ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

CHARITY AUCTION: All profits to the Red Cross, UNIFEM and UNICEF - New items added! Individual EQ is

Leanan

I hope this kind of thread is allowed here... I just watched a crime series with my mom, Numb3rs I think it was called... there was a comic book auction and I got to thinking... I don't really need to have *all* of the ElfQuest books anymore in my own bookshelf, since I can read them online. Therefore, I'm selling some of them.

But not to fill my own purse. The value of ElfQuest can't be measured in dollars. It can, however, be measured in human lives, and right now, human lives in Japan and Libya and Afghanistan and Iraq and Pakistan and Haiti can be measured in dollars.

I have nothing left to donate. I signed up as a Red Cross volunteer box collector, but they haven't called me back. So I guess what they want is money. At first I thought I'd sell sketches, and I *will* do that, too, but my sketches won't sell for much.

Anyways.

The profits of this auction will go 60% to the Finnish Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund, to help victims of any and all disasters currectly making life difficult for people all over the world.

20 % of the profits will go to UN WOMEN FINLAND, the United Nations organization helping women in countries where they are not entitled to education or health care.

The last 20% will go to UNICEF FINLAND, the UN organization to help children who do not have human rights and children's rights.

These are all the Finland branches of international organizations, because I live in Finland, and it will be easiest and cheapest for me to transfer the money to the Finnish bank accounts of the organizations. You can pay me with an IBAN bank transfer - other payment methods may become available as the auction proceeds, if I can get someone to assist me. I do not own a credit card, so I can't get a paypal account. The assistant will need to be someone I already know and whom I can trust 100%.

The division of the profits is not debatable in this topic. Please respect my choice of charities. If you wish to complain, do so in the Off-Topicisms section, preferably where I can't see you.

Next post will contain items available for sale. Stay tuned!

Leanan

Edit: the items that are still in this post are available 5 more days, until the 28th of this month. Keep bidding!

This auction is open until the 23rd of this month, on which date the highest bids will win. I will not name a precise closing time, I don't know at what time I will have internet access)

Edit: I found my books, apart from 'Blood of Ten Chiefs'... I still think I have one, but I can't find it, so I'm withdrawing it from the auction for now. The others will get prices lowered, because the condition of the books is not as good as I remembered.)

Reader's Collection: In All But Blood
cover is worn in many places, inner pages good condition
Bids begin at $ 100
(sold out in Wolfrider Shop)

Adding other items to the auction:

These are individual Elfquest Comic magazine issues. No starting bid prices, because I have no idea what these are selling for, but I will wait and see what people are willing to pay, and then determine if that is enough for me to part with them. All proceeds to the charities, as listed in first post. I recommend to buy more than one!

ElfQuest: Recognition - Summer Special 2001
In a plastic wrapper, unopened after I bought it, bought from a collector

ElfQuest: Rebels
Issues 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12
Not in plastic wrappers, bought from a collector
I haven't read these at all, covers look to be in good shape

ElfQuest: Jink
Issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
In a plastic wrapper, unopened after I bought these, bought from a collector

ElfQuest: New Blood
Summer Special
Good condition, not in plastic wrapper.

Elfquest: New Blood
'93 Summer Special
Good condition, not in plastic wrapper.

Some individual comic magazine issues and other items will be added to this auction later. You may begin bidding now.

Just post your bid - don't PM me with bids, you may however PM me with questions. Take note that I don't have as much internet access at the moment as normally. I sort of neglected to pay my electricity bill so I'm bunking at mom's for a week. No worries - I won't steal your money! These books are holy to me, and Japan, Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan are holy lands for me, and the people of Libya are my revolutionary heroes. Ask Wendy and Richard Pini whether you can trust me with donations, if my word is not enough. I know these are big sums - that's because I know all these books have been selling for more, and because I know you all just need an excuse to donate to the Red Cross, and I hope the United Nations too...

