ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Comments on the new design and structure

Watershaper

For me there are a few things that I like about the new appearance of the website. But there are also a some things that bother me.

The new design appeals to me and it helps to have the search bar more visible at the top of the site.

What bothers me is that I cannot see the whole thread if I click on a post in the activity feed and that I have to go to the first page of that thread scroll down and than click on last page to see it in its context.

The notifications are another factor that annoys me. They have moved to the top of the page and are now easily overlooked and have to be deleted actively by clicking on notifications on one thread one by one.

Also if you don't have square profile picture, it is pressed into a square in the forum thumbnails. (fixed)

Embala

It's probably not the right time to comment NOW - my moods are anything but high-spirited and I don't know whether I comment on "ready" product - I doubt so because Richard is obviously still working on it.

I might find as much advantages as disadvantages in the new layout - when I finally have managed to find what I used before and to learn what new buttons make. Pretty much of personal preferences are involved here.
My dislike of the optical design is one of these personal preferences ... it makes me shiver. Modern and COOL look for some - cold and exchangeable for me. White and grey and black - without some special avatar pictures this site could be for a discussion about computer techniques or math as well.

It's great that the messed up formatting from the last change is fixed! Finally older threads, especially discussions and stories, can be enjoyed again.

The space allows to post bigger pictures now - would be an advantage for picture artists and others who post pictures.
Same enlarged space makes it harder to "keep on line" when reading fanfic and articles.

The white writing on black background in the quotes is a pain to read. The font in general seems smaller and harder to read for me, but that can be an optical illusion due to the enlarged lines.
EDIT: Learnt from other comments that it IS actually smaller - too small for visually handcapped members.

Links that lead to other pages and threads of the site are broken - again. *sigh ... we just fixed the KIC topic* Links to single posts or pictures seem to be okay.

Finally the GROUPS are messed up - or simply not fixed by now. Fact is that the threads and pictures within the groups are no longer there. They can still be found by search function and google when you know exactly what you are looking for. When I've understood Jeedai right those "Group postings" ended up scattered in the main Scroll of colors and the main gallery.

jeb

What bothers me is that I cannot see the whole thread if I click on a post in the activity feed and that I have to go to the first page of that thread scroll down and than click on last page to see it in its context.

That bothers me, too.

Overall, once I adjusted to the new look, I haven't found the functionality of the site much different.

I know there's been issues with chatting, but I don't chat, so that doesn't bother me too much.

So far, it looks like the "new posts" function and the icons indicating new posts in the forum work better, but I would love icons that show the difference better. Right now the outlines of the piece of paper graphics are just slightly different colors - doesn't exactly jump out at you.

I think my biggest peeve so far is that you have to be logged in see any updates - I know there are many reasons to justify that feature, but I don't like it. One of my biggest objections about facebook is the way it tracks and records everybody's information on the web (even those who aren't facebook users)and this feels the same way - want to be an Elfquest fan? Great, give us your vitals, all your personal information and you can come right in. Otherwise, so sorry, go find some other place to go.

But, that's kind of getting into my personal idiosyncrasies there. If I can visit the forums and post something when the mood hits me, that's probably all I need.

EDIT: I still hate the howling and Petalwing pointer on the first page.

Embala

That reminds me ... I cannot be bothered by Petalwing - because the site sticks in the Howling intro. No chance for me to lock in through the "main entrance". I'm still not sure how I finally got in tonight - either from "elfquest social" or even through the Scroll of Colors.

And there are members who miss the chat badly ... tho I hope this is one point on Richard's list anyway.

Make us three.

jeb

Embala said

That reminds me ... I cannot be bothered by Petalwing - because the site sticks in the Howling intro. No chance for me to lock in through the "main entrance".

Yeah, it hangs up my netbook everytime - as well as scare the crap out of me if I forget the computers not muted (which it usually is.) I also have worked my way around it, but on the rare occasions when I actually do want to visit the EQ facebook page, the only way I know to get to the link is through the preserver guarded front door.

Embala

It's a normal comp here - and it worked fine before the upgrade.

RichardPini

Embala said

It's a normal comp here - and it worked fine before the upgrade.

