ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest: **Your** Discovery

Heather

Here is the story of my discovery. What is yours?

Tavie

I still can't get over this picture. Wish I had something like it - me reading Elfquest at a young age. What a treasure.

My story: One day in 1985 or so, when I was in kindergarten, the lunchroom supervisor at our school brought in a bunch of comic books and told us that if we were good, we could each pick out one comic to keep. I went straight for the Strawberry Shortcake (dud. don't remember a thing. I'm sure I loved it at the time.) but my twin sister, ever the more interesting of us, was attracted to the small image of a wolf in the corner of this:

We could both read at the time, but I think the story/words were over her head; she loved up the pictures, though. A few years later (maybe 1988) we were in the Forbidden Planet with our parents* and she noticed one of the hardcover graphic novels, and she wanted it, so they got it for her. And she devoured it. And asked for more, and eventually collected all that were available at the time.

She spent so much time with the damn books that I started to resent them. But being 8 or 9, I still had no interest. In fact, I probably purposely avoided them because they were taking so much of my sister's attention! At one point, I committed an AWFUL SIN by scrawling "ELFQUEST IS &*#$#@" (except I used a word that wasn't 'puckernuts') in the margin of one of the pages. Shameful behavior.

And then, sort of like magic one day in 1990 or 1991, I picked one of the books up and started actually, you know, reading the thing.

Fell in hard. Haven't looked back since. Thanks, sis.

*Raised by nerds.

Heather

Such a fantastic story! And so funny that it's almost like a romantic comedy on how you fell in love with EQ. Starting with the hate relationship that grew into the commuted relationship you have today!

(As for pictures of me as a kid with EQ, there are quite a few, but this one my hair is socially acceptable)

Tavie

Haha, you're right- it was like a "meet cute" where Elfquest stepped on my foot and I was soooooo mad at it but it was meant to be, all along!

So... What did your hair look like the other times? Buzzcut? Rat's nest?

Heather

Buzzcut would have been awesome. Insane, fluff ball, attacked by little orphan Annie is a bit more accurate.

Laurel

I was older than many. When I was 18 to be exact. I was at my very first science fiction convention, Noreastcon II (oh my lord has it really been that long??), and I was strolling through the dealer's hall being totally amazed at all the cool stuff. I wanted to buy a lot of what I saw, but was fresh out of high school that previous spring and still job less. In other words, on a budget. But I saw a table with comics on it and one cover in particular caught my eye. I believe it was issue #6 of the original quest. I bought it on a whim. I read it the second I was back in the hotel room and instantly wanted to know what had gone before. I bought the ones I could find at the con, and for a time was reading backward and forward while I filled in the first five issues. I didn't find the SoC until 2006 (as Tavie likely knows).
I wanted to add a picture but can't seem to get it to work.

Heather

Great story as well, amazing how so many I speak to do seem to just stumble upon it.

Thornbrake

For me, it was all about THIS:

When I was ten years old, in fifth grade, we had a new student join our class. I went to a small private school with the same kids from kindergarten through 8th grade, so this was a big deal. One day he brought in the Donning books 1, 2 and 3 and I was INSTANLY drawn to the cover of book 2.

He let me borrow it, and here we are 29 years later!

Heather

This was actually the last of the original novels I was able to get my hands on. And it is the most amazing cover!

RedheadEmber

My cousin told me about it around the time of the 20-year-anniversary.
Don't remember the exact order (I'm pretty sure I bought Shards#2/HY#17 before I began buying the HY stories from the Fight Special.) but I began collecting the stories starting roughly with the 'Fight' and ending with the Wolfriders re-settling in Goodtree's Rest (with Dreamtime added as a bonus). I also bought OQ#6 at one point.
Then I... sorta forgot about it.
Until the day when I found this place (as in; the place it was at that point) and learned that a lot of things had happened which I'd never heard about.
An example: Isn't the Lovemates Calender in which Sunstream and Brill are seen together from 1999ish or something? Well... at that time in Denmark they were still deep in the Shards War...

