ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

To Holt or not to Holt?

Leafpath

Hi everyone. I've peered at the list and it looks like none of the holts accept original characters. I understand why this is (for uniformity and such), but I'd like to go the complete opposite!

Why not have a holt made up of completely original characters? I suppose we could separate them into mini-holts in case we get some really good original ideas (fox-friends, anyone?)...

Opinions? Suggestions? Let me know!

Leafpath

Absolutely! An RP sample of 2-3 paragraphs (or more, if so desired) would have to be a must-have in the application process.

I'm not sure if I should even have any canon characters, just to save on relying on them. Perhaps they could be NPC'd, but only if the person believes they can be true-to-character...
Hmm...

Oh, sorry, when I meant original characters, I mean a fan character. (The RP world has too many terms, heh!)

Dreamcat

Hi everyone. I've peered at the list and it looks like none of the holts accept original characters. I understand why this is (for uniformity and such), but I'd like to go the complete opposite!

Why not have a holt made up of completely original characters? I suppose we could separate them into mini-holts in case we get some really good original ideas (fox-friends, anyone?)...

Opinions? Suggestions? Let me know!

I like your idea! I´d like to participate with Dreamcat.

Leafpath

I just checked out these tips, and I think I've got a slightly better idea of how I want to do this.

It'd be a forum with very very minimal activity requirements, as in post once a month but it's not strictly enforced. Yearly activity check, no character deletion unless requested...There'd be an admin team (probably consisting of the first 2-4 people who show interest in making different 'cultures'/'tribes' what-have-yous...)

Adoptables would be created separately if I decide on offering them. It's very likely that I won't, as most people want a character that is entirely theirs, am I right?

Random major event every few months? That'd be doable, I think. Natural disaster, Recognition, human attack, etc...

I'm not a very good plotter, so there'll likely be a simple basic premise and we let the story evolve from there...hmm...

Any further suggestions?

Dreamcat

I never played any Rp onine. How does it work? Is there a discribtion somewhere?

Redmane

Its basically just text storytelling, Dreamcat.... you play a character and write small posts with other member's characters to develop stories or scenes and what not. It's fun because it's with other people and you never know what someone else is going to write and its sometimes a challenge for your character because unpredictability can be adventurous Wink

Leafpath, I'm more than willing to help out when I can

Not all posts are 'small'. I have a lot of rping experience [especially with my girlfriend] and some posts can be big as houses [for rp posts]. But it depends on if there's a character limit/minimum. Or if the person has a lot to do with the character, etc. It all really depends.

I myself would be willing to help as well, should you need or want it. I have some good ideas on names, rules, and plots or just general things of interest, should it come to that.

Back to pondering specifics for this thing.

Redmane

True. It is rather intimidating. At least if you're doing in character ones. The ones that set up the basics, rules, histories, and the like do need more leeway in that department, though. At least in my experience.

Leafpath

Novel posts? You're chattin' with the writer of an occasional 6 paragraph post. Wink

Anyways, I've got some basic ideas down and I can tell you this much...

Universe details:
- Oakleaf Holt
- 4 tribes:

- Shared holt w/ trading:
-Sea: focus on mining, fishing
-Forest: focus on production (leathers, forging)
-Plains: focus on gathering, hunting

Forum details:
- Yearly (!) activity check
- No character deletion (unless on request)
- Events quarterly (natural events, recognition, etc...)
- I'll design 5 themes (default, spring, summer, winter, fall) :D

I also have a cruddily drawn map, but I'll save that for later. Suggestions on Oakleaf Holt would be welcomed!

Dreamcat

Well, seems to be quite uncomplicated. Are there any rules? Like char-sheets or typos (to mark thoughts, sending, etc.)?

Allthough it would be my first online RP, I have many years of RPG-experience. I even helped my friends inventing our own RPG-system and world. If I can be any help (world-, cultur-, history-creation), I´d gladly do so.

Will it take place in Abode?

Leafpath

Well, seems to be quite uncomplicated. Are there any rules? Like char-sheets or typos (to mark thoughts, sending, etc.)?

Allthough it would be my first online RP, I have many years of RPG-experience. I even helped my friends inventing our own RPG-system and world. If I can be any help (world-, cultur-, history-creation), I´d gladly do so.

Will it take place in Abode?

1) Rules will be created once I get the forum set up. Tongue They're pretty basic rules.
2) Char sheets will be labeled as applications, and there will be a template for them, no worries! Smile
3) Thanks for the offer! I'd love help shaping out a plot/history to set the scene.
4) Yes! There might be mentions of canon characters, but I don't think I'll be letting anyone play them...or I could appoint a really really really big fan to approve canon applications. Those applications will be super strict, I think... I'm not sure yet.

