusing...so many of us fans have elf-selves, and imagine how we'd look without our pinkies or pointed ears or giant eyes...and now we're seeing the reverse, an elf who wants to be human. It's kind of cool. :)

Thornbrake

Tam said: It doesn't always work, but sometimes, if you search for Elfquest in the Dark Horse App in the Series tab instead of looking in, say, the New section, you find it there. I've never found it early by searching for it directly, nor have I found it by searching on the site itself. But if I find it in the app and buy it there, it'll pop up in my library.

I've had this same experience using the app on my iPad, but I've never gotten the issue before the release date - although I keep checking and hoping! :-\" For me, on the day of release it appears under "series" well before it does elsewhere on the Dark Horse Digital system (i.e., under the new releases section or when you do a search for "Elfquest").

Tam

Exactly. I dunno what the deal is...sometimes other people get it before me and I have to wait until the release date, but I think I've gotten it early more often than not. I wouldn't mind if Dark Horse fixed it, but I am also more than happy to provide spoilers. XD

MrsGrizzley

EEK!!!! SPOILERS!!!!! My great weakness!!!!!!!!

*whimpers* I wanna read this comic!!! I was finally able to get digital copies of the issues all my own and now I'm just jumping up and down in eagerness for this comic!!!!!

GAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thornbrake

MrsGrizzley said: I was finally able to get digital copies of the issues all my own and now I'm just jumping up and down in eagerness for this comic!!!!!

Welcome to the digital experience @MrsGrizzley! It's instant gratification (well, as soon as it is released).

captainvimes

The trick with the ipad app is really quite simple; change the date on your ipad to tomorrow and you can download it... That's what i do :)

Delhya

Hopefully mine will be at the comic shop tomorrow. ^_^

Silvermane

Got to wait till TFAW mails mine out. I don't mind spoilers for me it is not like drinking in the art.. doesn't spoil it for me :-D

captainvimes

By the way: best FQ issue yet i.m.o.
The story was so well paced, the conversations between mender/dart and pike/shenshen were fantastically done. If anybody is hesitant about this shenshen going human twist being too farfetched, wait until you read the bits with Pike. It works. It fits. It's handled extremely well.
I was hoping that the story and the characters would get more room to breathe now that the whole battle and chase bit was done with and it's indeed the case. There was lots of emotion, from full on (poor Leetah, so much pressure) to subtle. Like how the big issue of the way v.s. the palace was acted out (in all the comments on who prefers to live where, for instance), instead of driven home in the dialogue like last issue.

Bottom line, this issue has serious depth, it has all the feels. I'm well impressed! 10 out of 10!

Zeina

oh my gawd. I am so happy to hear about Shenshen. This whole time I've been like, Why is Shenshen a midwife for elves? They don't really seem to need one, but humans do. And her dream with Tyleet and the 5 fingers....THIS IS SOOOOO EXCITING!!!! *squeee!*

Zeina

It's weird, I was just listening to The EfQuest Show podcast and a discussion about how Mender might've been enjoying his powers a little tooooo much. And there was concern he might go down the Winnowill path. Love the synchronicity here :)

When is the digital version going to be available? Does anyone know? I have the app as well but I'm not seeing this current issue being available..

Tam

@Zeina, it should be available tomorrow. :)

Heather

I absolutely love the father/son moment with Sunstream and Cutter. Much like Ember getting into Cutter's lap for comfort, we see Sunstream at his father's knee receiving comfort and love. Warm fuzzies all over.

Zeina

Thanks, Tam! Oooooh, I am so looking forward to it!!!
And I also can't wait for the new podcast to come out!

Tam

Heather said: I absolutely love the father/son moment with Sunstream and Cutter. Much like Ember getting into Cutter's lap for comfort, we see Sunstream at his father's knee receiving comfort and love. Warm fuzzies all over.

The Sunstream/Cutter warm fuzzy moments are even better for me, because they're such different people, and they don't interact as much as Ember and Cutter. Great scene. <3

Knightbird

Heather said: I absolutely love the father/son moment with Sunstream and Cutter. Much like Ember getting into Cutter's lap for comfort, we see Sunstream at his father's knee receiving comfort and love. Warm fuzzies all over.

