ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Wolfrider: newbie with a question

moose

ok simple all what are the wolves names?

crescent1325

uh, there are many many wolves. Kinda need to be more specific there bucko. Wink

krwordgazer

Welcome to the forum, Moose! Have fun here!

:D Which era are you talking about? Bearclaw's day, the first quest, Siege at Blue Mountain, post-Kings of the Broken Wheel?

Wolfriders live so much longer than their wolves that each elf has many wolf-friends during his or her lifetime. . .

Nowth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfrider#Wolfrider_characters

[Deleted User]

Welcome Moose!

*puts Moose in a room*

*offers walnuts*

And... yeah... what Nowth said.

*Wanders off due to the call of the Taco Man...*

moose

hmmmm well i haven't read all the books or comics but the wolves from fire and flight book 1 the origianl that go to sorrows end and and any others :D

moose

quiet much lol it's ok i'm busy with a differnt site. but i would really like to no any wolfnames
:)

The_Wylde_Wynd

Quote:
Kojiyumi

Welcome Moose!

*puts Moose in a room*

*offers walnuts*

And... yeah... what Nowth said.

*Wanders off due to the call of the Taco Man...*

My walnuts!*waves "hi" to Moose*

krwordgazer

Ok, well, here's some from the first quest, Moose:

Nightrunner (Cutter)
Starjumper (Skywise)
Briarsting (Strongbow)
Lionskin (Treestump)
Shyhider (Moonshade)
Silvergrace (Rainsong)
Smoketreader (One-Eye)
Trollhammer (Dewshine)
Whitebrow (Clearbrook)
Woodshaver (Nightfall)

moose

thanks for all ur help mabey i'll stick around

nevaratoiel

[quote:499fdf3d39="krwordgazer"]Briarsting (Strongbow)[/quote:499fdf3d39]
I don't want to be nit-picky, but isn't it Briersting?

krwordgazer

Don't think so, Nev. :) Because "briar," meaning a thorn, is spelled that way. I'm assuming that's what the name means-- a sting from a sharp thorn.

[Deleted User]

I think it is Brier, but Brier and Briar mean the same thing, just alternate spelling. Kinda like color and colour... or through and thru.... or annoying coworker and inevitable homicde victim....

krwordgazer

Interesting. I never knew brier was a variant spelling of briar-- though my word processor's dictionary informs me that that is indeed the case. I suppose that I've always read the name "Briarsting" like that because that's what I was expecting to see . . .

I'd have to go home and look it up to be sure, even now.

Foxeye

And here I always thought it was briarstring. *blink* But, archery references aside, I guess that would make not the least bit of sense. Now that I think about it I don't know why a briar would have strings, after all.... :?

[Deleted User]

...why is my brain suddenly taking this in the direction of Sleeping Beauty...?

Foxeye

...mmm...sleeping...

*shakes head vigorously*

MichaelChandler

Miggy, in the houwse!

So. You stayed.

**Offers funny buns**
Don't touch the fishsticks! Koji made them, and she scares me!

*Tries to find Koji and the Taco Man**

Wait for me!!! Iwanna taco!!! EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA SPICY!!!!! :flame1: :flame1: :flame1: :flame2: :flame2: :flame2:

MultiMEDEA

Quote:
krwordgazer

Interesting. I never knew brier was a variant spelling of briar-- though my word processor's dictionary informs me that that is indeed the case. I suppose that I've always read the name "Briarsting" like that because that's what I was expecting to see . . .

I'd have to go home and look it up to be sure, even now.

Yep, brier and briar mean the same thing. It's where the br'er in Br'er Rabbit comes from in the Uncle Remus stories (to name one example). A rabbit that's wise enough to live in a thorny brier patch. :D

krwordgazer

Are you sure, MultiMedea? Surprised I mean, Brer Fox and Brer Bear are also called that. I always thought "Brer" meant "Brother."