Angelalex242

If you want to set up a Holt that lets people 'play canon'...

IE, somebody apps Cutter, somebody apps Skywise, etc...

I'm in.

I've always wanted to play a Feature/Canon based Holt.

Leafpath

If you want to set up a Holt that lets people 'play canon'...

IE, somebody apps Cutter, somebody apps Skywise, etc...

I'm in.

I've always wanted to play a Feature/Canon based Holt.

I'm debating on it still. What worries me is that people could go way out of character with it... Maybe I could do two? One with just canon, no originals and one with all originals, no canon (aside from mentions, of course). Or perhaps that's too much to do for little ole me... Would you like to start your own canon holt? I'd be happy to help you brainstorm things for it. Smile

Angelalex242

It's not as easy to go out of character as you'd think with features.

I mean, were you expecting somebody might try to make Redlance a Berserker? Or Nightfall a quiet stay at home girl?

Common sense stops most of it.

Admittedly, though, I don't have enough time to officially RUN it myself. I am confident in my own ability to play canons, however, mostly because I've done it in other genres before. Particularly anime and video games.

Dreamcat

Do you already know at what age the play will start? For exemple, was the palace already conquered by the original chars? If you plan to mention them or let them appear, that would be good to know. It also gives some hints of the world, like cultural-standard of possible humans.

Angelalex242

Because I, personally, would like to set things at a time where the characters' path forward isn't already written...

I actually recommend starting after the Recognition special. Ember just ordered her team to disable the fire slings, and Khorbasi to get the kids out.

How that war is waged and won vs. Angrif Djun would make a killer place to start.

Because Angrif's got a several thousand man army behind him, there's no shame in Ember calling dad for backup...and that introduces the rest of the Wolfriders.

Leafpath

Do you already know at what age the play will start? For exemple, was the palace already conquered by the original chars? If you plan to mention them or let them appear, that would be good to know. It also gives some hints of the world, like cultural-standard of possible humans.

I haven't gotten that figured out yet, sorry...
It's been a while since I tried to make something so complex! Tongue

jeb

Because I, personally, would like to set things at a time where the characters' path forward isn't already written...

I actually recommend starting after the Recognition special. Ember just ordered her team to disable the fire slings, and Khorbasi to get the kids out.

How that war is waged and won vs. Angrif Djun would make a killer place to start.

Because Angrif's got a several thousand man army behind him, there's no shame in Ember calling dad for backup...and that introduces the rest of the Wolfriders.

You could always do this as a fanfic! Puppy_eyes

It might not be RP, but you might find some other writers who would be willing to collaborate. Kind of like the ElfWest thread.

Angelalex242

I certainly could do that as a fanfic...but if I wanted to do that, I'd simply write it and post a link to it in the writing thread. I wouldn't propose doing it in an RP environment.

Dreamcat

Okay, we need some decisions. Let´s put the canon-chars-question aside for this moment and start to plot the holt.
Biggest questions: WHERE and WHEN
We should start with only one tribe, since we don´t know how many players will participate. That means we also need to decide weather it has a "common" (or altered) culture or a completely new one. Let´s gather ideas and then start a voting. Considering this basic concept, the details will be easily made.

Redmane

Okay, we need some decisions. Let´s put the canon-chars-question aside for this moment and start to plot the holt.
Biggest questions: WHERE and WHEN
We should start with only one tribe, since we don´t know how many players will participate. That means we also need to decide weather it has a "common" (or altered) culture or a completely new one. Let´s gather ideas and then start a voting. Considering this basic concept, the details will be easily made.

Good idea. But the basics are the most important, really. And only one tribe would be best for the moment. Now, if this grows to the point where a large number join and are active [or enough of us want to expand the story or some such], we do need to have backup ideas that can be implimented. Just seems fair.

While I could get into specific details like 'is it only Elves in the area' or whatever, gonnahold back for now.

Angelalex242

So...does someone have something against the War vs. Angrif Idea, or what's up?

StarShine

WEll we know it'll be elfquest.

So why not make it a new batch of elves, a new patch of dirt, unexplored?

I agree with the single tribe for the moment (other tribes can be added later, but a single tribe gives us common bonds to deal with.

Now are we dealing with just OCs (Original characters?) which could give us some interesting outlooks and world views.

Dreamcat

You mean, we´re homeless and have to found a new holt first? Interesting idea, but it throws up other questions like "why are we holtless". Maybe we´ve nomadic tribe-culture? Maybe were forced to leave? Maybe we split up from our parent´s tribe?

StarShine

All fun things which could be very fun to answer. My suggestion ( which I just wrote up a moment ago)

These 'elves' have been cast out of their old home ,due to a catastrophy, all the natural disasters of the world have forced them to leave their various home lands:

The Verdant Jungles & Forests -Destoryed by Fire
The Deserts- Destroyed by flash floods
The Plains, Tundras & Steppes- Droughts and the die-offs of the animals that the hunters relied on.

