ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Silly Questions that Go Unanswered

callidora

Quote:
Bugwort

I can give you a worse image than that, Redshine - how about Cutter, sitting by the creek, biting Skywise's toenails? Surprised Surprised

"Brothers in all but nail-clippings"... Grin

Actually, that image is quite hilarious Grin Grin

scarlettdoll

No, that's disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

And Nowth--how do you use chalk to clean your teeth?

cactus

*Tries to ignore the toenail comments.*

Do the gliders ever get feathers from their clothes in their mouth... or nose?

twinklebug

Quote:
Bugwort

I can give you a worse image than that, Redshine - how about Cutter, sitting by the creek, biting Skywise's toenails? Surprised Surprised

Uncle "ugh!" Bugs.

Grin Grin Grin Eeeeeeeww! Now that image is going to be stuck in my head all day...

Nowth

Quote:
scarlettdoll

And Nowth--how do you use chalk to clean your teeth?

Sorry, I don't know... I asked myself the same question when I read that and then decided everyone else probably knew...

scarlettdoll

Grin well i guess it could be a whitener. Probably tastes horrible tho.

Bugwort

Quote:
callidora

[quote:62ce69776e="Bugwort"]I can give you a worse image than that, Redshine - how about Cutter, sitting by the creek, biting Skywise's toenails? Surprised Surprised

Actually, that image is quite hilarious Grin Grin[/quote:62ce69776e]

And if I'd substituted Leetah for Skywise, probably quite sensual... :oops:

Uncle "Toes!...for some people..." Bugs. Grin

scarlettdoll

no, still gross. Toenails are gross!

Nowth

But toes aren't! You just have to get past the toenails... no pain, no gain! *joins the gross-Scarlett-out squad, just for the heck of it*

scarlettdoll

Grin *squishes Nowth* you can't gross me out. I just don't go in for feet. Foot fetishes are one of those things i can't understand. I'll accept 'em but i don't get em. (and toenails are icky!)

Nowth

For what it's worth, I have no foot fetish. I don't think I have any fetishes whatsoever. Nonetheless I love feet when they're where a lovely person starts. There's something worship-like about it, I suppose, sort of like about be-gloved hands? But "fetish", that makes me think of isolated body parts elevated to sex objects, nah.

*squishymew*

scarlettdoll

i wasn't saying you did. Just that foot-love is something my brain doesn't fully comprehend. I accept the existence but don't understand. 8)

Well, i do like the fat little feet on babies.

Quote:
Nowthcat

Nonetheless I love feet when they're where a lovely person starts. There's something worship-like about it, I suppose, sort of like about be-gloved hands?

Again, I love your way with words and of looking at things. I think that's beautiful!

Kitt

...little fat feet :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Nowth

*Nowthcatty nuzzle*

Just had to uncreepify myself... I get worried sometimes ;)

Thank you, too!

krwordgazer

Quote:
Arthis

[quote:eb49a4c5f8="krwordgazer"]2. If he can take it off and bend it so easy, why didn't he just take it off and bend it into a hook to retrieve his sword during the Trial of Head in Book 1?

Maybe his necklace is made of a gold alloy that is elastic (easily resuming original shape after being stretched or expanded, returning to or capable of returning to an initial form or state after deformation) and not plastic (capable of being shaped or formed, of undergoing continuous deformation without rupture or relaxation)[/quote:eb49a4c5f8]

Good point, Arthis. Maybe the necklace can be bent, but springs back into shape again afterwards. Problem is, that's not the way any gold jewelry I ever had behaves. When it's bent, it's bent.

twinklebug

I like feet because they have lots of cute roundness to them. But toenails are pretty nasty unless they're clipped! I mean, all this lint and toejam gets stuck under them (and the Wolfriders probably have an extra amount of crud getting into their boots!) so chewing on them doesn't sound very appealing to me.

krwordgazer

I think the Wolfriders probably trim their nails with their knives.

scarlettdoll

And thank you Twinkle for ruining the cute lil image of fat baby feet i had in mind with a less cute image of big, crusty, yellow toenails hiding a wealth of dirt. *barfs in Twinkle's general direction*

MaxvonBek

Or maybe they keep them trim the way cats do - by constantly wearing them down on trees! (Cutter didn't really use Newmoon to cut all those notches! :D )

NightAngel

Do they (the elves....hm, come to think of it, the trolls and the humans too) ever have to go to the bathroom ?
I never saw one of them had to do number 1 or a number 2...