Leanan

Just to clarify: The Reader's Collection comics are black and white paperback graphic novels (comic books). You can compare prices with the Wolfrider Shop. All the books in the above post are Reader's Collection comics - including the one titled 'Blood of Ten Chiefs'.

The items in this post were sold on the 23rd.

Reader's Collection: Chief's Howl
fairly good condition
Bids begin at $ 80
(new one costs $100 in Wolfrider Shop)
Sold to Hawthorn!

Reader's Collection: Wild Hunt
cover is worn, corner of front cover bent, the back cover's lower out corner is badly bent. (I've bent it, out of sheer unadulterated carelessness... sorry!)
Bids begin at $ 100
Sold to Hawthorn!

Reader's Collection: Shadowstalker
Cover is worn, price tag left a mark. Inner pages good condition
Bids begin at $ 80
Sold to Hawthorn!

Leanan

Additional info to be posted tonight.

Shipping fees: Prices do not include shipping fees, and buyers pay those in advance. Buyers can choose any method of shipping that I have access to in Finland.

How the charity part works: I will make the final donations personally at my bank's desk, and I will ask receipts of all the bank transfers to the charities, scan those receipts, and post them here, to verify that a donation has indeed taken place. I will also authorize the bank to answer questions about the donations. For these reasons, I will not make the donations until I have received all payments - and because the cause of the Red Cross is urgent, buyers have one week to pay their purchases. Books are to be sent after I have received payment.

My full name and address, so you know who I am:

Heidi Laakso
Mäkirinteentie 3 B 45
FI-15860 Hollola
Finland

Don't misuse this - it is there in case someone official (government, lawyers) wants to find me.

Bank info will be PMd to winning bidders.

Leanan

STARTING BID PRICES LOWERED.

I took a good look at my books, and they're not in such a good shape anymore. Truth is, the books and I have had a lot of adventures together. I bought them cheap, and I bought them to read, not to treasure them in pristine condition. I understand if no one wants to buy them. The info in the second post is accurate now, as accurate as I can make it without going through each page. Also, I would like input on why you think there haven't been any bids yet. Basically, I wanted to sell these books, because I hoped someone would want to buy them... but maybe I will have to look for other things to sell to help these charities.

Leanan

(items moved to the second post)

Miz-Diablo

Hey.

I will start with saying how much I admire what you do. The world needs more people like you, who don't just sit and watch disasters, but actually do something.

I intend to make a bid soon, I just have to figure out how much money I can spend on this. I would like to ask if you do have the time to post a picture or two of some of the books, just to get an image of whitch ones they are. I'm espacially interestet ind the Reader's Collections books you have, since they were never sold in Denmark, where I live.

Leanan

Quote:

Hey.

I will start with saying how much I admire what you do. The world needs more people like you, who don't just sit and watch disasters, but actually do something.

I intend to make a bid soon, I just have to figure out how much money I can spend on this. I would like to ask if you do have the time to post a picture or two of some of the books, just to get an image of whitch ones they are. I'm espacially interestet ind the Reader's Collections books you have, since they were never sold in Denmark, where I live.

Thank you. I am hoping this topic inspires other people to act too, instead of just posting copied facebook statuses about prayer and healing energies and earthquake awareness.... no offence intended, but I believe in action, and in deeds that speak for themselves. I have always been a Go-Back at heart.

I don't have photos of the books I'm selling, nor at present any way to get photos taken. You can view the covers in the Wolfrider Shop. Would you like me to post a list of the stories that are included in each volume? The comics are black and white, and paperback.

Miz-Diablo

Quote:

You can view the covers in the Wolfrider Shop. Would you like me to post a list of the stories that are included in each volume? The comics are black and white, and paperback.

Yes, if you do have the time. I would like to see a list of the stories.

Leanan

Wind Hunt & Shadowstalker: Read it online here. (The Wild Hunt Volume ends with Angrif Djun standing at Howling rock, threatening to kill the elves, after that the webcomic is from Shadowstalker)

Chief's Howl:

- Coyote (about Mantricker's adventures with Demontricker, and with a girl called Elona)
- Lessons in Passing (more Mantricker)
- Finder (an elf named Finder)
- Scavengers (Cutter and Skywise as cubs)
- Petalwing's Song (drunk preservers and a troll)

In All But Blood: Read it online here. It includes a Wendy Pini drawn story too, 'The Heart's Way'.