In the end the elves come together in a great conclave and decide to strike out for new territory. The tribes had once a sing entity and so they were again. The great exodus of the elves. They elves constructed boats and set sail for a a far away contient, from which they were said to have come.

-The basic premise is that tribes that have been seperated for some time have now rejoined and have managed to get together on a single boat- which subsequently is ship-wrecked on a new continent.

That's about all I have for the moment.

So essentially a series of natural disasters forced the tribes to merge (or perhaps tribes met up along the way and younger tribem embers grouped together.

My other suggestion is one I will take from my other game. Let people be who they want. but don't box them in too mcuh.

http//:mermaids.b1.jcink.com - My game, Beneath Sea and Sky. I gave a 'vauge' set up but I let characters do as they wished, I didn't say well you're from such and a such a 'group' and you have to be in this way.

I mean a good example would be the Pirate- know as the Shark (he was seafolk)- but hated his OWN KIND to the point where he'd actually kidnap young ladies (usually scare hem and then let the go to some degree, or sell them as a ummm servants.)

Dreamcat

That´s a good story. But it seens difficult to fit to the existing timeline. We still want to play on Abode, don´t we?

Redmane

I for one assume we're still on Abode. At least to my current knowledge. Sometimes it's hard to keep a lot of plots for a lot of different stories and series in your head. Mind you, as I've noted before somewhere, my knowledge of the landmasses in Abode is limited, what with only knowing up to Kings of the Broken Wheel and Rogue's Challenge in full with a scattering of Hidden Years and Shards. I do know there are other places in the already discovered continents but, far as I know, there still might be room to use on them or a whole new landmass yet to be discovered.

Dreamcat

Hmmm... I guess an extra continent is possible if needed. Still biggest question is WHEN?

If we decide to start in the future (after Ember´s and Angrif´s fight), we could play an yet undiscovered tribe on a new continent or a new inter-cultural tribe, founded by members of the existing, reunited tribes.

If we play in the past, like before the discovering of the palace, we could play e.g. in the "new land", which is yet undiscovered by cutters tribe.

Redmane

We also have the possibility of during the 10,000 or so years between when the Palace is discovered and when Rayek returns with it to merge it with the Past Palace. But even so, it all really depends. We have options and that's the point. Personally, I figure we could do anywhere before the humans get medieval but, as you said, 'New Land' is better for the past since we don't really know how much territory was covered by the various tribes/groups during the seperations.

Embala

Need a map?

click to enlarge!

btw: Once I tried to convert this map into a globe - with the result, that either the continents must be MUCh bigger ... or that there is more than room enough for another continent. Or lots of bigger islands ...

StarShine

Redmane said

We also have the possibility of during the 10,000 or so years between when the Palace is discovered and when Rayek returns with it to merge it with the Past Palace. But even so, it all really depends. We have options and that's the point. Personally, I figure we could do anywhere before the humans get medieval but, as you said, 'New Land' is better for the past since we don't really know how much territory was covered by the various tribes/groups during the seperations.

I think playing in the future with a tribe made up of diffierent tribes might be fore the best, topns and choices and could allow us to bring in some fresh-blood (literally)

Dreamcat

I think playing in the future with a tribe made up of diffierent tribes might be fore the best, topns and choices and could allow us to bring in some fresh-blood (literally)

I gives the possibility of canon-chars as well.

StarShine

I gives the possibility of canon-chars as well.

It does, but I feel like the Canon characters may to be put on 'hold' because Wendy is finally releasing the final Quest, and that my change, or may or break what we know. So it maybe best to leave canonical characters out, and simply play them without, canons until FQ finishes.

Dreamcat

Leaves the question: new tribe out of the existing ones or undiscovered new tribe? The first gives the possibility to play a member of any tribe already discovered. The second leaves room for own cultural creations.

StarShine

Leaves the question: new tribe out of the existing ones or undiscovered new tribe? The first gives the possibility to play a member of any tribe already discovered. The second leaves room for own cultural creations.

Could do both. A tribe that formed from young members of discovered tribeds and the broken remenants of undiscovered tribes.

Angelalex242

Original Characters are done to death. You caught my eye SPECIFICALLY because you mentioend the idea of doing a Feature/Wendy Created Character Holt. Almost nobody wants to do those.

StarShine

Original Characters are done to death. You caught my eye SPECIFICALLY because you mentioend the idea of doing a Feature/Wendy Created Character Holt. Almost nobody wants to do those.