It reminds me of the "Hidden Years - Right of Passage" where the story line is about Ember wanting her space and then "Full Circle" for Suntop (Sunstream) wanting to prove his own. Actually, I love the scenes between Cutter and Sunstream more because Cutter can't connect to his son, like he does Ember (but he sure does try).

Heather

Knightbird said: I love the scenes between Cutter and Sunstream more because Cutter can't connect to his son, like he does Ember (but he sure does try)

I love that as well too. That real love right there between father and child. Cutter is such an awesome dad. While he may never have known Bearclaw's thoughts for him tot do a better job, he did. I am sure both Bearclaw and Joyleaf are still so proud of their Chief Son.

Tam said: The Sunstream/Cutter warm fuzzy moments are even better for me, because they're such different people, and they don't interact as much as Ember and Cutter. Great scene. <3

And this too. You both got it spot on with the moment. So different but still so much love. It makes me feel so wonderful.

lunakat

The one thing that confuses me is... why does the Palace have to be removed before Sunstream links everyone? What's the logic in that? What difference does it make?

wingthing

It drags out the suspense. Or it's supposed to.

captainvimes

^ from Cutter's comment about the Holt, it also seems he doesn't want it to be overrun with possible new elves. There might also be human tribes nearby and from Shuna's recent experiences they're probably not too keen on elves passing through the neighbourhood en route to one big magical elven jamboree ;)

And maybe he's thinking ahead and just doesn't want Winnowill to know where they are..?

MountainOwl

First attempt at a post on a forum ever here: (how does... what does THAT button do... hope this works! :)

So I was wondering: doesn't anybody worry about Sunstream "shorting out" or overloading when he eventually connects everyone? and wouldn't he need the palace to boost or stabilize? Is this going to be something he can turn on or off at will? is he going to vibrate like a gong or freeze like a treewee whenever someone "calls" through him (serious survival hazard if so). wrapstuff?

Poring through back issues for Jink and future-quest and dreams for hints... left with much speculation and anticipation. (Darn the Pini's are good at dropping just enough breadcrumbs!)
The artwork is amazing, but if it wasn't for the storyline, we wouldn't be all abuzz.

If we are getting cross species shaping... will we see cross species mating (as with Timmain in wolf-form) and what/ who will the result be? who else will be inspired? Two-edge as a healer's whim, a paradox of form... might he or any or all of them choose to reshape themselves again and again?

I am SO looking forward to holding hardcopy with color in my hands! (thank-you TFAW) love the hints and so-called spoilers, they only make me hungrier for the real thing in hand. digital is fun, but there's just something about the smell of old books! I have been following Elfquest through it's many storylines since high school (1980's!) and I sometimes worry: if I get run over by a bus, I'm coming back to haunt the authors 'til I find out what happens.

Ember, PTSD, pretty serious stuff, and part of her hero's journey. will be interesting to see how that plays out. Tier's abandonment issues are very real, this is how co-dependent couples come about unless both parties are very, very careful. Has anyone else caught the (perhaps) nod to Mercedes Lacky-verse with K'chaya (Kechara = beloved)? Where did Tier pick up that term of endearment anyway? ... hmm there was a story somewhere in the books (not illustrated) of a Lone female human healer with a big wolf as a companion that Willowgreen learned from... a Shuna prototype?

looking forward to the next adventure! (and more spoilers to keep us guessing)

Tavie

Mender ogling Dart. Moar please.

Zeina

omg omg just downloaded it and read it. Damn!

Not sure about why Cutter needs to get the Palace out of the way. Is it some kind of filtering process or something? I'm really confused.

Also, I am so happy for Shenshen! I'm also really worried. But this is just awesome.

The whole thing with training with Old Maggoty makes sense now, from the dream. She'll have knowledge from herbs to draw from to help in her journey and aid the humans. What a choice - to help the humans. Talk about a conflicted path. One side trying to stem the tide of humans as they take over the world, while another side is now aiding that current to flow more smoothly. Whoa. It's kind of crazy. But I love it. I love the conflicted craziness of it.

I really hope she won't be burned at the stake. Does this planet have burnings at the stake? I hope it doesn't.

lunakat

captainvimes said
^ from Cutter's comment about the Holt, it also seems he doesn't want it to be overrun with possible new elves. There might also be human tribes nearby and from Shuna's recent experiences they're probably not too keen on elves passing through the neighbourhood en route to one big magical elven jamboree

Does the "call" mean elves are going to make their way to the palace? Or would the Palace (or a pod) go to them, like last time?

captainvimes said: nd maybe he's thinking ahead and just doesn't want Winnowill to know where they are..?

