Commenting has moved to the Elfquest homepage! Read more

This forum is no longer active, though you can read the archives. Discussion has moved to elfquest.com itself, where you can comment on individual postings.

Wolfrider's character banners

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Hi!
    A few people have commented on the Nightfall banner that I made for myself below.
    Well, actually, just for kicks I decided to make a bunch of character banners based on the style of my banner.
    So, if anybody wants one of these, lemme know.

Once I get more of these done, I'll upload 'em in this post here.

• edited October 2012
    These banners are awesome, Wolfrider!

A perfect fusion ... you managed to show many facets of the character. Different ages, designs, moods and art styles coming together in a harmonic way. Excellent cut'n past and layering job- they are seamlessly recombined! Clap

Tried to figure out the rule you followed, if possible:
    - the portrait picture from the portefolio, respectively from the pinup calendar
    - a cut-out from a tribe centerfold
    - the character plate, of course
    - and the action scene from the pinup calendar (or a fitting substitute)

Can I coax you in continuing the collection? Puppy_eyes There are so many good characters missing!

I suggest to add the Nightfall banner to your post - in case you decide to change your banner. Or something else happens to your sig ... we had such "surprises" too often during the last few years.
  • edited October 2012
    Wow, these banners are absolutely fantastic! Smile

Lovelovelove them.
    Can I request Strongbow...? Moonshade must be lonely!
  • I added a link to this thread to my blog "A website I love".
    Section "AVATARS AND BANNERS FOR EVERYONE", last " + ".

My eyes see them with joy!
  • Thanks all. There will be more soon. Leafpath, Strongbow will be added next. Smile
  • alright. Finally added a Strongbow banner. Smile
  • edited March 2015
    My eyes see with great joy!
    I love the intent look you captured in the big portray. The tribe cut-out shows his angry, mistrusting trait - and the other two emphasize his skills as master archer. They are melting together - calm concentation and unerring rage, comparably young age and a tribal elder.

Despite these awesome character shots and well combined art it was the name banner that caught my eye first. I like how it starts like a flag, connected to the bow - and ends ... no does not end, but is continued by hand and tunic of the action shot. Clap

I'm a sucker for completation Shoot_me ... and there's a bunch left!

Bearclaw - done
    Clearbrook - done
    Cutter - done
    Dart
    Dewshine - done
    Ekuar - done
    Ember - done
    Guttlecraw
    Joyleaf - done
    Kahvi - done
    Leetah - done
    Moonshade - done
    Newstar - done
    Nightfall - done
    One-Eye - done
    Picknose
    Pike - done
    Rainsong - done
    Rayek - done
    Redlance - done
    Savah - done
    Scouter - done
    Shenshen - done
    Skywise - done
    Strongbow - done
    Suntop - done
    Timmain - done
    Treestump - done
    Two-Edge - done
    Tyldak - done
    Voll
    Wing
    Winnowill - done
    Wolfpack
    Woodlock

At some point, I will make banners for characters that either didn't get a back cover portrait from the WaRP originals - ...
    Adar
    Aroree
    Greymung
    Nonna
    Oddbit
    Old Maggoty
    Petalwing
    Sun-Toucher
    Toorah
    Trinket
    Tyleet
    Venka
    Zhantee
    etc.

How about ... a "Banner of the Month"? Free to your choice - or by member request?

I request Suntop/Sunstream ... for PCoquelin and because Ember is missing her twin.

btw: I'm permanently editing this post Wink
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for the comments, Embala. I could certainly do a banner or two a month. By request sounds good.

I just added Suntop just below Ember's banner. I wish I had a better portrait image for the far left of the banner, but it's all right the way it is I guess. Enjoy.

Edit: Just added Timmain and Kahvi!
  • ...and now I've added Pike and Clearbrook. Churning these out pretty good today since I don't have class. Smile

At some point, I will make banners for characters that either didn't get a back cover portrait from the WaRP originals - Aroree, Sun-Toucher, Toorah and Nonna & Adar come to mind - or weren't around then - such as Tyleet, Venka, Zhantee, etc. I suppose I'll have to make their name scrolls myself. We'll see.
  • WOW .... these are some great additions. And such a fast job!

I love how the Suntop banner pretty much repeats Ember's - the same bent to the right in the first to pics, almost corresponding expressions, the similarity of the third one anyway - true twin banners. I have no idea where the forth pic is taken from - bet PCoquelin would know!

Pike is fun - what else to expect! Wink

The many facets of Clearbrook - sof and dreamy, determind and protective, faithful - and fierce. Perfect choice for the "action pose".

