ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Survivors of a Lost Holt

Sofia

This Holt is still alive and kicking! Come join the fun - the above banner leads to our website, with info on how to join. This thread will have some of it as well, plus info on the plot and characters.

We're a forum-based role-playing Holt. This means we do all our rp-ing post-by-post on a forum (we used to do it through a YahooGroup, but are at the moment transitioning to a forum). Our finished rpgs are archieved on our website.

We're quite slow-paced, as we have no demand on a certain number of posts per week, so be warned. The pace depends somewhat on how many of us are inspired to rp at the same time; but don't worry, there's always someone you can play with who'll answer within a day or two (sometimes within an hour).

The participation "demands" we have are:
- Reply to all posts directed at your characters
- Answer questions asked by other players
- Warn us if you know you won't have time for the rp for more than 2 weeks (though "disappearing" and then explaining won't get you banned or anything)
- Reply to role calls.

OBS! The website updates _much slower_ than the rpg! Members share all current info on the forum (and in the Yahoo!Group) and I update the website as often as I have time to do so. Don't judge the Holt's activity from the website - go to our forum or Yahoo!Group to see if we're still moving or not Wink

Sofia

The „Join“-system

The way to join this Holt might look a little complicated at first, but it really isn't. In short you can only play elves (for now). Limit for a new member is two elves (three if you give me a very convincing speech).

There are three „types“ of elves to play. They are: „Adoptables“, „Wanderers“ and „Elves from Other Tribes“.

Adoptables: Elves that were created by someone else. They have a Character Information Sheet (CIS), relatives, a background and so on. Not always completely finished (may have some physical trates missing or so – you get to fill out that yourself), but have often been played by someone before you. Vintage elves, to put it simply. Look further down the thread to see what adoptables are available.

Wanderers: NOT ACCEPTED RIGHT NOW. These are elves you make up completely on your own. They're not from the Tall Tree Holt. They can come from any tribe – but if you don't like any of the available ones you must invent one yourself, with details!

This is so I can put info on the website for other players, in case they also want to create an elf from that tribe and so I can weave it into the rpg's plot (yes, we do have one). Wanderers can also come from the same tribe as other wanderers who're already in the game .

OBS! To keep things „realistic“ we only accept two wandering elves per rpg-year. This is to avoid „elves behind every bush“-senarios.

Other tribes: So if adoptables are elves invented by other players and wanderers are made completely by you, what are these guys? Well, they're somewhere inbetween. They can only come from tribes the survivors have met! That means „other tribe“-elves currently only can come from „the Children of the Oaks“. This is to prevent the senario of elves popping up from behind every bush – it would just get confusing and weird.

Other than that your tribe and its customs are decided for you, you have more or less free hands (though all must of course be approved by the Holt leader before you join, as with any elf). Some names (accompanied by brief or not-so-brief appearances in the RPG) have been put up on the website (Where & What → Elves → Known elf tribes → Children of the Oaks). All green names are available elves for making a CIS to. You can make your own elf as well.

OBS! There can only be 2 tribes with one type of animal-blood (3 if one is an old branch of one of the others). Ex: There will be no more wolf-blooded elf tribes: there's already the Riverbench Holt, the survivors of the Tall Tree Holt and Sunsleaf's tribe. If you want a wolf-blood elf s/he must come from one of these tribes.

To join: Go to our website, press „Join?“, READ THE RULES and „HOW-TO-ROLE-PLAY“, then follow the instructions. Any questions just pm or e-mail me!

Sofia

MAGIC

The tribe's magic users were captured or killed during the trolls' attack. We are trying to keep the magic in the tribe limited. Elves don't need magic to be fun to play! If you really want one, I want a good reason to give it to you.

However, you can „reserve“ magic, for your elf to discover later on. Please don't abuse this – I use it mostly to make sure important plot-elements are in place at the right time. I will ask for volunteers from time to time, for special skills/mini-plots/magic. Keep an eye out for those!