That's a good point. Maybe Sunstream would give away their location by linking?

Zeina

Jan 1, 2015

Who gives a toss about Winnowill? It's not like she can even get in, can she? She's been turned away by the invisible elven doormen that be and is totally not on the VIP waiting list. Rayek and Ekuar are, so she'll be there anyway too. So it wouldn't make any sense for him to just move it.

Zeina

Jan 1, 2015

I think he wants the Palace moved away from the holt, so that just in case other elves who might be not so 'We Come In Peace' are far away from doing immediate damage. That's the only thing I can think of since the holt now is really very close to it. It's a good idea. Get that thing moved out to a more remote location.

Stefan

Jan 1, 2015

Edit, i get now why Smensmen's making this choice..

Also, the moving away of the Palace...perhaps it's just for interference..As it will be the very first time Sunstream would be linking them all. Or that it would be possible for other, less well meaning elves, to hack into the palace like Winnowill did at the start of Shards.

Anyhow, i am reading it now.

Eyeshigh

Jan 1, 2015

There is a story somewhere that speaks of the Palace coming down to an island where all the elfes, who want to, come together to increase the chance of Recognition. Cutter and Skywise looking from a distance, not sure if Sunstream is there, but Cutter is very old in that story....... another hint the Pini's have left us in the past? Or just a non-canon fiction....?
I can see the Palace moving to another place, an island deep in the ocean, hard to find for the humans. Pods flying to who ever wants to learn about the Palace, known and unknown elfes.
Hmmm that makes me think of the fleet the Djun is building.......

Any way.... I love to see a "spoiler-picture", one that isn't on the 4 pages we can find on DH.

Raenafel

Jan 1, 2015

I guess what Cutter means that the Thorny mountain could serve a good holt for remaining elves. Remaining means choosing life outside of the palace.

An open call to elves of abode means that they will start swarming from all directions. So the palace as thrir destination should be pur somewhere distant place for good

I suggest them going to Hearthstone continent....

travelbug

Jan 1, 2015

Eyeshigh, thats one of the Worldpool stories.
I think it would be a good idea for increasing the number of elves thou.

I think Shenshen looks cute as a human. But I'm worried about her going of all alone. Maybe she'll join Shuna for a while? Now I kind of hope Pike will turn human and go with her.

A remote place for the palace is probably a wise move. Somewhere without humans, if there is such a place somewhere.

Heather

Jan 1, 2015

Tavie said: Mender ogling Dart. Moar please.

Mmmmhmmmm....that was fantastic!

travelbug

Jan 1, 2015

Has anyone noticed both Nightfall and Redlance having blue eyes in the panels with Shenshen?

In the panels with Mender, Dart and Freetouch I was thinking: why does Mender suddenly have grey eyes? Then I remembered that's his actual eyecolor.
The yellow glowing eyes in #2 was just for that moment.

Stormsong8

Jan 1, 2015

Love the spoilers, but can't go get my copy unless i bundle up the baby and walk over, it's half a block. Would do the digital, but love my physical copy....choices choices....LOL

Blackbird

Jan 1, 2015

Aaaagh...I thought he was going to send out in this issue, but judging by the cover on #8, it's then. Can't wait for that!
Awh, so cute Shenshen-human, but really hoped she was going to get a cub for herself.

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Tavie said: Mender ogling Dart. Moar please.

LOVED that. Oh Mender, you so horny!

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

MountainOwl said: First attempt at a post on a forum ever here: (how does... what does THAT button do... hope this works!

Welcome @MountainOwl! Love to see new folks here. Looks like you figured it out just fine! ;)

MountainOwl said: If we are getting cross species shaping... will we see cross species mating (as with Timmain in wolf-form) and what/ who will the result be?

Wendy and Richard have explicitly said that Timmain is the only magic-user powerful enough to shape herself to the level of being able to breed with another species, so I highly doubt it. It keeps it special and from becoming commonplace, which I think is smart.

