When I search for the tread:

The 'Requested pictures' thread <SPOILERS INSIDE>

...for the moment found here:

http://www.elfquest.com/social/forum/1/all-the-many-colors/page_2/

..I receive no results.

I have also tried to search for: The Requested pictures thread

...but with no results.

I tried to search for the tread:

The elf/elves you'd like to wrestle in the furs with (age 18+ ONLY)

...and I got no results.

If I search for:

"The elf/elves you'd"

...I get no results

I have tried to search for treads with shorter titles and they are shown.

The thing is:

If the title of the tread is too long it will not be shown by using this forum's search engine, at least on my computer.

Embala

I don't know how well search maschines work on other boards.
- Can be a characteristic of the search maschine used here.
- Can be one of the bugs on this site.

I sugest to search for only one characterisitic word (or two) in the title of the thread.

And make sure to look in the right "folder" - like in "all-the-many-colors" for the "Requested Pictures".

Two-Edge

It's not really a search engine. It's a stringsearch. It can't handle boolean operators. Search one string at a time. This can (eh, usually will) however leave you with a great many searchresults.

spiritofthewater

Sorry about the first post, but it's not about the amount of characters. I REALLY have a lot to do so I couldn't spend to much time on this, but I've now been able to dig a little deeper.

It's not about the length of the phrase. It has something to do with: '

When I go to the search function at this page:

http://www.elfquest.com/social/forum/1/all-the-many-col ors/

...and use "search this forum", I get no results when I type:

The elf/elves you'd

There is a tread called: The elf/elves you'd like to wrestle in the furs with (age 18+ ONLY)

When I type:

Favourite clothing

...I find the tread. There is a tread called: Favourite clothing style

Both search phrases have 17 characters.

When I type:

you'd

...I get no results

When I type:

style

...The search engine is able to find the tread (same amount of characters), and I get: Favourite clothing style.

When I type:

elf/elves

...I get the tread: The elf/elves you'd like to wrestle in the furs with (age 18+ ONLY)

...so it seems to me that the search engine have a problem with: '

Am I the only one who experience this?

------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

control check:

Let's take the tread: Who/what do the elves' voices sound like?

elves' and voices both have six characters. When I search for:

elves'

...I get no results.

When I search for:

voices

...I find the tread: Who/what do the elves' voices sound like?

...again: Am I the only one who experience this?

There may be other characters that the search engine can't cope with, but for the moment I don't have the time to look into it.

Two-Edge

In wich case ' is clearly an operator in the searchfile and can hence not be used in the searchstrings.

spiritofthewater

Do you think it's possible to change this?

(You are now talking to a complete idiot when it comes to computers.) Tongue

Two-Edge

Unfortunately (well..), the forum-users cannot make changes to the technique of the site. The seachfunction is somewhat dated.. eh.. nostalgic. Mmm, ancien ;-) Improvement requires the site to be equipped with a more modern piece of software and a more up to date databasemodel to handle the searchrequests. This is to be done by the websitebuilder and not done overnight.

Embala

How come you know about these correlations, Two-Edge? Your profession?

You might be able to explain some "annoying" functions. It doesn't help with the problem but sometimes understanding is a help, too.

Two-Edge

Embala said

How come you know about these correlations, Two-Edge? Your profession?

You might be able to explain some "annoying" functions. It doesn't help with the problem but sometimes understanding is a help, too.

Hi Kind-One.
I started off as a photographer, but 20 jrs. ago I ended up in ICT. (Better pay, and for solely that reason Happy, as a consultant, trainer and customer relation manager. Along the way I picked up ICT knowledge, though of course not to the extent that a hardware-engineer or programmer does.

Is there a place in the den where we collect all these annoying bugs? Let's see if we can swat one or two. Let's do the bug-stomp!! heheh.

Embala

Thanks for the offer, Two-Edge Smile There's a whole section ... more or less.

Must admit that I have no idea where we have gathered the bugs and irritations from the last site change. Richard posted on FB that the site should be tweaked and improbed further - no idea what he refers to in special.

Maybe a new thread ... or not. There were several before - maybe I'll remember WHERE. Not tonight, tho.

Two-Edge

Embala said

Thanks for the offer, Two-Edge Smile There's a whole section ... more or less.

Must admit that I have no idea where we have gathered the bugs and irritations from the last site change. Richard posted on FB that the site should be tweaked and improbed further - no idea what he refers to in special.

Maybe a new thread ... or not. There were several before - maybe I'll remember WHERE. Not tonight, tho.

Let us then wait what Elfpop is going to make. If there are any further issues down the line when this work is done, I will be in my smittycavern for you to be found.(the one with the pile of empty dreamberrywinejars besides the entrance.) If I can I will gladly join my fellowmembers in a bug-stomping frenzy if any help is wanted. Happy