ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

DigitalEQ

Vettha

Sorry about posting in the wrong place before.

So, I wasn't talking about being cut off the site like what would happen with overloaded servers. I mean that I opened my browser, it went to the place I was at in reading the comic and about a third of the page on the right side doesn't actually fit in the new frame. Which I get is to do with the new flash-based comic viewer taking over and the old way of looking at the digital comics being outmoded now.

See here - http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/FQ/DisplayFQ.html?page=109

I can load the image separately and see the whole thing, but that takes away the ability to easily turn the page.

But if I load the comic through the flash viewer it won't let me skip ahead to page 109 (that's a lot of clicking to get back to where I was). And, as someone else commented, it won't let me zoom in on the pages, so reading them is kind of difficult... and would probably be impossible on a smaller screen than the one I'm using...

Are page selection and a more functional zoom (there seems to be one if I right-click on the image, but it just zooms tight on the top left corner and doesn't allow scrolling around the page) options that can be added to the new comic viewer?

Thanks!

RichardPini

According to the web folks, they're talking with the developer of the reader right now, and there is reason to hope.

Ombradiluna

E' un problema solo mio, o le pagine doppie (al momento sono arrivata alla quinta parte del primo libro, la pagina con l'attacco di Madcoil - fra parentesi, leggere le storie online con questo programma è meraviglioso, sembra quasi di vedere un film! Wink Complimenti, è davvero super!) hanno il testo troppo piccolo da leggere? Ho provato anche a fare numerosi F5 ma senza successo (uso Internet Explorer, by the way).

Is it just me, or the double pages (right now I'm reading book one part five, the page with the Madcoil attack - anyway on a related note, reading the stories online with this reader program-thing is wonderful, it's almost like seeing a film! Wink Congratulations, it's really super!) are too small for the text to read? I tried to refresh page with F5 numerous times but it's still small (my browser is Internet Explorer, by the way)

RichardPini

Quote:

Is it just me, or the double pages (right now I'm reading book one part five, the page with the Madcoil attack - anyway on a related note, reading the stories online with this reader program-thing is wonderful, it's almost like seeing a film! Wink Congratulations, it's really super!) are too small for the text to read? I tried to refresh page with F5 numerous times but it's still small (my browser is Internet Explorer, by the way)

There is a zoom button (small magnifying glass with a + in it) to the lower right of the page, you can make any page larger. Use the zoom out (glass with - in it) to make the page smaller.

Ombradiluna

Sì, stavo leggendo le pagine al massimo livello di zoom disponibile e nelle singole funziona benissimo Smile Il problema è solo nelle pagine doppie... da quello che mi sembra di capire, le singole pagine hanno una larghezza prestabilita nel lettore in flash, e quindi le doppie vengolo visualizzare in qualunque risoluzione della stessa larghezza delle singole, per cui il testo risulta sempre piccolino e poco leggibile (almeno, sul mio computer Surprised), mentre in realtà dovrebbero avere larghezza doppia essendo appunto due pagine invece di una.

Mi sa che sto facendo una confusione epica a spiegarmi, magari posso postare uno screenshot di esempio? Smile

Yes, I was reading the pages with maximum zoom on and in single pages it works perfectly Smile The problem only occurs with double spread-pages... from what I understand of flash, it seems to me that the reader has a standard width for the pages displayed, and therefore the doubles, whatever the resolution is, are showed to be the same width as the single pages, so the text still appears crammed and tricky to read (at least, on my computer Surprised) since they would normally take twice the same width Smile

Argh, I'm getting tangled trying to explain myself, perhaps I can post an example screenshot of what I mean? Smile

RichardPini

Quote:

Argh, I'm getting tangled trying to explain myself, perhaps I can post an example screenshot of what I mean? Smile

That would be helpful, grazie! Wink

Rainy

Hmm weird I see exacgtly what you are saying.

The comic is NOT loaded into the Flash player is the issue.

Your link loaded wrong for every browser I have - Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE, and Seamonkey ... but then I noticed ... your link is and *old* link.

You must have bookmarked that link ... or if not, where did you find it?

Here this is what I mean ...

Old Digitial EQ link for that page:
http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/FQ/DisplayFQ.html?page=109

vs.

New Digitial EQ link for that page (loaded in Flash Player:
http://www.elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/FQ/_ElfQuest%20-%20FutureQuest_page=109#_110

Interesting that the old links still try to load up into the platform's layout.

Ombradiluna

Nessun problema, eccoli qui Smile

Ho caricato due diverse pagine doppie e le singole che le precedono, spero di rendere l'idea.

In generale se lo sfondo è chiaro (come sulla destra nella doppia di Madcoil, oppure nelle due doppie di Discovery) devo stringere un po' gli occhi ma riesco a leggere... invece testo chiaro su sfondo scuro (come nella sinistra di Madcoil o in quella della guerra per il Palazzo) è più scomodo. Almeno per chi è miope come me ;-)

No problem, the links are here Smile

I took a screenshot of two different double-pages and the single pages that precede them, hopefully it will help show what the problem is.

In general if the background is light and the text dark (like in the right side of the double page with Madcoil, or in both double pages in Discovery) I can read the text if I squint my eyes a little... but when it's light text on dark background (like in the left side of the page with Madcoil or the Palace War one) it's a lot more difficult. For someone shortsighted like me ;-)

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7969/singlepage.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4387/doublepage.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9403/singlepage2.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7236/doublepage2.jpg

Tehaar

Hmm, that's a little bit familiar! I have a big enough screen so that I have no problem reading even the double pages, but it is true that I can zoom on single pages at least twice as much as on double pages.

edeyn

I didn't realize there was already a topic about this...

I don't have reliable internet at home, and so would LOVE to have the ability to download and read later. If it's possible, please let me know... or even if it's not possible, let me know! Smile

If I could even just get a big zip to download, it would be grand.

TrollHammer

I'd likr to echo the above to a degree.... Could a toggle be provided for turning off the flash viewer and just view the pages the old way? I currently have no computers availible to me that can be updated to use whatever flash viewer that is needed to read them. As there is about a quarter of the issues ive never read this is frustrating.

As to downloadable packs or even orderable disks... Ive said it before, I would pay for the ability to read the comics without the need of an active internet connection, now especially since i cant even see them with or without internet.

I do thank WaRP for providing them free of charge, so we dont have to trade for origonal books that are decreasing in supply even as the fanbase spreads to the ends of the earth and is bound to boom as soon as word of the proposed movie gets out into general circulation. $10-20 a disk with a series to a disk wouldnt be all that bad imo, with a special price for the "box set" on dvd with say "origional publication version" and "compiled version" for series like futurequest that were broke up origionally.

I can dream...

Trollbabe

How do you skip pages in the digital EQ comics? I'm not having any luck changing the page numbers at the top of the screen.

Embala

I can suggest two possibilities, Trollbabe

1. within the viewer
The left icon in the control bar (4 squares) shows a preview of 45 pages - you can click directly on the page you want. And then return to the preview with the left icon to chose the next. When there are more than 45 pages per issue you can scroll forward to the next 45 pages (and back).

2. outside the viewer
Copy the adress you started with on the viewer and past it in a new window. THERE you can change the page numbers. Make sure that you change BOTH to make it function:
i.e. ... OnlineComics/OQ/OQ05/_Original ElfQuest - 5_page=1#_1
become OnlineComics/OQ/OQ05/_Original ElfQuest - 5_page=7#_7

Hope this will help.