Commenting has moved to the Elfquest homepage! Read more

This forum is no longer active, though you can read the archives. Discussion has moved to elfquest.com itself, where you can comment on individual postings.

Why Representing Gay Characters Matters in Kid-Friendly Entertainment

I found this blog post about the impact of having a gay character in the new animated film "How to Train Your Dragon 2" incredibly moving.

The post is exactly why I'm so excited for Elfquest to finally fully come out of the shadows in its depiction of those with same-sex attractions, and why the days of needing to fear a backlash for showing such gay characters in kid-friendly entertainment are over.

It's SO encouraging to think that in the real world, we are making such progress towards the attitude that Wendy and Richard have always depicted the elves having on such matters: love is love is love and and there's nothing dirty or wrong about showing such consenting love amongst adults in kid-friendly media.

To think that Elfquest could have the same impact on the next generation on this issue in the same way it already has on issues such as gender equality, environmental awareness and horrors of war on my generation makes me giddy.

Now, the real question is WHICH characters are going to be in the same-sex pairing that Wendy and Richard have hinted will happen in Final Quest???

Comments

• Oh you had this discussion on the show! While it defeats the purpose of cub bearing through recognition I think it's a great idea to show that love is love no matter the gender with same sex recognition
  • SweetLeetah31 said: While it defeats the purpose of cub bearing
    The elves are perfect example of the fact that there's a lot more to love and lovemaking and relationships than just procreation. Just like in real life.
  • Most definitely, my thought process was just in line with the result of the recognized elves, that along with deep everlasting love and a bond that is unbreakable, cubs are always produced.
  • Cutter and skywise are recognized soul to soul,and eventho they didn't bear cubs together,they have reared cubs together which I think is another great example of love is love :)
  • But part of my point is that cubs aren't necessary to have a real, meaningful lovemating or lifemating. Think of Treestump and Clearbrook.
  • Of course not,I agree....the love between two ppl doesn't hinge on kiddies or no kiddies....I'm anxious to see who it will be and how,I'm a sucker for the way Elfmamma develops the love stories,the gazes and the embraces..pure gorgeousness

You spoke on Dart in the show and it got my vivid imagination running lol!
  • SweetLeetah31 said:
    • You spoke on Dart in the show and it got my vivid imagination running lol!

Yeah, I just kind of think of Dart as an elf that prefers what the lads have, just as Skywise prefers what the maidens have, based on his lovemating with Shushen and his close friendship with Kimo. But who knows, it could end up being Shenshen and Timmain that become the same-sex couple in Final Quest for all we know!

:D
  • Thornbrake said: Yeah, I just kind of think of Dart as an elf that prefers what the lads have, just as Skywise prefers what the maidens have, based on his lovemating with Shushen and his close friendship with Kimo.
    Not to mention lifemating with Talmah. Yes, I know it was Serrin he recognized (obviously) and Talmah was already Serrin's lifemate when it happened. I just always assumed it was an equal pairing between the three of them.
  • RobRob
    edited June 2014

P.S. It's OK to talk about same-sex attraction in EQ without having to reassert a hetero-normative counterpoint right away every time.
  • I think it is way past its time for this.
  • Thornbrake said: But part of my point is that cubs aren't necessary to have a real, meaningful lovemating or lifemating. Think of Treestump and Clearbrook.
    Love is much more than just sex....
  • Thornbrake said: To think that Elfquest could have the same impact on the next generation on this issue in the same way it already has on issues such as gender equality, environmental awareness and horrors of war on my generation makes me giddy.

Now, the real question is WHICH characters are going to be in the same-sex pairing that Wendy and Richard have hinted will happen in Final Quest???
    While the changes in equality have been slow, I am so pleased to see progress in the right direction. I was so excited when I heard the news about 'How To Train Your Dragon' and now am even more excited to see how EQ is going to make its continued influences.

I have my own ideas of who the same-sex pairing may be, however, I do wonder if it will be new characters we haven't truly met before.
  • Heather said: I have my own ideas of who the same-sex pairing may be, however, I do wonder if it will be new characters we haven't truly met before.
    Do tell?! You're right, it could be two background characters or new elves that we haven't even met yet.
  • Thornbrake said: Do tell?! You're right, it could be two background characters or new elves that we haven't even met yet.
    Dart and Kimo would be too obvious. But possibly a another pairing with Dart.
    Part of me has wondered if we will see Maleen and Vurdah. We have already seen Maleen a few times in the background and with the sudden death of their long time lovemate, perhaps they became even closer.

• edited June 2014
    If Dart isn't hovering toward the gay end of elven omnisexuality, then Wendy Pini has fooled us all. There did seem to be some sort of set up for him in the prequel, didn't there? They whisked away Kimo, right after he had that little talk with Dart about his being unable to commit. That works if Dart is about to find himself a new flame/"steady glow"... or it could just have been Wendy's way of ending that pairing.

Why would she conclude the Dart/Kimo ever-so-friendly pairing if she didn't have plans for one of them?

On the other hand... we do have two new female characters. Chitter and Korafaye. Maybe the pairing will be two girls? Who knows?
  • Chitter/Freetouch seems to be one of those who prefers what the lads have. Particularly if her conversation with her mother is any indication.