TalonClaw

Jan 1, 2015

Considering that Timmain is the best shapechanger by far, also what Khavi hinted at in issue 6 to Cutter about spending more time in the palace . . .
I'm leaning towards Jink being the result of a recognition between Timmain and Cutter at this point.

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

travelbug said: Has anyone noticed both Nightfall and Redlance having blue eyes in the panels with Shenshen?

There were a couple of instances where 'wrong eye color' stood out to me in this issue. I'd have to go back and look. At one point Kahvi had blue eyes, and it was jarring!

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

Blackbird said: Awh, so cute Shenshen-human, but really hoped she was going to get a cub for herself.

I love that she, like her niece, has the "cubs aren't really for me" attitude. It's sort of... refreshing? Like, "I like holding new babies and helping them come into the world, but then I'm kinda done." I love that. That seems very in-character for Shenshen.

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

OK, someone has to remind me because I didn't really read that series closely and it was a long time ago, but am I crazy to remember that Mender had a period of shape-changing into a human for periods of time, in "Wild Hunt" or somesuch?

I wonder if that's:

(a) true (my memory plays tricks)
(b) canon
(c) going to be mentioned in a future issue, re: Shenshen's change

And did Rayek also do this (with Winnowill's aid) in some stories that take place some time in the future, or was he just wearing a big hat?

Stefan

Jan 1, 2015

I loved the back and forth between Mender and FreeTouch. . And i actually laughed out loud at Dart's 'i said simple' comment.. The look on his face. (and we now know where that 'çolour tease'from a while back came from..) And i sense some flriting between Dart and Mender. Mender's little comment directed at Dart being half dressed. Even while they are having a serious discussion there seems to be a spark...Should we start calling them 'Dender'?

So far i like the more calm aspect of the issue over what came before. This is exactly what i always loved about eq, great interaction, plenty of humor. The issue had more depth to it than the more action orientated first 6. The art is stronger in this issue, especially all the pages after the Venka/Windkin meet up. And the way Wendy sort of breaks the fourth wall with Winnowill's finger above Mender.
(Too bad though, it seems i do notice another re-used image, Savah in her Chair and Cutter kneeling. ShenShen running after Leetah looks added in instead of drawn into the scene) It just jumps out like a sore thumb to me.

Still those are small things in an otherwise very strong 7th issue. I keep saying it almost with every new number, but this issue is def. my favorite one so far.. So much is happening and not happening, loads of good stuff. The colouring has been more lively also (although it seems Mender kinda switches between darker and lighter skin)

I think i wil dubb this issue the 'smirks and pecs' edition.

lunakat

Jan 1, 2015

Yes, it does seem as if Mender is flirting with Dart. Maybe they are the same sex couple Wendy was talking about? I'm going to make the assertion that Dart has a definite proclivity.

Cutter looked very hunky in his scene with Sunstream.

Shen Shen... i wonder if she's going to start a trend? Maybe she will end up inspiring other elves to disguise themselves as human as well. Maybe, when the elves finally leave for the sky, some will stay behind in the guise of human beings? Maybe that's where the pyschic ones in Jink's story come from?

I understand now why Cutter would want to remove the Palace. I don't think that is going to make Skywise very happy. He's definitely going to have to make a choice. But so will Cutter. Does it make sense to invite everyone to the Palace, but leave it essentially undefended in the case that some new elves might end up being aggressive? It's not as if the SunFolk can really fight- right? Or can they? What happened to Dart's Jackwolfriders? Are any left?

I agree with everything Stephan said about the art. I'm really liking it in this issue. The colors are great and well used. The image of Winnowil is just beautifully drawn. It's very old school, but new school at the same time. Love it.

Thought... Mender sure has a hero worship thing going on with Cutter and Leetah. Boy has issues. I guess if he can't have Ember- he is going to go for the second best thing. Dart. It's a little disturbing. And if Dart is pointing out his lust for killing... that's a little disturbing too. I mean- when Mender killed those human being by exploding their hearts, and didn't even blink- I have to admit I was impressed, and it's honestly the first time I've found his character to be attractive. But still- it's a little... hmm... sociopathic, honestly.

Thought #2... Pike and Shen Shen are a nice couple.