But yes, in the Uncle Remus stories, the thorny thing is spelled "briar." I'm pretty sure, anyway. I think that's where I got used to seeing the word spelled that way. I read all those stories as a child. Heck, I read anything I could get my hands on that had talking animals. Grin

MichaelChandler

OOOHHH! Arguement. Go Kmom

**Pulls out foamy finger with "Kmom is #1 (and says "right after miggy")"**

Raenafel

Does anybody have an idea about which wolf is male/female?
Okay, Nightrunner, Starjumper, Briersting, Shyhider, Trollhammer (?) are male...
Silvergrace is female

And what about the others?

Embala

Hmmm...
Patience (Tyleet's) was female for sure.
Lashpaw (Strongbow's): male
Silvergrace (Clearbrook's) : sounds female

Thornbrake

If you check the character profiles, you'll see that they've been updated with wolf friends.

RedheadEmber

Re Wolf genders:

The only ones I could come up with as obviously females were those such 'Holdfast's mother' and 'whoever it was that had a litter during the initial "Ember's Quest" period'...

Raenafel

I mean... How we find out details about wolfrider wolves along the course of the original quest...
First we know the Nightrunner, then Starjumper, Blackfell (in Wolfsong)
In book two we have Briersting.
Book 3 - Trollhammer
Then in book 4 (?) Trollhammer, Lionskin, Firecoat, Woodshaver

These particular wolves imply that probably most usual case is that wolfrider and wolf are same gender, or not?

Embala

You mean whether a special wolf is refered to as "he" or "she"? Would be a lot of rereading ...

Most of the pack from the OQ shown and assigned to their Elf bonds here:

Embala said: Backcover of OQ #12 (WaRP) - the wolfpack probably at the time when the Wolfriders leave Sorrow's End to find Cutter:

There's a "key" about who's who:

There must have been males and females among them ... guessing from names would imply personal opinion, in my case:

Holtfinder/Moonshade - male / possibly female
Whitebrow/Clearbrook - female / possibly male
Firecoat/Redlance (red) - either or ;)
Bristlebush/Scouter - male
Trollhammer/Dewshine - male
Smoketreader/One-Eye - male
Briersting/Strongbow - male
Lionskin/Treestump - female / possibly male
Woodshaver/Nightfall - male
Hotburr/Pike - male / possibly female

Just a guess from the "feel" the names give me. Would need a little project to get some genders confirmed.

RedheadEmber

I think both Choplicker and Patch are males.

Embala

Choplicker IS male :) Prove positive:

http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/HY/HY03/_Hidden%20Years%20-%203_page=1#_2#

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: The only ones I could come up with as obviously females were those such 'Holdfast's mother' and 'whoever it was that had a litter during the initial "Ember's Quest" period'...

Let's see, off the top of my head (and I'm probably missing some), identified canonical female wolves include:
Silvergrace (Rainsong)
Patience (Tyleet)
Crest (Bearclaw)
Curlneck (possibly Tyleet or Clearbrook)
Blackshawl (?)
Squirrelbane (Dewshine)
Lionskin (Treestump)
Farsong (?)
Windchaser (Crescent)

Identified male wolves include:
Nightrunner (Cutter)
Starjumper (Skywise)
Choplicker (Ember)
Patch (Ember)
Smoketreader (One-Eye and Dewshine)
Briersting (Strongbow)
Lashpaw (Strongbow)
Wafrost (Cutter)
Holdfast (Cutter)
Snapper (Bearclaw)
Gnawbone (Strongbow)
Greedygut (Pool)
Scrabble (Scouter)
Tiptail (Pike)
Blackfell (Bearclaw)

Embala

Good list. Thanks.

Thornbrake

Raenafel said: Does anybody have an idea about which wolf is male/female?
Okay, Nightrunner, Starjumper, Briersting, Shyhider, Trollhammer (?) are male...
Silvergrace is female

@Raenafel, I'm curious where Shyhider's sex is identified? That's one that's not springing to mind for me. Is it in the Journey to Sorrow's End novel?

