ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Mender - Healer's Hormones

Arfurido

Well here we go again ;)

Too bad the old thread was lost in the serverchange. There was a nice discussion about Mender in "Shadowstalker" here. Personally, it was in that story I really started noticing him for the amazing personality he is.

I have a Mender site here.

Kathleen

I like Mender. I didn't before, but I think he's really matured, and of course, he has waaaaay better fashion sense now!

Kitt

AMEN TO THAT!! :? What was that outfit he was wearing in that one calendar shot :?:?

crescent1325

although i think he is a little manho...i so think he should have been the one to end up with Ember...not Tier....

dewshine_lover_1

I agree..she just seemed right with mender..and a bit more tough too.. they just look good together and fit right. Besides the fact that hes sexy and has healing powers hehehe

Willowspring

I think Mender is one of those elves that would get on your nerves... and he often pissed off Ember when Teir first came back... Lie, his whole. " I won't play a golden haired Rayek to a black haired Cutter" *sigh* But i think that one healer in the family is enough.

Foxeye

I like Mender. He's my favorite male horndog (so much sexier than the skywise-horndog ever was). I love Mender's thrill-seeking, crazy attitude, and his enthusiasm for life in general. He's a good guy. But to be honest, I don't think he's a good lifemate match for Ember. They are too alike...if she were with him, they'd be running around doing stupid, crazy stunts all the time. I can see him being her "nightfall" though....a very very close friend through thick and thin.

Elsa

Butbutbutbut I WANT to see the crazy stunts! :D They seemed to have so much fun together, Mender would come up with stupid ideas and Ember would go along with them because it's fun to watch (or participate).

Teir has blandified Ember. She needed that spark that the healer gave her.

I probably won't post my rant about Teir though, I'm always a bit harsh on him.

twinklebug

Aww, I like Ember and Teir together. And what she had with Mender was cute, too. I think he's awesome! He's exactly the kind of guy I'd want to date. Adventurous, hot, thrill-seeking, hot, fun, and did I mention hot? 8)

Kitt

...yeah, I'll agree that he's kind of a stud-muffin Wink

emerald

Him and Ember need to be together forever!!! He's so much better for her! :P

dewshine_lover_1

I like them both with ember, but Ember herself was better when she was with Mender. He seemed to keep the life in her. Since shes been with Tier, she seems to be just that much more confused about life.

Kitt

I can see that. :? I'm not sure that she was confused, more like...thoughtful and not one to think without acting as she had done in the past.

dewshine_lover_1

yes..that is what i was trying to say hahaha guess im the one thats confused hehe

Kitt

*pats shoulder* 's okay Wink

SUNMARK

[quote:339770f968="Elsa"]Butbutbutbut I WANT to see the crazy stunts! :D They seemed to have so much fun together, Mender would come up with stupid ideas and Ember would go along with them because it's fun to watch (or participate).

Teir has blandified Ember. She needed that spark that the healer gave her.
[/quote:339770f968]
I agree with elsa I WANNA see crazy stunts to!

Gazelle

What I wanna see is the lot of them getting together to form a three-mating. But in Shadowstalker when Mender heals Dewshine they look like the CUTEST couple!!!!!! Besides Dewshine needs to get away from Scouter and Tyleet. Their wrecking her Unhappy .

emerald

[quote:5c6a030295="Gazelle"]Besides Dewshine needs to get away from Scouter and Tyleet. Their wrecking her Unhappy.[/quote:5c6a030295]

[img:5c6a030295]http://support.jodohost.com/images/smilies/bolt.gif[/img:5c6a030295]

Arfurido

I too agree that Dewshine and Mender is a cute couple. But I'm kinda seeing him with Shenshen. I think they would be the cutest, funniest, horniest Grin couple around! And think of the kids... :mrgreen:

Gazelle

EEEEEE, they would be cute kids!

emerald

I for one don't understand why Ember left him for that stinkin, dumb, Teir. Evil Grin Plus...Teir can't do anything for her like Mender can...in the furs that is... Wink *sigh*

Gazelle

Blasphemy, em! I'm sure Teir's got a lot of animal in him for bedtime... :twisted:

But yes, Mender is hot and a healer, so I think they would all get together with Yun for a four-mating!

Gazelle

Modern Mender!

Oh, and I do know he looks preppy. he's meant to!

jadengems

Quote:
emerald

I for one don't understand why Ember left him for that stinkin, dumb, Teir. Evil Grin Plus...Teir can't do anything for her like Mender can...in the furs that is... Wink *sigh*

*chuckles* Them's fighting words, girlie.

At least in my book.

Mender does not hold a CANDLE, not even the smallest little, trickling, sputtering flame to my Teir.