Needless to say I was very happy when all the issues got digital on the homepage! Also; I kinda prefer reading in English.

MrsGrizzley

In my middle school they had one of the... Donning books, I believe. Probably Book 2. I glanced at it and put it back 'cause it wasn't my sort of thing at the time.

Silly me.

Several years later and a whole 'nother state, I was at a Ravenloft game with some friends and the Dungeon Master let me read through his copy of Book 1. I didn't play that game. *chuckle* I was forever lost in the Now of Wolf Thought.

That was... I wanna say that was 1992, I think. Maybe 1991, not sure.

But yeah, that's how I landed in Abode.

Zinegirl

I started reading the comics in Dutch when I found them in the comics section of the library (I was around 10 years old I think? Perhaps even younger. I'm currently 18 btw) I immediatly fell in love with the beautiful drawing style of Wendy Pini, although I didn't quite understand everything about the story itself (also because the library didn't have all the issues and I didn't read them in order). But it wasn't until a few years later that I finally read all the issues on here. I currently own two issues: 'The Palace' (which is probably my favourite issue) and 'The Go-Backs'. :)

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: An example: Isn't the Lovemates Calender in which Sunstream and Brill are seen together from 1999ish or something? Well... at that time in Denmark they were still deep in the Shards War...

Yeah, that calendar was actually the very first appearance of Brill and came out before she ever made any appearance in the actual comics.

RedheadEmber

Hmm... that's odd. I seem to recall reading some comments indicating that @ChristinaRaibert was a Sunstream-Brill shipper before the calendar came out.
Oh well... maybe not that early...

Leanan

I remember it well. I was 13 or 14 and really getting into the fantasy genre, reading anything I could get my hands on. Our family got ads from the bookstore in the mail, and I always read them, looking for more books to borrow from the library. One time they had put on sale the then-existing Finnish translations of ElfQuest, which was the equivalent of Fire and Flight, printed in five volumes.

I headed for the library and borrowed those five volumes. And then I was sad, because I thought the story ended with Rayek riding into the desert alone, and I wanted more!

I kept re-reading those five slim books, and started drawing fanart I was never going to show anyone. I had an obsessive crush on Skywise in those times already. For a time I was under the misunderstanding that Skywise and Moonshade were lifemates. (I think I based it on the fact that Skywise thinks at one point that he should ask Moonshade to make him a long sleeved shirt, and it didn't occur to me that this was simply because she is the tanner).

Anyways, one day at the library I did a computer search for ElfQuest, and - from famine to feast! What is this 'Forbidden Grove'... I found the books that continued the story I had
fallen in love with. They were in English, but that wasn't a problem for me.

And here I am, almost 20 years later, still addicted.

Tavie

Leanan said: I had an obsessive crush on Skywise in those times already. For a time I was under the misunderstanding that Skywise and Moonshade were lifemates. (I think I based it on the fact that Skywise thinks at one point that he should ask Moonshade to make him a long sleeved shirt, and it didn't occur to me that this was simply because she is the tanner).

THIS IS SO ADORABLE AUGH I LOVE IT

Skywise was my first "elf crush" too. Although I have to say, in "Fire and Flight", that scene where Leetah first touches Cutter on the back and he has that surprised look on his face and then she embraces him - that was SO WAY SEXY TO ME when I was young, I had no idea why but man, that panel just GOT me.

trembling

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: Hmm... that's odd. I seem to recall reading some comments indicating that @ChristinaRaibert was a Sunstream-Brill shipper before the calendar came out.

I might be wrong. Maybe Brill was introduced already at that point, but we didn't get to see anything about her and Sunstream in the stories until years later when The Discovery came out.

Catfoot

One day my husband and I were at a comic shop in Fresno and one of the owners, Wayne, gave us a reprint copy of issue one from the original quest. It was love at first read. I think at the time they were about 4 or 5 issues into the series. Next time we were back in Fresno we bought the rest that were out and that was soooooo great. Then the agonizing wait between issues!

