FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

newer Wendy Pini and Elfquest art

spiritofthewater

Currently for sale at northernstarart.com:

Medium: Acrylic
Dimensions: 14 x 19
$1000

Northernstarart doesn't tell when it's painted.

Embala

Ahhh ... like a glas window!

RichardPini

Pre-Elfquest, while she was still into Elric, so between 1973 and 1976 or so.

Trollbabe

I like the Japanese influence.

lilpunkin

omigosh...

a little bit of Voll thrown in with a touch of Dragonriders of Pern (the fire lizard)

beautiful!!!

her use of colors...YOWIE!

Trollbabe

Embala mentioned a glass window. With the frame, I am thinking a pinball backboard.

spiritofthewater

Currently for sale at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200336095428&Category=3986&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

The seller doesn't know who it is, but it is Nightfall isn't it?

1995, from Chicago Comicon

LivietheLurker

I'd say yes, the necklace is the same, and what we can see of her top is too. She's just not wearing her bandana.

RichardPini

[quote:d9c30aee74="lilpunkin"]omigosh...

a little bit of Voll thrown in with a touch of Dragonriders of Pern (the fire lizard)

beautiful!!!

her use of colors...YOWIE![/quote:d9c30aee74]

Day-glo acrylics had just become available, and she wanted to see what might be done with them.

RedheadEmber

[quote:4d19044329="Kindredsoul"]okay, so this is the end of April....so my hubby has 7 and a half months to save $$$$ for my Christmas present!!!! :jump:

:oops: oh wait....the roof still leaks...... :headwall2: :headwall2: :headwall2:[/quote:4d19044329]

[color=red:4d19044329]Well... you've got to... you know... decide what's most important... it's got a word... But I can't remember it![/color:4d19044329]

Killey

[quote:6e84e4f692="Redhead Ember"][quote:6e84e4f692="Kindredsoul"]okay, so this is the end of April....so my hubby has 7 and a half months to save $$$$ for my Christmas present!!!! :jump:

:oops: oh wait....the roof still leaks...... :headwall2: :headwall2: :headwall2:[/quote:6e84e4f692]

[color=red:6e84e4f692]Well... you've got to... you know... decide what's most important... it's got a word... But I can't remember it![/color:6e84e4f692][/quote:6e84e4f692]

Prioritize? That's still a *really* great painting...

jeb

[quote:dd00fe3957="RichardPini"][quote:dd00fe3957="lilpunkin"]omigosh...

beautiful!!!

her use of colors...YOWIE![/quote:dd00fe3957]

Day-glo acrylics had just become available, and she wanted to see what might be done with them.[/quote:dd00fe3957]

Looks like something you would hang under a black light.

2passions

@spiritofwater
I think it's Nightfaal, yes. Definatly not Leetah Surprised

wildfire

[quote:09bc978b21="spiritofthewater"]Currently for sale at northernstarart.com:

Medium: Acrylic
Dimensions: 14 x 19
$1000

Northernstarart doesn't tell when it's painted.[/quote:09bc978b21]

*Whine* WANT! Sadly, I haven't got a thousand bucks right now :crying:

spiritofthewater

Recently sold at Silent Art Auctions

Willowspring

AHHHHHHHHHHH wonderwoman!!!! Wendy Pinis Wonder woman!!! GAH!!!1 *cries*&

Embala

[b:be2204f7ac]Wonder[i:be2204f7ac]ful[/i:be2204f7ac]woman![/b:be2204f7ac] :D

She's an unusual beauty with this chin

spiritofthewater

This drawing has just been sold for $750 :!: :!: WP art seem to be rising in value. If the forthcoming movie becomes a success I think the value of WP art may really increase. Something to think about for those who want to buy a WP drawing.

Minouche

I'd say it's well worth it even though there is no way for my budget to stretch that much.

