ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Build a "Grab Bag" for the Month!

krwordgazer

This is a discussion thread for a new monthly stories/poetry/art challenge that many of us have decided we'd like to do. It's a "grab bag" in which the artist or writer has to create a work combining a group of items or elements chosen by us all. :D

Each month everyone who plans to contribute can name one item each that they'd like to be part of the story, poetry or art. The challenge is for the artist or writer to put all those elements into the work. (But you can only put in an item if you plan to contribute-- so we don't get people coming and naming items that are impossible to write about or draw, because they have no intention of trying to do it themselves.) Each month we will use this "build a grab-bag" thread to come up with a new set of elements for the next month.

(BTW, if you post an item because you plan to contribute, and then life gets in the way and you can't, that's ok. We'll all understand. :) )

So the challenge now is to list a group of items or elements that need to be in February's stories. Once we have some, I will open a "February 2006 Grab-Bag" thread.

Everyone with me? :D

Ok, I'll name the first thing that would be a part of February stories:

Since it's February, I choose something Valentine's Day related. The stories, poetry or art have to include a romantic gift.

redshine

Hmmm - sounds interesting ...

Now what to choose *scratches head* ... a dagger

JadeOwl

I'd like to see a story with a thunderstorm

The_Wylde_Wynd

Aw, Jade stole mine. Well then I'd like to see a fox.

Btw, how are we decideing who grabs what?

xenophile80

In the other grab bag writing things that I"ve done, all the elements listed were used in the story. Makes it fun and kinda challenging, but, if it feels impossible I suppose one could omit an element or two. But, I suppose the rule on that is up to wordgazer as she started the thread.

Oh, another question, kr, you've mentioned before that the stories should fit in the EQ-verse, but it wasn't mentioned in the start of this thread. Should we assume that to carry through, or that the occasion non EQ story be allowed? Just wanting to make sure there is no confusion. :)

Thanks!

krwordgazer

Well, I think the stories should have some relationship to Elfquest. They don't have to be in the EQ universe, but if not, then they should have some EQ characters in them. They don't have to be about known EQ characters, but perhaps then they should be characters living on the WoTM.

In other words, whether the story is EQ canon, or EQ alternate universe, or EQ non-canon, it should in some way be EQ. Does that make sense? It just seems appropriate for this forum to have stories and art challenges that are EQ challenges in some way.

Does anyone else have other thoughts on this?

(Another possibility would be to include stories where the only relationship is that the characters are EQ fans or EQ readers. I've seen at least one fanfic done like this.)

Another question: Should we set a limit on how many items or elements are in one challenge? Right now we have to write or draw something containing a fox, a dagger, a romantic gift, and a thunderstorm. If we get too many elements the challenge becomes too hard.

What would be appropriate? Not more than, say, six items/elements? We could cut off the submissions for the grab-bag for the month after the first six have been posted. People would then have to wait for the next month to post their item if they missed the cut-off point.

Does that sound fair?

JadeOwl

Sounds good. I agree that it would be good to relate it to EQ...otherwise it's too random and more easy.

The_Wylde_Wynd

Ya, we don't want this to get to confusing. When should we start to write?

Thallasia

I really like this idea!

Let's see, what to add to the mix.... a family member

The_Wylde_Wynd

Quote:
Thallasia

Let's see, what to add to the mix.... a family member

Whoes family?

Kathleen

I want hmmmm......

Gee, that's tough....

I know! A necklace!

Thallasia

Quote:
The_Wylde_Wynd

[quote:51b5b93e2a="Thallasia"]Let's see, what to add to the mix.... a family member

Whoes family?[/quote:51b5b93e2a]

Of whoever the story/drawing is about. :)

krwordgazer

Ok, that's six. I'm going to start the thread now. :)

The grab bag for February is officially full.

krwordgazer

It's time to start building a grab-bag for March. :D

Kathleen

I want rain, but not a rainstorm. The slow and steady rain that builds up in April and May and October and November, misting over the mountains and fills up the cracks in the soil.

joselle

something [color=red:fbbd35b726]new![/color:fbbd35b726]

8)

The_Wylde_Wynd

How about something to do with the equinox? Or maybe, just for the crazy-fun of it, something pertaining to madness ala the March Hare. The rain idea's really nice to!

krwordgazer

Let's do only one item each, ok? So it's either March madness or spring equinox for Wylde Wynde. Which one? :)

The_Wylde_Wynd

Hm... march madness sounds like more fun. :twisted:

Skya

A treewee! Cute little buggers they are. I'll give this a shot. Get my drawing muscles back in shape.