I read them to our kids as they were growing up. They are both big fans also.

Thornbrake

Tavie said: Although I have to say, in "Fire and Flight", that scene where Leetah first touches Cutter on the back and he has that surprised look on his face and then she embraces him - that was SO WAY SEXY TO ME when I was young, I had no idea why but man, that panel just GOT me.

trembling

That scene is just DRIPPING with sensuality and eroticism, so it's no surprise you reacted that way.

ChristinaRaibert

RedheadEmber said: Hmm... that's odd. I seem to recall reading some comments indicating that @ChristinaRaibert was a Sunstream-Brill shipper before the calendar came out.

Thornbrake said: I might be wrong. Maybe Brill was introduced already at that point, but we didn't get to see anything about her and Sunstream in the stories until years later when The Discovery came out.

@RedheadEmber @Thornbrake - You're both right - to some extent ;)

The "Lovemates" Calendar came out in late 1998 and it was the first instance of a future relationship between Brill and Sunstream. Ever since I've always been 'shipping them together up until "Discovery" was released in 2006, and onward :)

But Brill and the others "new" WaveDancers were introduced in Feb 1996 in "Turning Tide" - and pretty much from day one she became my favorite character altogether. That plate in the Calendar was the first time she was seen drawn by Wendy, but Steve Blevins, Craig Taillefer and Wendi Strang-Frost had all depicted her at various stages of the story. So for two years I was just her fan and after the Calendar came out, I took up 'shipping her and Sunstream as a couple :)

Funny thing is that back then, I wasn't overly fond of Brill and Skimback as a couple. I hated Skimback - he struck me as very unaffected toward his former lovemate, very blind to Brill's suffering - and it wasn't until Discovery that he became a much more likeable character altoghether (and no, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Wendy draws him as hunky as he can be!). Nor I paired her with Spine - or at least not in any long-term way. I adore Spine and live in the hope that he will eventually threemate with her and Sunstream, also I don't doubt for so much as an instant that he was always there for Brill, and always would be - but I just couldn't see a romantic relationship between them as "exclusive". More like occasional lovemates... today we'd call them friends with benefits. Vurdah was the only one who struck me as a good match for Brill - they both wanted to find a lifemate and become mothers. Amusing how my original pick was also a Sun Villager XD

stargazer

I discovered EQ waaay back in around 1981 or 82. I was a teenager at the time and my then-boyfriend wanted to go in the comic shop to talk to a friend who worked there. I really wasn't into comics, but I was sooo bored, and he was taking ages so I started to browse. I came across the first three issues of EQ and I've always had a thing for fantasy, and elves, so they caught my eye and I started looking through them. Of course I then had to buy them and I've been hooked ever since!

RedheadEmber

@ChristinaRaibert, that's actually pretty much what I seem to recall about you: You being YAY! They're gonna recognize! from the moment Discovery came out.

But... it's Reef who's gonna three-mate with Sunstream and Brill!

ChristinaRaibert

RedheadEmber said: @ChristinaRaibert, that's actually pretty much what I seem to recall about you: You being YAY! They're gonna recognize! from the moment Discovery came out.

But... it's Reef who's gonna three-mate with Sunstream and Brill!

@RedheadEmber - *chuckles* I think that'll be very likely, after that shot of them in the Special! Brill had already offered to join with Reef when he was "broken" so he wouldn't feel alone (awe) and I wholly believe she and Sunstream would welcome him with open arms, to warm his heart once more to the beauty of life and family.

This also means I can have Spine all for myself! Mwhahahaha! ;) *snatches Spine and runs for the reefs*

Heather

Catfoot said: It was love at first read.

Love the way you put this. And so similar to my experience as well. Read it and just feel in love with it.

Thornbrake

ChristinaRaibert said: But Brill and the others "new" WaveDancers were introduced in Feb 1996 in "Turning Tide" - and pretty much from day one she became my favorite character altogether.

Ahhhh, yes, thank you for refreshing my memory!

ChristinaRaibert said: and no, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Wendy draws him as hunky as he can be!

