ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

lunakat

Saying something like "That's the story they want to tell" isn't really saying anything. Anybody can tell a story. But are they telling a good story? What makes a good story? "And then he woke up..." might be how I choose resolve all of my stories- but I think we can all agree that is not usually the most satisfying ending. By and large, the Pinis have told some really great stories- but not just because that's what they wanted to do. The stories are great because of solid character development, a well thought out plot in which the ending ties back into the beginning, the quality of the narration and dialogue, the fact that interesting themes are woven in and followed throughout the story, a satisfying resolution, and the fact that the story reads well on multiple levels- for adults and kids. That's what makes their stories great. It's like artwork. Anyone can draw anything and say "Well, that's the picture I want to draw." But that doesn't mean it's good art. If you try to draw a house, for example, but you don't understand perspective and shading, or can't draw a straight line... chances are that isn't going to be the best drawing ever... unless, of course, you have some killer design skills or manage to make it awkwardly charming. If you do understand all those tools, and decide, strategically, not to use them-- that is a different matter. You know what you are doing - and it will probably show. Storywise, I think Wendy did that in fudging the timelines a little bit. She couldn't make everything fit exactly- so she chose t be strategically vague. And that was smart. It worked well and got the effect she needed of making the important thig a fit. Nothing about that bothered me. The Kahvi business bothers me because it kills my suspension of disbelief. I can choose to overlook it- but that ends up having to be a conscious choice, when it should happen naturally. It does the same thing to me, story wise, that realizing someone used the clone brush multiple times or the pre-programmed grass brush, when illustrating in Photoshop, does to my ability to appreciate a drawing. It just kicks me back out of it. It doesn't bother you much- and that's great. We aren't probably going to agree- and I guess that's a good thing, because it means you are not having your suspension of disbelief snap like a circus tragedy! If that's working for you, I don't really want to convince you otherwise. Me? I'm still enjoying the story. I think the good elements well outweigh this one issue. I actually don't blame the Pinis for Kahvi and Tier backstory tangles. I'm blaming whoever wrote the Kahvi miniseries. I don't want to know who that is- but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Wendy. This isn't Wendy's style- she tends to think things out better. As for Tier - I think that was already written into the Wild Hunt... So who knows? Cheers!