Not sure what this means?

jeb

Not sure what this means?

I think she means that her computer never used to get hung up at the howling wolf intro page, but now it does, and it's not a device with limited functionality, not like a smart phone that doesn't have flash, or a netbook that doesn't have...really anything.

Okay, this really doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade, but more about the lack of activity/members.

Embala, you mentioned that you wish the chat would be functional again, I wonder if chat isn't part of the reason for the decline in activity since going to this social network format. It used to be that people had their conversations on the forum. True, it could be annoying when sometimes there'd be pages and pages of chatter to wade through, but it was open to everyone, and sometime one discussion would lead to others.

It used to be like going to a party, seeing some friends and sitting down with them and joining in the conversation. Now, it's like going to a party, and as you walk around everyone turns their back to you and starts whispering. You know conversations are going on, but you're not invited to take part.

I guess it just goes along with my feeling since the last upgrade that everything seems designed to exclude people (friending, creating closed groups) rather than open things up to everybody.

Embala

Anyone has an idea how to delete single photos you have uploaded to the gallery? There seems to be a functionto delete albums - but none for single pictures.

G0lden

Ok, my pet peeve is that it is still hard to read the posts. Also the group section is a complete disaster. Comments in the group section can be seen, but none of the individual threads that were within the group section. I guess some of these threads made their way to other parts of the site.

Sigh and here I have to try to find things that I can barely read. Geez thanks for the upgrade, I would have passed it up personally.

Oh, can anyone one tell me how to keep the entire list of those available to chat or not from staying on the page for so blasted long? Damn thing cuts into what I'm attempting to read. this if I can read it.

Note: Found the posts from Tree and Lobster Cantina in the Ultra Secret Under Ground Troll Society with what looks like another group's postings. Does anyone have any clue how to get these posts trnsfered to their correct discussion section in the group section?

Embala

jeb said
I think she means that her computer never used to get hung up at the howling wolf intro page, but now it does, and it's not a device with limited functionality, not like a smart phone that doesn't have flash, or a netbook that doesn't have...really anything.
Jeb is right - and the "front door" seems to function again for me.

Discovered another bug /upgrade accidant: The BULLETINS are gone.

I tried to "revive" Maggie's post about the Calendar project and looked for the bulletins.
... nothing on the dashboard
... no tab in the navigation bar on top
Oh - Explore - BINGO! Bulletins *click*
... great Unhappy - leads me to the blogs (and no bulletins hidden among the blogs)
Moment - the first site where you log in is listing Maggie's bulletin on top! ... going there *click*
... double great Unhappy - leads me to a page called "Maggie Atkinson»Blogs" and guess
... of course there are no blogs. And no bulletin either.

MultiMEDEA

jeb said

Okay, this really doesn't have anything to do with the upgrade, but more about the lack of activity/members.

Embala, you mentioned that you wish the chat would be functional again, I wonder if chat isn't part of the reason for the decline in activity since going to this social network format. It used to be that people had their conversations on the forum. True, it could be annoying when sometimes there'd be pages and pages of chatter to wade through, but it was open to everyone, and sometime one discussion would lead to others.

It used to be like going to a party, seeing some friends and sitting down with them and joining in the conversation. Now, it's like going to a party, and as you walk around everyone turns their back to you and starts whispering. You know conversations are going on, but you're not invited to take part.

I guess it just goes along with my feeling since the last upgrade that everything seems designed to exclude people (friending, creating closed groups) rather than open things up to everybody.

I don't think 'chats' had anything to do with driving away a large portion of many of the most active members here. As the people who were most actively posting/following fanfic and art weren't really the ones who were all that into chatting. Chatting is only incidental at best as to why so many members no longer find this site relevant or welcoming to them.

psychosarah999

I miss the old look and that single post stuff bothers me too! The thing that drives me absolutely crazy though is that i can't post links and pictures in my posts the way i used to! It really sux for posting in elfmom's sketchbook and the dolls thread!

G0lden

Groan, starts thumping head on desk.

Still can't figure out how to get the chat list to collaspe and stay that way until needed.