...but it sure doesn't hurt, right?? ;-)

Tavie

Catfoot said: I think at the time they were about 4 or 5 issues into the series.

That's so cool that you guys were there almost from the beginning. And wow, thank you Wayne! I wonder how many other people he turned on to Elfquest. Early hero, Elfquest evangelist Wayne.

Embala

I LOVED to read through this thread. These stories are everything from funny to touching and always loving. I'm slightly envious that many of you met the Elves at young age, with innoscence and imagination.

I'd like to add my story ... more or less. Comics were never appreciated in my family. If anything they were a minor read for kids. I've fought my interest in them when I grew up but it never really died. Around my 25th year I discovered something on the shelf of a local store and this happened:
(written for a grab-bag some years ago, so style and choice of words is a bit strange)

How things started to happen.........................................................................................

*Ya think?* Disaproval. *You are too old for this!*

*... but ... this cover is too beautiful ...* Once more I had caught myself with a comic book in my hands - this comic book! *The wolf looks fantastic ...*

*You are an adult, are you?!* Once more I tried to make up my mind - should I really buy it? *Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy*

*These figures are so graceful ...* Once more I was too ashamed to pay for it at the cash desk. *... but elves are for children.*

The voice of reason (or my shyness) had prevailed over the instinctive wish to possess this album - if only for cover art's sake. I didn't know that it was too late already ... I would return again ... and again ... and finally buy it - read it - fall in love forever.

................................................................................................................The Beginning

The title of this German translation did not help much to quiet my shame:

"When the evil gnomes were coming" ... shoot me - no, shoot the translator!

I ended up MISSING EQ#1 and then bought the second issue and the following three over the next months. And was lucky to get #1 from my cousin - he decided that EQ was not his cup of tea.

I've gathered anything I could get during the next 20 years. Then I discovered the Scroll, lurked about two years ... close to 30 years of EQ for me now.

Leanan

"When the evil gnomes are coming"??? It sounds like they're on the humans' side!

RedheadEmber

You're right @Leanan.

Tavie

Embala said: *Ya think?* Disaproval. *You are too old for this!*

*... but ... this cover is too beautiful ...* Once more I had caught myself with a comic book in my hands - this comic book! *The wolf looks fantastic ...*

*You are an adult, are you?!* Once more I tried to make up my mind - should I really buy it? *Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy*

*These figures are so graceful ...* Once more I was too ashamed to pay for it at the cash desk. *... but elves are for children.*

I LOVE THIS! Hahaha!! Your internal monologue cracks me up. I'm glad I discovered Elfquest when I was still a child - I know myself, though, and I know I wouldn't have questioned the idea of reading something "for kids" (or thinking elves are "for kids") even if I'd been an adult, only because my tastes are so very immature...

Glad you got yourself there in the end...

Freethinker

Book 2 graphic novel was my first experience with elfquest. I remember buying the graphic novel based on the cover and beautiful artwork... and (Don't hit me) I thought at first Cutter was female!

I'm not sure why I thought that, perhaps the hair or chest but hey, I was a kid. (Hmm, now that would be interesting, what if Cutter were female, and Leetah were a guy. Hmm. Kind of like that gender reversal).

I was a bit confused what was going on, but definitely hooked. I think they only had GN 2 available.

I remember really finding the story of cutter getting the fever while trying to help the squirrel critter was very moving. He was so nice to help the little critter.

I took the graphic novel with me to summer camp. I loved it and the beautiful art. I soon bought book 1.

Thornbrake

Freethinker said: I'm not sure why I thought that, perhaps the hair or chest but hey, I was a kid. (Hmm, now that would be interesting, what if Cutter were female, and Leetah were a guy. Hmm. Kind of like that gender reversal).

You know, I think about this a lot, about how gender norms/stereotypes lead us to interpret things. Clearly Wendy's character design is informed by Japanese art, which has a very different visual language when it comes to depictions of masculine vs. feminine.

