ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Employment..?

Sadachbia

I don't know if there's somewhere else to post this, and I can't find the Search function ><, but I would like to know... Do the Pinis still contract people to help with artwork? I have talent and skill, and I need a job, even if it's only a temporary thing.

Samples of my work can be found here: http://pics.livejournal.com/hecatemahadevi/gallery/0000hrba

...Wendy-sensei, can I be your apprentice? ._.

Suzene

I think Sonny Strait's already got the job. ;)

Sadachbia

[quote:9fedef3014="Suzene"]I think Sonny Strait's already got the job. ;)[/quote:9fedef3014]

I'd be more upset, but if it keeps him from "acting", then that's a good thing.

Sadachbia

Aw, man, nobody's even voted. :(

mournsong

OR most people are too polite to say things like: "well your art is quite nice, but it isn't of the quality I expect to see in ElfQuest - come back in a few years and ask again" - which is the first thing going through my mind.

Also, I find the topic a bit hard to understand. It raises a lot of questions I maybe should ask. Like: what's the purpose of a poll? And what exactly do you want to offer the Pini's, workwise? If you want to draw comic art, why aren't there any comic pages in your samples? Are you looking for advice or just confirmation? Stuff like that I find hard to figure out.

Trollbabe

I agree it should be in the fanart section. Also you don't give us many poll choices, both of which reflect a lack of confidence. You can draw well, but you seem to be apologizing for your work.

My recommendation would be to strike out on your own, rather than try to seek employment with an established line of comics. If someone likes your work, they may come to you with an offer. Perhaps you could team up with an aspiring writer.

mournsong

I agree. It will also give you the opportunity to try out your wings, so to speak - see if you actually have what it takes to make it in comics. Drawing comics is a lot more demanding than just making a few pretty pictures - and if you just manage to finish a 24-page comic story, you'll probably be amazed how much your art will have improved and how much you've learned when you're done. Just don't get discouraged and don't give up.

Sadachbia

Hmmm.

I DO have some sketchy comic-layout pages (as well as some more recent artwork, but most of it's uncoloured), but the Elfquest fan-comic stuff I've done is deep in the realm of Worldpool, in an alternate universe with an alternate timeline, and I don't think the Elfparents would approve. :(

Also, I hate drawing backgrounds. Hate hate hate. >< (Then again, I hear Elfmom hates it too...)

Sadachbia

[quote:7bfb0777c6="Trollbabe"]Perhaps you could team up with an aspiring writer.[/quote:7bfb0777c6]

I write my own stories in addition to artwork. I just figure everyone here is more interested in Elfquest than in characters in stories nobody but me has ever heard of. >_>

And I do have self-esteem issues, I can admit that freely... my levels of dopamine (a neurochemical related to the reward system) are out of whack, so I have a tendency to take criticism hard and get an inflated ego when praised. -_-;;

mournsong

At least you realize it... Actually I think it's one of the most important instances of personal growth when you realize good criticism is worth more than even the best compliment. These days it's artistic growth that's my main goal, not pretty pictures, so I pounce on every kind of well-founded criticism like it's covered in chocolate.

Heh. You know who sent me the best critisism I ever got? Jozef Szekeres, the artist of the original Wavedancers series. He sent me a point-by-point list of criticism on one of my mermaid pictures on DA, not only pointing out what was wrong with it but also how I might correct it. That's the best kind of criticism you can ever get, especially as he is, of course, quite an accomplished artist himself.

Funny thing was, I was already halfway through a reply to his note before I realized who he was. Gave me quite a thrill, I can tell you! Grin

Apogee

While I think your work is good and shows obvious talent, details need a lot of work. The faces for some reason bother me, the shading - the hash marks on the cheeks? Why? They all look either like they've got a LOT of makeup and it's running, or they've all been blushing/been bruised. More delicate shading if you're going to ink the hatching, is in order there.

In the color works, they're really nice. However you need to work on shading in color, and keeping a single light source direction for shadows.

Otherwise, the proportions are nice (though not Pini elf style, their heads are small like I draw them, I just can't do 5-to-4 head high people and call them normal... :) ) and it looks like you've got a great eye for costumery.