Oh and still can't read the posts, well not for very long at least, font is still too small.

psychosarah999

G0lden said

Groan, starts thumping head on desk.

Still can't figure out how to get the chat list to collaspe and stay that way until needed.

Oh and still can't read the posts, well not for very long at least, font is still too small.

Double click it!

PCoquelin

Strange thing: I can't customize the 'Body' section of my profile page anymore..
It coincides with the general blue two-tone appearance for the Body section, everywhere (while it was white, before).

Shade and sweet water!

psychosarah999

Strange thing: I can't customize the 'Body' section of my profile page anymore..
It coincides with the general blue two-tone appearance for the Body section, everywhere (while it was white, before).

Shade and sweet water!

You have to click on advanced and put a picture in.

PCoquelin

You have to click on advanced and put a picture in.

I did try and try it, all to no avail.
Maybe it's because it's an animated gif? Maybe because it's big?

Who knows..

Just tried again.
It gets stranger and stranger..
When I revert to standard Theme, it SEEMS to work anew, at the design screen.
So I save..
and then it STILL doesn't work.

hmmmmmmmmmm..

Reverted to Default Theme, did the maneuver again, saved, closed..
and now it works!

Great!

Embala

It's not YOR problem, PC. It's a general disfunction. Since the blueish background shows, all the individual dashboard background disappeared - like the blue is a layer obove the individual decoration.

PCoquelin

Embala said

It's not YOR problem, PC. It's a general disfunction. Since the blueish background shows, all the individual dashboard background disappeared - like the blue is a layer obove the individual decoration.

More like a global theme.
Try the maneuver I just indicated, in my above post!

And PLEEEEEEZE tell me if you see my all-the-Suntops animated background, on my profile page, Embala!

Shade and sweet water.

MultiMEDEA

More like a global theme.
Try the maneuver I just indicated, in my above post!

And PLEEEEEEZE tell me if you see my all-the-Suntops animated background, on my profile page, Embala!

Shade and sweet water.

I see them tiled and animated in the background.

I just wish there was a way to enlarge the text on the Forum pages on the site. I can do it with Google Chrome, but the text then just scrolls off the side and into the black background, then I can't read it.

PCoquelin

I see them tiled and animated in the background.

I just wish there was a way to enlarge the text on the Forum pages on the site. I can do it with Google Chrome, but the text then just scrolls off the side and into the black background, then I can't read it.

My dear dear thanks, MultiMEDEA for checking it!
So it works.

Now, most may try the maneuver I mentioned, and.. I can try other tests!

PCoquelin

__Now, what do they call a 'Cover', in here..???

I indicated a picture for it, as a test, but I don't see what it could correspond to.

Scratches head, all lost..

IDEA! :
What if someone created a sticky thread to help any poor fb-ignoramus like me..
..wondering how it all works, in here?

Embala

Me too ... seeing all the suntop avatars scrolling along, PC Happy

PCoquelin

Embala said

Me too ... seeing all the suntop avatars scrolling along, PC Happy

Cool!
By the way I noticed it's not so easy finding and arranging a picture to fit in that section ( 'Body' ) with satisfying results..

By default, after MANY tries, I finally opted for that animated banner.

Still not so sure about it, though, but it DOES tell my obsession for our beloved 'cloud-head'.

So I think I'll keep it.

PCoquelin

I just begin to understand how the Profile designing system works, but it's quite a work to get only a decent profile page..

1. I see most Profile pages are on the 'Cosmic' Theme:
THIS THEME DOES NOT ALLOW (for now) A PICTURE IN THE 'Body' SECTION..
..hence no background picture for those using (willingly or not) this Theme!
(I reverted to 'Facebookish')
2. A 'Cover' is a picture you can drag to get into position right between the Header and the Content - BEST WAY: go to the pictures saved on your account, and use the context menu: "Use as Cover": you get right to the designing section and you can arrange the picture! ( *whew* )
(I used a close-up of the pencil drawn Suntop)

1. How to control the positioning of Blocks? Can they be sized? What's the meaning of the elements "Position 1", "Position 2", "Position 3" ?
(I removed the 'Mutual Friends' and 'Recently Viewed By' Blocks because I cannot place them right under my avatar: they always come ABOVE it, whenever and whatever I try..)