I think one of the reasons no one -wants to do a Feature/canon Holt, is mainly because the characters exist, their stories told, and then with some authors, writers, and their legal reps- people have gotten into trouble (See the Late Anne McCaffrey), we know that Wendy and Richard probably wouldn't do that, but part of the reason still stands.

much of the 'Wolfriders stories, have been told, tribes surrounding them have been discovered, and grown due to interaction.. to continue playing once the Final Quest closes is a bit silly (unless we do something different.)

Angelalex242

That line of reasoning seems to be pretty unique to Elfquest. I've been in a lot of other genres where people jump at the chance to be Feature Characters, particularly in Video Games and Anime. And Even DC/Marvel comics. There's a lot of people who want to play Batman, not somebody they made up, after all.

Dreamcat

A reason for this may be that Elfquest is a character focosed story in terms of character developement. For exemple Batman is always Batman. There´s no point in his story where his character dramatically changes. That makes it easy to play.
I personally have no problem to play with canon-chars, since this is only a game. But I don´t have the confidence to play such complex characters myself in a satisfying way.
Also, the stories invites to come up with own characters.

Angelalex242

Well, it's about belief more then anything. If you don't believe you're up to the challenge of playing a feature as well as their creator intended, you won't be. But if you believe you can do it, you can.

Leafpath

A canon holt would be interesting, but I think for creativity's sake, it should be set prior to Cutter's chieftainship since we know so much about what's happened since he got his chief's lock. Then again, it smacks of too much character creating...

(I'm still pondering Oakleaf Holt (I think it'll be an OC only board), but I get the feeling there's not much interest in it. Maybe I'll just make it sometime this weekend and see how things go...)

Dreamcat

That´s good news! Let´s get started! I´m in with Dreamcat. ^^

Eregyrn

Glad to see this developing! I think that an active group that is focused on allowing folks to join and create their own character is something that the fandom can really use right now!

I totally understand the reluctance to join a group by adopting an existing character who may have a lot of history. Of course, in most groups, all of those existing characters were once someone's original creation... and that person just left the group, putting the character up for adoption. It's definitely a decision that every group has to face -- what do you do with characters abandoned by their creator? And how do you make room, storytelling-wise, for new ones to appear? I definitely would encourage you to consider figuring that out, along with your group's plot -- in fact, it will probably wind up being an integral part of the plot.

What I mean is -- say you start with a wolfrider tribe, and you start with 5 members who create their own characters, and you create a few NPCs. And that tribe doesn't know of any other existing wolfriders. So, 6 months from now, when you get a new member -- how will you introduce their new character? Will you say that all later new characters will be from other tribes who are in-story new to your wolfriders? Can you think of a way to introduce new wolfriders, if that's what someone wants to be? (Once belonged to a different wolfrider tribe, perhaps?) That kind of thing.

I think you're on a good path, by allowing for several different tribes in the world, but starting with just one.

Anyway!

I mainly wanted to say -- when you figure out where you will primarily play, let me know in the thread I keep up as a directory for groups, and I'll be happy to add you! And good luck! Smile

Leafpath

Quick note: I'm starting with Wolfriders as the founding tribe, as it seems like it's the most popular.

I'm sure we can expand soon enough. Tongue

Angelalex242

Wolfrider is totally the best tribe to start with...

But it looks like I'm decidedly outvoted on the canon holt...or, more accurately, the war vs. Angrif Holt.

Leafpath

But it looks like I'm decidedly outvoted on the canon holt...or, more accurately, the war vs. Angrif Holt.

The only reason why I didn't comment on that is because I honestly have no idea what you're talking about...but I feel like I should.

Angelalex242

Recognition special. It ended with Ember ordering her people into war vs. Angrif, and ordering Khorbasi to save the kids Angrif ordered slain.

If you haven't read Recognition special, what I'm saying wouldn't make much sense.

Leafpath

Recognition special. It ended with Ember ordering her people into war vs. Angrif, and ordering Khorbasi to save the kids Angrif ordered slain.

If you haven't read Recognition special, what I'm saying wouldn't make much sense.

Yeeeeah, don't think I've read that one. Ah, well, I'll check it out when I finish The Rebels arc.

Dreamcat

Ok, I´m registered!
I looked around a bit and got...confused. o_o
Can you give a quick crash-course to someone never played any online RPs?

Jeedai

My 2 cents on the Abode map (based on an old deleted thread and some ideas I've had since)...

Starting from the premises that 1) the canon map is a Mercator projection (the kind of map that makes Greenland look huge), and 2) the map could be of the planet during the time of an ice age (the Palace crashes in a temperate forest but 10,000 years later it's surrounded by continual cold weather)... I've put together a map that with those two things in mind. And ended up with this:

The image is a Mercator projection that ends at the 75th parallels North and South. The "Limit of Northern Ice"/ "Limit of Southern Ice" regions named in the map are roughly at 45 degree North and South, which kinda-sorta approximates the reach of the ice sheets from the RL Ice Age(s).