I think Teir was written for me by Wendy...hehe. Can you say egocentric, much...hehe.

Anyway, I like Mender with Yun, myself. Mender was great as a quick fling...kind of how I would be with Brad Pitt. I'd sample him, but wouldn't want to keep him. He's just too girlie with those curls for me.

I've said before Mender WAS just getting interesting in the Recognition storyline and it disappeared. Finish that blessin' story already, people!!

~Gem

emerald

You know it's all in good fun Gem. Wink
I really hope that's DC's new EQ project, the Recognition storyline I mean. :P

Kitt

Quote:
Gazelle

Modern Mender!

Oh, and I do know he looks preppy. he's meant to!

:roflmao: Gazelle, WHAT is he wearing??? :rofl:

jadengems

Quote:
emerald

You know it's all in good fun Gem. Wink
I really hope that's DC's new EQ project, the Recognition storyline I mean. :P

*winks at em* Of course, and ditto.

~Gem

Shypaw

Wouldn't it be nice if Ember recognized Mender after being with Teir for all these years? :twisted:

NightskyDarkstar

Oh god no Shypaw, that would be terrible. Im seriously thinking that the only reason Ember and Mender hooked up in the first place was he was the only reasonably unattached male that paid any attention to her, and he only did it for selfish reasons. Mostly to get closer to her parents. Thats like marrying for family money. Its wrong.

It was said earlier that Mender said he didnt wanna play a blond Rayek to a black haired Cutter. But that being said, Mender reminds me waaaaay to much of the early Rayek. In many respects. He makes sure EVERYONE knows about his magical abilities. When he is with someone, he lays claim, which doesnt sit well with the elven society overall. Hes also very pushy with Ember. Doesnt want her to make decisions for herself, he wants to make them for her and have her follow.

Mender is a blond version of Rayek.

JadeOwl

Aagh God no!

Okay, there are some ways in which this is true. But Mender reminds me of a mix, really, between Skywise and Rayek. He was ready to go out and experiment (because he was curious, not because he was getting anything out of it) among humans.

Also, ponder this. Everyone always seems to think about how Mender was Ember's first love. But you ever think about how Ember might have been Mender's? And in this it is very close to Rayek, and I sympathise with Mender for the exact same reason that I sympathise with Rayek.

He's been in love with his first love, working to win her over to him, for years. Centuries, even. This yound upstart comes in, wins her over in a matter of days, shatters most of what you've relied on in life, and expects you to accept it gracefully.

Alright, so maybe you could. But honestly, if this happened to you in real life, would you? I woudn't. I'd be angry and depressed and try my dangdest to get her back.

A year ago I was a certified Mender-hater. And look at me now!

He's ever-so-much-cooler when he's not fighting over Ember, though. Mender/Yun all the way.

NightskyDarkstar

I think Yun is to independant to tolerate someone who broods and "owns" like Mender does.

JadeOwl

Well, as long he's brooding after someone else and just having a fling with her it's alright, right?

Kidding, kidding.

But I know what you mean. I can see many sharp talkings-to about it, though, not total rejection.

"Mender, love, I'm my own person. I'm not your possession, remember? Now stop acting like I am and let me live my life."

NightskyDarkstar

Or her wacking him over the head with a big stick. Remember, Gobacks arnt adverse to causing bodily harm. Besides, he could heal whatever she does to him anyway.

Allura

Quote:
Gazelle

Modern Mender!

Modern, human Mender!

Sorry, I had to... :D

Anyways, I think Mender and Ember made a good couple, but I think that just those two wouldn't work out alone. Tier balances Ember. I'd like them as a threesome, but I don't think it would really work out either. I do however see them ending up like Cutter/Leetah and Nightfall/Redlance, where they're kind of a foursome, but not really.

Fluffy

Ever since Tier came along and seemingly "stole" Ember away I always got the feeling of a kind of lonliness and longing. It could be because Mender finally tasted what it's like to love someone and be loved, and once that's taken away from it he feels lost, rejected, and bitter. Of course, Mender could have always handled things better, but I blame his wolf-ish side for being so brash ;D

I think I like the idea of Mender being with Yun, she keeps him in check, and won't just get angry if he ends up irritating her. She'll get angry *and* do something about it instead of just walk off. That's her father in her, I know it ^^

Allura

I still think Mender, Ember, Tier and Yun would make a good foursome. That's just me, I guess.

But, anyways, anyone notice that Mender met Ember when he was a little tot?
[img:240430f0af]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/vaiya/Elfquest/MenderEmber03.jpg[/img:240430f0af]

Fourleafclover

Awww - I never noticed that before.

Nightsea

Cool image from the background of them as kids!