Well, I FINALLY have a somewhat cool Profile page, so I'll stop here (for now).

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE, all: feel free to describe YOUR problems (and solutions) as well!

MultiMEDEA

I just begin to understand how the Profile designing system works, but it's quite a work to get only a decent profile page..

1. I see most Profile pages are on the 'Cosmic' Theme:
THIS THEME DOES NOT ALLOW (for now) A PICTURE IN THE 'Body' SECTION..
..hence no background picture for those using (willingly or not) this Theme!
(I reverted to 'Facebookish')
2. A 'Cover' is a picture you can drag to get into position right between the Header and the Content - BEST WAY: go to the pictures saved on your account, and use the context menu: "Use as Cover": you get right to the designing section and you can arrange the picture! ( *whew* )
(I used a close-up of the pencil drawn Suntop)

1. How to control the positioning of Blocks? Can they be sized? What's the meaning of the elements "Position 1", "Position 2", "Position 3" ?
(I removed the 'Mutual friends' and 'Last viewed by' blocks because I cannot place them right under my avatar: they always come ABOVE it, whenever and whatever I try..)

Well, I FINALLY have a somewhat cool Profile page, so I'll stop here (for now).

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE, all: feel free to describe YOUR problems (and solutions) as well!

I would like to know how you got the little pencil drawing of Suntop on the left side of your page?

I fiddled a little bit with all of the settings, but it seemed like too much bother for the results given.

PCoquelin

Here's the how:

. 'Design Profile'
. 'Advanced'
. scroll down the parts
. 'Content Holder'
. copy the url of a picture you already uploaded somewhere
   (for me: from a Photobucket private album) in the corresponding frame ('URL:')
. set the Position to : bottom left
. Save
. Close
. go and check on your profile page

Arfurido

AAH. I LIKE IT!

It's minimalistic and cuts straight to the chase. The old look was part of why I didn't bother with this forum anymore. I'm gonna take a tour now and see if the rest of the social part of the site has improved as well.

PCoquelin

AAH. I LIKE IT!

It's minimalistic and cuts straight to the chase. The old look was part of why I didn't bother with this forum anymore. I'm gonna take a tour now and see if the rest of the social part of the site has improved as well.

Thanks!

Have a look here, then..

I have been working at this little 'tutorial' for some time.

If you like it, could you please make it known around, dear Arfurido..?

Arfurido

The only person I'm still in contact with is lostshard, and I think he keeps himself updated on what's going on even though he's not on the forums. I wish I knew what happened to Zebula! And Blackbird, NightAngel, Arthis... gosh! How's you by the way?

Embala

I decided to give this new look and layout a chance.
I wanted to give me a chance to adept, to learn about changed functions and new possibilities.

I've spend the last four weeks with learning, finding out how to use the functions and how to outflank bugs and disfunctions.
I've mended (a small part of) what is broken in my threads and posts during the upgrade, and what ruined previous mending attempts once more.
I helped to gather and rearrange what was messed up.

The previous format wasn't so great. It had flaws and holes. But it was manageable, i.e.:
I had a dashboard - where I could follow all the actions on the social part and the Scroll.
I had a profile - and comments on my profile. Nicely seperated from the crowded dashboard. Some were random. Some were special for me. There was nothing REALLY important ... but I cared for it.

Now I have still a dashboard - providing information of what happens on the social part, galleries and the Scroll. Welcome, necessary but short-lived information I seek and appreciate there.

And I have a wall ... and this wall dublicates all the actions listed on the dashboard anyway. CROWDED. In case the former "profile comments" are still here they are burried under a mass of informations, that are mostly irrelevant or unwanted ON MY "PRIVATE" WALL a day or two after they showed up. They bury day by day more of what I'd wish to keep - and revisit. Being active on a daily rate is punished ... sort of.

And when I delete them? Then it will disappear from the dashboard as well. When others delete their "unwanted" informations to keep their wall clean - I miss part of what happens on the Scroll. I dislike the crowded wall. I dislike deleted comments. Both is unwished - a loss-loss-situation.
I can understand that so many members don't care about readability when they customize their wall - this "content holder" holds the most useless content.