I don't recall ever confusing the male elves for female, but I can totally see how someone might think that. I mean, they have big eyes, flowing hair and delicate features. The MUST be girls - lol!

Seriously though, I can't understate how important that this disregard for such gender stereotypes has been for me. It had a major impact on me as a young kid. It taught me, perhaps inadvertently, that these things are relative. And that learning, at a young age, quite literally saved my life. Being gay, growing in up in a very conservative religious culture, I very easily could have bought into the notion that I was an abomination because I didn't conform to those rigid gender norms. Suntop's simple "I'll be what I'll be" and his people's unquestioning acceptance of that are the perfect expression of the power of Elfquest.

Embala

Tavie said: Glad you got yourself there in the end...
Me too - I love it. And EQ made me develope an artistic side of my creativity... well, just a bit.

It doesn't seem very common around here for adults to read comics - or admit it. Some years later I found a reprint of the OQ (with some extra pages) and ended up with an arm full of comic books. On the way to the cash desk I saw a teen watching me. I smiled at the big boy and he said: "I didn't know that adults buy this, too! O.O"

Freethinker said: (Hmm, now that would be interesting, what if Cutter were female, and Leetah were a guy. Hmm. Kind of like that gender reversal).
A fan named Wingthing made up a whole alternative universe around FEMALE chief Cutter. And there is other fan art and fiction around this idea. Dive into the FAN ART & FICTION section for it.

Beryl

When I was a kid my older brother and I, looked through my dads old comics. He had issue 6, 7 9 10, 11 and 12. I found them verry fascinating, but I didnt understand much of the story.
I vaguely remember that I thought Rayek was Leetahs lost lifemate, and that he had to get to her and the kids soon because they were in danger. I allso thought that Winnowill was holding Strongbow as her love slave, and Moonshade was verry upset that somebody stole her mate.
early in my teen years I came back to Elfquest, I read my dads comics again and this time I actually understood what was going on. My brother and I found an Elfquest guide at the library + some of the comics.
I feel in love with the story, and the emotions in Wendys beautiful drawings. I found more bits and pieces of the story online.
I was verry happy when they started uploading the comics to the website, and I was allways looking forward to friday when a new issue would be uploaded.
My love for Elfquest only grew

Embala

Thank you for sharing, Beryl :) Funny misunderstandings ... good for a whole AU!

Leanan

Freethinker said: and (Don't hit me) I thought at first Cutter was female!

Beryl said: I vaguely remember that I thought Rayek was Leetahs lost lifemate, and that he had to get to her and the kids soon because they were in danger. I allso thought that Winnowill was holding Strongbow as her love slave, and Moonshade was verry upset that somebody stole her mate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with misunderstandings!

Sifra

I first read Elfquest when my friend brought them with her on a visit. I think we were 10 years old or something like that? I remember my mother disliked them very much and she said I couldn't read them anymore. I loved the series ever since. :P

Freethinker

@Thornbrake I agree. I think it is important and I love it when authors don't go for typically gender roles or representations of characters. =-)

Leanan

I just remembered another misunderstanding I had of EQ when I first read it.

I thought Savah was secretly in love with Rayek. I think it was because of the fondness of their farewells when he left Sorrow's End at the end of 'Fire and Flight'.

Rob

@leanan, perhaps she is, in a way. Not secretly in love, but vicariously so, because she sees Yurek in Rayek. The only time I can remember Savah physically restraining someone was after Rayek nearly suffered the same fate, and Skywise threatened to push him off.

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 1.02.23 PM

Not exactly a prison armbar, I know, but it's Savah. She let Rayek go, but was not going to let him fall.

MrsGrizzley

Damn... that explains so much!

Rayek inherited Yurek's strength of spirit, his tenacious hold on his goal, whatever that goal might be. I think you're right. I think she loved him for all the qualities that she saw in him that Yurek had. She wanted him to find happiness, somehow, someway. And that's why she was always reaching out to him.

It didn't matter that he didn't look at her as anything other than a mother figure. She could accept that because... well, because Savah. But she wanted him to find that level of satisfaction with his life that could lead to truly accepting love.