I'm very curious about how things will work out, but only time, and ElfMom, will tell.
  • edited June 2014
    Maybe it's Korafaye then. Maybe Shen Shen? Maybe Freetouch doesn't discriminate. Maybe she just hasn't met the right girl yet.
  • Ooooh... ShenShen!

"Shine where you love!"

TOTES SHENSHEN!!!
  • I think it will be Pool and Sust. :P
  • Personally my votes are for... Shukopek and Khorbasi!

Yes, I know Shukopek talks about "talking a wife" in the Special, but that's just because he - at that time - still thinks that the way it has to be.
  • Heather said: Part of me has wondered if we will see Maleen and Vurdah. We have already seen Maleen a few times in the background and with the sudden death of their long time lovemate, perhaps they became even closer.
    I've always sort of assumed that they were a couple (and that that when Ruffel was around they were a... triple.) I mean romantically, emotionally, the whole shebang.
  • Tavie said: I've always sort of assumed that they were a couple (and that that when Ruffel was around they were a... triple.) I mean romantically, emotionally, the whole shebang.
    Agreed. I don't know that I really want it to be them, though...the big official same-sex pairing. I mean, they can still be together without being in the spotlight. I feel similarly about Dart and Kimo. I would prefer that the couple who gets the spotlight is someone new, like Sust and Pool. ;) I mean, we've seen them before, of course, but like...they still have plenty of time left in the story.

I'm thinking super long-term here, and that's probably my downfall. *laughs* But Final Quest is supposed to be the end of Cutter and co.s story, yes? I want there to be more about who will remain in the story after FQ, so that the transition is a little easier. We're definitely getting more development for Ember's tribe...I'm just hoping that the same-sex couples don't all rocket into space at the end of FQ. XD
  • SweetLeetah31 said: While it defeats the purpose of cub bearing through recognition
    *laughs* No it doesn't. Two elves who happen to be the same sex and a couple can still recognize someone else. Recognition doesn't discriminate. ;)
  • @Tam, a tri-relationship yes i agree, but the same sex couple wouldn't procreate....which is fine. I didn't mean for my statement to spark so much,i was just speaking on the rules of recognition as a way to ensure that the pack has a next generation as it applies in EQ....my thoughts go to when leetah was concerned about recognizing cutter,one of her fears was the cubs she knew recognition would bring
    I'm not saying that procreation is the main reason for recognition, just as in real life it's not essential to ppl falling in love...I was just pointing out that one factor
  • Yeah, a same-sex pairing wouldn't procreate, but the elves rarely procreate outside of Recognition anyway. Like you said, Recognition is around to make sure the pack has a next generation, and it'll do that just fine...because procreation IS the main (though not the only!) reason for Recognition. A same-sex Recognition, like Cutter and Skywise, doesn't defeat its purpose, but strengthens it, creating a larger network of support for parents and children, and strengthens the tribe as a whole by bringing elves together in more ways than one. :)
  • edited June 2014
    I was pleasantly pleased this past weekend at Denver Comic Con, where we (Cheeky Dingo Entertainment) were promoting the ElfQuest Adventure game.

I had placed the EQ game prototype right next to our HouseBoy Board game (http://cheekydingo.com/games/houseboy.html) which has a rather overt gay cover, of course. I did not notice one single parent the entire weekend attempt to shelter their children's gaze from falling on the HouseBoy games and mercy. Some even pointed it out to their families, including young children.

Clearly much of society has moved past any previous hangups about same sex imagery.
  • Tam said: I don't know that I really want it to be them, though...the big official same-sex pairing.
    Whoa! Please don't take hints that Wendy and/or I make and blow them out of proportion. While everything we create as part of the story is 100% true and meaningful to us, we definitely do not intend that it be seen as coming with some "big official" stamp of approval. We like to avoid shining obvious spotlights. Readers are free to infer all they want, whatever they want, but we give Elfquest to you only as a portrait of our deeply held beliefs, never as any kind of gospel.
  • TamTam
    edited June 2014
    RichardPini said: Whoa! Please don't take hints that Wendy and/or I make and blow them out of proportion.
    Uh...I wasn't? O.o Or that wasn't my intention...I was just saying that I'd rather see younger characters be the ones to fulfill the whole "we're finally going to see two characters create an obvious, romantic same-sex pairing" thing.

Perhaps to clarify further, what I meant by "big official" is simply that there's no questioning the bond. Dart and Kimo, for example...it's never stated clearly what their relationship is, not in any place I can remember. Many assume they're lovers, but they could be just really close friends...we dunno. I don't want another Dart and Kimo. I want to see a relationship between two members of the same sex that is unquestionably romantic. That's all I mean.
  • Tam said: Perhaps to clarify further, what I meant by "big official" is simply that there's no questioning the bond.
    Thank you for making that clear. We see the word "official" and, from long experience, tend to take it to mean, well, what the dictionary says it means - coming from a source of authority, which is us. As for the rest, only time will tell. These threads are rife with speculation; people wish and hope - some of it strongly expressed - for many things.
  • Well, I did mean it in terms of coming from a source of authority, but I guess our sources are a little different. While you and Wendy are, of course, the ultimate authorities, I mean more like...from the characters involved. And the characters are, of course, an extension of your own authority.

There's tons of speculation, and y'all throw out so many red herrings. The banter and the wondering is fun, but I won't believe anything until it's official, and by that, I mean either directly from the story, or from an obviously marked announcement from either you or Wendy.