RANT END.

Is this a big deal? I doubt. Is it the most urgent problem with the new design and structure? Surely NOT. It's just ...
I cannot adept. I cannot get used to it.
It is Headbang frustrating Headbang2

PCoquelin

I do understand you, Embala.

My MAIN issues are:

#1: The amount of posts that have been lost (it ruined my 'AVATAR GALLERIES' thread)
#2: The Search system is blocked to ONE page (thus not allowing to find back easily oooold posts)
#3: The lack of participation and of APPARENT concern by Elfpop and Elfmom, here
    (There could, would and should be MUCH to do with them about this site and the promotion of Elfquest)

But it will NOT stop me from being active here.

Vojira

Only thing that annoys me it the 'view single post' stuff. Please get rid of it.

Embala

I wouldn't rant when I don't care. And when I wouldn't be determined to stay and post ... and try to change at least a bit. Smile

What's this with the lost posts, PC? Can you define? How far has it ruined your avatar thread?

There's one thing I think to know:
Since the initial site change every member who cancels the account causes ALL his/her posts to disappear. On the Dashboard and on the Scroll ... and when the member in question has started a thread then the whole thread will disappear.

This way we lost a lot of grab bags when Tymber left. Unhappy

It will become worse for the Scroll, I'm afraid.

jeb

Only thing that annoys me it the 'view single post' stuff. Please get rid of it.

Ditto. That is the top of my list for things I would want changed. Most posts don't make sense without the conversations leading up to them.

PCoquelin

Embala said
What's this with the lost posts, PC? Can you define? How far has it ruined your avatar thread?

My 'AVATAR GALLERIES' thread was so much a continuing thread that when this site lost MONTHS of posts, that thread lost ENTIRE GALLERIES as well, and MANY of them (just check the summary at the first page).
This, along with the disappearing of many members, as well as the fact most elf-friends here don't use my avatars anymore.. led me to utterly abandon the very idea of managing reservation of avatars.

Embala said
.. every member who cancels the account causes ALL his/her posts to disappear.

It's a big issue as well. I'd numebr it #4 on my list. It aggravated the situation.

Embala said
It will become worse for the Scroll, I'm afraid.

Yes, unless Richard realizes how bad it is and makes some changes here.

Watershaper

Since the change I cannot just look in here and then post my response I have click through different pages to see the forum page I want to see sadly I don't have the time to do that for all the threads I'm subscribed to. So I lost track and it's not really fun anymore to visit this website.

jeb

Yes! This site doesn't accommodate at all the way I used to visit here. If getting rid of the single post and having a link take you to the post in the thread is the minimum functionality I would like to have, my absolute dream would be to get back to where we could go to the forum, click on the unread posts icon (and believe it) and be taken right to the post where we left off. Then, we could choose which threads we wanted to spend our time reading (what a concept!) instead of wading through every activity listed chronologically.

Trapspringer

I am not using an older version of Internet Explorer, god dammit, now get off my screen! It's the newest one.

This is getting too modern for my old ass.

Embala

The upload icons in this thread posts don't work for me anymore. Both of them.

I've tested the functun in the first days - posting some bigger pictures in my testing thread. After 5 tries or so all I got was "You have reached your upload limit". Doesn't help that I have deleted these pictures.

*shrug* I host my pics on photopucket - and post them in the threads the "old fashioned" way - with the IMG coding from photobucket.

Nevertheless ... these two upload icons are rather useless - another annoying bug?

psychosarah999

That is my problem too!Headbang2 drives me crazy but what can you do. Nuh_uh *sigh* At least i can still make a link to the picture but it's just not the same....* munches down some dream berries* oh well.

Vojira

but what can you do. Nuh_uh

Oh, I don't know. Spam Richard's account here, go to facebook, spam and that, or ask him nicely to get somebody to fix some of the more basic things...

PCoquelin

Considering the amount of photos indicated by some people's counter on their profile page..
considering the recent history of this site..
considering I, for one, meet no such Upload problem..
considering the differences in photo counters appearing on X's or Y's profile page..