Leanan

You did see it, actually. Book Two, Cutter is sick, eats whistling leaves... Wendy said in an interview the leaves aren't the kind of medicine that make you throw up, the poison leaves the body the other way.

Which reminds me, did we ever solve the question of how Tyldak goes to the bathroom? There was a whole topic about it somewhere...

LivietheLurker

I don't think it was ever solved, but I figure those thumb claws have to be good for something.

lostshard

Quote:
NightAngel

Do they (the elves....hm, come to think of it, the trolls and the humans too) ever have to go to the bathroom ?
I never saw one of them had to do number 1 or a number 2...

well in dreamtime you saw a troll taking a dump...it was in pike's dream...he bounced out as a dreamberrie

NightAngel

Ah yes ofcourse: )

scarlettdoll

Quote:
Max von Bek

Or maybe they keep them trim the way cats do - by constantly wearing them down on trees! (Cutter didn't really use Newmoon to cut all those notches! :D )

Ya'll are disgusting!!!!!!!

Leanan

Um, I suppose that includes Richard too, then? Grin

cactus

Surprised Are we still discussing toenails!?! Eeewwww. :?

Leanan

well, find us a new thing to ponder then :P

Kathleen

What do Dart and Kimo use for lube? Do elves ever use lube? If so, when and where?

xenophile80

That answer could possibly fall under the category of the magical elf secretions such as their non-stinky sweat. :D

Leanan

I'm sure there's something... whatever the ancient Greeks used.

cactus

Surprised Grin This was not exactly what I was hoping for... It's one of the things I don't want to know.... :?

Leanan

Hmmm... anyone got something innocent to ponder for a change?

cactus

Grin Grin
I'm empty...

xenophile80

Okay, how about, what the heck *are* Treewees? :?

Leanan

These.

xenophile80

Yeah, but, look at 'em! What the heck are they???

(you guys wanted something more innocent to ponder. this was the best I could come up with)

Nowth

I know! They must be some sort of Cute Furry Mammal. Like me. :?

Leanan

looks like a primate to me. There's critters like that in Madagasgar... the Ai-Ai, I think it was called...

xenophile80

*huggles cute furry mammal Nowth*

I guess a primate would be the closest thing to it... I dunno. They just always struck me as being kinda wierd lookin. Kinda cute, but weird lookin, ya know?

Nowth

Treewees are kinda like monkey rodents...

In German they're treefrogs, but I don't think the translator knew which animal is associated with the word.

twinklebug

Look at those paws! Maybe they're a frog-mammal hybrid!

Quote:
scarlettdoll

And thank you Twinkle for ruining the cute lil image of fat baby feet i had in mind with a less cute image of big, crusty, yellow toenails hiding a wealth of dirt. *barfs in Twinkle's general direction*

You're welcome! Always my pleasure! :D *covers barf with a piece of newspaper* And, while we're on the subject of bodily functions--how do they wipe? I know the Wolfriders probably use leaves, but what about the Sun Folk? Do they use cactus leaves? Surprised And the Go-Backs...do they use snow? :?

Leanan

Um... there are trees in the Frozen Mountains... mainly evergreens though... pine needles not much use...

Snow, yeah. A little cold is nothing to a Go-Back.

But that reminds me... I read in an interview there's an ice age which causes snow all year round at the Frozen Mountains...

So, how do those evergreen trees survive? How does the stuff the stags eat (licken, i suppose, if they're like reindeer) grow?

scarlettdoll

*throws a snowball at Twinkle*
You're just gross!! :P

Leanan

dear me, I hope it was a clean snowball...

Nowth

I'm sure it was one of the yellow ones

redshine

Maybe those stags and so on are just sort of travelling through - like the wandering herds in the tundra? That would explain why they don't starve to death ...

