ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Losing a Holt to Play in Is Like Character Death

Redmoon

Hello all! I was dropping a thread here to start discussion about players who have had their holts ripped out from underneath them. Personally, I want to extend an invitation to do something unprecedented. I would like to form a Holt specifically made up of surviving characters from lost tribes or failed games. Run by all of us, moderated by a council of 3 to 5 players, all of which will be voted on by the entirety of the players, who will use skype or uploaded vids of dice rolls to determine major turns of events, conversely, I have a dice roll generator on my pc and can take screenshots of the rolls. i am an experienced roleplayer of many kinds of games from live action to table and dice to card games. I am looking for people who have a burning desire to see a game to the end for a character that was just blossoming into something really fun when the game was cut short/cancelled and that character went into imagination limbo. As an aspiring writer, I feel i have a way to merge the characters via storylines and welcome input and creative contributions of all players. i am just burning for a chance to play a character into its death, albeit from uncharacteristic old age or the way a wolfrider truly lives and dies, by the turning of the moons. Well? Anyone game so to speak?

Embala

Personally I'm not a roleplayer - never was and never will be. I can see how hurtful it can be to loose a "home" and a character untimely, though. Spoilt fun and a nagging void. Unhappy

I wish you good luck with this Holt of Survivors, Redmoon. Hopefully you will find other players and make it work. Thumbs_up

StarShine

Embala said

Personally I'm not a roleplayer - never was and never will be. I can see how hurtful it can be to loose a a "home" and a character untimely, though. Spoilt fun and a nagging void. Unhappy

I wish you good luck with this Holt of Survivors, Redmoon. Hopefully you will find other players and make it work. Thumbs_up

I'd like to, I've found that in characte discussion is easier over text, and OOC (out of character dicussion) woks better over Voice. Just a suggestion but I like the idea!

Redmoon

text and ooc discussion is how its really done, just throwing it out there to see how comfortable players are with face to face

Redmoon

Ideally I wanted a forum based set-up where we place our posts in a string like narrative. Short stories for players that have specific events they want narrated their way, and a wait a week then politely move on allowing the "skipped" character to edit themselves into the narrative later within reason of course policy. I need a minimum of three players to work this from a start up position. Since the story will involve picking up stragglers, it will be neat to see what tribal "cultures" these different characters have. I hope those who bring their characters bring their pasts and back-stories with them and their patience as there will be no posting requirement. Also when we gather enough players I was planning on role-playing a chief's challenge as inevitably, someone will need to lead if the group gets large enough. That'll be fun, and we can use dice rolls for that particular combat/scene allowing players to chat and play (copy and pasting it into a text document and then posting it for all to see)or submit a written synopses of probable character reactions or if they have no desire to participate in the chief's challenge simply write in their reactions.

StarShine

I love this idea and volunteer the planet Veritas. see the bbpost in thus forum which could work well for a Holt of survivors! or you know as the world!

Redmoon

Planet Veritas? I always thought it would take place on the world of two moons. no one ever said the planet of Two-Moons wasn't big enough for other tribes to exist in the original world. However, if having it on Veritas wold allow us to jump in faster, I just hope it has two moons in it's sky at night. Also whats bbpost?

Tam

I've experienced this with pretty much every holt I've been in. My very first, and my own, both died during a period of time I had to devote to Real Life...resurrecting my holt was not successful. Had a couple others that merged into one, that one died slowly, despite my continued efforts to keep people around, and then the other two mods just dropped out.

Playing in Oakleaf now, I'm certainly afraid of that happening again. It sucks to think about. But there's no reason to right now; we're going strong. And although I've had lots of characters over the years, I found an opportunity to bring one back to life at Oakleaf; Allegro (the albino in the middle).

I'll admit that the idea of RPing over Skype is intriguing, but I am far too shy for that. *laughs*

Redmoon

Tam said

I've experienced this with pretty much every holt I've been in. My very first, and my own, both died during a period of time I had to devote to Real Life...resurrecting my holt was not successful. Had a couple others that merged into one, that one died slowly, despite my continued efforts to keep people around, and then the other two mods just dropped out.

Playing in Oakleaf now, I'm certainly afraid of that happening again. It sucks to think about. But there's no reason to right now; we're going strong. And although I've had lots of characters over the years, I found an opportunity to bring one back to life at Oakleaf; Allegro (the albino in the middle).

I'll admit that the idea of RPing over Skype is intriguing, but I am far too shy for that. *laughs*

The face to face roleplay was just a pipe dream because I have played live action rolepaying games and it was tons of fun. I am however very interested in finding a way to "ressurect" so to speak my character that was on the verge of adulthood and had just discovered her place in the pack. Either i start my own, or look for a place that will let me write my character in.