Not only would this premise give plenty of space to the East and West to fill out with new lands -- its exactly twice the width of the original map -- but also to the north and south. On earth, the northern "ice line" would be close to the latitude of Seattle, Washington.

Note this still doesnt mesh, probably, with the travel distances given in the closeup map of Iceholt from the RPG.

Jeedai

If anyone wants to know how it looks on a globe...

(click to enlarge)

Embala

That's excellent, Jeedai!
Well founded, comprehensible and last not least it looks fab. Thumbs_up Especially the globe "turnarounds" caught my eyes.

Angelalex242

Ah, well. Even if this is OCs only...where's the link to this new site?

Dreamcat

Ah, well. Even if this is OCs only...where's the link to this new site?

Here you are!

Angelalex242

So, I have an account, haven't made a char yet. Gotta get a question or two answered...

StarShine

Proboards? Really? Jcink would have been a better choice in my opinion (a few more nifty features and its got helpful people.)

But that's my 2cent.

But they are right, with the map, there's a lot of unexplored territory.

So what's Oakenleaf holt have so far? (I ask, because I might do a game, but I wanted to check before I decided on a course of action, so as not to overlap.)

Leafpath

Oakleaf's got a really open-ended path right now. I only have a section for Wolfriders set up, and the other tribes are still TBD until we get enough people/if people show interest in play those. The tribes are sea-folk, plains-folk and wanderers (in case people can't seem to find a place to fit). Names are subject to change, of course. Smile

If that's not what you were looking for, feel free to ask again! Smile

Tam

I joined up...gosh, I'm so nervous. Smile It's been a long time since I played...I've missed it so much. Mostly ran my own games, which died due to lack of interest. I really hope this works out!

Leafpath

Oh goodness! I'm so excited! Welcome, Tam! :D

Tam

Oh goodness! I'm so excited! Welcome, Tam! :D

Thank you, thank you! :D I'll have a character for you soon.

StarShine

THis is really making me want to start up my mermaid site again. They are strongly influenced by EQ.

Tam

Just have to let everyone know; we're doing well, we've got a good vibe going, strong characters...but we could always use more! Smile

Tehaar

What kind of characters do you need? I might check out the new holt as both my old holts are going on quite slowly if at all. Tongue Do you need relatives for existing characters or possibly someone with a certain position in a tribe? I'll go check out the site and see if I have inspiration for a character. (This is for original characters, right? Do you have adoptables as well?)

I guess I might find the answers by myself, but just thought I'd post anyway. Wink

Edited to add: More questions! Is this based on canon EQ world? Because I haven't read much of the newer stories in the EQ world, for instance I haven't read anything with Teir in it... So I really don't know what's happened if the canon stuff exists in Oakleaf Holt. But I guess it doesn't exist there? That's what I gathered anyway... I'm not too interested in anything canon myself, but otherwise I'm open for pretty much any ideas. So I guess I just might create a character! Smile

Tam

Tehaar said

What kind of characters do you need? I might check out the new holt as both my old holts are going on quite slowly if at all. Tongue Do you need relatives for existing characters or possibly someone with a certain position in a tribe? I'll go check out the site and see if I have inspiration for a character. (This is for original characters, right? Do you have adoptables as well?)

I guess I might find the answers by myself, but just thought I'd post anyway. Wink

Edited to add: More questions! Is this based on canon EQ world? Because I haven't read much of the newer stories in the EQ world, for instance I haven't read anything with Teir in it... So I really don't know what's happened if the canon stuff exists in Oakleaf Holt. But I guess it doesn't exist there? That's what I gathered anyway... I'm not too interested in anything canon myself, but otherwise I'm open for pretty much any ideas. So I guess I just might create a character! Smile

Yes, this is original characters only. Smile We do not currently have adoptables. Some people have relatives listed in their character sheets, so if you're interested in a relative, you could always ask to play one of them. We also have people who are open to having relatives.

In terms of positions...I don't know that there's anything we really NEED, but we do have some stuff missing. We have no healer, but plenty of herbalists. (I personally prefer to play with no healer. *chuckles*) We have no tanner. We DO have a weathershaper, two treeshapers, a metalshaper, a soil shaper...I think that's it in terms of magic. Our hunting party is probably five.

We're mostly Wolfriders, but Go-Backs will be coming soon. We have one Firstborn and one half-Sunfolk, so we're open to other canon tribes. And yes, we are playing on canon Abode, but we don't have any canon characters PLAYED...they're just mentioned. It's not super important to be caught up on the new EQ storylines. Smile It's just that our Chief is Blood of Twelve Chiefs. So we used a LITTLE canon as our basis, and have branched out since. Smile

Lemme know if you have more questions! We're wrapping up our first plot, and we're often talking in the chatbox.