Eyeshigh

Jan 1, 2015

Welcome @MountainOwl! Have fun here at the forum ;) :)

Mkal

Jan 1, 2015

When Shenshen started on about not being able to be a midwife, the wheels started turning for me. As soon as Pike made the comment about humans breeding like rabbits, I felt I knew where it was going.

Then Shenshen brought up Dreamtime.

I was sure.

Mkal

Jan 1, 2015

I have a question. Why did Shenshen's eyes turn from green to brown?

Mkal

Jan 1, 2015

Mender is like the bisexual version of Skywise...

Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 12.27.25 PM

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

Mkal said: I have a question. Why did Shenshen's eyes turn from green to brown?

My guess: there are more humans with brown eyes than green (see Khorbasi's brood for example) and if Shenshen is trying to blend in, it would make sense to make her look as much like the local humans as possible?

MrsGrizzley

Jan 1, 2015

SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dancing around the room in joy*. SO PRETTY!!!! And Shenshen's choice!!! And Leetah's reaction!!! And Mender ogling Dart!!

And the cold-weather clothes Freetouch is making!!!!!!! Oh dear High Ones, the clothes!!!! Tyleet's outfit!!! Dewshine calling her "MY Tyleet"!!!!!

*falls over, exhausted but still grinning like a madwoman* I have never been so happy in my life!!

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Tavie said: OK, someone has to remind me because I didn't really read that series closely and it was a long time ago, but am I crazy to remember that Mender had a period of shape-changing into a human for periods of time, in "Wild Hunt" or somesuch?

This did happen in the Wild Hunt story "Mender's Tale." I'm assuming it's canon unless it's contradicted by Final Quest. It's where Khorbasi was first introduced.

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Stefan said: I think i wil dubb this issue the 'smirks and pecs' edition.

=))

Llannen

Jan 1, 2015

Thornbrake said: This did happen in the Wild Hunt story "Mender's Tale." I'm assuming it's canon unless it's contradicted by Final Quest. It's where Khorbasi was first introduced.

This is one tale I don't remember reading, will go read it online and then go look through my collection because I honestly don't remember if I have this one. Is it in the actual Wild Hunt series?

I totally thought I'd be cool reading the spoilers only and then waiting to go get my comic from the store but it's driving me nuts. I asked my husband to go pick up for me to day. The teasers in reading comments is irresistible. I know I can get online but I am so old school that I want the copy in my hands for the first read.....

New outfits? New cosplays? Haven't seen a Mender or Dart yet....

lunakat

Jan 1, 2015

How practical is Dart's new outfit, really?

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

MrsGrizzley said: Dewshine calling her "MY Tyleet"!!!!!

I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT THIS. This was one of my favorite moments in the whole issue. Wendy's "background" moments are the BEST.

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

lunakat said: How practical is Dart's new outfit, really?

Which is SO in character for Freetouch. Remember Moonshade scolding her about the "good enough" laces?

Zeina

Jan 1, 2015

How practical is Dart's new outfit, really?

I know! Wasn't Moonshade talking about having the tenderest parts exposed? Don't nipples count for boy elves? Jeez, Freetouch. She's all like Cher costume elf or something with her designs.

willderbeast

Jan 1, 2015

Picked up, and read, this issue this afternoon, and I'm pretty darned pleased (as I've been with all of the Final Quest, so far). Very happy to see Venka, Aroree and my little buddy Two-Edge back. It's been nearly 20 years since we've seen them, and fun as it's been to follow the main characters, I've been itching to know about this group since they're my personal faves (especially the Edge-meister; he's sort of my favourite character, along with Venka).

Gotta agree with @MountainOwl, @Stefan and @lunakat on the art in this issue — it is amazing, and noticeably less smooth and “digital”-looking than it’s been up until now. For example, I quite like the the subtle ink-style crosshatching on Venka’s face (page 5 of the print edition; the panel that begins with “Slowly, a wry smile spreads over Venka’s bronzed features…” -- sweet!). It’s a subtle touch, but it’s a nice carryover from Wendy’s classic style and the days before colour shading was used to define shadows and details.

Also…
@Captainvimes:

from Cutter's comment about the Holt, it also seems he doesn't want it to be overrun with possible new elves. There might also be human tribes nearby and from Shuna's recent experiences they're probably not too keen on elves passing through the neighbourhood en route to one big magical elven jamboree

That makes all the sense in the world to me.