( counts on aug. 5th 2012 )

Embala : 658
DJ Ambient Freak : 584
cometduster : 474
G0lden : 301
katcombs : 290
Firestar : 270
TrollHamer : 176
WolfMoonSky : 129
Jeb : 104
MrsGrizzley : 101
Tenderfoot : 73

Elfpop : 52
Kin : 11

..it may very well be that the users who had uploaded pictures on the FORMER version of the site..
..are the ONLY ones concerned and affected by this issue!

It would be worth asking around if such was the case, wouldn't it be?

Because if it was confirmed, it would most certainly point the MIGRATING SYSTEM for photos, from the former site to the new one!

( the tech's 2 cents )

G0lden

Font. Pure and simple. Make the font bigger!!!!!

PCoquelin

G0lden said

Font. Pure and simple. Make the font bigger!!!!!

ZOOM. pure and simple. Make the zoom ratio higher!

Embala

*customize dashbourd" doesn't provide similar possibilites as for the personal wall. But ...
When you change from "Cosmic" to "Default" you will get a bigger font. Not good - but better!
I'll see how I can make up a (very short) illustration this weekend.

Or ZOOM in on your comp like PC suggested ...

PCoquelin

Embala said
Or ZOOM in on your comp like PC suggested ...

The Web navigator ( Internet Explorer or Chrome, for instance ) comes with a 'Zoom' functionality.

Without it, indeed, the font is too small, here.

But set the zoom to 125% ( like I did ) and it's ok.

Moreso that the Zoom stays the same at each session - no need to set it each time.

Before shrieking: "YOU MIGHT HAVE SAID IT BEFORE!!", all..
..Pleeeeeeze remember I have NO idea how to make a global announcement, in here.

jeb

OK, I know that posting anything here is just kind of shouting into the wind, but in the off-chance that someday someone with some influence in the site's design does read this, a new annoyance has come to my attention.

When you upload an image, there is no way to include a comment as part of the upload. It must be added after the picture is uploaded. Then there are two items on the activity feed, which seems to be a unnecessary redundancy.

While I'm at it, it would be really great if we could choose which thread posts show up on our dashboard. Then we wouldn't have to wade through posts we're not interested in and spend so much time hitting the "View more" button and waiting for the screen to refresh.

That's it for now, dear website fairy. There will be cookies and milk left out for you...

Vojira

jeb said

When you upload an image, there is no way to include a comment as part of the upload. It must be added after the picture is uploaded. Then there are two items on the activity feed, which seems to be a unnecessary redundancy.

Damn, ninja'ed. XD That's getting on my nerves as well.

Embala

So you can post more than one attachment:

- you have to add the link,
. post the comment/link,
- refresh the page,
- edit your post and it will let you add another link.
You have to do that for every one.

Credit for figuring out goes to FireStar - Thank you very much!

Embala

Something that started in the off-topicisms ... think it will fit here.

jeb said

What I'm wondering now, is how people use this website since it's gone over to a more social network format. What is the most effective method of sharing art or stories?

Embala said
The Scroll of Colors!
I am a "thread-girl" and will always prefer this to other possibilities when it comes to presenting and commenting on (fan)art a writing. Threads allow to comment in context, to give one comment for several pieces - no need to repeat everything like in single comments, and THEY COME BACK.
A blog has the advantage that the comments do not break the story - but a blog will disappear in the background and never come back. I DISLIKE blogs.
Photos/art in galleries ... *sigh* must admit that it DOES make sense. And when you do it right you can find the pics easily. But I cannot get used to it.
What? ... Oh, you say I'm old-fashioned and not flexible? You are right! Tongue

jeb said
No, I'd say you are thoughtful and logical, and obviously not of the generation of the 5-second attention span.

But I still noticed that after the first site change, most of the activity seems to have shifted to the activity feed and the threads got very little attention. Although that seems to be swinging back the other way now.

I originally thought I would just ignore everything that wasn't on the scroll, but when I do, I always feel I'm missing something. I wish we could get back the functionality we used to have in the scroll.

My humerous self-blame was not directed at you or someone special, jeb - but to the "anyone" who might think so.