So it's tweaking I think that's most in order.

joselle

Honestly, if you're asking to be judged by the EQ fan community at large if you can hack it as a professional artist FOR Elfquest, then you should really upload stuff with canon characters. The only ones I saw were of Osek, Medka & Ekuar when they were young...but that really doesn't let me know how you'd say, drawing Cutter or any of the other big characters. Or even a picture that's more that just, here's a character or a page. Give it a scene, give it an emotion. Even a single frame can speak volumes as far as storytelling goes...and Storytelling within the art is imho as important to Elfquest as the pretty Elves.

[quote:c170fdb811="Sadachbia"]

Also, I hate drawing backgrounds. Hate hate hate. >< (Then again, I hear Elfmom hates it too...)[/quote:c170fdb811]

True, but you don't ever see her shrink from actually drawing them, do you?

Wink

stargazer

I would say your stuff is good, and you clearly have talent. But I wouldn't say it's quite EQ standard...yet. Wink

As for taking critique (as opposed to criticism Wink ) I learned long ago that I'd rather hear the truth as long as it's phrased in a constructive way (as in - if you change such and such it might look better, rather than - you suck, give up now! Grin ) rather than false praise making me think my stuff is better than it really is. I'm no Wendy Pini, but I've learned a lot from what others have said about my own stuff...and if you ever want to be a professional you really need a thick skin! Grin

Sadachbia

I don't exactly KNOW what the hash marks on the cheeks are supposed to be, just that every anime/manga character I've ever seen has them. If anyone here knows a Japanese manga-ka, could you please let me know? ._.

Sadachbia

[quote:041539905c="mournsong"]Heh. You know who sent me the best critisism I ever got? Jozef Szekeres, the artist of the original Wavedancers series. He sent me a point-by-point list of criticism on one of my mermaid pictures on DA, not only pointing out what was wrong with it but also how I might correct it. That's the best kind of criticism you can ever get, especially as he is, of course, quite an accomplished artist himself.[/quote:041539905c]
Errr...he doesn't post here, does he? I've got a few constructive comments for him myself.....

Sadachbia

As I've tried to warn you before, none of these are canon. They're all Worldpool (read: fanfiction). But they're a lot more recent than the two- or three-year-old doggerel earlier in my "Artworks" gallery. (Also, keep in mind that these are [i:fd16fadaa9]first drafts[/i:fd16fadaa9], and I do additional touch-ups when I go over them in colour with a light table.)

(Sorry if I come off as a little snippy. I had to turn off my furnace this morning about 5 AM because it was exploding, the maintenance guy hasn't come yet, and I'm cold and haven't had a shower or eaten breakfast yet. ><)

pinup: http://pics.livejournal.com/hecatemahadevi/pic/000k0cqw
pinup: http://pics.livejournal.com/hecatemahadevi/pic/000k15wq
comic layout page: http://pics.livejournal.com/hecatemahadevi/pic/000k2g1y
comic layout page: http://pics.livejournal.com/hecatemahadevi/pic/000k3yqe

Killey

[quote:24765a51ed="Sadachbia"]I don't exactly KNOW what the hash marks on the cheeks are supposed to be, just that every anime/manga character I've ever seen has them. If anyone here knows a Japanese manga-ka, could you please let me know? ._.[/quote:24765a51ed]

I've always thought that the hash marks on a character's cheeks are supposed to represent blushing or reddening of the cheeks; sometimes wounds. In a black-and-white media, an easy way to represent shading or some color differences would be to make hash lines over whatever is to be shaded or darkened.

Laurel

[quote:ecd9df462e="Killey"][quote:ecd9df462e="Sadachbia"]I don't exactly KNOW what the hash marks on the cheeks are supposed to be, just that every anime/manga character I've ever seen has them. If anyone here knows a Japanese manga-ka, could you please let me know? ._.[/quote:ecd9df462e]

I've always thought that the hash marks on a character's cheeks are supposed to represent blushing or reddening of the cheeks; sometimes wounds. In a black-and-white media, an easy way to represent shading or some color differences would be to make hash lines over whatever is to be shaded or darkened.[/quote:ecd9df462e]

Those marks bothered me also, but I'd have to agree with Killey here.

mournsong

[quote:e10795bb41="Sadachbia"]
Errr...he doesn't post here, does he? I've got a few constructive comments for him myself.....[/quote:e10795bb41]

No... it was on Deviantart. He's known under the nick of Elf-fin there. If you have a DA account, you can comment on his pictures and ask him questions. He usually replies, I think.