Different subject - my hubby wants to know if female elves ever suffer from PMS (sounded as if he might consider a change ...) Wink

Nowth

They're barely ever fertile, anyway, so I think they don't usually menstruate?

Leanan

No, they don't, according to SaTS... poor little Shuna was so envious of them...

redshine

So am I!!!! (Sigh) ...

But then - if they are hardly ever fertile they could hit the PMS big time just before they are - kind of like *Bang*

And another thing - since recognition is such a big deal - can it ever go unnoticed? Rayek apparently was rather taken by surprise to have a daughter whilst Khavi obviously knew by her daughter's looks who had to be the father ...

Leanan

Me too. (got them at the moment...) Evil Grin

scarlettdoll

yeah it was a clean snowball but only cuz i don't want to touch a dirty one!

Leanan

Grin

This is, quite possibly, one of the looniest topics ever.

krwordgazer

No, Recognition can't go unnoticed. At least, I've never seen it happen.

Kahvi and Rayek's child was born without Recognition.

Here's a nitpicky question: Sometimes Suntop or Tyleet is seen holding a bunny or other small creature in the tree den. Are they pets, or do they just catch something for a while and let it go?

Leanan

My guess is pets. It could be a habit learned from the sun folk.

A wild rabbit wouldn't just let a meat eating creature hold it... at least it wouldn't enjoy being held, and no elf would cause animal pain or anguish by holding it when it's frightened just for the pleasure of holding something soft...

Leetah had a cat and a pet lizard (!) and there were something like dogs...

redshine

Sorry, now you lost me.

I always thought children cannot be conceived outside recognition without the help of a healer and the parties involved specifically asking for it? :?:

Leanan

They can. The Go-Backs have somehow reached the ability to conceive without recognition... they breed like humans...

...and the price may have been the loss of the ability to Recognize. Yun and Sust and Cheipar were all born without Recognition.

For the other tribes it is rare but not unheard of. Two-Spear was born without Recognition and as far as we know without a healer's help as well.

Nowth

I would have thought that the "pets" were wild animals that just liked their elf-friends, not domesticated, not "kept"... just friends ;) but maybe that doesn't make sense since the elves are actually predators, I don't know

Leanan

I dunno, that sounds a bit too Snow White... :P

Nowth

Nooooo they're elves!!! They're good with this sutff dont brnig realisty into it yore hurting my soul

Leanan

Sorry. Maybe you're right. There is a special magic, even, for taming animals. Teir has it. Tanner had it.

*kisses Nowth's soul very gently, to make it feel better*

Nowth

Awwyum!

I wasn't entirely serious -- though I do like to leave realism out of it to some degree... the mechanics behind recognition and so on. Another "fandom shock" -- people who sought to explain it all. (Funny, though, because usually it's me who tries to "explain it all")

Leanan

I have yet to read a thorough explanation for Recognition that would convince me... the High Ones made it, it's magic, it makes good babies... that's enough for me.

Kathleen

It can't go unnoticed, far as I know, but Go Backs tend to breed outsideof Recognition. Venka was born out of it.

twinklebug

*ducks snowball* Hey, your barf's still here under this newspaper...want it? *wipes up barf with newspaper and chucks it at Scarlett* :twisted:

Rainedancer

I wanna know what Leeta and the other Sunvillages use for make-up! Its so bright their eye shadow!

redshine

Just a guess - but (to stick with the magic ingredient throughout this thread) ... - treesap???

StrangeWays

Well it works almost for
everything, but how the
hell did they obtain
treesap in the desert? Wink

redshine

Well, they've got some plants around the well in their village and then there is still the good old cactus ... - hm, on second thought, forget about the cactus - too prickly for silky soft skinned sun villagers ... ouch!

Arthis

cactus sap can be very good for the skin, like aloes for example

LivietheLurker

Animal fats? Grab some prossessed animal fat, mix it together with flowerpetals, grasses, ground up colourful rocks like ocher... and hey presto!

StrangeWays

And Leetah and the other girls
smelling like zwootfat all day. Wink
I think the males would
complain about the girls
odeur instead of the other
way around. Grin

LivietheLurker

That's what perfumes are for, Strange ways. :D The ancient Egyptians used to mix fat with perfume, and put the lump of fat on their heads. The sun and their bodyheat would melt the fat, leaving only the smell of perfume. Besides, perhaps the fat might work as a kind of moisturizer?