REMEMBER: it's preferable that you „reserve“ powers, rather than show up with an already skilled elf. More detailed info of the magic can be found on our website.

Sofia

The Story So Far

The Tall Tree Holt was a peaceful home of elves for several generation that sadly is no more. The elves there found a stone, fallen from the sky, they believed to be magical and brought it back to the Holt. Inventive as they were they named it "The Stone from the Sky".

The nearby trolls, allies who'd begun to distrust the elves as more and more magic users were born, were none too happy about this. Combined with the quite recent birth of the tribe's first Metal-Shaper, this was the last straw for the trolls. When they couldn't trade for the Stone they broke all contact with the elves and retreated into their mountain.

They didn't stay there for long though. One evening, just before sunset, they attacked the Holt. Many elves lost their lives and many magic users were captured, taken into slavery by the trolls. But some managed to escape. They were the revenge hungry Bloodmane; the soul siblings Branchwalker and Dawngazer; Brighteyes, son of the dead chief; the brothers ChildWolf and LizardStalker; the sisters Cloudbird and Eveningsky; Eclipse, the loner; the huntress Silvereyes and her father Greyspear, an elder who was very close to the chief; Squirrel with her two children Quicksand and Redstreak.

A mere third of the once large Holt, wolves and all.

With escape and search for safety as their main goal they fled the Holt, which had been set aflame by the trolls. Greyspear, as the eldest, took the lead, Brighteyes being far too young to take on the role of chief. Both luck and misfortune followed them. They met a wanderer named Riv, a youth with a somewhat violent attitude. They also found more of the kin; One-Edge and Longsong, a Recognized pair grieving over the loss of their young son. Young Eveninglight also proved to still be alive and free.

But the trolls hadn't given up. A small scouting party caught up with the survivors. Some elves were injured in the resulting brawl, but all are believed to have escaped alive. After the ambush the elves were split up. Brighteyes, Cloudbird, Eclipse, Greyspear, Eveninglight, Eveningsky, Redstreak and Squirrel were nowhere to be found. Wounded and exhausted the survivors could do nothing but hide from the trolls and grieve once more. Some joy was found in the appearance of a new wanderer, Sunsleaf.

Then came the question: what do we do now?

Dawngazer and Longsong, inspired by the newcomers, remembered old stories of a group of bird-blooded elves that once were part of the Tall Tree Holt.

Dawngazer therefore suggested to seek out other elves and ask for assistance and to be especially eyes-high for the bird-bloods. Old family was still family - the could possibly be more inclined to help and there was that half forgotten ledgend of them possessing a powerful magical object...

Thus the group set out onto the Plains. There they finally found some decent prey: longrunners (horses). After another moon on the run they met two more strangers, BrightStar and ClearIce, two brothers from much colder lands.

They offered to share their shelter and although hesitant at first the survivors accepted. After Dawngazer explained to them how the Tall Tree Holt had burned, BrightStar and ClearIce asked to join them.

Although the first day at the shelter started out somewhat tense, the mood lightened after a while. Even the bonds, different as they were, came to some sort of agreement of peace.

The next night, refreshed from sleeping in warm furs and sheltered from the harsh winds of the plains, the survivors split up to get more food, as well as tools. Bloodmane and Sunsleaf took it upon themselves to gather useful herbs and something to make baskets of. ClearIce went fishing. The rest of the group went hunting for more longrunners.

One-Edge and ChildWolf, because of their injuries, stayed in the shelter together with Longsong and Treebreeze to watch the cubs.

The hunters found a herd of longrunners. Everything seemed to be going fine, but panic suddenly broke out among the prey, as if they were being chased by something.

Not wanting to lose their prey the hunters still tried to take down as many longrunners as they could, while avoiding being trampled. Still, Riv ended up with a longrunner falling on him, BrightStar broke a few ribs and Eveninglight fell into a deep hole in the ground - a trap made to capture longrunners.