RedheadEmber

One-Eye had a Trollhammer too?

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: One-Eye had a Trollhammer too?

Whoops! I meant Smoketreader! Just went back and corrected my original post.

Raenafel

@Thornbrake right, I looked into the novel.
It also confirms that the other wolf who died in the desert, was Woodlock's. But I don't remember now if his sex is mentioned.

But do the names themselves make any hint, how do you think?
Whitebrow...Firecoat

RedheadEmber

Raenafel said: But I don't remember now if his sex is mentioned.

Like how you're writing that you don't remember if his sex is mentioned.

Raenafel

well, this is just a trace of direct translation from my native language, where
a wolf is always "him"

And I also dislike calling wolfrider wolves "IT" :)

Thornbrake

Raenafel said: @Thornbrake right, I looked into the novel.
It also confirms that the other wolf who died in the desert, was Woodlock's. But I don't remember now if his sex is mentioned.

But do the names themselves make any hint, how do you think?
Whitebrow...Firecoat

Thanks @Raenafel. I think most of the wolf names could go either way.

Trollbabe

I remember that two of the wolves dropped dead before reaching Sorrow's End. So a couple of Wolfriders were mountless when they reached Sorrow's End, unless they had saved some of the pack wolves on the way to the Troll's Caverns.

Off the subject, in the novelization Strongbow kills a lizard in the desert, and divides it between Rainsong, Newstar and Dart (Wing isn't weaned yet.) I guess the two wolves were still alive, or else their carcasses would have been divided up.

Treestump once swore "by all the wolves I've ridden." I can't imagine how many wolves that might have been.

Raenafel

Hmm.. Look what i've dug up here

"..Scouter was clinging upside down for dear life as his wolf raced toward an enormous, long-legged humped creature that looked like the impossible offspring of a deer and a tree sloth. Wolf and rider shot between the monster's spindly legs, and it was all the young elf could do to keep his ravenous mount from trying to bring the gigantic beast down by herself"

Could this possibly mean that Bristlebrush is a female?

Then, another one about Woodshaver

"Nighfall awoke, dizzy and faint, to Woodshaver's nuzzlings. The wolf put his great paw on her shoulder and touched his nose to hers..."

I suppose that makes Woodshaver a male...

Both taken from the novellization. Other findings, anyone? ;)

Raenafel

Now,again
"Treestump sat back on his haunches and surveyed his handiwork with satisfaction. His she-wolf, Lionskin, shifted her weight impatiently..."

Thornbrake

Good sleuthing, @Raenafel! That's how I knew Lionskin was female. The question is, are Woodshaver and Bristlebrush the same wolves that Nightfall and Scouter rode to Sorrow's End? We don't get their names until seven years later in the story during the quest, so it's possible they were born in the desert.

My guess is quite likely they are the same, just given the age of the Nightfall and Scouter who are just slightly younger than Cutter. Woodshaver and Bristlebrush were likely their first wolf friends, and indeed, we see Scouter shedding a tear at Nightrunner's howl, with the caption saying that those Wolfriders who haven't lost their first wolf friend yet know that someday they must.

Raenafel

That leaves the question about Whitebrow, Hotburr and Firecoat (well, and maybe Holtfinder, too)

From what we have now with the original wolves:
Nightrunner, Starjumper, Briersting, Shyhider, Smoketreader, Trollhammer, Woodshaver (7 males)
Lionskin, Silvergrace, Bristlebrush, Whitebrow(?), Hotburr (?), Firecoat(?) + some unnamed mount of Woodlock's.
Would be natural for them to be females, just for the sake of equality :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Firecoat were a female, while Whitebrow - male -- it would underline the certain features of their riders. But we don't know that for sure.

Somehow I hope at least Hotburr is a male...with such a name )))

As for Holtfinder, he or she is supposed to be born in the desert already. If it is true that normally only alpha male and female have offspring, then Holtfinder might have been Nightrunner and Silvergrace's cub :))))

*Wolf genealogy mode ON*