Tehaar

Sooo what happened to the original EQ characters, if they're not played? Are they NPC's in the tribe or dead or did your elves leave the original Wolfriders? I didn't notice that it's in the canon world, but now that I look again, I see it mentioned in a few places on the Oakleaf forums. Smile

I guess if it's not too important to know that much about the original (newer) lore, I could join the holt! Maybe I could make a tanner character. I guess the magic-users are pretty much covered, and I don't mind playing an elf with no special powers. He/she could be a hunter and a tanner/cloth-maker.

How old are the characters? And what is the male/female ratio? If I can balance out the tribe with my character choice, I'd like to do that. :D So I can make an agemate for someone who doesn't have one or a possible mate or whatnot. I didn't find the character sheets, so I guess if no one requests a certain relative/friend/love interest here, I'll just go with whatever I feel like. (Since I need to make the character before registering on the Oakleaf forums, I think.)

I'm in Europe, so I guess I'll be missing a lot of the chatbox talk. But maybe I can keep up anyway. Smile

Tam

Tehaar said

Sooo what happened to the original EQ characters, if they're not played? Are they NPC's in the tribe or dead or did your elves leave the original Wolfriders? I didn't notice that it's in the canon world, but now that I look again, I see it mentioned in a few places on the Oakleaf forums. Smile

I guess if it's not too important to know that much about the original (newer) lore, I could join the holt! Maybe I could make a tanner character. I guess the magic-users are pretty much covered, and I don't mind playing an elf with no special powers. He/she could be a hunter and a tanner/cloth-maker.

How old are the characters? And what is the male/female ratio? If I can balance out the tribe with my character choice, I'd like to do that. :D So I can make an agemate for someone who doesn't have one or a possible mate or whatnot. I didn't find the character sheets, so I guess if no one requests a certain relative/friend/love interest here, I'll just go with whatever I feel like. (Since I need to make the character before registering on the Oakleaf forums, I think.)

I'm in Europe, so I guess I'll be missing a lot of the chatbox talk. But maybe I can keep up anyway. Smile

This tribe splintered from the canon tribe, so the canon characters still exist, just not in our Holt Smile

You absolutely do not need to make a character first! Join anytime Smile You can check out the other characters, the CIS is in a particular forum.You can look through the current characters in a little sidebar on the left. In terms of demographics, we have five females and four males... and I think we're about to get three more females. So we have a serious male shortage. Most of the elves are probably between 200-500, so young adult to middle-aged. Our Firstborn is 10,000.

You're allowed as many characters as you can keep up with, btw. Smile I'll be making my third soon.

Tehaar

Okay, nice! I'll go register as Tehaar and make up my mind about my character. I already had an idea about a male character's characteristics last night, so I think I'm good to go soon. Smile

Edited to add: Character application sent!

Angelalex242

Wolfdancer (Yes, that name probably sounds familiar) is in this universe Blood of 12 Chiefs, the son of Ember and Teir, and has inherited Teir's rather formiddable animal powers.

So he's still got a pack of 12 wolves following him around, which as chief, he uses to keep things coordinated when he can't be everywhere at once. Wolf howls end up working kinda like relay towers.

Tehaar

Hehe, so I noticed! I guess he fits well as a chief. My character won't be any challenger to him, rest assured. Smile I PM'd my character application to Leafpath and even wrote an opening post in advance since I was so excited about the new holt, heh. I guess I should wait to be approved first. :D

Leafpath

I didn't expect for this thread to get any more activity and then suddenly I'm getting a whole bunch of emails and I got super excited!

Tehaar, I'm going to go check out your application riiiiiiiiiight....now!

Tehaar

Thanks for approving my character so fast! I'm very excited to get back to RPing in the EQ universe. :D

StarShine

Envy... so much ant but the proboards thing isn't my cup of tea (i mean the forum software)
I'd totally play but.. I feel like attempting to start something like I've done the last too times isn't gonna work.

Starfall

I holt my own, but that's due to all the holts I ever found being RP by email only. I'm sorry, I can not be glued to my email all day. In fact, my job doesn't have email.

Tam

I holt my own, but that's due to all the holts I ever found being RP by email only. I'm sorry, I can not be glued to my email all day. In fact, my job doesn't have email.

Well, Oakleaf uses a forum system, not email. We have a Facebook page too, but that's just for...sharing art, bouncing around ideas, chatting, whatevs.

Starfall

Tam said

Well, Oakleaf uses a forum system, not email. We have a Facebook page too, but that's just for...sharing art, bouncing around ideas, chatting, whatevs.