Tam

I don't actually remember. I tell people that my mom grew little womb editions for me. My dad read them, so I assume he introduced me to them, or I went "ooh shiny!" and found them on my own.

Heather

Tam said: I don't actually remember. I tell people that my mom grew little womb editions for me. My dad read them, so I assume he introduced me to them, or I went "ooh shiny!" and found them on my own.

That's actually nice to know it has been a part of your life since before you can remember. Awesome!

Tam

@Thornbrake *high five* on the gay stuff/conservative family/Elfquest saving your life. Same experience!

@Freethinker it's called the EQ Alternaverse :)

@Heather I know, right? It's kind of awesome. The comics are why I go by Tam today (it's my real life name!).

Thornbrake

Rob said: Not exactly a prison armbar, I know, but it's Savah. She let Rayek go, but was not going to let him fall.

Fascinating observation!

Leanan

I'm getting all kinds of thoughts in my head now... Savah and Rayek... *crazy giggle*

Mkal

efc628e2d9872784dbf02ed53e504e60

I was 12 at the time and was working on making a sci-fi home movie with my friends down the street. This was during the heyday of the Dungeons and Dragons RPG phenomenon. It was Thanksgiving of 1982 and my sister had left her copy of Journey to Sorrow's End in the living room and I picked it up and started reading it. I really did not think much about it being more than just another book that my older sister was reading and would be really pissed at finding I had 'gotten a hold of it', just like the many other books of hers I had read.

I turned 13 at Christmastime and my folks divorced the following Spring.

I went to live with my father in another state and I took some of my sister's novels, including Journey to Sorrow's End with me. Since I was alone, the whole movie idea was squashed and I started to write the story, instead. I liked how JtSE had included illustrations within the story, so I attempted to adding drawings with the story. Being 13, I had the attention span of a flea, and while I had put my story on hold, I was still involved in the D&D and new Gamma World RPG gaming sets. I was captivated by the stories and art in the dungeon companions.

It was while I was at a Waldenbooks looking through new dungeon modules, that I turned around and stumbled across a new section called "Graphic Novels".

This was at eye level...

I opened the pages and the aroma of the ink wafted from the pages. I stood there transfixed over the art before me. I sank down to the floor in that dark corner and read not only that book from front to back, but the other two volumes beside it. I frantically dug into my pockets to see if I had money enough to buy them. I only had enough for one and volume 3 was the winner in 'eeny-meeny-miney-mo".

I strode up to the checkout and laid my money on the counter and went home and saved money for the previous volumes. It was while I was visiting my mother during the Summer that a friend who knew about Elfquest told me that issue 16 was out. I was then introduced to the real Elfquest; the over-sized, black and white quarterly issues. As I look back, I cannot believe that it was in under a year from when I was first introduced to the World of Two Moons. While I waited between issues, I took it upon myself to collect all the original black and white issues and anything associated with the Wolfriders. While I was secreted away in my own room, the idea of telling my story evolved. I studied Wendy's style and began to really look at the world around me. I remember making a pastel drawing of Leetah and it winning in a comic convention contest.

One of the things that I can say about being introduced to Elfquest is that it happened at a time that was very emotional for me. I had a place to escape to and the art and story inspired me far more than anything or anyone else could have during that time.

MultiFacets

My twin and I were in the fourth grade, and the local library was a little smaller than it is now. But it had a pretty cool selection anyway, especially those big, full-color, hardback editions of "ElfQuest". I'm not sure what it was that compelled us to check out volume five -the only one there-, but it probably had something to do with the fact we were comic addicts and the art was amazing. (Maybe Mrs. Pini's art is another reason why I like anime so much.)

Now, since we didn't jump in at the beginning, some stuff went over our heads; references to past events, why Wolfriders bonded with wolves, why Winnowill was so bad, what Recognition was, stuff like that. But we were hooked anyway on the writing, the action, the novelty and characterization, and we obsessively hunted down other volumes and the Big ElfQuest Gatherum to put the pieces together. From there, we pretty much pledged lifelong loyalty to the World of Two Moons.

