ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

"Elfquest" and Studio Ghibli

manga

It's been mentioned elsewhere on the list that Studio Ghibli could do a good job with "Elfquest."

They kind of already have. As I read "Final Quest," I keep thinking "Oh, look, it's 'The PomPoko of the Elves!'"

krwordgazer

Wow, you're right! :-bd

Rob

Dissent!

Ghibli's movies have an airy, knowing vibe, a languid mysticism that is at odds with Elfquest's own. Ghibliquest would be like "Tales from Earthsea" -- entrancing at first, but within minutes you can immediately tell that the source material is a veneer on the studio's own formulae. From Ursula K. Le Guin's review:

'Mr Goro Miyazaki asked me just as I was leaving, "Did you like the movie?" It was not an easy question to answer, under the circumstances. I said: "Yes. It is not my book. It is your movie. It is a good movie."'

Ghibliquest would look like Elfquest, to a degree startling in its fastidious and expert artistry. But it would be nothing whatsoever like Elfquest.

manga

I don't know, Rob. "Mononoke Hime" is a lot like "Elfquest" already.

lunakat

I thought they stopped production when Miyazaki retired. Did anyone see his last film? It was so moving.

lunakat

There are many other 2D animation studios besides Ghibli.

Tam

lunakat said: I thought they stopped production when Miyazaki retired. Did anyone see his last film? It as so moving.

I believe it's only temporary; they're just trying to figure out what to do without Hayao Miyazaki.

lunakat

Ah. Well, maybe someone should suggest Elfquest to them.

krwordgazer

I loved Miyazaki's final film, and I love Studio Ghibli films in general! I kind of see what Rob is talking about, though. Howl's Moving Castle didn't really feel like Diana Wynn Jones' novel, and The Borrowers didn't really feel like Mary Norton's novel.

manga

What last movie? "Last" as in "most recent?" Because he's come out of retirement again and this time says he's just never gonna quit.

Tam

The Wind Rises was Hayao Miyazaki's last movie. Studio Ghibli is still producing other things.

manga

I swear, Miyazaki is Schroedinger's Director. You never know if he's retired or not!

sulken

The Ghibli-movies have a certain look that wouldn't fit for an EQ movie... Love their Films, though ^_^

Tam

I think an Elfquest Ghibli movie would be really interesting...and they certainly have a different take on how males and females relate to each other than most of western media. But yeah, that look is VERY Ghibli and not Elfquest...an animated movie, for me, would have to be based on Wendy's art.

Zeina

Isn't his son making movies as well?

Tehaar

I would like to point out that Le Guin's books were butchered by Goro Miyazaki. Even his father Hayao Miyazaki had stated to him that he wasn't ready to make the movie. If it was Hayao making the movie, it might be a different deal. (But I'm not sure if it would work with EQ anyway.)

Leanan

If Ghibli did it there would probably be fantastically shaped giant airships somewhere in it... perhaps the Gliders would use them? >:)

Tam

Zeina said: Isn't his son making movies as well?

Yep! Goro Miyazaki. He was a bit reluctant to start, though, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the hiatus or the aforementioned butchering of Le Guin's books.

Leanan said: If Ghibli did it there would probably be fantastically shaped giant airships somewhere in it... perhaps the Gliders would use them? >:)

Probably! XD It would be a really cool AU, just...not Elfquest.

manga

I actually only started this thread for that joke about "The Pompoko of the Elves," which is a joke because Elfmom and -Pop have called "Final Quest" as "The Gotterdammerung of the Elves." \m/

krwordgazer

I definitely see the Pompoko analogy.