But do people highjack a thread? Cause if no one wants to wait half a day for me to reply, it doesn't help me much. See, i'm in a job where being online at all is impossible.

Tam

But do people highjack a thread? Cause if no one wants to wait half a day for me to reply, it doesn't help me much. See, i'm in a job where being online at all is impossible.

Oh gosh no. No hijacking. We prefer to take turns...someone starts, people respond, and we like to wait for everyone who wants to to respond before we start a new cycle. If that makes sense.

We also have some sizeable timezone differences...some of us are Americans, and others are in Europe. So we're used to having a wait a bit.

Starfall

Oh wonderful! I got use to email Holts where it moved so fast I literally couldn't keep up. Are original characters allowed? I wouldn't mind playing a couple myself.

Tam

Oh wonderful! I got use to email Holts where it moved so fast I literally couldn't keep up. Are original characters allowed? I wouldn't mind playing a couple myself.

Absolutely Smile We actually do not have adoptables. We have a couple guidelines for characters, which you can find on the site. Right now, we're introducing Go-Backs into the game, so if you'd like to play Go-Backs, that'd be AWESOME. We're also really short on guys, but no one's going to say OMG YOU MUST PLAY A GUY. We're also fairly full on magic users, but again, no one's going to say you can't play one.

You can have as many characters as you can keep up with. Smile

You can PM me here, or any of my accounts on the site, and I'll help you out. Smile I can also approve your character when you submit. Smile

Starfall

Ok, I'll take three. two males and a female (cause I've been wanting to play one!) Might I post them under one account and when approved create two more accounts, or post one elf per account?

Tam

Ok, I'll take three. two males and a female (cause I've been wanting to play one!) Might I post them under one account and when approved create two more accounts, or post one elf per account?

You can do all three under one and create two more later if you want. Smile Fyi, you can use the same email address for every account; we don't use the email, but now you don't need to have three separate emails in addition to three separate accounts on proboards.

Starfall

Oh thanks! I'll get to work on them!

Tehaar

I forgot this thread! Good to see you coming into Oakleaf Holt, Starfall. We'll definitely allow time for everyone to post. Sometimes some games get carried away a bit if several people are online at the same time and it's very intense, but that's by no means a rule. As a rule, we wait for everyone's posting turns.

And to let everyone else know, the Holt has gotten rolling so nicely! Games are going smoothly. If anyone wants a little brief on recent plot twists and who's-who, I can help as well. Smile

Edit: I'm Hawk!

Angelalex242

Holt is still going strong, and still looking for new people!

Wolfrider tribe is full, but Go Backs are still recruiting.

Angelalex242

Situation has changed!

Go Backs are full.

Wolfriders are recruiting (males only)
Wavedancers are recruiting (all)

[Deleted User]

Situation has changed!

Go Backs are full.

Wolfriders are recruiting (males only)
Wavedancers are recruiting (all)

Very tempting if I could think of a character...

Starfall

Do it, we need members!

[Deleted User]

Do it, we need members!

Have to think of something. Last OC I ran was a plainsrider solo with a pet swordfoot. Do not think that would work.

Tam

Oakleaf Holt is closed to any new members until further notice!

We simply do not have the space to accommodate anyone else. We may be opening a Plainsrunner tribe in the future. Once we open to new members, I'll make an announcement here. Smile

Starsong

I agree that there should be an OC holt. If you made one, I'd love to join it ^.^

Question - Will you allow cubs?

Diana

I've never participated in a holt, even though I've heard the word when I first started reading Elfquest.
What is it? How does it work?

Starfall

Oakleaf is still open to new people. We need a male and a female wolfrider and wave dancers. And cubs are welcome!

Starfall

Diana said

I've never participated in a holt, even though I've heard the word when I first started reading Elfquest.

You write paragraphs as the character you created. A holt is basically where the elves live. An online holt is where the writers being the elves write for them.

Embala

Tam said

Oakleaf Holt is closed to any new members until further notice!

We simply do not have the space to accommodate anyone else. We may be opening a Plainsrunner tribe in the future. Once we open to new members, I'll make an announcement here. Smile

Oakleaf is still open to new people. We need a male and a female wolfrider and wave dancers. And cubs are welcome!

*sneaks in* puzzling ... Good_bad *sneaks out*

Starfall

Embala said

*sneaks in* puzzling ... Good_bad *sneaks out*

Well, they it read yesterday they wanted new members to take over those...but I dunno. It confuses me too. I have 3 characters there myself.