Sadachbia

Good lord, I'd forgotten this thread existed. Ignore the art on my Livejournal. It's terrible. Please refer instead to my deviantART page, amethystsadachbia.deviantart.com

Trollbabe

Warning: Unsolicited advice dump.

Since responding to this post five years ago, I've started a freelance writing business, been laid off from my regular job, taken another job temporarily, quit that job, and become a fulltime freelance writer. I'm not saying this to boast, but to let you know it can be done.

Begin by cutting all unnecessary expenses, as well as time-wasters (television, in my case.) Spend your free time reading books, articles and blogs about being a freelance artist, and about running a business. Do this while eating lunch, riding the subway, at the library, or any other time you can spare.

If you can't get by on public transportation, make sure you have a reliable car. Ask you mechanic to assess it for any future problems, and decide if it's time to trade it in.

Practice, practice, practice. Take life drawing or other classes. Join a local artists' co-op for encouragement.

Break relationships with negative, discouraging people who will only drag you down. Resolve attracts helpful, positive people who will take their place. You may also find other freelance people willing to barter services like website work, in exchange for drawings and paintings.

Once you have enough work coming in to pay the bills, consider cutting back on hours at your regular job. Accept the "feast or famine" nature of freelance work. One week you're wondering if you will make enough to pay the power bill. The next week you're eating ramen noodles and cereal because you don't have time to cook.

Don't quit a fulltime job until you have six months' worth of living expenses saved up. Be financially prepared for major car expenses, home repairs, veterinary bills, anything that might come up.

Remember that art is a business, and its purpose is to make money. Ask business advice of successful business owners, regardless of whether they do dry cleaning or dog grooming. Most are happy to help.

The best advice I read about freelancing, was "make reliability your middle name." You don't have to be a better artist than someone else, or a faster artist than someone else. You just have to do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it, the way you said you would do it. Every. Single. Time. I'll bet you my next client check that Elfpop would agree on this.

People think they need tools, studio space, money and other resources to succeed in business. Think HEAD, HANDS and HEART. These three hold your most valuable business assets. Ethics, discipline, respect, generosity... these things trump money and natural talent every time.

Heather

Wise words! Thanks, @Trollbabe!

Trollbabe

You're welcome!

For those of you who think freelancing is risky, working for anyone else is high-risk nowadays.

I was one of over thirty long-time employees, with excellent performance records, who worked for a local family-owned company that was bought out a few years ago. We were laid off last year, on the whims of some executives overseas who don't even speak our language, because new part-time hires could be hired for less.

RichardPini

Sadachbia said: Do the Pinis still contract people to help with artwork?

Five years later...

Wendy and I are long past the stage of looking for free-lance artists for new Elfquest stories. "Final Quest" is well under way, and we're having the time of our lives, just the two of us, as it was when Elfquest started. (This is not to slight Sonny Strait, who is coloring Wendy's ink-work, and doing a fantastic job under her direction. I'm only saying that when it comes down to the basic story and art, it's we two holding all the reins, and feeling totally good about that.)

Trollbabe

("Holding all the reins" made me imagine artists in bridles and harnesses... 8-} )

To anyone else who is interested in drawing for "Elfquest" , think about striking out on your own and publishing online. When the Pinis started out, they didn't have the Internet to allow them to share their comic stories. Today the possibilities are limitless.

Sadachbia

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, posting alternaverse fancomics (and a lot of random fanart) on my deviantART page. :D I found a great dayjob too, so I'm happy to support myself doing that and just keeping art as a hobby. It's a little simpler that way ^_^;

My dA page is http://amethystsadachbia.deviantart.com/ if you want to look at my work. Just wander around for a bit, and you're bound to stumble on something Elfquest-related. My page is lousy with it! xD

Night_Tanem

Again, I love it and the colors are =D>

Embala

Good that you found a way of life you are happy with, Sadachbia. :D

Sadachbia

Kind of old, but I can finally address something:

The faces for some reason bother me, the shading - the hash marks on the cheeks? Why? They all look either like they've got a LOT of makeup and it's running, or they've all been blushing/been bruised. More delicate shading if you're going to ink the hatching, is in order there.

They're contour lines. There's a slight gap (on both humans and elves) beneath the bottom of the eyeball and the bottom edge of the eyesocket, but if you draw that as a normal line, characters look like they've been punched repeatedly in the face and/or haven't slept for days. Hatching, done right (which I haven't always done), is a more subtle way of showing depths.