Icemoon

wonderwoman ... WONDERFULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

KirthelastGo-Back

One of my few recent regrets: not commissioning a Jink sketch when I had the chance. :(

Richard, any chance Wendy would take a private commission in the future? Any chance at all? :awww:

RichardPini

[quote:c87562d498="Kir. the last Go-Back"]One of my few recent regrets: not commissioning a Jink sketch when I had the chance. :(

Richard, any chance Wendy would take a private commission in the future? Any chance at all? :awww:[/quote:c87562d498]

There's always a [b:c87562d498]chance[/b:c87562d498]. It may be statistically close to zero but nothing is impossible. I would say though, given all the signs and trends, that the days of cheapo con sketches are numbered. Or already dead.

Minouche

[quote:aabd7fd281="RichardPini"]...that the days of cheapo con sketches are numbered. Or already dead.[/quote:aabd7fd281]
As far as I'm concerned, Wendy's art is far from "cheapo" considering the current prices quoted above, and there's definitely nothing "cheapo" in it's quality.
As I said, I don't believe I'll ever be able to commission or buy anything of hers, I'll have to be content with looking at it when it's posted on this forum.

RichardPini

[quote:55ac563916="Minouche"][quote:55ac563916="RichardPini"]...that the days of cheapo con sketches are numbered. Or already dead.[/quote:55ac563916]
As far as I'm concerned, Wendy's art is far from "cheapo" considering the current prices quoted above, and there's definitely nothing "cheapo" in it's quality.
As I said, I don't believe I'll ever be able to commission or buy anything of hers, I'll have to be content with looking at it when it's posted on this forum.[/quote:55ac563916]

What I meant was, that historically at conventions, Wendy has charged far less for sketches than I (and many others) have found sensible.

Songflower

Spiritofthewater, I knew I'd seen that Nightfall sketch before. It's on Marty Kuhn's website in his "Nightfall Art" section (http://www.rwhirled.com/nightart-warp.htm). He doesn't own it (obviously, or the seller would have known who it was). Here's what he says about it:

"Wendy Pini, 1995. A large grease marker/crayon of sorts was used to draw this fine portrait at the 1995 Chicago ComiCon. [GIF, B&W, about 15k"

Marty says that he hopes for a better computer file of this pic, because the one he has is not too good.

spiritofthewater

I don't have a better picture. If I had I would sent it to him.

I think I have seen this picture before: http://www.rwhirled.com/pics/nightfall-big.jpg

Is it from the [i:f2be674de7]Gallery of Portraits[/i:f2be674de7] portfolio?

RichardPini

[quote:bfdbf4199f="spiritofthewater"]I don't have a better picture. If I had I would sent it to him.

I think I have seen this picture before: http://www.rwhirled.com/pics/nightfall-big.jpg

Is it from the [i:bfdbf4199f]Gallery of Portraits[/i:bfdbf4199f] portfolio?[/quote:bfdbf4199f]

No.

RichardPini

[quote:d63cc51e2d="Kindredsoul"]Did Wendy use pastels for that one?? I love how soft it looks! :love:[/quote:d63cc51e2d]

Yes, there was a stretch where she was doing sketches in pastel, even convention sketches.

spiritofthewater

I found this in the 25th Anniversary Special.

Minouche

[quote:cf3aa5550a="Thitida-No-Chey"]Not entirely related to "new" stuff but more to "buy" stuff; but I found [url=http://www.comicart.dk/product.asp?product=1611]this [/url]by accident...[/quote:cf3aa5550a]
What "this"?

RedheadEmber

[color=red:135fa1efa4]But... why would he [i:135fa1efa4]ask[/i:135fa1efa4] such a thing? That picture is [i:135fa1efa4]great[/i:135fa1efa4]

[size=7:135fa1efa4](Så... Thitida... hvis jeg finder det først... [b:135fa1efa4][i:135fa1efa4][u:135fa1efa4]Er det mit!!![/u:135fa1efa4][/i:135fa1efa4][/b:135fa1efa4] forstået? Men... måske den nuværrende ejer ikke vil af med det...)[/size:135fa1efa4][/color:135fa1efa4]

RedheadEmber

[color=red:5d03a28b70]So... this is a [b:5d03a28b70][i:5d03a28b70][u:5d03a28b70]war[/u:5d03a28b70][/i:5d03a28b70][/b:5d03a28b70] to get it first!