Meanwhile, back at the shelter, Bloodmane and Sunsleaf return to hear quite a story from the cubsitters. Not long after the others had left Longsong had begun telling the cubs a story. Just about halfway through a sound of stone hitting stone and two hurried footsteps could be heard outside. But only two.

They got no reply to their sendings. One-Edge went outside to get a closer look, finding a small, blue crystal obviously shaped by magic, as well as the scent of an unknown elf. One-Edge gave the crystal to Longsong for safe-keeping and went to follow the tracks of the stranger.

Back with the hunters, what had scared the longrunners proved to be other elves. A hunting party from The Children of the Oaks had been after the same herd as the survivors and the resulting chaos made an enemy out of the strangers' hunt leader, Claw.

After some hesitation and injuries the survivors accepted the strangers' offer to follow them back to their big camp - a gathering of all the Children's small tribes, called 'Branches' for a huge celebration they called the New Turn Feast.

In their hunting camp the survivors found Eclipse, who seemed quite at home with the Children and greeted his tribe mates with lukewarm interest.

The Feast was unlike anything the survivors had seen before in their lives. So many elves in the same place, so much noise and music and a to top it off, a huge bonfire in the middle. Some were overwhelmed, others delighted.

The Children of the Oaks proved to be friendly and fairly used to visiting elves...excepted none of them had ever heard of a bond-friend before. This resulted in some supicion and one crisis, when the pack's leading female wolf Softpaws decided to give birth in one of the food storage tents.

Other happy surprises were also in store. First Haze and Redstreak found their way back, half starved and thristy. Greyspear and Squirrel caught up with their kin, together with the stranger Sureshot. Soon after them Gale, who hadn't been seen since the first troll attack, also proved to be alive and kicking.

The reunion wasn't all good though. Sureshot appearantly came from the same tribe as Sunsleaf and she wasn't at all pleased to see him.

Around the same time the Children of the Oaks found out about the survivors actually sharing blood with their wolves, which got a mixed reception so serious it ended in a challenge among the Children's chiefs! Sadly for the survivors, the First Chief Keensight had to step down, leaving Palepelt in charge - an elf not in favor of mixing elf and animal. It looks like the survivors are about to be chased out of their new safe haven...

Summary last updated: 15th of March, 2014 (currently not working because color looks to be disabled)
Blue = Has a player
Green = Adoptable!
Red = No player, not adoptable...yet
Black = Non-Player Character

Sofia

Map

Go to our website for a World Map and alt-text for the red dots. The red dot farthest to the right is our current location. On the website-map you can also click areas for more climate info and such.

Sofia

The Current "Tribe"

Please see our website under "The Tribe" to find out what elves currently are running around in the game.

To find out what they've been up to from the game's start, click on "Where & What" and go to "Timeline".

Sofia

Adoptables

Please see end of this thread for current adoptables :)

Sofia

Other Tribes

These are the tribes in which you can create or adopt elves, other than the main tribe:

Children of the Oaks

A tribe of plainsdwelling purebloods with copper-colored skin (and mohawks!).

Elves of the Frozen Lands

Fox-blooded elves from a land far north that's always covered in snow.

The Spotted Paw Clan

Cheetah-blooded elves who live on a far off savannah...and who might be going through a tragedy quite soon.

All green names indicate elves who've already been somewhat played or mentioned in-game. They are in other words "adoptables". Still, they have next to no CIS (Character Information Sheet), so you get to make up a lot about their personality/skills/apperance, etc.

You can of course make up your very own elf from these tribes, as long as you don't create more elves than the tribe has room for!

Example: No more elves can come from the Branch of Stars, since it's full. You can however adopt an elf from the Branch of Stars.

Sofia

We're getting back on our feet after a long fall-term-hiatus. All our players aren't back in full action just yet (still got some exams and projects to finish), but we're active and are always happy to welcome new players!

We would especially love for someone to adopt our lovely "free ones" (Se Adoptables, two posts above), as they're a very active part of the rpg.

