ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

possible spambot

Crucent

Call me a cynic, but I have been on enough forums in my time online to think that henry40zubah is a possible spambot.

I got this mail just now

Hello dear,
My name is Henry a man of 28 years, I have a warm and friendly feeling as I saw your profile today at (elfquest.com) and became intrested in you, I will like to know more about you and I want you to send a mail to my email address so that I can give you my picture for you to know whom I am. If it touches you to be a friend you can reach me through my e-mail address (henry40zubah@yahoo.com) I believe we can start from here to know each other better, distance or colour and age does not matter is only love that matters in life. I will be happy to see a good responds from you. Cheers and have a nice day,
Henry.

I know others have also gotten the exact same mail, even written the same way. Granted he could be copy/pasting the info, but even if he is, I do not like it.
So I would like to ask the Powers that be have a look at this account if it is nothing and just my imagination going wild, I apologize.

Tavie

Totally - I got the same message.

RichardPini

I've banned two "members" now, the one you mention and a female who sent out a similar message to me (and perhaps other male members). I don't think this is a bot, or it's a sophisticated one, as to join you have to do that Captcha "copy the numbers" thing. At any rate, I hope it was a one-shot invasion, but please alert me via here and private message if you spot any more.

Crucent

will do.

miriamthelibrarian

I just got the same message. When I said I wasn't interested, he still wrote back insisting I send him my email addy. I've deleted his posts to my mail.

~Erin (aka. Miriamthelibrarian)

Nibblet

I got the same one too.

areian

I got the one aimed at guys from to different users:
sweetbaby36
love36

Could be nice if the report tool had an option to report spamming, as well as the other violations.
Based on the previous posts in this thread, coupled with the messages I've received, and the details on those profiles, I'd say it's clear that a spam bot has broken the captcha Unhappy

PennyL

I got the same one from henry40zubah@yahoo.com.

RichardPini

Quote:

I got the one aimed at guys from to different users:

sweetbaby36

love36

Could be nice if the report tool had an option to report spamming, as well as the other violations.

Based on the previous posts in this thread, coupled with the messages I've received, and the details on those profiles, I'd say it's clear that a spam bot has broken the captcha Unhappy

Working on that right now. The captcha feature in the forum software "out of the box" is minimal; I've sent an urgent SOS to the web gurus to beef it up. I might be able to do that right now but it involves digging in the code (again) and while I'm still on the learning curve I'd rather they did that.

(Hey, remember the old site? It used to take days, maybe weeks to fix problems. Now, we're generally getting things done in a matter of hours. If we have to put up with bugs, I'd still say the improvement's cause for some joy.)

Embala

Quote:

I got the same one from henry40zubah@yahoo.com.

Dittos!

Trapspringer

Here's one that sent me 4 identical messages. lilian.

http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/sweetbaby36/

(I don't seem to know how to post links that work. Sorry!)

ImSeeker

lucymurrey
lilianzubah

Two more. What I found useful on some forums I admin is to put a simple question that isn't captcha based, but requires at least some degree of intelligence. Like:

Please type in the author's name - it sounds like penny but is spelled with four letters.

as a verification that we're dealing with a human, but keeping the answer simple.

Xiu

I was just hit with one of these louts meself, only the guy was named henery something; i'm a guy meself, and if someone wants ot get to know me I'd perfer it to be one with a hell of a lot better grammar and spelling skills

jeb

Well, now I feel bad. Apparently I give no one a "warm and friendly feeling." Unhappy

willderbeast

I got the same spam messages as ImSeeker and Tymber and a few others. I thought they were pretty hilarious, but I'm kinda curious to know what they meant by showing me their "beautiful pictures." I mean, were they still lifes? Landscapes? Seascapes?

The mind boggles.

Vojira

Quote:

Well, now I feel bad. Apparently I give no one a "warm and friendly feeling." Unhappy

Me neither. Happy No spambot wants to befriend me. Waaah.
Kidding.
Urrrrgh, the sentence "warm and friendly feelings" sends shivers down my spine.Evilgrin

Tehaar

Another spammer, shenxue, has joined the forums.

faeriegirl

No mail here either!

Sequelshard

I received two as well. lillian and someone else...

RichardPini

Quote:

I received two as well. lillian and someone else...

I need to know the full user name on the offending post if I'm going to track these things down.