And yeah... sure is! Wink [/color:5d03a28b70]

lilpunkin

[quote:5943391144="Thitida-No-Chey"]Not entirely related to "new" stuff but more to "buy" stuff; but I found [url=http://www.comicart.dk/product.asp?product=1611]this [/url]by accident, and was quite surprised to find that it apparently is residing in Denmark!

I said I wanted it for Christmas. Of course, my husband took one look at the price and asked if I'd eaten nails (which is the Danish equivalent to "Are you bloody daft?!")[/quote:5943391144]

whoaaa... Surprised interesting picture!!

take a closer look at the armor: a wolf's head on the chest similar to Bearclaw's necklace. New Moon on her left side, the same with Cutter. the flaming red hair...could it be Ember in the future?? and what are those creatures she's battling? they look like a bit between Snakeskin and Skimback and green!

Maiken

I want it too! :D But it sure is a lot of money!

Maiken

[quote:e480f69c67="Thitida-No-Chey"][quote:e480f69c67="Redhead Ember"][color=red:e480f69c67]So... this is a [b:e480f69c67][i:e480f69c67][u:e480f69c67]war[/u:e480f69c67][/i:e480f69c67][/b:e480f69c67] to get it first!

And yeah... sure is! Wink [/color:e480f69c67][/quote:e480f69c67]

Neff neff neff, are you gonna be like Wilfire, whom I'm still dreading'll show up on my door step because I own a movie-size ElfQuest poster and DARED show it off on my Facebook? I know she'd steal it if she had the chance![/quote:e480f69c67]

A movie-sized ElfQuest poster? :o

Maiken

Ah.. Grin I should have been able to figure that out on my own.. :oops:

But that is cool!

wildfire

[quote:f7a0483243="Thitida-No-Chey"]Not entirely related to "new" stuff but more to "buy" stuff; but I found this by accident...[/quote:f7a0483243]
Holy crap. 6675 euros? That's a lot of money...!

[quote:f7a0483243="Thitida-No-Chey"][quote:f7a0483243="Maiken"]Ah.. Grin I should have been able to figure that out on my own.. :oops:

But that is cool![/quote:f7a0483243]Except that people are threatening to steal it away from me! :?[/quote:f7a0483243]
And I will. Only.. I can't afford the train-ticket xD But someday I'll be there!
*evil laughter*

RedheadEmber

[color=red:6650362ee2]I'll get there first! :twisted: [size=9:6650362ee2](if only I knew... more precisely... where TNC lived... [b:6650362ee2]Ã…rhus[/b:6650362ee2] is kinda... a little... undetailed...)[/size:6650362ee2][/color:6650362ee2]

KirthelastGo-Back

[quote:b2bf51532e="Kindredsoul"]So out of curiosity.....(shuts my eyes real tight)....what's that in American currency?[/quote:b2bf51532e]

Well, there's a handy-dandy currency converter online at http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi. And said program informs us that 6,675 euros currently equals $9,332.17 U.S.

So Wildfire is right; not a sum of cash to sniff at. Surprised

Maiken

You guys live in Ã…rhus? I want to live their too.. I live in Aabenraa, and [b:935333f3bb]nothing[/b:935333f3bb] ever happens here!

RedheadEmber

[color=red:164b625f06]Yup... I sure live in Ã…rhus! Smallest city in da world... :D [/color:164b625f06]

RedheadEmber

[color=red:344e24bd16]Yeah... you're right... :oops: [/color:344e24bd16]

spiritofthewater

You can now buy this one at ebay. I have no idea what you have to pay since the starting bid is hidden by a "reserve not met" function.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WENDY-PINI-ELFQUEST-BLOOD-OF-TEN-CHIEFS-5-COVER-ART_W0QQitemZ370210585447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5632453b67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2

Embala

WOW ... know it from the BoTC cover ... but this way it's really impressive!

