Commenting has moved to the Elfquest homepage! Read more

This forum is no longer active, though you can read the archives. Discussion has moved to elfquest.com itself, where you can comment on individual postings.

Elfquest: Final Quest 9 (cover)

EQFQ-9-FC-FNL-4x6-1af3f

The misfit trolls return to battle the eager Go-Backs, to the delight of Two-Edge, who forms an astonishing alliance. Meanwhile, Rayek hungers to partake of the increased magical power of those who dwell within the Palace. But Cutter’s greatest concern is Angrif Djun’s massive war fleet, which seeks to crush all elves and their allies.

Comments

• Nice one! I'm happy to have a break from the five scenes covers. Lots to chew on in the description but not too much to read in to on the cover.
  • It this maybe the one where Venka gets hurt? And Rayek saves her?
  • edited February 2015
    I'm feeling a bit worried now. These trolls look a lot less misfit than the ones who keep lurking around Treestump and Clearbrook.

Isnt Rayek in in the Djunslands? At the end of Shards he seems to leave the palace in the same place as Ember's tribe.
  • What is Two Edge's "astonishing alliance"?
  • .Meanwhile, Rayek hungers to partake of the increased magical power of those who dwell within the Palace.
    This bit worries me. If he wants to enjoy the restored Palace and High One lifestyle, well, of course! If he's just having regrets about the path his life has taken, it's to be expected. But please tell me he and Winnie aren't going to be villains again. (Well, not that she's stopped...)
  • edited February 2015
    Don't worry Manga- Rayek is probably just going to have a few angsty moments before meeting up with Venka.
  • edited February 2015
    Trolls! Finally. And the of the dangerous kind!

And we will meet new elves. I hope some of the recent Go-Backs will become well defined characters.
  • Yay! New cover! :-j

Actually been looking for this for a while, but of course you got to it first.
  • If those are the same misfit trolls, then this tunnel connects to both the Holt and the Sun Village.
  • ... and the Frozen Mountains. Are Venka and the GoBacks still in the same Frozen Mountains? Where are they trying to get to? Cutter's holt? Or did the Trolls come to them? If so, why? (Is this why Two Edge made her the shield?)
  • I think the entire underground of Iceholt may be filled with tunnels, after all; Two-Edge spent a few millenia walking around in his tunnels while planning the big Elf-Troll war.

• Ah, Venka-fluff! But in danger! X_X
    I also welcome the once-scene cover for a change.
  • The tunnels go from the Fathertree holt to the Frozen Mountains. Picknose tells Cutter and Skywise at the start of the quest, when they are captured as slaves
  • Right- because the trolls from the north tunneled south- then greymung had his revolution and blocked off the passage. Until the day the northern trolls invaded and kidnapped Greymung's trolls and marched them back.
  • Seems this cover Sparks a lot less speculation than the others. I wonder if it has something to do with this being a single image (instead of a compilation of images like the previous 2)
  • Suppose to. The cover and the explanation text are pretty clear about what's going to happen; there'll be a battle between the Go-Backs and the Misfit trolls, judging by the image in the old troll caverns where the First War took place.
    However, something I'd really like to know is who does Two-Edge make that alliance with?
    I don't think it'll be with the misfit trolls, rather doubt he'd do anything to even potentially harm Venka.
  • edited March 2015
    The misfit trolls return to battle the eager Go-Backs, to the delight of Two-Edge, who forms an astonishing alliance.
    Okay, the first part hardly leaves question, even more as it is illustrated in the cover - there's combat between Go-Backs and Trolls ahead.

But WHY is this to Two-Edge's delight? Does he still follow the ieda that an fight between Trolls and Elves can settle his inner conflict and define "who he is"?
    Is his mind still so twisted that he thinks he can protect "his maiden" whilehe enjoys a "battle of decision" between her tribe folk and the Trolls?
    Or is it simply the delight of a mastersmith who see his weaponary needed and well used? 8-X

This astonishing alliance - what does that phrase imply? An alliance so extraordinary and surprising we would never have expected? An alliance never seen before? Or ... is it a little overemphasized to make the announcement more thrilling ... and it will not be SUCH a BIG revelation in the end? Or ... Wendy made up something beyond our imagination. !Nonna

Whether something is astonishing for me depends on my expectations and on what I think to know. Under this conditions an alliance between Two-Edge and the misfit Trolls WOULD be astonishing because I believe (think to know) that he wants to keep harm from Venka. Maybe - he becomes an ally of the Trolls in order to protect Venka? Or ... how's this: He'll actually form an alliance between Go-Back and Trolls? I'd call this astonishing \m/ - and it would be sort of a conclusion for his inner conflict as well. Coexistance.

Just playing around ;) with ideas, possibilities, craziness and ... impossibilities?
    So who is around to form an alliance with - be it with Two-Edge personally or the Go-Back tribe?

There are the Misfit Trolls - they are supposed to be the villians. An alliance would be kind of a turnaround. Maybe there's a splinter group, tho ...
    Are there other Trolls, too? Are there still slaves, former Holt Trolls enslaved again after Picknose was driven away? Is Two-Edge plotting with them for a while?
    The Misfit Trolls have traditional gender roles, judgeing from what we've seen so far. What about the females? Are the sick of it and ready to revolt? Is Two-Edge plotting with them?

There may be Rayek and Ekuar. We know that those two and Venka will meet at some point ... and that it is likely during a battle. The elf shadow on top of the cover holds a pose I easily associate with Rayek. But he(?) wears Go-Back duds and I miss the high ponytale ... actually it could be anyone.
    Would an alliance be called astonishing? I don't know. It would be likely that Rayek suppoerts his daughter. A cooperation with between Two-Edge and Ekuar, the technological mastermind and the rockshaper? Interesting ... butastonishing? Two-Edge and Ekuar were as close to friends as it could be in the beginning of KotBW.