Bearclaw3

I moved to Spangdahlem Air Force Base, west Germany in October,1986 and rather quickly got interested in Skateboards and then one day, I broke my deck( wooden board that was the skateboard!) I needed another "deck" so I talked this "Officers kid" into trading one of his "extra decks"for my PROTECTED(in comic book bags) my first six issues of ELFQUEST!(ages days later I managed to talk him into giving ME MY EQ books back at a huge discount! nOW THAT IS/WAS a sin, I'm so sorry, Wendy and Richard! At a local German comic book store I managed to purchase the entire quest in black and white! ( which I believe IS the BEST way to enjoy the quest, because of my D N D days I HATE TROLLS, but because of Wendy's incredibly AWESOME art work I couldn't help feeling ALL the pain PICKNOSE felt!

Bearclaw3

In 2006 I bought a Suzuki GSXR 1000(to cut my gas prices!) my GSXR1000 got like 33 miles per gallon, which was way better than my 97 mercury sable (10 miles per gallon it got worse IF I used my A/C!) anyway three months after the purchase I was in a "NEAR FATAL wreck" My injury from the wreck was a "Traumatic Brain Injury" I said a prayer right before the wreck, that's why I lived! 36 days in a coma! nOT long after recovering from my coma I stumbled across ElfQuest.COM I'm getting ready to go to a local (Crestview, Florida) comic book collectors store to purchase whatever pieces of the quest I can find! mY point is THE Quest online has still been helping me!!!

WildBlossom

1988, my older brother brought home the first Donner book. It was his first introduction into comics, as well as mine. I loved that for once Elves were portrayed as rough and tumble fighters instead of always being refined and aloof. They've been a part of me since.

Delhya

1997 my friend and I were standing in the lunch line for Pizza and She was reading The Cry from Beyond. It was open on the page where Rayek is forcing Timmain in wolf form to come to the Palace. As I look over her shoulder I ask what was happening to the poor wolf?

Then hook line and sinker I am here after many adventure of both the Pini's Elfquest and our personal adventures with our characters we created with in the week. Summerglen my first elf, the daughter that never was of Clearbook and Treestump. <3

!Dewshine

Moonmoss

My journey with the elves begun in my local library- I've always been fond of libraries and spent lots of time there just browsing around, nearly always finding something new worth reading. One day in 1990 or 1992, something like that...the about 12 yrs old me made a wonderful discovery. I spotted this from the "assorted comic albums"-section and fell instantly in love with the artwork. Even better, it told a tale about elves!

Sadly only two other albums were translated at the time and I had to learn English FAST (as if....)after I got my hands on "The Forbidden Grove" and rest of "Fire and Flight".
And now, way over 20 yrs later I'm still spellbound and ever so addicted to this beautiful art and stories.

Startear

I remember finding Wolfrider in the grocery store when I was about 15. I found the cover of it intruging. Bearclaw... It looked like fantasy porn. So I grabbed it. Found it was about elves, and I kept reading because there was things I didn't understand. After 2 months the grocery store went bankrupt and stopped taking them in. So after a year, I ordered the editions from egmont. The last that was published in Norwegian was Kings, and the last issue was store bought which was taken in by the new store, where the old one had been. It gave me some closure.

Then, that summer. The online issues came up, and every friday for several weeks was agony. Waiting until it was Friday in the states, so the issues would be published online. I loved it. After that I met Red on fictionpress, and was guided towards the forums.

Johnno

I never really cared for comics as a kid. If I remember correctly, I only ever owned one comic book - Dracula! When I was 13 years old it had to be monsters. Superheros always left me cold. The comic was badly printed on really crappy paper. The only reason I bought it was because it had a flexible plastic record inside (Yes, a real record! It was that long ago!) with the comic's dialog read by less-than-stellar actors.