Tam

Jan 1, 2015

Llannen said: This is one tale I don't remember reading, will go read it online and then go look through my collection because I honestly don't remember if I have this one. Is it in the actual Wild Hunt series?

First two parts are here: http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/index.php?s=EQ2/EQ232&p=16

Second two parts should be here: http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/index.php?s=MEN3

JRoseberry

Jan 1, 2015

Anyone else want to grab Moonshade, give her a good shake and push her out the door. You have to wonder how her wolf friend feels about how much time she spends inside the palace. Do the wolves like going inside it? Has this been mentioned? You would think the wolves would be uncomfortable trying to walk on the floors.

Zeina

Jan 1, 2015

I think one wolf took a dump in there from what I remember, and Rayek was all skeeved out. It was during KoBW #4.

I feel sorry for Moonshade. She's having a huge existential crisis and looks really out of it. I really don't think getting rid of her wolf blood is going to 'solve' anything...she's not Skywise, never was that way - never had an interest in the stars or what's 'out there'...her time in the palace just seems more reactionary as she's become disenchanted with the whole life/death struggle. I don't see her as genuinely interested in life in the palace, because she's using it more as an escape or temporary sanctuary , and so it feels like this whole thing is temporary state for her maybe.

I think it would be awesome if Crescent had a talk with her or something. I mean a real talk that's a kick in the ass. Or some dead relative.
Or better yet, Khavi. That would be an interesting interaction.

willderbeast

Jan 1, 2015

Zeina said: Or better yet, Khavi. That would be an interesting interaction.

I'd pay good money to see that.

Mkal

Jan 1, 2015

But Shuna has green eyes...

Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 9.39.53 PM

Mkal

Jan 1, 2015

Screen shot 2015-01-28 at 10.09.33 PM

This makes me wonder exactly who will answer the call.

What other 'mortal' elves could be out there?

ooooo.....

MrsGrizzley

Jan 1, 2015

Other descendants of Timmorn? The Wolfriders didn't have to *invent* the idea of splitting the tribe because of their numbers, or any other reason for that matter.

Llannen

Jan 1, 2015

Tam said: First two parts are here: http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/index.php?s=EQ2/EQ232&p=16

Second two parts should be here: http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/index.php?s=MEN3

:-* Thank you!!!

My comic shop doesn't have it...something to do with the distributor. :(( =((
I may cave and get it online. I should try it on the kindle fire but it has been fun to read comments here and on FB.....living vicariously through you all because I think the suspense would've killed me.

Tavie

Jan 1, 2015

@mkal

But Shuna has green eyes...

I said "most", not "all"...

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Llannen said: This is one tale I don't remember reading, will go read it online and then go look through my collection because I honestly don't remember if I have this one. Is it in the actual Wild Hunt series?

Yup, there are four chapters. The first two appeared in issues #32 and #33 of the EQ anthology comic (EQ Vol 2). The third and fourth chapters were never published but are online in the EQ online comics reader.

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Mkal said: Mender is like the bisexual version of Skywise

All the elves are "bisexual."

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Mkal said: Why did Shenshen's eyes turn from green to brown?

Where do you see that? Just looked through the issue again and they look green to me throughout.

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

lunakat said: How practical is Dart's new outfit, really?

Well, it's proven practically impossible for Mender to not get horny when he sees it. \m/

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Tavie said: There were a couple of instances where 'wrong eye color' stood out to me in this issue. I'd have to go back and look. At one point Kahvi had blue eyes, and it was jarring!

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Remember, Kahvi had blue eyes in the Starblaze graphic novels, which were the first time we saw her in color. It wasn't until the Father Tree Press graphic novels that here eyes were established as being green.

Redlance and Nightfall have blue eyes in one panel too in this issue. But, all in all, for me, it's a fairly minor thing (if somewhat distracting).

Tam

Jan 1, 2015

Llannen said: I should try it on the kindle fire but it has been fun to read comments here and on FB.....living vicariously through you all because I think the suspense would've killed me.