StrangeWays

Well, maybe I'm really strange, Surprised
but I like to smell her, 8)
not perfume trying to disguise
the smell of zwootfat. Wink
I think this goes for almost all
people including elves. 8)
So complaints and jokes about
it by the males would happen. Grin

LivietheLurker

Well, we can all just fall back on the old reliable excuse - magic. Wink

lunakat

Myabe they painted with the dust of clay and rock?

Nowth

Quote:
Strange Ways

Well, maybe I'm really strange, Surprised
but I like to smell her, 8)
not perfume trying to disguise
the smell of zwootfat. Wink

May I join you in that "strangeness" of yours?

(Besides, I like Leetah's brown skin better than that green on her lids.)

cactus

Maybe some elves are born with makeup? It shows during the puberty along with the rest of the changes of the body.... :roll:

Nowth

Wouldn't surprise me... we like our nature spirits clean and aritficial ;)

twinklebug

I can't imagine why they'd be wearing eyeshadow in the first place! :? I guess it was just another sign of the times.

scarlettdoll

Grin eyeshadow, feathered hairdos and free love--it was just part of what it meant to be an elf growing up in that time.

krwordgazer

The Sun Villagers love to dress in bright colors. Stands to reason they'd enjoy face paint too. It could be made easily from the sand and clay around the village.

I notice the Wolfrider ladies don't wear eye shadow.

Kitt

They also didn't have gardens Wink

redshine

Hacking away on my keyboard at record speed I couldn't help wondering how elves would touch-type or play piano efficiently as on the whole they are 2 fingers short ... Wink

Nowth

on the other hand they'd make better coders since 8 is a power of two *is obscure*

redshine

*wonders how to crack the code above*

Yeah, on second thought - can you imagine Cutter on his motorbike (since they are immortal - well, nearly - time has now caught up with them) on the way to the office being cut off by Rayek in his limo ...
*giggles at the thought of the following case of roadrage which has to be brought under control by policeman Skywise looking right dapper in his uniform being followed by a crowd of girls drooling over him*

Nowth

Policeman Skywise?! I can certainly imagine biker Cutter and limo Rayek, but... how did Skywise end up with that job? Hee! Maybe the crowd of girls put him up to it though.

redshine

Didn't you hear? A little birdy told him that girls really dig guys in uniform and being a Wolfrider he wasn't so keen on the navy but as a policeman he had the uniform and the occasional ride on a horse because he's training for mounted police and (of course) the girls ...

Nowth

it's just that he never seemed to have to make any effort whatsoever ;)

scarlettdoll

No way! Skywise is a filch and all about "bending the rules". Plus he doesn't have a stick up his butt. Wink Skywise could never make it as a cop unless he was trying to reenact Mel Gibson's character in Lethal Weapon.

Nowth

why are all ya'll so confusing when i'm tipsy? can't you just cuddle me?

scarlettdoll

*cuddles Nowth*

Nowth

*cuddles Scarlett* goddess I should go to bed, but I don't wanna.

scarlettdoll

How come?

Nowth

oh, going to bed means waking up, and waking up means the next day is there, and that in turn means there'll be things to do... much nicer to savour the night, it doesn't demand you Do Stuff(tm)...

scarlettdoll

Grin You're silly Nowth. I don't like to go to sleep cuz I always feel like I could be doing stuff. *scratches Nowth behind the ears*

Nowth

well, I could be doing stuff too, but it's 5:22 AM so it sort of feels like it's too late..

scarlettdoll

By all the lost shards! Go to bed Nowth! Get some sleep!

Nowth

but then I'll wake up! And then I'll have to go to the dentist, and do stuff, and deal with life, and be me, and all these terrible things! I just want to stay here where people like me!

scarlettdoll

No, you'll wake up, your body and mind replenished, you'll go to the dentist (if you need to), take care of whatever it is you got to do and then come back here where people love you. See? It's easy. :)

NEXT PAGE