Timmain's banner is my fav among the new ones! It gives me the impression that she's dancing to an alien tune.

I had to compare directly that you tweak the name scrolls in direction and fall - without loosing quality. I'm sure you will build wonderful ones by yourself. I love the prospect to get more!
  • Embala said

WOW .... these are some great additions. And such a fast job!

I love how the Suntop banner pretty much repeats Ember's - the same bent to the right in the first to pics, almost corresponding expressions, the similarity of the third one anyway - true twin banners. I have no idea where the forth pic is taken from - bet PCoquelin would know!

Pike is fun - what else to expect! Wink

The many facets of Clearbrook - sof and dreamy, determind and protective, faithful - and fierce. Perfect choice for the "action pose".

Timmain's banner is my fav among the new ones! It gives me the impression that she's dancing to an alien tune.

I had to compare directly that you tweak the name scrolls in direction and fall - without loosing quality. I'm sure you will build wonderful ones by yourself. I love the prospect to get more!

Thanks Embala. The far right image of Suntop in his banner is from A Gift of Her Own.

As for the action image in Clearbrook's, I kinda wanted an image of her with short hair, so...

Just added Savah and Rainsong (the latter was tough as there's really not that many good, colorful images of her out there to use...but it worked out okay eventually).
  • More than okay! You've captured Rainsong's dedication to family and motherhood beautifully, Wolfrider.

Well succeeded Savah - the "lovemates" portrait cut out this way emphasized her exoztic beauty. I like the that the tribe picture and the "action sequence" sort of mirror each other and document her look in different time periods.

With this progress it will not be long before one more of my favorite three characters will pop up!
  • Embala said

With this progress it will not be long before one more of my favorite three characters will pop up!

And they are? Smile
    I could do them next..
  • Strongbow Smile

and Venka - but it's not her time yet.

The one I'm waiting for is ... Two-Edge! And I'm very curious what pictures you will choose for the missing ones.
    *hinthint ... the forge-shot from OQ #7 (Donning coloring)... hinthint"
  • Wonderful new banners! My favourite is suprisingly Kahvi, you captured her "self" very clearly and crispily in the banner.
    Can't wait to see what you'll do with Tyleet, Aroree, Ekuar and Two-Edge Smile
  • Embala, Moonmoss, you didn't have to wait long at all! Two-Edge is up. Hope you enjoy.
  • Heart what I see! Thank you for "upgrading" Two-Edge in your todo list, Wolfrider Smile And you gave him love - powerful choices and composition. Looks like this needed a little "change of rules" to make him cooperate "nicely".
    The mastersmith is really filling his banner ... very appropriate for a Half-Troll. I like especially the "portrait" shot - it shows his insanity and wicked trait as well as his wits.

When the given characters are done - and you are still not tired of making these small gems - would you consider to give more Trolls a stage? And ... Petalwing?
  • I will certainly do banners for some of the principal trolls - Picknose, Oddbit, Old Maggoty, Trinket, Greymung and Guttlecraw - at some point. Petalwing too.

Anyway, just added Bearclaw and Joyleaf, both of which were hard to do because they're so close together on their portrait and also the backgrounds were complex. Next: Treestump!
  • edited October 2012
    Clap You've solved the technical challenge perfectly - the banners show no hint of a "problem".

I love your choice of pictures. Joyleaf #2 is one of my faforite pictures of her ... maybe even before the "big" artworks. And #4 from the card with the motherly pride is lovely. Same for Bearclaw - you've banned his wolfish and miscievous character traits and rough charm in the banner. I have a hard time to identify Bearclaw #2 and #4 - very familiar but I cannot name the source.

Just for my curiosity: Why have you "left your ways" and skipped the tribe shots - the "violet" tan of the "Beloved Dead" centerfold is strange - and the pinup plate in this case? No access? Or was it just for the better harmonic effect?

Looking forward to meet Treestump, the muscle elf Wink *going to add a bunch of Trolls and a bug to the listing Yay*
  • The images used in Bearclaw's banner are as follows left to right: 1980 portfolio portrait, 1993 Ten Chiefs centerfold, back cover portrait, EQ #4 1979 and finally, from the cover of the DC Comics manga-sized Wolfrider! book, which also appears, in B&W, on the first page of Wolfrider! part 4, I think.

