ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest Chocolates

Heather

I'm no artist with ink and paper or brush and canvas, but I do enjoy working with chocolate. I created a few Elfquest chocolate molds. 1800480_10151988760983882_852641710_n
I fashioned the Madcoil from the Ral Partha minifig. Unfortunately, like Cutter, the scale is too small to avoid excessive air bubbles. The solution will be to make a new sculpture from scratch that is slighter bigger but still on model.
1621726_10151985033158882_53944804_n
Cutter had the same issues, but also had issues with his legs, as they are far to fragile when coming out of the mold. His solution is the same as Madcoil
1546451_10151901789728882_1772422239_n
Bearclaw's wolfhead necklace came out the best. And the best thing about edible paint is how awesome it makes food look and doesn't ruin the taste!

Tavie

Ooh, I'm glad the chocolates get their own thread! I LOVE these - you are a true artiste!

Thornbrake

OMG Cutter looks like his face is just a skull with no nose. ZOMBIE Cutter!

zurcdurka

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like part of his cheek is missing and some teeth are showing. I like it.

Heather

@Thornbrake and @zurcdurka I know! He looked like a Zombie when he came out and I was just laughing. Unfortunately, it is the size. You can't get the air bubbles out as effectively, with such a detailed piece. I even did more than one coat and shook before placing my two mold pieces together. I either need to create one the same size with a more rustic feel, that allows for the look to work, or create a new model. I will probably work on the latter this summer when I have more free time.

@Tavie Thank you so much. While I have worked in the world of chocolate for four years now, I am really just starting to branch out into making my own molds. It's proving rewarding, frustrating and a learning adventure with each thing I make.

MrsGrizzley

*blinkblink*

You are now one of my new favorite artists.

And the best part about working with Chocolate? Even the failures are somewhat successful. They're all nummy. *grin*

Leanan

Wow, those are awesome, especially the wolf's head necklace! If I had those I couldn't bring myself to eat them, they look too good!

Heather

@MrsGrizzley-Thanks so much! And you are so right, the failures are still very sweet ;)

@Leanan-It can feel like a shame to eat it, but once you take a bite, it all melts away (pun intended). That's the great thing about molds though, you can make more!

RedheadEmber

Now I want chocolate!

ChristinaRaibert

Damn, I want to eat that wolfhead... but I get the vague feeling that Bearclaw would gut me for even suggesting such a thing...

Tavie

ChristinaRaibert said: Damn, I want to eat that wolfhead... but I get the vague feeling that Bearclaw would gut me for even suggesting such a thing...

Just got an image in my head of Bearclaw strolling around a corner and seeing a bunch of wolfriders with half-eaten wolfhead necklaces and chocolate smeared on their faces... and a look of outraged surprise on his face...

Tavie

ChristinaRaibert said: Damn, I want to eat that wolfhead... but I get the vague feeling that Bearclaw would gut me for even suggesting such a thing...

Just got an image in my head of Bearclaw strolling around a corner and seeing a bunch of wolfriders with half-eaten wolfhead necklaces and chocolate smeared on their faces... and a look of outraged surprise on his face...

Rae_treeshaper

Lovely, yummy did you eat them all?

Heather

@Rae_treeshaper Not by myself! But all have been eaten.

Rae_treeshaper

hehe... how do you tag someone?

MrsGrizzley

I hereby nominate @Heather to be an side character in a modern ElfQuest setting as a chocolatier, possibly working alongside Grizzy's Bakery. *chuckle*

Damnit, I really want to get back to building the world of Elfin Magnet High...

Tavie

Hi @Rae_treeshaper! Just hit "reply" to their post or type @ and their username (kind of like on Twitter)

Heather

MrsGrizzley said: I hereby nominate @Heather to be an side character in a modern ElfQuest setting as a chocolatier, possibly working alongside Grizzy's Bakery. *chuckle*

No matter what happens, we'd both smell awesome!

Embala

Heather said: It can feel like a shame to eat it, but once you take a bite, it all melts away (pun intended).

And you can bite Madcoil's head off! XD He looks pretty frightening with the bubble holes!
Zombie Cutter ... *shivers* Sounds like a real challenge to make an EQ mold from scratch ... O.o *crossing fingers* The wolfhead turned out awesome!

Great job with the chocolat, Heather!

Heather

Embala said: And you can bit Madcoil's head off! XD He looks pretty frightening with the bubble holes!
Zombie Cutter ... *shivers* Sounds like a real challenge to make an EQ mold from scratch ... O.o *crossing fingers* The wolfhead turned out awesome!

Great job with the chocolat, Heather!

Cheers!
It will be a challenge to make it. I have some friends who have experience making molds, and will be looking to them. We shall see, it may take more than a summer! Unless I can get my hands on a 3D printer!!!

wavejumper

Very very cool!

Thornbrake

Heather said: But all have been eaten.

Not all. I still haven't been able to bring myself to eat mine!

Heather

Thornbrake said:
Not all. I still haven't been able to bring myself to eat mine!

LOL! Oh my! Please enjoy it! I can make you more! That's the great thing about molds, using them again and again!

Thornbrake

Heather said: LOL! Oh my! Please enjoy it! I can make you more! That's the great thing about molds, using them again and again!

Ok, dessert tonight!

Heather

Thornbrake said: Ok, dessert tonight!

Excellent plan! I recommend having it with a dark beer.

Heather

Making some wolf head chocolates today. Bringing them along to SDCC. Perfect treat for the trip.

Llannen

Hmm...some wine versus beer? Food art has me in awe as much as other forms, but perhaps more so since I hardly have the patience to make a meal!

marinayurk

I am not strong in
culinary art (I prepare
only according to the
checked recipes). And I
don't love wine and beer.
But for a holiday of
soul would get such
chocolate piece.

Heather

Llannen said: Hmm...some wine versus beer? Food art has me in awe as much as other forms, but perhaps more so since I hardly have the patience to make a meal!

Since darker chocolate is bitter (I used 72%) the dark beer is a much better choice than wine. Also, the acidity levels of chocolate can affect the pairing as well. I tend to prefer dark chocolates on the acidic side (I am a sucker for a Madagascar or Dominican bean) and the red wines I drink tend to be acidic as well. This doesn't make for the best pairing.

However, when it comes down to it, the best thing to pair with chocolate is whatever you want!

Night_Tanem

now I'll have to get chocolate...

Llannen

And sweet red wine....;)

Night_Tanem

~O)

manga

So, um, where can I order some?? >:D

Heather

manga said: So, um, where can I order some??

=)) Sorry, no orders! ;)

RichardPini

@Heather posted:

Madcoil, Madcoil,
Roly poly Madcoil.
Madcoil, Madcoil,
Eat 'im up, yum!