Not a tot Mender:
[img:033afe6007]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/Night_sea/buffesthealerever.jpg[/img:033afe6007]

Surprised
--NS

lunakat

from tot to taut!

Suzene

Given the last couple of weeks of comics, I'm surprised to see that Mender's thread hasn't gotten a bump.

The concluding chapters of Mender's Tale certainly made an impression on me and, though I enjoyed the story and feel that the harsh consequences played out very well, I'm certain at this point that it's not a positive impression so far as Mender is concerned. The trick he played on the two sisters left a vile taste in my mouth and the more I think on it, the more I dislike it.

I suppose I'll just put out the concept that's been sticking in my mind -- I do feel that Mender is guilty of rape. I know that's a heavily charged word and I don't mean to use it lightly. In many ways, this is a situation that doesn't gel with the ideas we usually associate with rape: there was no violence, there was no malice on Mender's part (though I think there was monumental selfishness, particularly given the obvious distress that he saw he was causing Anamara), and I think that he did have more in mind than only using the girls to figure out the human puzzle -- he believed he was helping.

In the end, though, what he did in both cases was a combination of obtaining consent under duress and reducing the ability of the girls to willingly consent to him via the use of his powers, both of which are serious sticking points for me. His ploy involved threatening Morisaitai with loss of face and Anamara with the suffering of her beloved unless they had sex with him. On top of this, he used his powers to make them more amenable to his plan, either by clouding their judgment, stoking their physical receptiveness, or both. It was all about what he wanted -- his plans, his desires -- and, since their refusal was inconvenient to him, he decided to make it all but impossible for them to refuse.

Honestly, I think I'm always going to have some distaste for Mender as a character after this. His manipulations in this case feel way too much like Winnowill's to be comfortable and dismiss the desires of both women involved to a degree that can't be excused by good intentions.

mournsong

But think of the story possibilities if the Mender character develops that way! Grin

Hmm, as to Mender as a person, I'd probably find him arrogant, manipulative and selfish, if fun to be with. But as a story character... well, I thought the story was interesting - became more interesting than I expected. And I kinda like stories that screw with the characters - most notoriously Mender in this case. I do think he sort of realized what he's done, in the end. And it could go either way after that - either he continues on the path he was on, or he repents and mends his ways. Let's hope he's learned his lesson...

2passions

Quote:
Allura

I still think Mender, Ember, Tier and Yun would make a good foursome. That's just me, I guess.

But, anyways, anyone notice that Mender met Ember when he was a little tot?

Isn't that Wink? :? ....Anyway Mender, He's young i guess and needs to learn a lot, so he shouldn't be jugded to hard...But he is quite sure of him self from time to time...

I loved him and Ember together to..foursome...I don't know about that.. Yun and Ember, maybe just a threesom? :D drop Yun *statles, how mean of me..*

mournsong

It's definitely Mender. Wink is older than Ember... besides which, his hair isn't nearly that curly.

Come to think of it, I made a picture once that features both of them, at that age. It's, um, here: http://home.online.no/~annkleiv/mender/img/art_alies_3.jpg

(And don't forget to visit the site, if you haven't before: http://home.online.no/~annkleiv/mender/ There's lots more!)

Embala

Quote:

It's definitely Mender. Wink is older than Ember... besides which, his hair isn't nearly that curly.

Come to think of it, I made a picture once that features both of them, at that age. It's, um, here:

(And don't forget to visit the site, if you haven't before: http://home.online.no/~annkleiv/mender/ There's lots more!)

The brothers are so cute together! You cannot only draw wolf cubs Wink

Icemoon

they are so cute mournsong !!!!!!!!!!!!

krwordgazer

Quote:
Suzene

Given the last couple of weeks of comics, I'm surprised to see that Mender's thread hasn't gotten a bump.

There has been some discussion of the new installments in this thread:

http://www.elfquest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383100#383100

[quote:1a578c4bc2]The concluding chapters of Mender's Tale certainly made an impression on me and, though I enjoyed the story and feel that the harsh consequences played out very well, I'm certain at this point that it's not a positive impression so far as Mender is concerned. The trick he played on the two sisters left a vile taste in my mouth and the more I think on it, the more I dislike it.

I suppose I'll just put out the concept that's been sticking in my mind -- I do feel that Mender is guilty of rape. I know that's a heavily charged word and I don't mean to use it lightly. In many ways, this is a situation that doesn't gel with the ideas we usually associate with rape: there was no violence, there was no malice on Mender's part (though I think there was monumental selfishness, particularly given the obvious distress that he saw he was causing Anamara), and I think that he did have more in mind than only using the girls to figure out the human puzzle -- he believed he was helping.