Back to serious ... I had much time to think about this site, the changes, the new functions and the "old-fashioned" Scroll.

We cannot ignore the social part for many reasons:
1. It's there - everybody can make use of it according to their preferences. We shouldn't ignore part of our tribemetes.
2. It is used - we will necessarily miss interesting ideas and thoughts that can spark a discussion, fun and personal words when we skip it.
3. It is the place where newbies naturally will show up first - a reason to be very attentive! We should greet them, offer support if needed ... give new members the feeling to be welcome and among friends.
4. Last not least - life is change. When we refuse to adept we will be left behind.

Should we concentrate on the social part and its functions then? And forget about the Scroll?
High Ones - NO!

I have stated before that I dislike blogs. I have confessed my problem with galleries. Following a slightly longer discussion via activity feeds drives me crazy. It's clear where I come from - and where my preferences are. Nevertheless my thoughts might be worth to be considerd.

Many (?) of us got the impression that the reason for all the changes this site went through partly was to make it more facebook-like. That's at least what I've read in comments and remarks.

If it is close enough to FB more members will join.
If it is close enough to FB people will stay here.
If it is clove enough to FB activity and life will return.

So far it has not functioned ... and I doubt that it will "just because it is like FB". In contrary.

Why should someone join, stay and get active here because it is like a miniature FB?
- the friends are still on FB
- other interrests and activities the member participates in take place on FB
- ElfQuest is on FB, of course. And it makes sense, because "the world" is on FB.
- ElfQuest on FB - that is animated activities, regular informations and personal contacts with the creators.

So why should someone become active on EQ.com "because it is like FB"? FB as a bigger social platform always will win. And the only reason I can see to do the same thing at two different places is to have a backup.

There is one thing this FB layout is good for - people who visit will feel familiar enough with design and functions to look around and stay for a bit ... before they go back to FB. To hold at least part of them we have to offer something different, something they don't have on FB.

We have the Scroll of Colors!
We have threads with gathered knowledge.
We have threads for ongoing discussions.
We have regular and ongoing activities of our own.

PCoquelin has made a "panorama", a sightseeing tour through the Scroll in his blog A website I love and on his profile page (when you are curious enough to go on a quest for it Wink)

We have this one chance to be different, to be better as FB for those who are interested in more. But all this will only function when the Scroll is alive - when there are active threads insead of nostalgic archives.

Vojira

I can't figure out why the notification box deems it important I know Firestar (or anybody else) posted a comment on something I wrote a comment on. O_o

Vojira

Considering the amount of photos indicated by some people's counter on their profile page..
considering the recent history of this site..
considering I, for one, meet no such Upload problem..
considering the differences in photo counters appearing on X's or Y's profile page..

( counts on aug. 5th 2012 )

DJ Ambient Freak : 584

..it may very well be that the users who had uploaded pictures on the FORMER version of the site..
..are the ONLY ones concerned and affected by this issue!

Eh.I haven't had any issues whatsoever when it comes to uploading. I just have to make sure it has a specific size or the site throws a hissy fit worthy of a four year old kid. But that's how it's always been.

PCoquelin

Eh.I haven't had any issues whatsoever when it comes to uploading. I just have to make sure it has a specific size or the site throws a hissy fit worthy of a four year old kid. But that's how it's always been.

Thanks for confirming this hypothesis of mine is wrong.

It means there's something else going wrong for some users, about the Uploading system, in here..

Embala

I can't figure out why the notification box deems it important I know Firestar (or anybody else) posted a comment on something I wrote a comment on. O_o

Because the notification box thinks you like to keep on track of threads you have signed up for.
Or to notice a comment on some activity feed you have made and commented on.

What's irritating for me: There seems to be no possibility to "unsubscribe" for some kinds of notifications - like comments on pictures, on polls or quizzies, or activity feeds. I'd like to have a choice.

PCoquelin

Embala said
There seems to be no possibility to "unsubscribe" for some kinds of notifications - like comments on pictures, on polls or quizzies, or activity feeds.

FORTUNATELY, you CAN un-subscribe for notifications BY MAIL!

Well, at least I did so with no problem..
..and I can assure you it was a relief!