Unfortunately, Dark Horse doesn't have an app for Kindle. :(

Llannen

Jan 1, 2015

:-S

I'm going to look in my hard copies for the first two series....now that @Thornbrake and you set me up. Satisfy my craving while waiting to read #7.....but keep the discussions coming!

maatkare22

Jan 1, 2015

Gorgeous art, and it's great to see Venka and Two-Edge again.
My mind isn't as blown as some others...all I'm pretty sure of is that Shenshen's decision is going to have horrible consequences and Leetah will feel very, very guilty. (seriously, it just screams disaster) As for Mender/Dart...quite frankly I got the full on psycho vibe from Mender. I don't think he took Dart's admonishment well at all. "I'm nowhere as good as you" came off as ominous and very "All About Eve"-ish to me. And given Ember's recent disenchantment with humans...dare I say the signs for me point to a Cutter/Ember conflict over elves v. humans.

Add me to those a little confused by Cutter planning on moving the Palace just as he wants to let all the elves everywhere know about each other. But we'll see how that plays out. Also...am I crazy but at the end of the original quest Suntop DID reach all the existing elves with the tale of their origins while manipulating the Scroll of Colors in the Palace, didn't he? We saw the elf tribes we'd met represented, and each acknowledged that it was Suntop who linked them. (no Wavedancers because...we hadn't "met" them yet) So...why so much foreboding and trepidation?

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

Tam said: Unfortunately, Dark Horse doesn't have an app for Kindle.

Here's what their website says:

CAN I DOWNLOAD THESE BOOKS ON MY KINDLE?
Currently, we offer hundreds of graphic novels for Kindle Fire, available for purchase through Amazon, and we are adding more titles every week. Additionally, we have a version of our Android app which you can side-load to your Kindle if you like. Click here to learn how to install the Android app on your Kindle Fire. We hope to offer a version of this app for Kindle Fire which features Amazon's in-app purchasing option in the near future.

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

maatkare22 said: Add me to those a little confused by Cutter planning on moving the Palace just as he wants to let all the elves everywhere know about each other.

Others have pointed it out, but I think that Cutter is simply thinking that an influx of elves might a) tax the resources of the Holt, and 2) some of them might be hostile. Removing the Palace from the Holt will eliminate the immediate threat.

maatkare22 said: Also...am I crazy but at the end of the original quest Suntop DID reach all the existing elves with the tale of their origins while manipulating the Scroll of Colors in the Palace. We saw the elf tribes we'd met represented, and each acknowledged that it was Suntop who likened them. (no Wavedancers because...we hadn't "met" them yet) So...why so much foreboding and trepidation?

That's an interesting observation. I think the elves that Suntop knew somehow felt his connection to the High One when she channelled through him to tell the Go-Backs and Wolfriders and Trolls the story of the Firstcomers. But I don't think that they actually saw what the Scroll of Colors showed.

Remember, it wasn't until Rayek brought the Palace to the Sun Village that Savah actually saw the Scroll's story for herself. If anything, I think this was an early hint at Suntop's potential to serve as the living link between all elves. But he hasn't yet exercised that power in its full potential. At least not until issue #8!

janus_majere

Jan 1, 2015

Got my copy, and proceeded to read it in the parking lot once I got in the car. /noshame

I can't help but feel that there is a LOT stirring underneath the surface with this issue. I'm gonna have to re-read it again tomorrow to see if I catch something that I may have missed.

One thing got me chuckling though. After reading about Shenshen's revelation on what she wants to do with her life, I couldn't help but wonder if her life's work would be similar to what humans (as in us on Earth) go through when deciding that they want to be a veterinarian. I know it sounds odd, but if you think about it, we are talking about two different species here. While I understand there is a difference between bestial beings and self aware beings, the gray area in between the black and white is the biology... and the wanting to help those outside our innate species.

maatkare22

Jan 1, 2015

Others have pointed it out, but I think that Cutter is simply thinking that an influx of elves might a) tax the resources of the Holt, and 2) some of them might be hostile. Removing the Palace from the Holt will eliminate the immediate threat.
Not quite sure how an arduous journey to the Palace only to discover it's gone would improve the mood of hostile elves tho...
But I don't think that they actually saw what the Scroll of Colors showed.
Hmmm...a trip to my archives shows Savah saying "Suntop...we all touch through him," and Winnowill grudgingly acknowledges "the child...HE is the link." So clearly...yeah, they KNOW Suntop specifically was connected to this ability/experience. In my mind I assumed all elves were getting the slideshow of "where we came from." But then, I still insist on thinking "Rye-ek," not "Ray-ek."