In the end, though, what he did in both cases was a combination of obtaining consent under duress and reducing the ability of the girls to willingly consent to him via the use of his powers, both of which are serious sticking points for me. His ploy involved threatening Morisaitai with loss of face and Anamara with the suffering of her beloved unless they had sex with him. On top of this, he used his powers to make them more amenable to his plan, either by clouding their judgment, stoking their physical receptiveness, or both. It was all about what he wanted -- his plans, his desires -- and, since their refusal was inconvenient to him, he decided to make it all but impossible for them to refuse.

Honestly, I think I'm always going to have some distaste for Mender as a character after this. His manipulations in this case feel way too much like Winnowill's to be comfortable and dismiss the desires of both women involved to a degree that can't be excused by good intentions.[/quote:1a578c4bc2]

I tend to agree with you, Suzene. Coercing and manipulating someone into sex is at least next door to rape, anyway.

The way it seems to me is that Mender does not take humans seriously enough to really listen to them. I can't imagine him ever running roughshod over an elf like he does these two young women. If Ember told him that touching him would make her feel defiled, would he still have even wanted to talk her into joining? Would he not have respected her feelings? I think he would. . .

The problem I'm having is that it's not just that he doesn't understand human ways. It's that he doesn't treat human ways with enough respect to even try to understand them. And he ends up turning the women into objects.

lunakat

typical! Mender really is that guy.

Embala

Bet nobody knows ... assumed he hasn't erased his wolfblood - no hint of this given! - he must have been asleep most of the 10000 years of waiting.

You can only guess how long his periods of being awake make all together - 50 years? ... 500 years? ... 1000 years? ... could imagine even more --- maybe a healer can make himself aging slower.

I decided he's about Strongbow's or Leetah's age in the first issues ... more or less 500 years. Wink

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

mournsong

I've been wondering about that myself... I think most of the Wolfriders in the Sun Village decided to go to sleep along with their kin in the New Land... but then when Dart is awakened by Serring in the New Blood issues... Mender is there, along with Newstar - and their parents had already died by then... Also a thing I wondered about is his lack of face fur - considering he's only a few years younger than Dart - although as a healer, he could probably remove it if he didn't want it. Well, the recent stories indicate that he's not against a few changes here and there if so inclined - to put it mildly. (it could also explain that HOT body of his! Grin )

Vang

I don't know if it has been pointed out in this thread yet (I'm skimming), but I believe Mender was also the first male elf portrayed in full frontal nudity. Brownie point to whoever can name the issue/scene where that occured. ;)

Embala

Mender - male, frontal, nude ... and headfirst Winkhttp://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/OQ/OQ20/DisplayOQ20.html?page=29

Easter EggQuest 2012 found

Vang

Embala wins! :D

Sorry to tease all the Mender fans hoping for something steamier. ;)

mournsong

There must be an opportunity for another cartoon in there somewhere... but for the life of me, I can't think of one right now. :roll:

MultiMEDEA

Quote:
Embala

Mender - male, frontal, nude ... and headfirst Grin
http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/OQ/OQ20/DisplayOQ20.html?page=29

That's our Mender, always happy to flash it for the audience. Grin If I weren't so enamored of the Mender/Yun thing developing, I love to see him with ShenShen, too. :D

The Mender from "Mender's Tale" 3-5 is just too OOC for me to really comment on. Here's hoping the Final Quest will show him in better form (in all sorts of ways. :twisted: )

mournsong

Quote:
mournsong

There must be an opportunity for another cartoon in there somewhere... but for the life of me, I can't think of one right now. :roll:

Nevermind, I thought of one. Grin It'll probably upload it tomorrow though - it doesn't take long to draw, but I'm tired and not gonna scan anything anymore tonight. But - stay tuned!

mournsong

And here we are! Mender, full-frontal, totally not work-safe! (or is it? Wink )

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/Chibikokitsune/ElfQuest/Mendernaked.jpg

Nibblet

:roflmao: :roflmao:
I actually checked behind me before I clicked that! There's nobody here but me Grin

Embala

And here we are! Mender, full-frontal, totally not work-safe! (or is it? Wink )

Big_laugh

Easter EggQuest 2012 reserved for ShadowStep found

Embala

I've found a very different picture of Mender - from one of my covers:

Mender looks like he was stuffed by Batman's tailor XD

This pic reminds me - I like the rough friendship Mender and Flam have developed during the Shards War.

Easter EggQuest 2013 found

Embala

*bump* You are needed on top, healer!

And I wanted to present his most recent duds ... much better than his one on the title and more omfortable for sure Wink

*scratches head ... there's missing something* Must to look this up again!

Easter EggQuest 2014 reserved for Shadowstep