Arthis

What is "March madness"?

The_Wylde_Wynd

Well I'd say it's probably any sort of crazy/zany/wako-ness that takes place during the spring time. Of course the inspiration for my suggestion, The March Hare,'s type of madness stems origenaly from a rabit's mating season (I beleive).

SnowWren

Could there be a tragedy in the midst of the madness?

krwordgazer

Ok, we've got:

Rain
Something new
Spring madness
A Treewee
A tragedy

Due to the largeness of scope of some of these, I really think five things are enough for this month. Can I declare the March grab-bag full?

krwordgazer

Ok, I'm going to open a new grab-bag thread for March. :)

Nightsea

I don't mind being obvious...so I'll suggest that for April
we use an EGG. Not necessarily THE egg, or Egg himself,
tho those would count.

Colored like a bunny would bring, plain, or colored like
they might be on the World of Two Moons or even
the homeplanet of the Elves...up to you!

Is it an eggselent idea?
Hehehe,
--Nightsea

krwordgazer

An egg. Yes, great idea, Nightsea.

Might I suggest also, a rabbit? Or a ravvit (which appears to be more like a hare)?

SnowWren

Could there be a sacrifice? Not as in someone being sacrificed/put to death, but someone giving something up for the good of another; something done out of love?

The_Wylde_Wynd

I'd like to see a practical joke!

LadyArill

A bowl of fruit. For some reason that just popped into my head.

Siwan

erhm...

Maybe something Dark??

with that I mean darksending or .. something bad is happening :oops: :roll:

krwordgazer

Wow, that was quick! We already have six elements, which is the limit, so here they are for April:

An egg
A rabbit or ravvit
Self-sacrifice
A practical joke
A bowl of fruit
A dark or bad occurrence

Everyone can start thinking about how to incorporate these into a story or artwork. I will open April's grab-bag thread when it gets a little closer to the end of the month. :)

krwordgazer

So for May-- anyone want to put something in? :)

SnowWren

An eclipse

Siwan

Remembering something / Someone ?

krwordgazer

I choose:

candlelight

The_Wylde_Wynd

Something mythical/mystical.

lunakat

Quote:
The_Wylde_Wynd

Something mythical/mystical.

Don't elves count? Wink

The_Wylde_Wynd

Grin Ok, mythic/mystic besides the elves. Wink

JadeOwl

Hm. Growth in a relationship (enemies to friends, friends to lovemates, lovemates to lifemates, or something of that ilk. Could just be friends to better friends, but it has to be visible).

Or is that too specific? :?

LadyArill

How about sorrow? Goes with the remebering, I think....

krwordgazer

Ok, that's six. May's Grab-Bag is full.

Here are the elements:

An eclipse
Remembering something/someone
Candlelight
Something mystical/mythical (besides the elves)
A relationship that changes/grows (for the better, I think, is implied)
Sorrow

This should be a challenge! :D

krwordgazer

We probably ought to start talking about June.

My suggestion is: Something Hidden. :)

ingvild

A misunderstanding, possibly brought on by language differences. Could be human/elfin language, or human/human, but even between the elves - even if they speak the same language, different groups like Go-Backs and Sunfolk are going to have different words and concepts. Like Leetah not knowing what snow was, or the Wolfriders not having a word for desert.

JadeOwl

How about....laughter.

SnowWren

Hmmm...

A wedding

(I know, that's not something elves do... so that means there will have to be humans this time around)

Joan_M

A scent. Any scent, just so long as it's lingered upon and described. The sensory world of wolves and Wolfriders doesn't get explored enough.

The_Wylde_Wynd

I'd like some music.*can't get Davy Jones's song out of head*

Elsa

If I've got it right, this is for art as well as fiction?

The May grab bag is really inspiring me!