Fast-forward 37 years to October 2014. A guy about my age was reading a couple of comics where I work. I noticed that the pages were slick and the artwork was very well done in beautiful colors. I asked where I could find something like that because I was always looking for new reading material. He gave me the address of a local comic shop and I went to check it out.

Superheros! Blech! Row after row of spandex-clad muscle hulks. Yawn. I left empty-handed.

I looked online and found an interesting comic called "Goblins" by Tarol Hunt. It was funny and held my interest for the 4 days it took to read several years of the guy's work. In the accompanying blog, he thanks Wendy and Richard Pini for their inspiration and then suggests if you haven't read Elfquest, "you're in luck! It's like Goblins, but better!" I followed the link and ended up here.

I started reading the online collection of the original Elfquest adventure. I was immediately drawn in by the artwork and the story. By the time I reached this panel, after the rescue of Redlance from the Humans, I was totally hooked. How could I resist?
cutter

These were the kind of characters I'd been looking for! I've been reading steadily ever since. I've got 36 years to catch up on!

Embala

Not only love at first sight ... a love you've looked for for a long time, Johnno!

This picture was one of the most memorable ones for me as well. ... and inspiring ...

Mkal

Thornbrake said: Suntop's simple "I'll be what I'll be" and his people's unquestioning acceptance of that are the perfect expression of the power of Elfquest.

That is what makes the story so powerful. I can only wish that EQ could be a part of some kind of 'affirmative reading' list for gay youth. The sexuality of the elves is all-inclusive. When Winnowill first talked to Leetah, you could feel the energy. There was seduction going on. Even the scene when Leetah went to have words with Winnowill, there was a sexual undertone that made it that much more intense. You don't feel like "eww, that's not natural". I still sit mesmerized over the writing of these fine people.

RichardPini

Freethinker said: Book 2 graphic novel was my first experience with elfquest. I remember buying the graphic novel based on the cover and beautiful artwork... and (Don't hit me) I thought at first Cutter was female!

You'd be surprised - or maybe not, maybe "dismayed" instead - at how many people over the years, giving EQ only a superficial glance - think that Cutter is female. If it's not "six foot four and full of muscles" and it has long hair, then it must be girly. :-j

lunakat

RichardPini said: You'd be surprised - or maybe not, maybe "dismayed" instead - at how many people over the years, giving EQ only a superficial glance - think that Cutter is female. If it's not "six foot four and full of muscles" and it has long hair, then it must be girly.

But he is full of muscle! Clearly flat-chested muscle. How could anyone make that mistake? Never judge a character by it's hair, I guess...

Leanan

Not to mention that if a female wore what Cutter is wearing, the comic would be rated 'adult'...

lunakat

True that, Leanan.

Bearclaw3

when I lived in Germany (1986-1993) I started shredding on a skateboard and ( most of you, my extended tribe, don't know this!) one of the very likely things that happens(as you get more extreme!) you have less skill and break your board in half(YES I id that!)so I had to get a new "DECK, this OTHER skater had a NEW un used deck that he was willing to TRADE to me for some of my ELFQUEST zones, he actually came over to my house, to pick all of the issues he wanted he was focused on, ONLY my "Plastic bag protected issues! But since I was very protective of MY EQ collectionI managed to talk him into wanting (more)some of my early black and white teenage mutant ninja turtles! Thank heaven, after feeling my T.M.N.T. Issues he wanted them instead of my treasured Elf Quest, Issues! (they stayed in my "collection until we finally P.C.S'D back here to the very AWESOME united states! In shipping my comics didn't quite make it here to "the sunshine state" (FLORIDA!) my entire collection was stolen(lost!) most of the first 200 issues of X-MEN and G.I Joe! And it Brooke my heart when I found ALL of MY treasured Elf quest collection was gone! All of my "collection" added up, it would take $2000.00 to buy it all again! In MY X- MEN collection ended with most of the mutan massacre issues, and all of the "wolverine and kitty pride"collection! In Germany I was sometimes referred to as the "comic book NERD" YES I enjoyed my nick name!