LivietheLurker

I've always loved that picture, it's so utterly, utterly gorgeous. I like the little details that show how it was a much more primitive time for the elves. There's no metal to be had, only flint, her leathers aren't prepared or fitted nearly as well as with the later generations (you can see that in other pictures of Rahnee as well). Added with her physical differences, you really get a sense of a sort of Wolfriders "dark ages".

spiritofthewater

The picture is fascinating, interesting and well made, but I think I would get crazy if I had her staring at me all the time. I'm not even sure if I would like to be in the same room with this painting on the wall. It's not very strange that the humans in EQ usually saw the elves as demons. If I had met her in the forest I would be scared as hell!!

Foxeye

Heh, well, my measly little 300 wasn't enough to meet the reserve. Figure they probably want 1k+, given what it was selling for at the other site. *sad sigh* Man but I want this one. One of my favorite covers ever.

Apogee

I'd also guess at least 1k, it's just a gorgeous piece.

Treefox

That's probably one of my favorite pieces of Wendy art. When I first held the BoTC book in my hands I couldn't stop staring at it, even though I really wanted to start reading.
Actually, I don't find her scary at all. Alien maybe, but ever fascinating. Those eyes! They are so lupine and just draw me in. And I don't even mind the poodle hair, I find it to be a rather neat concept.
I really wish for the money to buy that...

Eregyrn

Can I just add that although I've been an eBay user for years, I still am really irritated by the whole "reserve not met" thing? It's not the idea that a seller can put a reserve on an item that bothers me; that's fine. Just -- tell me what it is! What I hate is the whole coy thing where they make you GUESS what the reserve it.

It's probably related to the auction philosophy, I don't know. (The thing where if someone just told you a price, you'd decide whether it was too much or something you were willing to pay -- but, in an auction, the excitement of a bidding war can make people bid far more than they would otherwise be willing to pay.) It just backfires on me, though. A reserve is a minimum opening bid, and I don't see the purpose of not telling me how much I need to pony up just to get in the game. :x

/rant

Rjjspesh

Quote:
spiritofthewater

http://cgi.ebay.com/WENDY-PINI-ELFQUEST-BLOOD-OF-TEN-CHIEFS-5-COVER-ART_W0QQitemZ370210585447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5632453b67&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2

Yeah, she's really intense. But I love how if you look at for a while, you can really see how the she would have looked in real life. You can see into the EQ universe a bit. Way cool.

I would love to own an original of wendy's- anything. Something she drew on a napkin or while she was sleeping. After reading this I will certaintly look into it.

And that FIRST one! Whoa- someone was right when they commented on the colours. Yow.

spiritofthewater

Does anyone know what's the best way to store drawings? Should they be on the wall, behind glass and frame, or should they be stored in some kind of archive, in plastic bags? I know it is important to keep the air dry, and to avoid sunlight, but I'm not really sure about the best way to take care of them. Since I have two WP originals (posted elsewhere in this forum) I would very much like to know.

RichardPini

Quote:
spiritofthewater

Does anyone know what's the best way to store drawings? Should they be on the wall, behind glass and frame, or should they be stored in some kind of archive, in plastic bags? I know it is important to keep the air dry, and to avoid sunlight, but I'm not really sure about the best way to take care of them. Since I have two WP originals (posted elsewhere in this forum) I would very much like to know.

That depends. Do you want to see/display them? Or just have them? If you want to show them, the best way is first to have them framed archivally by a professional frame shop. They will use acid-free materials and museum (UV-blocking) glass. Then be sure to hang the art away from direct or even strong reflected sunlight, or in a room with strong lighting of any kind.

If you simply want to store art, put it into an archival (acid-free) folder and store flat at no more than 50% humidity, away from temperature extremes.

RichardPini

Quote:
Thitida-No-Chey

Richard, could you possibly tell a little about what was used to make the Rahnee picture? I seem to remember reading that Wendy loves mixing materials. And this looks like such a blend.