As far as the Beloved Dead goes, I've had a hard time finding a decent sized version of that online, so..
    The pinup calendar images have good action shots of the characters, though I don't always use them since sometimes they may look a tad goofy, like the Skywise one, or something about their pose just gets in the way, like Pike's. My main criteria has always been full color Wendy Pini images of each character. I wanted to mainly use images from portfolios, book covers, comic covers, calendars and the like, but there are a couple of times where I used comic (or colored graphic novel) art, such as Joyleaf, Two-Edge (by request Smile ) and Rainsong. I just hope they look good.
  • edited August 2013
    The Ten Chiefs plate! Headbang3 Too focused on the Beloved Dead to remember the obvious one! No wonder it was familiar - I've used it myself for collages. Thanks for the informations.

My main criteria has always been full color Wendy Pini images of each character.
    Thumbs_up Quality for quality!
    I wanted to mainly use images from portfolios, book covers, comic covers, calendars and the like, but there are a couple of times where I used comic (or colored graphic novel) art, such as Joyleaf, Two-Edge (by request Smile ) and Rainsong. I just hope they look good.
    Your choices are excellent, Wolfrider. I enjoy very much what I see ... my Two-Edge request included. (I love this early picture because he looks somehow different there - more "elf-like" to some degree ... though he shows definitely no elfin features.)
    I was only curious - sometimes such a "rule" is a major part of the challenge that is not abandonned without need. And I like to know a bit about background and "making of" Wink

As far as the Beloved Dead goes, I've had a hard time finding a decent sized version of that online, so..
    Elfquest Fan Art has a complete collection of centerfold scans as reference pictures. Looks like original size for me.

EDIT: It doesn't allow me to attach a link. But - you are a member there. You should know better than me!
  • Treestump's been added.

One thing I've kinda been working on is an alternate Nightfall banner, just in case somebody wants one of her, since I'm kinda hogging her at the moment..
  • edited July 2013
    A handsome guy making a good looking banner Wink The "action pose" must be one of the most recent ones - after he started his metal working. Seeing his pictures gathered and lined up like this illustrates how much his appearance changed from the very beginning til now.

It's your right to be possessive with YOUR banners - even more with the one of your favorite character. And the first one that started this collection - as far as I got it Wink
    Making another one, distinctly different yet of comparable appeal - that will be a new challenge. And a result I'm looking forward to see.
  • Will you go on with this? Puppy_eyes *hoping for more treats*
  • edited August 2013
    I like how your choices for Scouter complement each other. The relaxed youth from the character plate, of course. The gazing pose, doing his job proudly ... the intense portrait shot ... and an almost casual scene (familiar, but not attributable for me now). The colors and styles are going well together step by step - the cherry on the cake!

Same for Lord Voll. Once again you have chosen a very intense, speaking portrait from the comics. The strong prescense from the Characterplate is nicely complemented by the ghostly "beloved dead" (you made it even more erie the way you've melted him with the background) and a determined action pose. Harmonic, fluent composition of the parts.

Excellent job, Wolfrider! Clap

I'm looking forward to meet our most prominent Troll Smile

*shhh ... how about an upgrade for One-Eye?*
  • One-Eye's up. At some point this century I'll get Picknose done. Soon-ish.
    It doesn't help that I just started working on Newstar's banner....
  • edited August 2013
    Havn't forgotten about your banners, Wolfrider! I follow every new post with loving interest and joy. Smile

One-Eye ... he will always have a special place in my heart. Despite the ery lethal Madcoil incident in Wolfsong his death was the irst elfin loss for me. From this point of view I lave it that his howling pirit from the Beloved Dead centerfold is included. You found a beautifully fitting portrait and of course there is the character plate, the way how I mostly remember him. It's strangely fitting that the action scene from the tribe plate shows him sightly blurred - a background character. He hardly had a grand entrance before his death scene.

Sweet and lovely Newstar ... you almost did a Newstar through the ages! The cute big-eyed preteen, the Sunfolk beauty, the motherly love in the portrait shot from the healing scene and last not least a most recent, almost High-One-like look. The last one is so different in style - yet fits in very harmonic in the given rosy-violet background.

Looks like Picknose is trolling you! Wink Take your time ... some day the puzzle will fall together. How about ... Ekuar?
  • You create wonderful banners, Wolfrider ... you know how I love to see them come. Bow_down Your own Nightfall character banner is fab!

Nevertheless I wished to do a name banner for you ... just to see whether I can do - do it differently enough. Wink I seems appropriate to drop it here ...

... hope you don't mind. And of course I hope you will like it a bit Smile - no other hopes or wishes implied.
  • Thanks, Embala! I think I'll use that one now. Really nice and Nightfall-y, so yeah right up my alley. Thanks so much.