Are there Humans? So far we have not met a human tribe so far north but we know that they could exist. An Elf/Human alliance would be rather astonishing in my opinion.

Or are there unknown Elves? Venka was worried about foreign sending ... why should she when there never was an encounter with (potientionally hostile) foreign elves?

btw: What meant Two-Edge when he said: "I am full of surprises?" in FQ #7? Anything special maybe? Is he forming this alliance already?
    Meanwhile, Rayek hungers to partake of the increased magical power of those who dwell within the Palace.
    This and his look on the cover of FQ #8 indicates for me that Rayek is in another part of the WoTMs than Venka ... and aims for another goal right now. He wears very differrent clothing in the teaser film when we see him with Venka - and he looks like he has regained/increased his powers. Not the worn out wanderer who struggles with Winnowill's spirit ...
    Then again - the Palace could be moved back to the Frozen Mountains in order to make the Holt save for Sunstream's call ...
    The Go-Backs would necessary band of protectors, backed up by selected Wolfriders. The Trolls would have a real reason to attack the Go-Backs again. And Rayek would head to the north ...

Of course it's as likely that Venka and her tribe want to visit Cutter (and the Palace), use the old Troll tunnels and run into the Troll warriors close beneeth the Holt.
    But Cutter’s greatest concern is Angrif Djun’s massive war fleet, which seeks to crush all elves and their allies.
    Their allies. Allies again ... Picknose's and/or Drub's Trolls? They dwell underground and not the best support on sea, I bet. Just some scattered elf-friendly Humans? Or is it about Two-Edge's "astonishing alliance" again?

For the weird note - and alliance with Winnowill's spirit would be astonishing , wouldn't it? :!!
  • Embala said: Or are there unknown Elves? Venka was worried about foreign sending ... why should she when there never was an encounter with (potientionally hostile) foreign elves?
    I have this weird feeling that the other elves Venka was worried about were basically other Go-Backs (mainly because they're the only elf-tribe to've ever lived in the Frozen Mountains) maybe some who considered Zey to have been a rightful chief, and/or does not think a magic user should ever be chief(tess) of the Go-Backs, even/especially when that magic user is the daughter of Kahvi.

Embala said: Just some random elf-friendly Humans?
    Well... there are Shuna, Shukopek, Khorbasi, Tingeh, Molli, Daboi, "Orphan Andy"... wouldn't say those are random.
    However, one human I'd love to see turn up again is Padki, he'd probably have children on his own by now.
  • Sorry, wrong vocabulary: "scattered" Humans.

Who's Orphan Andy?
  • What if Two-Edge's astonishing alliance is with Treestump? Just a thought.
  • Simple ... and great!
  • Well... I'm guessing that Sunstream would have relocated the Palace by now. Cutter wanted him to do that in order to preserve the holt and the Wolfriders. That means, most likely, that the Wolfriders would have remained behind, in the Holt- right? At least I'm assuming- because, otherwise, what's the point of the relocation? So... maybe the Palace needs new defenders? Maybe the GoBacks are stepping up to plate and traveling there in order to be the soldiers of the Palace- like they always been.

Two Edge must have connected their lodge to the old troll tunnels and helped them journey that way.
  • Embala said: Who's Orphan Andy?
    http://elfquest.com/orphan-boy/

lunakat said: Maybe the GoBacks are stepping up to plate and traveling there in order to be the soldiers of the Palace- like they always been.
    Dunno why, but I have a feeling they might cease to refer to themselves as 'Go-Backs' not, as Rayek said during his Little... flip-out in KoBW, because they'd lost their way to go back to the Palace, but because they are already there, soldiers of the Palace as you said, so it's no longer their "goal", so to speak.
  • Go Backs always kind of get the short end of the stick from the other elves, so I hope they show everyone up now, especially since they have Venka with them.
  • edited March 2015
    And where is Picknose? Still in "the New Land"? He is too far from the Frozen Mountains , even on another continent, to be of help or form an alliance. But will they stay or leave with the Palace? We know from future quest there are Trolls in the Palace.

EDIT: And doesn't Venka look suprised on the cover, as if she wasn't expecting the Trolls to be there....
  • You really think Picknose would do anything or go anywhere if the alternative was sitting his ass down and having a long nap and some worm tarts?
  • Haha, no! He is too lazy to do anything!
    I was just wondering which Trolls were in the Palace in the FQ. My best bet was that they are the decendents of Picknose, since they are the "kindest" among the Trolls.
  • Or Queen Drub's ... they are probably the most advanced ones.

But why should just the "most kind" Trolls go with the Palace? Trolls and Elves have proved already that they can co-exist and cooperate. Rembember Cutter's discussion about the Palace? Elves, Trolls, Preservers - they all have the right to be in the Palace.

The more fierce one are probably the more active and curious ones ... more likely the ones who are interested to travel with the Palace to new mining grounds.

btw: I' don't consider Picknose so lazy at all. He managed to stay King for 10,000 years. He must have done something right.
  • edited March 2015
    Well okay, I should have said, the ones who don't "hate" (don't know a better word!) the elfes that much, only a healthy dislike, because elfes are so much different from them. And isn't Queen Drub a descendant from Picknose?
    Lazy is a big word. But I don't think he will be travelling halfway around the world, he would most likely send his family, being 10, 000 years and all.

I don't think the Misfit Trolls will be going with the elfes in the Palace........
  • I think Picknose likes his comforts and there's nothing wrong with that, considering how hard he's worked for them.