ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

lunakat

Okay... I think the thing about it is... Elfquest never tried to be a fictional work that had no connection to or didn't attempt to comment on our world. It sort of set itself up as a form of commentary. Wendy herself said in an interview that she and her husband "believe that the purpose of fantasy is to symbolically make a comment on the human condition." And Elfquest has always done that. It doesn't exist in a fantasy bubble- it never attempted to. Shuna's story is a comment on domestic violence. Surge was a comment on how attempting to control the people you love is an expression of fear, not love- and doesn't lead to good things. And the Original Quest was a good analysis of the nature and origins of prejudices. Wendy also explicitly states, in the same interview, that Elfquest "tackles themes of racial prejudice" using the elves as examples. So when the Wolfriders meet the Sunfolk, and judge them immediately according to their skin color- I can't think that's a coincidence. And when it turns out that the dark skinned characters are the peaceful, civilized, good guys- and the pale people are the "barbarians"- I can't assume that's anything but a deliberate subversion of stereotypes. And that was great! And it was a good thing that one of the three main characters and about half the supporting cast had dark skin. I think that is something that your readers have always liked- because it does express the "liberal values" that Wendy (in the same interview) says you guys hold and want to express in your comic. So what's wrong with making the dark characters turn pale? Well.. the elves aren't the only dark skinned characters. You also have the humans. By and large, the humans are collectively bad guys. A couple of them were not too bad- Shuna, for example, and Nonna were elf allies. And yes, I noticed, even as a kid, that Nonna was lighter than Adar and his people. Shuna has blond hair and blue eyes. She walks into the tribe of insect people (who are darker) and schools them on how to treat their women. I overlooked that as an issue, because I knew, based on the fact that the Sunfolk were dark, that Elfquest was very pro multiethnicity. (And also, cus... man, they treated their women bad!) But now, by making the Sunfolk get paler, you are pretty much setting up a fictional world in which most (if not all) of the good guys are going to be pale, and most of the bad guys are going to be dark. And, it's like Kathleen said, the story doesn't exist in a bubble. It interacts with readers who are a part of this world we live in, and bring real life experiences and viewpoints to their understanding of the story. Technically... sure, you can make it fit. If it were a necessary thing, intrinsic to the plot and important to moving the story forward, I'd totally go with it. But it really, honestly doesn't seem necessary. Granted, I don't know for certain where you guys are going with this (since I'm not the author)- but I'm guessing the elves are turning back into high ones. So they are probably regaining their original conehead shape. Which means, I guess, getting taller and paler. But why paler? They don't need to get get paler to get that point across. You could have dark coneheads or high ones. It would still fit with the story. There's no reason they have to get paler to get the point across that they are turning back into high ones. Taller is enough to communicate that. So it's unnecessary, has negative connotations for readers, and sets up a problematic dynamic inside the story. That's my $0.02. Here's the interview I was referring to: https://archive.org/details/SFGTV2_20110228_183000#start/1140/end/1200