JadeOwl

Yep! Definitely art as well. :D

And Joan, I totally agree with you. I'd like to see the senses of the wolfriders explored more.

krwordgazer

Ok, that's six.

So for June we have:

something hidden
a misunderstanding (possibly caused by language differences)
laughter
a wedding
a scent (lingered upon and described)
music

June's grab-bag is full; I'll be posting the thread when the month begins. :)

Nightsea

I haven't yet composed the story, but here's the image
I'm going to use for June:

:)
--Nightsea

krwordgazer

I am so busy right now I can hardly breathe, and so behind on reading fanfics and viewing art that I'm beginning to despair of ever giving my fellow members the attention they deserve. :oops: :?

But anyone who wants to propose an item for July's grab-bag, please do so now.

Also, everyone remember that just because a month is over, doesn't mean you can't still write a story for it! :) So if anyone still wants to write a story for June and doesn't get it done by the 30th, don't worry, just get it done when you can! :D

The_Wylde_Wynd

[quote:31b5ea260a="krwordgazer"]Also, everyone remember that just because a month is over, doesn't mean you can't still write a story for it! :) So if anyone still wants to write a story for June and doesn't get it done by the 30th, don't worry, just get it done when you can! :D[/quote:31b5ea260a]

Oh thank you thank you thank you [i:31b5ea260a]thank you![/i:31b5ea260a]*clonks out from sudden lack of pressure*

SnowWren

Suggestion for July:

Someone who is struggling w/ a decision/doesn't want to make a decision

JadeOwl

Don't worry about it, Wordgazer. Deal with life. All our writings and art will still be here when you get back. :hug2:

For July:

Becoming lovemates, or lifemates [u:b6e2372c63]without[/u:b6e2372c63] Recognition.

krwordgazer

Thanks, Jade Owl. I'm finally getting a little time now-- though my husband being in school means there's even more competition for use of the computer! :roll: Grin

I've responded to some of the stories that have been on the forum longest without being read, and I hope to keep going. :)

Anyway, for July I suggest the first two elements (making-not wanting to make a decision, and life/lovemating without Recognition) be exacerbated by having to deal with them in:

the heat of Summer.

:P

krwordgazer

We've only got three elements in July's grab-bag so far:

Making/not wanting to make a decision
Lifemating/lovemating without Recognition
Summer heat

Anyone else have an element? Or do I set up July to have just three?

LadyArill

Hmmm...an elf performing a human gesture of some sort. Be it a hand signal, a kiss...whatever...

innie

What about jealousy? It's a rare thing among the elves, but it does happen. And it's easy for us to identify with.

lunakat

I know this is sort of cheesy and american an all... but

a struggle for independence? How about a struggle for [i:9482d27467]personal[/i:9482d27467] independence?

krwordgazer

I like it!

So what we have is:

Making/not wanting to make a decision
Lifemating/lovemating without Recognition
Summer heat
An elf performing an action or gesture usually attributed to humans
Jealousy
A struggle for personal independence

The last few elements dovetail right into what I already had in mind to do. :mrgreen: Be prepared for. . .

A Venka coming-of-age story!

July's grab-bag is full. I'll go make the thread now . . .

krwordgazer

Time to post suggestions for August. :D

innie

What about coping with death or loss?

LadyArill

A fight between two people wh are usually close.

Sharee

Making a mistake

JadeOwl

Loving physical contact that isn't sexual - hugs, holding hands, cuddling...

The_Wylde_Wynd

Something shiny!

LadyArill

[quote:322c9620f9]Something shiny![/quote:322c9620f9]

:clap: :banana: :roflmao:

MY SISTER!! :hug2:

SnowWren

Fog

lunakat

Coping with death or loss
A fight between two people who are usually close
Making a mistake
Loving physical contact that isn't sexual
Something shiny
Fog

That's six!
(with extra credit for including Lady Arill's sister!) :P

krwordgazer

Thanks, Lunakat! :D

Grin Grin about Lady Arill's sister. . .

I'll go make the new thread.