Xiu

lilianzubah; I just recived another one, only instead of here, in my email itself with the exact same message and username; I am unsure of everyone else, but it is a direct suplicate of everything everyones starting to get here

RichardPini

Quote:

lilianzubah; I just recived another one, only instead of here, in my email itself with the exact same message and username; I am unsure of everyone else, but it is a direct suplicate of everything everyones starting to get here

That user has been banned since yesterday, so I'm hoping your spam email was a delayed transmission.

Xiu

Apparently they attack emails as well, as there was no notice of it being from here in the inbox at all, (last I recall I had PM notice turned off, at least for ones sent to my inbox)

So that said, Hail ElfPop!!

Trapspringer

another spambot

http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/mercy4r/

I got 2 of this message-

Hello dear new friend,

Compliment of the day,How are you today together with your business and your entire family? I guess that everything is ok with you.As is my pleassure to contact you after viewing your profile today at (elfquest.com) which really interest me in having communication with you .If you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better and see what happened in future.

I will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest communication and to know all about each other,here is my email address (giftmmusa@yahoo.com) i will be waiting to hearing from you as soon as you receive this. I wish you all the best for your day.Bye and take a good care of yourself,have a nice day.(Remember the distance,colour or age does not matter but love and understanding matters a lot in life)

yours new friend

gift.

HERE IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS (GIFTMMUSA@YAHOO.COM)

TrollHammer

Yeah, me too. was just checking it out and the browser crashed, I don't even know if it'll let me log in to send this.

EQArtGallery

Taken care of.

What this means, by the way, is that the user has been banned, and the range of IP addresses that he/she was using to log in from has been blocked.

Right now, I don't think this is a bot, the attacks are small and my experience with spambots is that they carpet-bomb. It feels more like one of those gold-farming operations where dozens or hundreds of low-paid drones sit at keyboards for twelve hours a day and actually join sites. Because they are human beings, they can evade the captcha blocks (those letters and numbers you have to copy before you can submit something). On the other hand, a minor blessing, because they are human beings, they have to post spam messages one at a time.

Keep me alerted!

TrollHammer

Another one, similar format, I reported as "indicidual attack":

zita oumar wrote at February 23, 9:36 am.

grace_oumar@yahoo.com

Hello

I read your profile today and it was so good to me.u know that i am interested to be a friend first.i also believe that coming to you will be a probability of meeting that very love that has been lacking in my entire life. please i will like you to contact me direct to my e-mail address, (grace_oumar@yahoo.com) i dont know the posebility of remaing in forum for long time,i will give you a full introduction of my self with my pictures ok. i will be waiting for your mail to my e-mail adsdress(grace_oumar@yahoo.com) as you know

there is no age,race,colour n religion bar when it comes to true love,

cares Grace.

(Funny thing, this 'zita oumar' obviously knows that they are going to be shut down quick, as they actually state it! There are other telltales that are not only similar to other spam PMs, that also denote the amount of time they've spent thinking about doing this, I'm not mentioning it so they won't figure it out, as they don't need any help, but I'm sure the rest of us can figure it out easily. PM me if you can't figure it out.)

Embala

bot or not - new user lilianweah is looking for a man of love - and obviously not even able to differentiate male from female.

Tried to report this user but none of the options seems fitting. Which one shall we choose in future ... or doesn't it matter why we report these folks?

Crucent

yeah i just got a mail from lillianweah too and shes a spammer. She also thinks im a man XD

here is the mail i got:

Greetings From Lilian
how are you today? and how about your health? hope fine and you are doing well I am looking for a very nice man of love, caring, honest, matured, understanding, and of good character, then after going to your profile i pick interest in you, so i will like you to write me with my E-mail address which is as follow,(lovelinebaby@yahoo.com) for me to tell you more about me, and as well give you my pictures because am really looking for a seriously relationship with you. My address is (lovelinebaby@yahoo.com). thanks Yours New Friend Miss Lilian

so, I just wondered, how can she mail me?
I thought she needed to be on my friend list to do that?

Vojira

...do they really believe those massages fool people? Tongue

Leanan

"Compliment of the day"

I swear there's a teacher somewhere in Nigeria teaching people that saying 'compliment' counts as speaking a compliment.

Crucent

I just wish he'd teach them that puctuation is not like a game of "pin-the-tail".
Reading that mail nearly gave me a head-ache from trying to figure out what she wanted lol.