Not sure after all this time, but I would educatedly guess gouache and/or acrylics

joselle

Gouache is the devil.

lostshard

Quote:
joselle

Gouache is the devil.

AHaha...that sentence made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight.

RedheadEmber

Erhm... guys... what's gouache?

Minouche

gouache gives the same coverage as oil or acrylic paint, however it has a mate dull finish. It lacks the warm glow of oil paint or the bright intensity of acrylics. The advantage though, is that it's much easier to use for an inexperienced (or impatient) artist.

RedheadEmber

Well... then it must be just the think for me... as I'm both inexperienced and impatient! :D

And... this... is verging on the edge of the dangerous river spam... :oops:

joselle

Quote:
lostshard

[quote:87ab1e3486="joselle"]Gouache is the devil.

AHaha...that sentence made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight.[/quote:87ab1e3486]

:D Sorry I wasn't trying to be spammy. That is just my immedieate and only reaction whenever anyone brings up gouache.

Quote:
Minouche

gouache gives the same coverage as oil or acrylic paint, however it has a mate dull finish. It lacks the warm glow of oil paint or the bright intensity of acrylics. The advantage though, is that it's much easier to use for an inexperienced (or impatient) artist.

I'm gonna politely disagree with you there. (And show how this conversation isn't spam). I am in no way an experienced artist when it comes to traditional mediums. I was, however forced to work a lot with gouache in college (damn you Bruce Claypool!) Every artist has their personal opinion on the matter of course, and I wouldn't say that mine is right, per se. But I can throw up a pretty convincing argument that gouache is THE most difficult of the traditional painting mediums.

Many artists have mastered it in ways that boggles my mind. Some swear by the medium. But I found it incredibly difficult to work with. You can't paint over it without having the bottom colors seep through, which means you can add color, but never truly correct. If you touch the dried paint you'll forever have a thumb print on it, and if you glare at the paint it seems to increase it's desire to thwart you.

Gouache, suffice it to say is Satan's paint.

Richard would no better for sure, but looking at the larger picture, I'd guess it was MOSTLY gouache which leaves me pretty damn speechless at the technique. Not a hint of muddiness anywhere and very, very crisp details. Stunning.

Minouche

(There is a trick to correction with gouache: you don't dilute the touch up paint much. The problem though, is that it's hard then to reproduce the right hue (gouache changes much more as it dries, than the other media).
When I said it's great for the impatient artist, it's because it dries fast...and when I said it works well for inexperienced artists, it's because, without experience, it's impossible to really correct anything without botching the whole piece, no matter the paint we use.
I started to use it in Junior High, at the same time as china Ink. If you want to talk about a devilish medium for correction Wink
at any rate, no matter how often my Junior High art teacher made us sing: "la peinture à l'huile c'est bien difficile, mais c'est bien plus beau que la peinture à l'eau", painting is darn difficult.)

edited to avoid giving Elfpop another headache

RichardPini

I'm afraid I'm going to have to echo MrsGrizzley's request to the board in general: Can we please lose the tiny type? My eyes are still ok but it still is bothersome to have to squint.

Put the little comments in parentheses or something; we'll get the idea that it's an aside. I thank you (though my optometrist may not).

RichardPini

Quote:
joselle

...I am in no way an experienced artist when it comes to traditional mediums. I was, however forced to work a lot with gouache in college (damn you Bruce Claypool!) Every artist has their personal opinion on the matter of course, and I wouldn't say that mine is right, per se. But I can throw up a pretty convincing argument that gouache is THE most difficult of the traditional painting mediums.

Many artists have mastered it in ways that boggles my mind. Some swear by the medium. But I found it incredibly difficult to work with. You can't paint over it without having the bottom colors seep through, which means you can add color, but never truly correct. If you touch the dried paint you'll forever have a thumb print on it, and if you glare at the paint it seems to increase it's desire to thwart you.