Thornbrake

Jan 1, 2015

maatkare22 said: Not quite sure how an arduous journey to the Palace only to discover it's gone would improve the mood of hostile elves tho...

Yes, the idea is that the Palace will move elsewhere before Sunstream sends out the call, so a crowd of new, possibly hostile, elves won't suddenly show up in the Holt.

Zeina

Jan 1, 2015

As for Mender/Dart...quite frankly I got the full on psycho vibe from Mender. I don't think he took Dart's admonishment well at all. "I'm nowhere as good as you" came off as ominous and very "All About Eve"-ish to me.

Thanks for allowing me to momentarily picture Dart as Bette Davis/Margot Channing. That was...uncomfortable.

maatkare22

Jan 1, 2015

After reading about Shenshen's revelation on what she wants to do with her life, I couldn't help but wonder if her life's work would be similar to what humans (as in us on Earth) go through when deciding that they want to be a veterinarian.
janus_majere HAAHHHAAHHAHAH!!! I LOVE this idea!! But let's be more charitable and say she's the elfin Jane Goodall. (Goodall's books reveal a deep spirituality and love for all life which surely Shenshen shares.)

Sifra

Jan 1, 2015

I really liked this issue.
When Final Quest started, I did not know much about Ambers tribe and did not care about them, but I'm starting to like them now and maybe I'll read up about them.
I hope Dart can talk some sense into Mender. It looks like he doesn't see the problem at all. :S
I liked the part with Dart, Mender and Freetouch in it, because it was funny.
I would love it if Dart was a part of the "same sex couple" Wendy mentioned. Right now, I don't see how Dart and Mender could be lovemates. Dart seems like a nice guy to me, while Mender comes across as immature and psychopatic. But I'm sure that where ever the story will lead, the Pini's will do great with it.
Shenshen's part was very interesting. She made her decision so fast, while Moonshade has been brooding over hers for some time now. But I guess they are in very different posistions. And Shenshen does make a very pretty human!
I'm wondering about Moonshade's storyline. Right now, she says she's learning much in the palace, and I wonder what her life will look like, in time, if she chooses to stay on this course.
I didn't really understand the part with Cutter and the palace, but he was cute with his son. I wonder what will happen to Moonshade and Strongbow if Cutter has the palace removed. Since Moonshade wants to stay in the palace and Strongbow lives in the Holt.

Tam

Jan 1, 2015

Thornbrake said: Currently, we offer hundreds of graphic novels for Kindle Fire, available for purchase through Amazon, and we are adding more titles every week. Additionally, we have a version of our Android app which you can side-load to your Kindle if you like. Click here to learn how to install the Android app on your Kindle Fire. We hope to offer a version of this app for Kindle Fire which features Amazon's in-app purchasing option in the near future.

While that's fantastic, I have no idea how it works...you can't buy the issues on Amazon, and through the app, they're attached to my Google account, not my Amazon account. :/ I also have no idea what side-loading means, but the only way I've found to get the Dark Horse app on a Kindle is to void its warranty.

maatkare22

Jan 1, 2015

Thornbrake said: Yes, the idea is that the Palace will move elsewhere before Sunstream sends out the call, so a crowd of new, possibly hostile, elves won't suddenly show up in the Holt.
But my point is if you do that, and then a new group of nasty elves shows up expecting the Palace--because lil' Suntop conveyed the IMPRESSION if not the specifics all those years ago when he linked up all the elves everywhere while signal boosted by Rayek, Timmain and the Palace itself to elves we didn't meet in that long-ago tale--what happens when they show up and Cutter goes "Heyyy...totes glad you're here but we specifically hid our cool space/time traversing ancestral vehicle from you because we were afraid you might be assholes."

travelbug

Jan 1, 2015

Other mortal elves could be descendants of Trickster's Clan (Rahnee the She-Wolf's second tribe. She recognized the chief) and the Goatriders (Freefoot recognized one of them and had a son).
Rahnee's daughter Cat left the Wolfriders with her cub and mate (or mates, they were threemated in the story about her).

If Wendy and Richard decides to blend in some of these Botc stories, there could be a lot more mortal, wolfblooded elves.
The possiblity of other mortal elves who dont have wolfblood, is anyone's guess

NEXT PAGE