Tam

We are not open to new people. We are generally closed, due to a string of horrible new people who were terribly insulting, and because we simply do not have much space. We will CONSIDER new people at this point, but many of our members have multiple characters in the three tribes we have, and anyone new may feel a little left behind, only having one character. We don't NEED to fill the tribes...we only have one male spot in the Wolfrider tribe, and two in the Wavedancer tribe, for one male and one female, or two males.

I hope this doesn't discourage anyone for the future, as we will be open if we ever open a fourth tribe, which will be a Plainsrunner tribe. But right now, the only people we're willing to accept have to be dedicated, polite, and have a basic, first-hand knowledge of Elfquest. I know that probably sounds like a given, but one of the latest trouble newbies had never even read the books, and called us all elitist assholes, so we're a little wary.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and we can talk about it.

For the record, we absolutely allow cubs. *chuckles*

Tam

Tam

Well, they it read yesterday they wanted new members to take over those...but I dunno. It confuses me too. I have 3 characters there myself.

To clarify, what we posted on the forums is that we are opening our current available slots to our current members. Before, we wanted to keep them available for new members, but those people were not sticking around.

As I said, if anyone is really itching to join, come talk to me.

Starfall

Tam said

We are not open to new people. We are generally closed, due to a string of horrible new people who were terribly insulting, and because we simply do not have much space. We will CONSIDER new people at this point, but many of our members have multiple characters in the three tribes we have, and anyone new may feel a little left behind, only having one character. We don't NEED to fill the tribes...we only have one male spot in the Wolfrider tribe, and two in the Wavedancer tribe, for one male and one female, or two males.

I hope this doesn't discourage anyone for the future, as we will be open if we ever open a fourth tribe, which will be a Plainsrunner tribe. But right now, the only people we're willing to accept have to be dedicated, polite, and have a basic, first-hand knowledge of Elfquest. I know that probably sounds like a given, but one of the latest trouble newbies had never even read the books, and called us all elitist assholes, so we're a little wary.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and we can talk about it.

For the record, we absolutely allow cubs. *chuckles*

Tam

Sorry I misunderstood!

Tam

Diana said

Essentially what Starfall said. Smile You have your characters, and you write what happens to them, then someone else takes a turn with their character, so on and so forth. The mods provide an overall plot that usually lasts a season or two. There are threads we'll make that everyone can participate in, like big council threads, or feasts, or howls, or hunts...things like that. And there are smaller threads you can make between your character and another character, or a couple other characters, so you can write something more personal and develop relationships of all kinds between your character and the rest of the tribe.

Our game has three tribes: though we call ourselves Oakleaf Holt, we have a tribe of Go-Backs and a pod of Wavedancers. They are all separate, but there are opportunities for crossovers. And while this sort of round-robin storytelling is the bulk of the game, we also have many visual artists and writers who draw scenes and avatars, or who write longer fics and stories.

We might not be actively accepting many new people at the moment, but we'll always take readers. Smile

Yanclae

I would like to see cities on our world become tribal estates that adopt humans into a holt, after an individual discovers his or her "soul name" and goes by that name when becoming part of such a holt.

Where the mayor has the right to expell citizens upon reaching independence (self-sufficiency). Where there is private property, but the resources would be shared and administered in harmony with nature's cycle.

Tam

Yanclae said

I would like to see cities on our world become tribal estates that adopt humans into a holt, after an individual discovers his or her "soul name" and goes by that name when becoming part of such a holt.

Where the mayor has the right to expell citizens upon reaching independence (self-sufficiency). Where there is private property, but the resources would be shared and administered in harmony with nature's cycle.

I think you give humans too much credit. As a species, we're kind of assholes. I would absolutely not trust a single human with that kind of power, to expel someone from the tribe based on their own self-sufficiency. I think many would abuse that power for their own petty reasons. Don't like that family? Expel their kid! And what does self-sufficiency mean? What exactly is the test they need to pass to earn this title? What if they don't pass?

How does a person discover their soul name? I'm pretty comfortable with my given name. I might have had it given to me, but it works for me, because I've made it mine. I understand the concept of a name calling to you...feeling like one just fits better than the other. But what if I never found that? Or what if it's the name I was given?

That sounds too much like...well, communism, or those science fiction movies/shows where someone needs to create a new civilization and they can only take the "useful" people. Because that's the only way this would even have a slim chance of working. Modern infrastructure would have to be destroyed, and a significant portion of the human population would need to be culled. And how would anyone decide that?

Dreamcat

Yanclae said

What you´re wishing for is basic communism. That concept failed in larger scales all over the world. It may work for smaller groups like tribes or families.
Also it throws up the question of who´d decide. A chief? That´d be monarchy.
All in all, one can say something like that is totally reactionary. 'Democracy sucks? Let´s go back to the stone ages!'

I don´t really get why you posted this in here. This thread is about a certain website.

NEXT PAGE