Gouache, suffice it to say is Satan's paint.

Richard would no better for sure, but looking at the larger picture, I'd guess it was MOSTLY gouache which leaves me pretty damn speechless at the technique. Not a hint of muddiness anywhere and very, very crisp details. Stunning.

Joselle is correct about all the satanic qualities of gouache. :) But there have been times - and the cover art for Blood of Ten Chiefs #5 was one of them - when Wendy wanted exactly the look that gouache provides - that sort of dusty, earthy, animation-cel-flat look. The same is true of all the covers to the Warp Graphics/Father Tree editions of the color graphic novels.

But gouache was never her medium of first - or even 5th - choice. On the other hand, she was ecstatic to discover alkyds: all the blendability of oils, and the drying time of acrylics. Better living through chemistry!

RedheadEmber

[quote:1293d316ea]that sort of dusty, earthy, animation-cel-flat look.[/quote:1293d316ea]

And that is one amazing look! Guess I've actually been wondering for a while how she managed to conjur it up! Looks like I've just gotten an answer for a question I didn't know I had... :D Thanks!

Trollbabe

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have an opinion about fixing (as in fixative) and storing charcoal, pastels and other soft drawing media?

BTW at least one art teacher advised that rag stock paper should only be picked up with two hands, to avoid buckling. I would add that any archival material is best handled with gloves.

Gouache is wearing lavendar argyle to a croquet tournament - no, that's "gauche"... Gouache? Heard of it, but we never touched it in art school. Maybe its temperamental nature is why. "Satan's paint", for some reason, makes me think of Whiskey Painters of America.

RichardPini

Quote:
Thitida-No-Chey

Darn it... Didn't meet the reserve...

The reserve thing bothers me... If I knew it and knew that I would never be able to make that amount, then I wouldn't be bidding on it... Grah!

Did you message the seller and ask what the reserve was? Nothing says you can't - and often the seller will reveal the reserve privately if he thinks you'll be a serious bidder.

RichardPini

Quote:
Thitida-No-Chey

[quote:deb7ffdf3b="RichardPini"][quote:deb7ffdf3b="Thitida-No-Chey"]Darn it... Didn't meet the reserve...

The reserve thing bothers me... If I knew it and knew that I would never be able to make that amount, then I wouldn't be bidding on it... Grah!

Did you message the seller and ask what the reserve was? Nothing says you can't - and often the seller will reveal the reserve privately if he thinks you'll be a serious bidder.[/quote:deb7ffdf3b]

Admittedly, I didn't... Because I had a feeling there was a reason why it was not displayed... I'll do that next time[/quote:deb7ffdf3b]

Hidden reserves have been a part of auctions forever. The reserve, of course, is there so the seller doesn't have to part with the item if the bids don't meet his minimum selling price. The reserve is hidden, in my experience, because the seller wants bidders to hope they're getting close to it, and to keep bidding. It is a bit of a gamble on both parts.

But there's no "auction law" that says you can't ask. What's the worst that can happen? The seller says no, and then you're no worse off than you were before.

spiritofthewater

sold at cmarket auctions. Information from the web site:

Online Close Nov. 16, 2006 12:59 AM
Opening Bid $150.00
Number of Bids 0 Evil Grin Evil Grin Evil Grin

The label on the picture is something cmarket is using on most of their photos.

Embala

Cool! Love the wolfy grin Grin

Trollbabe

[quote:00f03d1a91="spiritofthewater"]
The label on the picture is something cmarket is using on most of their photos.[/quote:00f03d1a91]

Tee hee, it looks as though it is covering up a wardrobe malfunction of some sort...

spiritofthewater

If the label was placed a little bit higher I would probably think that Cutter was doing something very naughty. Grin

The wolf must be a caricature, since no wolf is smiling, or are they? I don't think so. Cutter looks like he use to do since he has been a caricature all the time.

spiritofthewater

This was sold at Heritage Auction Galleries (for $126.50 Evil Grin ) . A guy named Roger Stern commissioned Wendy Pini to render one of his superhero characters for a portfolio. This is the result:

from 1990.