There's lots of story around them currently:
- One-Edge and her brand new lifemate Longsong lost a 5 year old child not two months ago. Her bond-friend Softpaws has just started a conflict with the new elf tribe Children of the Oaks, by seizing a storage tent to give birth in.
- Silvereyes just got her uncle Haze back, but her father Greyspear is still missing and her mother and lovemate were killed not two months ago. She still has her brother Treebreeze as support though.

As I said, we're always open to new members. But please remember, no wanderers! I'm sorry to nag, but somehow no one ever seems to notice that unless I shout.

Rainy

What is a wanderer?

Sofia

Quote:
Rainy

What is a wanderer?

Our Holt has three "types" of elves available to players:

1. Adoptables: You choose an elf with already existing information (such as name, family, appearance, etc.). They have most likely already been role-played in the Holt and thus might be trickier to play than completely self-made ones (but no less fun :D )

2. Other tribes: You make the elf from scratch, but s/he must come from a tribe of elves that has already been created. Therefore there might be guidelines you need to follow while making your elf (ex. skin colors, bloods, etc.)

And finally:

3. Wanderers: Not only do you make the elf from scratch, you also need to think up his/her entire tribe and history. This tribe will have to be discussed in detail, so it can fit into the rpg's main plot.

We only allow 2 wanderers per game-year to join. Why? Well, if we had strangers popping up from behind every bush it would seem rather unrealisitc that our tribe has gone without visitors for thousands of years + even though our "universe" has a few more surviving High Ones than Cutter & co's they weren't that many.

Rainy

Thanks, was just curious what they were - never done any of the EQ RPG stuff - just too much of a time commitment for me, so not familiar at all with any the vernacular.

Sofia

Quote:
Rainy

Thanks, was just curious what they were - never done any of the EQ RPG stuff - just too much of a time commitment for me, so not familiar at all with any the vernacular.

Glad I could be of assistance!

Sofia

Quicksand and Greyspear have been adopted!

Sofia

We have no more adoptables! Silvereyes and One-Edge now have players.

You can however still make your own Children of the Oaks elf, or develop an already existing Children of the Oaks elf.

melodytime

Hiiiiiiiii! i'm going to post with Eclipse soon(-ish) Smile Smile Smile

Sofia

And we're back again! We've been active on and off since the last update and currently have a lot of adoptables! They can be found in post nr 7 in this thread.

I've also updated the summary of the RPG in this thread, so it's up to date.

Also, the website finally updated!

Avendorial

It's so good to see a living holt! I may have to poke my head into there. Grin

Sofia

We'd be glad to have you! Have a look around our website and Yahoo Group (links in the first post in this thread). The Yahoo Group is where we do our roleplaying and is thus much more active than the website.

Any questions, just ask me here or e-mail me (address on the website, under 'Join?')

Avendorial

Will do!

Sofia

Our website is temporarily offline, due to server trouble. I sadly have no idea of when it will be up again.

Peacekeeper

Hey Sofia, it's Steve. You know Gale and PK? I made it on here finally after trying for years! I hope your server is up soon. Everybody knows you're down, but I hope you can find another computer somewhere, wie've missed you so much in the threads! And Bluefox and PK are sitting idle for you until you come back. Sofia...PLEASE COME HOME!!! Lol.

Your ever waiting elves,

Steve

Sofia

Hi Steve!

The site is on its way back and my computer is working fine. My dad got sick a while back, so all internet life was postphoned instantly. Thankfully he's fine now, so I'll start posting again tomorrow (right now, I really should be sleeping...)

Peacekeeper

No problem, I just thought your comp died like mine did some weeks back. Using my laptop now, a 17" Lenovo G550. And because it's so HUGE, I'm aptly gonna name it Snacks the Laptop (not the bear). If ya turn it sideways it does kinda look like a black Pacman. Wakka, wakka, wakka...those were the days.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your father. Believe me, I took care of mine for 6 years and it can be really gut-wrenching when they suffer. Thank goodness he's fine now.