Hmm, this set of elements doesn't bring anything immediately to mind the way last month's did. . . That's ok, though, I'll try to think of something. . .

krwordgazer

Ok, it's time to suggest elements for September's Grab Bag. I'll just go over the rules again for newbies:

Each person can only submit one element for the month. Once six elements are submitted, the grab-bag is full. The six elements are then listed at the beginning of a new thread I will open for that month. Submissions of art and writing are encouraged, but not required, to take place during the month in question-- but if anyone wants to go back later and do new stories/art for that month's grab bag, they are welcome! :)

Anyone who submits an element should make an attempt to draw or write for the month's grab-bag. This rule is to prevent someone suggesting an element that is impossible to work with. Wink

So let's fill the grab-bag! :D

SnowWren

The first frost of autumn

(Okay, so there are many who might live in climates where autumn doesn't occur until later, but around here--the leaves are starting to change, and the weather is [i:94e9a58bec]wonderfully[/i:94e9a58bec] cooling off, so fall is coming, and the frost will appear soon--I hope!)

asinas

First brush of love, or something similar?

Nightsea

insect(s)

--NS

The_Wylde_Wynd

Something that does not go acording to plan.

krwordgazer

And I choose . . . something worn on the head: a hat, headband, etc. :)

So here are the elements for September:

A sending (of any kind) that goes unanswered
Autumn's first frost
First brush of love (meaning romantic love, I assume)
An insect or insects
Something that does not go according to plan
Something worn on the head: a hat, headband, etc.

When September rolls around I'll open a grab-bag thread. :)

asinas

Yes I meant romantic love, sorry to be unclear about that. Heh the list sounds fun!

krwordgazer

Time to start a new grab-bag! :D :D

LadyArill

A mother keeping vigil.

The_Wylde_Wynd

Rain, in dreary drizzle form.

SnowWren

severe illness or injury with a long recovery

Nightsea

A rock.

First simple thing that poped into my mind...all these other
suggestions seem complex so I thought I'd try to balance
it out with something plain.

--Nightsea

PS: I added one to the Sept. thread today. I had
originally planned to skip this month but then remembered
the rule that if you suggest an item you should write or
draw something...so there it is.

PPS: There's new writing in my
crossover fanfic
thread too...in case anyone cares.

krwordgazer

Fear.

So that fills the grab-bag. I'll make the thread today if I can. :)

krwordgazer

I'm late starting this for November, so everyone please post an item as soon as possible, ok?

I propose

Harvest

(I know, the Wolfriders aren't farmers, but the Sun Folk are, and I bet the Gilders had some sort of gardens too. Also the humans have farms when the Wolfriders live on THorny Mountain. Oh! And the Wolriders can harvest dreamberries!)

JadeOwl

feathers

Blackfell1

being thankful/giving thanks

Can be one or both and about anything.

SnowWren

A turkey

krwordgazer

Quote:
SnowWren

A turkey

Ok. The elves call the wild turkey a "wattleneck," I believe. Don't know whether wattlenecks have been domesticated by humans or not. Perhaps by Shuna's time. . . but we don't know whether there are any wattlenecks on the continent where the Djuns rule.

One more item? Anyone? :)

Nightsea

The color blue.

Happy Thanksgiving,
--Nightsea

krwordgazer

Ooh, she's lovely, Nightsea! Love the feathers!

Ok, the November grab-bag's full. I'll start the thread. :D

krwordgazer

Ok, time for elements for December.

Not at all sure I'll have time to contribute a story this month, so I won't suggest an element.

LadyArill

A warm moment between a family.

SnowWren

I haven't posted for November (yet), but I hope to today, so here's mine for December:

Snow (LOTS and LOTS of it)

Joan_M

A chief's failure (oh, dramaz!)

Nightsea

Gonna make this interesting...

something transparent/guazy/clear/see-through

Synonyms: cellophane, crystal clear, crystalline, diaphanous, filmy, gauzy, glassy, gossamer, hyaline, limpid, lucent, lucid, pellucid, permeable, plain, sheer, thin, tiffany, translucent, transpicuous, vitreous

You get the idea I hope.
--Nightsea

krwordgazer

Ok, it's December 5 already and we still only have five elements. So I'm going to add one more, even though I may not be able to post a story:

A child's toy, or something a child plays with.

And now I'll start the thread. :)

krwordgazer

Time to build a grab-bag for January! :D

asinas

....Um...A Birthday please? Since my birthday is this month after all, pretty please?

NEXT PAGE