spiritofthewater

Another one from Heritage Auction Galleries. You can actually buy it, but you have to make an offer. It was once sold for $1,495.00. It is the cover from "Elfquest: The Quest Begins", (Tor, 1996), excellent condition

According to Heritage: "Kelly did this painting of Wendy Pini's Elfquest characters based on her pencil drawing of the composition".

joselle

strange to see Cutter in green and red pants. Surprised

G0lden

All I can say about it is, ohhhhhh I like it a lot. :D

RichardPini

[quote:fd25516fe9="joselle"]strange to see Cutter in green and red pants. Surprised[/quote:fd25516fe9]

The colors were Kelly's choices, though he had plenty of color reference from EQ itself. He was getting on in years when he painted this; it may be one of the last jobs he did. He was a wonderful, generous, humorous soul and we miss him greatly.

http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/freas.htm

Embala

Interesting to see a slightly different take on Cutter!

spiritofthewater

I didn't know who Kelly Freas was, so I did a search. I was surprised to find out that he is responsible for this:

The actual painting is from the 50's, not the 70's

RichardPini

[quote:c4532bac26="spiritofthewater"]I didn't know who Kelly Freas was, so I did a search. I was surprised to find out that he is responsible for this:

The actual painting is from the 50's, not the 70's[/quote:c4532bac26]

Not quite true. The original version of this painting is indeed from the 1950s. He however recreated it to include the members of the band, for the album cover.

From the Wikipedia entry on Kelly Freas:

"His cover of Queen's album News of the World (1977) was a pastiche of his much-admired sad robot cover illustrating Tom Godwin's "The Gulf Between" for Astounding Science Fiction (October 1953)."

spiritofthewater

...yes indeed. Now I notice that the robot is holding Brian May in his hand.

Nowth

It looks half guilty, half reproachful (but what can you do when your face is immobile?)...

Trollbabe

"Queen" would not have been around in the fifties, either. The world wasn't ready for them.

Nightsea

While looking for those commissioned sketches in a thread I found this one.
My coloring of a convention sketch:

:)
--Nightsea

PS: Fixed link

Embala

It's awesome!

Minouche

The link takes me to a totally blank page :? :?: :?: :?:

G0lden

I like that one of Cutter. :D

spiritofthewater

from ebay:

Embala

Great! Nightrunner and Petalwing - not seen often as scetches.

I love funny Petelwing ... but Nightrunner ... He's gorgeaous! :daze:

spiritofthewater

..published in 2004

Willowspring2

wait... are you sure thats Nightrunner and not Star Jumper... Cause that looks like Starjumper

dewshine_lover_1

It does, but then it doesnt...could be either one to me, *must see in color lol*

Thornbrake

Quote:
Willowspring2

wait... are you sure thats Nightrunner and not Star Jumper... Cause that looks like Starjumper

I thought the same thing. Facial patterns definitely look like Starjumper, but there's something about the body language that does suggest Nightrunner.

spiritofthewater

From "The Winged Tiger" comic by Phil Yea.

"The Winged Tiger" is a rather strange comic. It's 90 page long and doesn't contain one single word. Everything is told through pictures. Both Moebius and Wendy Pini made introductions to this story. In the comic the Winged Tiger is disappearing and reappearing through circular shaped objects and through circular forms in the ground. The Winged Tiger is a character drawn to life by a women to bring help and guidance to the world, and the story follows his journey.

Embala

Adorable! :love:

WolfMoonSky

haha so Cute :love:

faeriegirl

super cute! :love:

Willowspring2

poor Choplicker!!! i love his face!!!

And thats adorable!!!

Trapspringer

"The Winged Tiger", huh? And no words. Interesting. Google time.

Laurel

I like Choplickers "big as saucers" eyes, and Ember sleeps on

spiritofthewater

Winnowill from 1989. Sold at ebay a few yars ago.

NEXT PAGE