I'll continue this on the Lost Holt message you left me on Yahoo!

Steve

Sofia

The website has been updated a bit and I'm fighting to catch up with coding the RPG to be archived. It would seem the changes to the Scroll means I can't make text in color any more (at least not the way I used to), so the RPG-update thing is very confusing at the moment.

Any help with how to change font size/color/etc. appreciated!

Sofia

Just posting to say that this Holt still is active! Our website just went down for a bit, which I hope I'll be able to fix this weekend.

In the meantime, I've added a link to the Holt's Yahoo!Group where we roleplay.

Sofia

Just posting here to say this Holt is still alive and kicking! We had some website trouble and are currently getting everything back online at a new site, here:

lostholt.eu.pn

We are a good Holt if you're worried real life will stop you from keeping up with more fast paced places. We've been going slow-but-steady since 2004 (it's our 10 year anniversary this month!) and many of the original members are still with us, but we always adjust our pace and activity to real life events.

We've got adoptables as well as the possibility to make up elves of your own device. So people looking for a calm, but far from boring Holt to play in, please come give us a look Smile

Sofia

Quick update on available elves for adoption and character creation!

Adoptables

The Free Ones

Bloodmane
264 years old, female. This tanner, hunter and (unofficial) herbal healer lost everything in the troll attack; her lifemate Arrowflash, their 14 year old daughter Firesoul and both her parents. This is what caused her to change her name from Sunset to her current one and is also the reason she is very set on revenge against the trolls.

Childwolf
68 years old, male. Guard and warrior Childwolf is a former trouble-maker who's become overly protective of his younger brother Lizardstalker since the death of their mother at the hands of the trolls. Their father is also missing, but no one knows what happened to him.

Gale
362 years old, male. Newly renuited with his lifemate Squirrel and his two children Quicksand and Redstreak Gale is one of the happier elves among the survivors. He's a hunter, tracker and also quite talk active, who tries to stay positive in all situations (but if you provoke him he won't stay all rainbows and sunshine for long).

Greyspear
years old, male. Was Chief's Second before the trolls attacked. His
role now is less sure. Chief Clearmind is dead and his son, Brighteyes,
is missing, just like Greyspear was from the second troll attack, up
until a day ago. He's still recovering from the loss of his lifemate -
Tenderheart, the tribe's healer and mother of his two children - and
reuniting with his brother Haze and his children Silvereyes and
Treebreeze.

Haze
years old, male. Younger brother of Greyspear (though the age
difference and the fact that Greyspear more or less raised him has made
their relationship more of a uncle-nephew one than a brotherly one),
uncle to Silvereyes and Treebreeze. Laid back and solitary - at least
before the Holt burned. What will he do to comfort his brother, niece
and nephew, as they grieve the loss of Tenderheart?

Lizardstalker
12 years old, male. A shy cub these days, careful around strangers. He used to be quite a trouble-maker, allied with his older brother Childwolf, but the troll attack changed that drastically. He's still mourning the death of his mother and the loss of his father.

Quicksand
years old, female. She's the 'pack leader' of the cubs, a bit bossy and
knows when to act cute to disarm the adults. Loves new and exciting
things - like the new elves (she wants to style her hair in the same
fashion most of them). Just reunited with both of her missing parents
Gale and Squirrel, not long after having her younger brother Redstreak
returned to her by Haze.

Rainblossom
years old, female. Born in the Riverbench Holt, which no longer exists.
She, her brother Firecry and Bloodcut, another of their surviving tribe
mates, set out to search for other survivors of their wolf-blooded
tribe. What they found instead was the Branch of Stars, the smallest
Branch of the Children of the Oaks. They've stayed with them ever since
and just got to meet the rest of the Branches - in time for the Tall
Tree elves to reveal how elves who bond with wolves really work. How
will Rainblossom react to the sudden hostility of half her new tribe?