Quiver

Quote:

yeah i just got a mail from lillianweah too and shes a spammer. She also thinks im a man XD

here is the mail i got:

Greetings From Lilian

how are you today? and how about your health? hope fine and you are doing well I am looking for a very nice man of love, caring, honest, matured, understanding, and of good character, then after going to your profile i pick interest in you, so i will like you to write me with my E-mail address which is as follow,(lovelinebaby@yahoo.com) for me to tell you more about me, and as well give you my pictures because am really looking for a seriously relationship with you. My address is (lovelinebaby@yahoo.com). thanks Yours New Friend Miss Lilian

so, I just wondered, how can she mail me?

I thought she needed to be on my friend list to do that?

...I got the same message today.

RichardPini

Quote:

...I got the same message today.

This user's been banned. I am not sure about the settings for getting messages, whether anyone who's a registered user can send them to anyone, or if they can be filtered so that only friends can send/receive them from other friends. The bad news is, because this is not a spambot, but very likely a human being in some room full of other human beings doing the same thing, he/she is able to register and get past the captcha trap - and then send spam. The good news is, because this is not a spambot, we're unlikely to see a wholesale flood of such messages, but rather more isolated (though no less irritating) incidents.

Vojira

Lol. I believe I just got a massage by a spam bot. Sound like some of the ones you guys got.

It's from our new member 'karenbah.'

Hi,Good Day

My name is miss karen , I saw your profile today and was moved and become interested in you, I will like you to send me an email to my address (karenbbkaren@yahoo.in) so that i can give you my pictures for you to know whom i am.

I believed we can move from here? Remember colour or distance does not matter but LOVE matters allot in life). Reply me back with my email address(karenbbkaren@yahoo.in) hope to hear from you soon

yours Miss . karen

WolfMoonSky

Hey!! I got that to 0_0

Vojira

Evilgrin Again lol.

Crucent

I give you, the polite spammer; karenbah.

Hi,Good Day

My name is miss karen , I saw your profile today and was moved and become interested in you, I will like you to send me an email to my address (karenbbkaren@yahoo.in) so that i can give you my pictures for you to know whom i am.

I believed we can move from here? Remember colour or distance does not matter but LOVE matters allot in life). Reply me back with my email address(karenbbkaren@yahoo.in) hope to hear from you soon
yours Miss . karen

I wonder what about my profile moved her, I'd better check on it before she moved from there lol

WolfMoonSky

This is....weird! LOL what does she wants from us.......I wonderHypnotize

Vojira

Productive spammer:
EDIT: No no no! This one is far better.

Productive spammer:

WolfMoonSky

Roflmao

Leanan

I got the exact same message from karenbah.

Startear

I thought she was moved by the things about my dog, so I was almost disapointed when it proved itself that it wasn't XD

Vojira

Richard! We're under attack by a very trigger-happy spambot!

WolfMoonSky

Quote:

Richard! We're under attack by a very trigger-happy spambot!

So true Big_laugh

Startear

*nods*

Tonia

That sucks everyoneNuh_uh ! I'm glad that no-one has been interested in me *phew* Shh

Zinegirl

I've also received the same message from Karenbah Tongue

WolfMoonSky

That woman wants many girls LOL

spiritofthewater

Thank God I'm not the only one. I saw my mail box, and my first reaction was that I had to go out and buy a packet of cigarettes (and I normally don't smoke) since there were a totally strage girl who wanted to get in contact. Then there were five others who wanted to get in contact, and then I understood what it really meant (and now I have 9 cigarettes I have to force myself to smoke, since I don't want to throw away something I have paid for).

I googled one of their names and found out that other people have received messages from the same sender. They have answered and then received this:

SALAAM"u"ALAIKUM,

i know that this is a letter that is bound to take you by surprise and i feel you would hardly expect to read from me since we are just new friand i am writing this mail with full of tears .after reading your profile i decided to explan every thing about myself to you because Almighty Allah have a reason for me to know you .am ready to be with you if you accept me with all your heaet and i also find out that Almighty Allah have a reason for me to know you my present predicament (unpleasant situation) my name is mirian Ammad,24 years old from (Bam-Iran Asia),and a daughter to late Ammad Mohhammad of blessed memory who worked with lranian Embassy in Saudi Arabia for nine years.i lost my father,mother,and a brother during the Earthquake which took place in Bam-Iran on friday 26th December,2003.i am alive writting you because me and my younger brother .we are student in Senegal and we still in Senegal during the time of the land-break and powerful explosion .