Tam

The face to face roleplay was just a pipe dream because I have played live action rolepaying games and it was tons of fun. I am however very interested in finding a way to "ressurect" so to speak my character that was on the verge of adulthood and had just discovered her place in the pack. Either i start my own, or look for a place that will let me write my character in.

You're welcome at Oakleaf. Smile

Redmoon

Tam said

You're welcome at Oakleaf. Smile

how do i get started? visited the page read the rules and some of the plot but I can't see anywhere on the page to contact anyone about getting registered and started and all that good stuff.

Embala

Huh? You've followed the link in Tam's signature, I suppose?

Right beneath the beautiful header is a "button" bar - at the right end you can click "register".

Redmoon

Embala said

Huh? You've followed the link in Tam's signature, I suppose?

Right beneath the beautiful header is a "button" bar - at the right end you can click "register".

you don't need permission to register?

Tam

you don't need permission to register?

No permission necessary. You'll need permission to start PLAYING. Wink

Redmoon

Tam said

No permission necessary. You'll need permission to start PLAYING. Wink

ah! okay then, beginning the long approval process then lol

Tehaar

Can't wait to meet your character at Oakleaf! Smile

I just looked through my gallery and remembered all my old characters and Holts as well. I kind of miss them, would be fun to know what happened to them, hehe.

Pyre

You could just find a good friend or a group of good friends, and round robin rpg. I've done this numerous times in an online text-based chat, although our posts when we really got into the flow of the rpg (yes they were using our own original EQ characters that had survived from dead holts), were enormous.

XD You lose time when you're seriously having rpg-fun.

~ Pyre

Peacekeeper

Hello all!

I know what you mean! I've been in and out of holts for over 30 years now like a revolving door cave!!! I liked my last holt real well, they have a great story and it was fun, but the same dilema every time...turnaround time to reply with your charry takes 2-3 weeks sometimes. I want to reply 1 or 2 times a week! I know real life can slow it down, but too slow can get a story very bogged down! So I just want to find a holt that can accept my bearrider Peacekeeper as he is and have fun interacting! I've been a role-player for a long time and love these stories/games. It's like creating your own EQ story, so cool! Can you guide me to a holt that can do this? If so, thank you so much!

Steve Thomas (Peacekeeper)

Pyre

Hello all!

I know what you mean! I've been in and out of holts for over 30 years now like a revolving door cave!!! I liked my last holt real well, they have a great story and it was fun, but the same dilema every time...turnaround time to reply with your charry takes 2-3 weeks sometimes. I want to reply 1 or 2 times a week! I know real life can slow it down, but too slow can get a story very bogged down! So I just want to find a holt that can accept my bearrider Peacekeeper as he is and have fun interacting! I've been a role-player for a long time and love these stories/games. It's like creating your own EQ story, so cool! Can you guide me to a holt that can do this? If so, thank you so much!

Steve Thomas (Peacekeeper)

I've never heard of a bear-riding elf XD. Kudos for being original. I wouldn't know of a holt to be honest, as I've been out of holt-rpgs for quite a few years now. I suppose I just don't have the energy to read through a whole list of holt histories, to tailor characters, and everything else if the holt is going to be inactive or fall over.

>.> To moi it's just a wasted effort.

Good luck though.

You might have a better chance of finding a holt to play your elf in.

~ Pyre

Peacekeeper

Pyre said

I've never heard of a bear-riding elf XD. Kudos for being original. I wouldn't know of a holt to be honest, as I've been out of holt-rpgs for quite a few years now. I suppose I just don't have the energy to read through a whole list of holt histories, to tailor characters, and everything else if the holt is going to be inactive or fall over.

>.> To moi it's just a wasted effort.

Good luck though.

You might have a better chance of finding a holt to play your elf in.

~ Pyre

Thank you Pyre, we'll see how it goes. Been doing mail and rpgs online for some time, but everytime I look there's either no activity or we've filled up they say. I'll keep looking, been having fun when there is one but want to find one with more activity.

Pyre

Thank you Pyre, we'll see how it goes. Been doing mail and rpgs online for some time, but everytime I look there's either no activity or we've filled up they say. I'll keep looking, been having fun when there is one but want to find one with more activity.

Np ^__^. Yah it can be hard finding a holt that's active. Might not be the best time of year though with the Xmas holidays coming, plus new years. Yah it's early yet but the holts I was in tended to crawl around the end of the year. We were kinda DED by mid to late December going into early January. Most of the time we weren't active again until early Feb or late March the next year. XD.

Crazy fun.

~ Pyre

Peacekeeper

I'm going to try an interactive storyline roleplay for now to see if anyone wants to join in and create a story with replies to it just to see the creativeness from it. Something to do in the meantime.

Peacekeeper

Interactive didn't work, but trying again with Wildwood Holt.