ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Tech level of Elfquest

Vanguard

Hi I'm wondering as a fan and Writer what is the tech level of the world of Elfquest, specially the Humans.

verde_sol

I guess it depends on what 'era' of EQ you are talking about.

In the current series of stories, from Shards to the Wild Hunt to Searcher and the Sword, I've heard it said that it is equivalant to about the 1300's of Earths European history. Obviously then, Two-Edge's inventions immediately puts this society on the cusp of the Industrial Revolution. There is no telling the amount of social change and innovation that would occur from such a dramatic and disruptive leap forward.

That is part of my excitement for the SatS series; to see how these new 'discoveries' have started to radically change the human's world and then the elves, respectively.

Vanguard

Well it's at the 14th century then good right now I'm do research on the Holy Roman Empire, which was Germany and parts of middle Europe.

Arfurido

But the events in "Recognition" happens 30-40 years AFTER The Searcher and the Sword, eh?

Arthis

And they happend on two different continents, with different cultures.

Thornbrake

Wendy just recently posted this on her Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/wendy.pini):

"By Earth-time standards, in what century is "Final Quest" taking place? Probably somewhere around the 1300s...a Dark Age of ignorance, fear and superstition, to be sure. But then, the tyrants of those earthly times didn't have a Two-Edge. It began in "Shards," Two-Edge's questionable "gifts" to mankind."

RedheadEmber

At one point during the next few issues Angrif is gonna take out his tablet!

Naah... I think the elves are furthest ahead in that department. After all; they got the extremely powerful Sunstream Wi-Fi

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: they got the extremely powerful Sunstream Wi-Fi

LOL I'm not going to get that image out of my head, but it's actually pretty accurate!

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: Naah... I think the elves are furthest ahead in that department. After all; they got the extremely powerful Sunstream Wi-Fi

eqlaff

Tam

I'm wondering about what they were wearing in different eras. Tanner basically invented/discovered tanning, right? If so, what in the world were they wearing before?

lunakat

Tam said: I'm wondering about what they were wearing in different eras. Tanner basically invented/discovered tanning, right? If so, what in the world were they wearing before?

Fur. The kind you grow on your body.

The elves have definitely gone wireless. They heading for the cloud.

Tam

lunakat said: Fur. The kind you grow on your body.

Not according to the pictures of elves pre-Tanner. :p

travelbug

I think the elves already knew some tanning, they did have something to wear during the six chiefs before Tanner. As in scraping and preparing furs and leathers.
But Tanner discovered how to perfect it, and make it silkysoft to a new standard.

RedheadEmber

travelbug said: I think the elves already knew some tanning, they did have something to wear during the six chiefs before Tanner. As in scraping and preparing furs and leathers.
But Tanner discovered how to perfect it, and make it silkysoft to a new standard.

That's also what I imagine. Before Tanner they did have tanned leather, but in the quality the humans wore/wears. Remember how surprised by the quality those Djunsmen who discovered the scrap of leather outside Ekuar's tunnel in Shards#2 were?

What I'd like to know is who the tanners were between Tanner and Moonshade. I imagine Tanner taught someone, who taught someone, who taught someone, who eventually taught Moonshade.

travelbug

In Timmorn and Rahnee's time it was the pureblooded elves who made clothes (and useful things like baskets to carry things in)
I cant remember reading of other tanners between Moonshade and Tanner, but I think must have been at least one or two ?

RedheadEmber

There would've had to. Obviously Tanner didn't live through the chief-times of Goodtree, Mantricker, and some of Bearclaws (because then he'd have been chief) and I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere in the 'Wolfrider' stories that Bearclaw was by-far the oldest Wolfrider alive.
So... unless they just dropped the tanning as soon as Tanner died, until Moonshade decided that tanning was actually pretty cool there'd have had to be other tanners.

Tam

travelbug said: I think the elves already knew some tanning, they did have something to wear during the six chiefs before Tanner. As in scraping and preparing furs and leathers.

Awesome, that makes more sense. Thanks. :)