i am writting you now from Senegal after the of my father me and my brother can not be able to pay for school fees then we don't have any choice only to seek Assylum in Senegal now we are in refugee camp in Senegal .no shelter,no good food ,oh i give glory to Allah for us to be alive today,

Allah!!! before my father'sudden,he Depossited the sum of US$3.7000,000.00 ( MILLION U.S. DOLLARS) in cash with asecurity/Vault Company.now that he is late [I And My Younger One]are seaching for a reliable,capable and trusworthy person that can assist us claim,receive and safe-keep this fund in his/her custody in his/her country and relocate us to join him/her immediately after the claim as a result of insecurrity of lifes and properties here in Senegal please indicate your readiness to assist us,so that all the information's about this fund will be passed to you immediately .

send to me your full name,home/office Addresses,international identity tel/fax numbers for easy commication.and also assure me that you will not betray me .

at the end.keep this trasaction to yourself only .if this Transaction is properly executed ,i am prepared to give you 10% peasant of the total sum for your kind assist.

you sincerely mirian

The message also contained a virus.

spiritofthewater

Quote:

...do they really believe those massages fool people? Tongue

Some of us are just a bit too innocent for internet I guess. Some of us remember a time before internet when everything was different.

Vojira

'i am alive Really? I was so sure it was a zombie writing massages...Nuh_uh

Leanan

Quote:

Some of us are just a bit too innocent for internet I guess. Some of us remember a time before internet when everything was different.

Some people here know my history with scammers. I, too, thought at first it was a someone genuinely interested in me. I didn't send money but I get phonecalls from Nigeria sometimes.

Vojira

Hmm, yeah. You're right. Smile

Trapspringer

Another one with the Warcraft gold blogs and such.

http://http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/JolinCet33/

chama

Here's another one: http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/vivianlive/
-facepalm-
It also sent me a message saying the same thing as in its status.

Embala

You can report them - each single post or the member itself when you look at the profile. The result will be the same ... Richard will take care of it asap.

Vojira

Oh I feel sooooo loved.

''tinaoumar2011@yahoo.com
Hello
I read your profile today and it was so good to me.u know that i am interested to be a friend first.i also believe that coming to you will be a probability of meeting that very love that has been lacking in my entire life. please i will like you to contact me direct to my e-mail address, (tinaoumar2011@yahoo.com) i dont know the posebility of remaing in forum for long time,i will give you a full introduction of my self with my pictures ok. i will be waiting for your mail to my e-mail adsdress(tinaoumar2011@yahoo.com) as you know
there is no age,race,colour n religion bar when it comes to true love,
cares Tina.

I will like you to contact me direct to my e-mail address, (tinaoumar2011@yahoo.com)
then i will send my pictures & full introduction of my self.
''
TINA OUMAR

''religion bar''...disturbing thought there.

Embala

You too? XD

Guess "she" tried at least for the third time ... and is still confusing genders Tongue
pm'ed Richard - guess she's at least right about her Forum life time.

Sharptooth

I got it, and reported it as "Spam".

Then sent the therapeutic tongue lashing!

Vojira

I have to say that if I didn't know any better, I'd been really confused by this:
''I read your profile today and it was so good to me.''
What? you liked the fact I say don't FQ's from people I've never talked to?? Lady,
you're weird.

Embala

Lady Tina cannot read. The first time I got such a message my profile was empty. Tongue

You realize that she is at least good for something? Half a dozen more forum posts! XD

Quiver

Lol, had a message from Tina too today. She's clearly in love with several of us. Tongue

Sharptooth

lol, *nods* I've heard we elves are irresistible to humans, but this once again proves it.

Trollbabe

Not a word from her. BTW you Elves are irresistible to Trolls, when we are hungry enough.

Sharptooth

@ Trollbabe: Yeah yeah I know, Elves! The other white meat...

PCoquelin

5806 members!?.. REALLY?!

I'm worried.
Usually, the more you can count fake members, inside such a site as our dear Scroll..
..the sooner and more devastating the attacks.

We've had more than our share of those..

..haven't we?