Miz-Diablo

Okay, I have finally decided what I want to bid on. Here it goes:

Reader's Collection: Chief's Howl - $ 90

Reader's Collection: Wild Hunt - $ 100

Reader's Collection: Shadowstalker - $ 90

Leanan

Quote:

Okay, I have finally decided what I want to bid on. Here it goes:

Reader's Collection: Chief's Howl - $ 90

Reader's Collection: Wild Hunt - $ 100

Reader's Collection: Shadowstalker - $ 90

Excellent! Keep watching this topic, I'm accepting bids until the 23rd! Thank you very much for your participation!

Leanan

It is the 23rd, and I have decided I will close the auction now. However, the auction is only closed for the items that Hawthorn made a bid on. The items that have no bids on them will be available for another 5 days, after which time if there are still no bids, I am going to keep them for the time being, and try selling them again at a later date - for charity, of course.

Leanan

Quote:

More precise condition info on Friday. This auction is open until the 23rd of this month, on which date the highest bids will win. I will not name a precise closing time, I don't know at what time I will have internet access)

Edit: I found my books, apart from 'Blood of Ten Chiefs'... I still think I have one, but I can't find it, so I'm withdrawing it from the auction for now. The others will get prices lowered, because the condition of the books is not as good as I remembered.)

Reader's Collection: In All But Blood

cover is worn in many places, inner pages good condition

Bids begin at $ 100

Reader's Collection: Chief's Howl

fairly good condition

Bids begin at $ 80

(new one costs $100 in Wolfrider Shop)

Sold to Hawthorn!

Reader's Collection: Wild Hunt

cover is worn, corner of front cover bent, the back cover's lower out corner is badly bent. (I've bent it, out of sheer unadulterated carelessness... sorry!)

Bids begin at $ 100

Sold to Hawthorn!

Reader's Collection: Shadowstalker

Cover is worn, price tag left a mark. Inner pages good condition

Bids begin at $ 80

Sold to Hawthorn!

Some individual comic magazine issues and other items will be added to this auction later. You may begin bidding now. Just post your bid - don't PM me with bids, you may however PM me with questions. Take note that I don't have as much internet access at the moment as normally. I sort of neglected to pay my electricity bill so I'm bunking at mom's for a week. No worries - I won't steal your money! These books are holy to me, and Japan, Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan are holy lands for me, and the people of Libya are my revolutionary heroes. Ask Wendy and Richard Pini whether you can trust me with donations, if my word is not enough. I know these are big sums - that's because I know all these books have been selling for more, and because I know you all just need an excuse to donate to the Red Cross, and I hope the United Nations too...

Leanan

I have sent the books to Hawthorn.

The total sum of Hawthorn's bid, converted to euros on the rate of the date the auction closed, was:

198 euros and 30 cents.

Hawthorn paid me this sum plus shipping expenses.

I added some of my own money, just a bit of small chance, to round up the donation sum to 200 €.

Today, I went to the bank and donated the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund 120 €, and UNIFEM and UNICEF 40 € each.

I have the receipts, but because my scanner is possessed by demons and refuses to function, I will have to wait until my mom comes to visit, so I can give her the receipts and she can scan them for me.

Leanan

Oh, and remember that Bulletin where I said I'm braiding my hair in four braids?

It's still in four braids. I have earned bragging rights worthy of Kahvi. I gave up ElfQuest books for charity.

Top that. I challenge you. Donate more, give more, fight the gods and win!

Leanan

Hawthorn has received the books, and deemed them satisfactory. Mission Accomplished.

Seeing my Mom on Monday, giving her the receipts to scan!

Leanan

Finally posting the receipts so you can see I really donated the money.

Embala

That's great, Leanan! Happy