ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Decades in Print – Elfquest

Skyfall

Decades in Print –  Elfquest
Decades in Print – Elfquest

http://www.elfquest.com/bibliography/

Three-plus decades of Elfquest. It’s quite a milestone for anyone to achieve. Producing anything for print can be a pain in the tailfur. But despite the challenges and problems that come with publishing and licensing a multifaceted line of comic books, graphic novels, collections, and much more, Warp Graphics has managed to dazzle readers thousands of times over with images of life. Of feeling. O…

Thornbrake

Well said @Skyfall!

Rob

I don't think he's around, alas! I'm just setting up the links between the articles at Elfquest.com and threads here and I guess he wrote that page back in the day.

Thornbrake

Well, he posted the original comment last month, and has created a new avatar, so hopefully he's still checking in here. @Skyfall? Are your reading us? ;-)

Tavie

Come in, @Skyfall! Let us reminisce about old times, when we were holtmates and not dull grownups!

Skyfall

Don't mind me. I'm a total slacker. It's been a bit hard for me to keep on top of things, like I JUST saw this here. Yeah, I'm usually late to the party too. :)

As for this page, I wish I could take credit for it, but I believe that was our Esteemed Nastybad Editorthing that wrote the bulk of that. I have no doubt that I put it up, but that would be most of all the old stuff. Like @Thronbrake mentioned, it is very well said. Especially after 36 years.

I wish I could help get some of this stuff updated, but I'm currently on the outside looking in as it were. Ever need any help there @Rob, I'm always available. :)

Rob

Hi, @skyfall!

Welcome back! The website and forums have many traces of your sterling work from over the years.

CrassCat

Can anyone help with the story line (which books/ comics) explains how Suntop and the wavedancer met? plus which books/ comics shows the rest of the story after Phoenix until they are picked up by the palace?

Elwing

It's great to have this bibliography. Does anyone know is there is an overview of foreign language Elfquest publications?

Leanan

CrassCat said: Can anyone help with the story line (which books/ comics) explains how Suntop and the wavedancer met? plus which books/ comics shows the rest of the story after Phoenix until they are picked up by the palace?

To the first question: The book you're looking for is titled 'Discovery'.

I'm not sure about your second question. Can anyone else be of assistance here?

Tam

There are no graphic novels after Phoenix that show very much of what happened. They get picked up by the palace at the end of Reunion, I believe, which is here:

http://elfquest.com/comic_viewer.php?fd=/gallery/OnlineComics/SH/SH16/_Shards%20-%2016_page=1#_1

SeaBreeze

Are there any collections that have all of the stories in color that are going to be reprinted? I would love to have the full series in wonderful color. To me it seems odd to have an american title in just black and white when it was oritinally printed in color :)

Tam

It's up to Dark Horse and how their sales look.

travelbug

We are encouraged to write Dark Horse and tell them that we want the whole story in full color :)

Heather

SeaBreeze said: To me it seems odd to have an american title in just black and white when it was oritinally printed in color

Elfquest was originally in black and white

Thornbrake

Heather said: Elfquest was originally in black and white

Yes, @SeaBreeze, the first time an Elfquest comic was published in color from the get go was Hidden Years #1 in the early 90s. Before that, the Original Quest, Siege at Blue Mountain, and Kings of the Broken Wheel (books 1-8) were all originally drawn and published in black and white.

Johnno

So when color was added to the original black and white drawings, was Wendy the one doing the coloring? I wonder how that is done. Computer? By hand with paints? I'll bet it took a pretty long time. These are really intricate drawings!

RichardPini

Johnno said: So when color was added to the original black and white drawings, was Wendy the one doing the coloring? I wonder how that is done. Computer? By hand with paints? I'll bet it took a pretty long time. These are really intricate drawings!

The first time (for the Donning/Starblaze edition) it was watercolors (mostly) on photocopies of the original line art. The second time (for the Father Tree Press 10th anniversary edition) it was flat animation "cel" painting - again, over the original line art. For the DC Archives edition, the coloring was all digital.

lunakat

The watercolors were just beautiful. There is always just something about watercolor. A well done water color illustration is special.

I'm not as big a fan of the digital coloring. It's okay- but it does look very photoshopped. Photoshop is pretty common these days. You can do a lot with it, and it can look slick- but rarely comes across as special.

What I am a fan of is Wendy's willingness to try new approaches and extend herself as an artist. She could have just stayed with what was safe- what she knew worked. But instead, she experimented. That's the sign of a true artist- someone who is continually growing and changing. And she hasn't lost her touch at all- no matter what the coloring, the drawings are always solid. Amazing line work. Great characters- wonderful poses. Gorgeous inking. She's a master.

Embala

I still LOVE the watercolor version.

lunakat said: Great characters- wonderful poses. Gorgeous inking. She's a master.

Amen!