Redstreak
years old, male. Son of Gale and Squirrel, brother of Quicksand. Open
and friendly, a bit of a dreamer. Disappeared during the second troll
attack, was found by Haze and they both made their way back to the rest
of the survivors quite recently, so Redstreak is still a little
underfed. He's just been reunited with his parents.

Sureshot
years old, male. Wanderer from the High Stream Holt, the same Holt that
the wanderer Sunsleaf comes from. Seems to have a bit of a history with
her, since the first thing she did when she saw him was punch him in
the face. Neither of them has explained what it was about further, but
apparently nothing serious enough for Sunsleaf to want him chased away.

Treebreeze
66 years old, male. Currently exhausted and beat up, Treebreeze isn't his usual helpful self right now (well, he'd usually be helping the cubs do something they shouldn't). He's happy all the same, being renuited with his father Greyspear, sister Silvereyes and his uncle Haze. The happiness of reunion almost overshadow his grief over the death of his and Silvereyes mother, the tribe's healer, who was killed by the trolls.

Other Tribes

Children of the Oaks
A tribe of plainsdwelling purebloods with copper-colored skin (and mohawks!). Click the link above for more information about them.

All green names indicate elves who've already been somewhat played or mentioned in-game. They are in other words more "adoptables" than anything else. Still, they have next to no CIS (Character Information Sheet), so you get to make up a lot about their personality/skills/apperance, etc.

You can of course make up your very own elf from this tribe, as long as they follow the "rules" of the tribe (i.e. being purebloods, etc.)!

Example: No more elves can come from the Branch of Stars, since it's full. You can however adopt an elf from the Branch of Stars.

Tam

Just want to say how encouraging it is to see a holt that's gone so long. :) I can only hope Oakleaf enjoys such longevity.

Sofia

Best of luck with Oakleaf! It's sad so many of the old Holts have closed, but it's good to see new ones open :) If you have a banner or something like that, I'd love to link to your Holt from my Holt's website.

Tam

We don't have a banner, but I can see about making one. :)

Nibblet

Its so refreshing to see there is no competition between holts. Good for you guys :D

Tam

Absolutely not. :) I remember way back when there used to be holts as far as the eye could see...then people developed these things called "lives" and all the holts died. :( I am all about stoking those flames again. MOAR HOLTS.

Nibblet

Pah, lives are overrated. MOAR HOLTS INDEED!

Sofia

@Tam Looking forward to linking to your Holt!

@Nibblet Competition would be a sad things, since we're so few as it is. And I'd like to chime in on the MOAR HOLTS point. I'm thinking about starting up yet another Holt...

Tam

I have a link up for you guys, but not a banner...we may figure out something better soon, but at least there's a link. :) It's on the left sidebar, visible from every page.

Sofia

Okay, I'll get a link up on my Holt's website this week :)

Tam

oakleaf half-banner

Here's a banner for us if you want it! :)

Sofia

Great! I'll add it to our site tonight or tomorrow (not sure when I'll be home tonight).

Tam

Thank you! :)

Sofia

Survivors of a Lost Holt is in the process of moving from YahooGroups to a forum. The YahooGroup will still be left active, but the role-playing game itself is moving to this forum:

http://survivorsofalostholt.freeforums.net/

Tam

Lemme know if you need the links changed on Wild Forest and Oakleaf. :)

Sofia

If you're linked to the website, no changes are needed, but thanks for asking!

Tam

Yeah, it's to the website. :)

Sofia

Great! Then no changes are needed. Also, the mods of Elfquest Fan Art told me they've sent you an e-mail; I hope you got it :)

Sofia

Posting here just to let you know the Holt is still alive and kicking :)

Sofia

As with Beacon Call Holt (which I also admin) Survivors of a Lost Holt is still rolling, it's just that a few of our members are super busy with the last weeks of work combined with the upcoming holidays (myself included).

Always open to new players - we currently have the option of creating a cheetah-blooded or pureblooded elf, or adopting a few named wolf-blooded and pureblooded elves!