ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Necroposting

Thornbrake

I've been diving into old posts lately and picking up the conversation, but @nibblet pointed out that this kind of "necroposting" (which is my new favorite word!) was frowned upon in the past. Not sure why it would be a problem, but any thoughts on pros and cons of doing this?

I was just poking around to see if there were threads that already existed for some of the things I wanted to talk about, and realized that there's a treasure trove of older conversations there that could easily be revived. I was also thinking that it might get some older members back into the game if they came and saw their old discussions active again. It will also eliminate duplicate conversations and the need to merge threads.

What say ye all?

Heather

I say dig deep my friend! There is no reason for a post not to be brought back to the surface if it still has some life in it!

Tavie

Why was it frowned upon?

Heather

Not a clue.
But here are some of my thoughts: When a thread "dies", that doesn't mean something later on may come up to be discussed in it again. After all, with FQ starting up, things we haven't really talked about in decades may come to the forefront.
Also, when new fans come to the forums, they may be in different places in the story and have other insights to add.

Thornbrake

Tavie said: Why was it frowned upon?

No idea. @Nibblet, any thoughts?

Heather

@Nibblet couldn't remember either. I think it was just an unwritten rule for a long time.

Nibblet

Yep, as I said before, I have no idea, I didn't do the frowning. Just remembered the hell I got when I necroposted with Kin a few years back in an attempt to do the same.

Heather

That's a shame. Again, since there are so many different things to discuss, as the story evolves and means different things to different people, topics truly can't die. They are just put in wrapstuff, until someone comes along and slices them open.

MrsGrizzley

It's a rule on a LOT of Forums, to be honest, because threads are usually killed for various reasons and there's a whole "don't disturb the dead" thing going...

But that's not really the issue right now for us, so go right on ahead and dig up those bones. Maybe time has given us new insights.

lunakat

That's silly. Dig away. Why should anything stay dead?

Nibblet

So its decided then? Next time I or anyone else necroposts, people can keep their snotty little pm's to themselves and get over it. Hurrah

RedheadEmber

I never knew necroposting was frowned upon around here. Been a rather big necroposter myself without getting any flack for it.

@Heather, your image of threads being put into wrapstuff is a really cool one!

Heather

@Nibblet-Yes, and I would also think snotty PMs should be something we all address too. That's not on.

@RedheadEmber-Cheers!

@MrsGrizzley-That is a fair point indeed. But luckily with literature and art, there is always a new angle to discuss.

Thornbrake

Yeah, I suppose if a thread has some issue and moderators decide to close it, that's one thing. But like @lunakat and @Heather have expressed, if the content of the thread is still interesting and relevant to EQ, why force it to be closed just because no one's posted about it in an while?

@nibblet, I'm sorry that you were subject to snotty PMs in the past. I don't know the details or what the reasoning whoever sent those to you had for not wanting threads revived, but let's all work together to make this a place where that kind of crap doesn't happen.

Nibblet

Some people are just like that. But what's done is done and I'm too old to give a crap.

Dark_Serval

I just want to know how to delete old threads or other accounts...

Nibblet

You can't.

Dark_Serval

Well... snart. That thread of mine needs to *GO* it's such a trainwreck.... Should have wiped it before the transition, I guess. :<

Nibblet

I think you can ask to have it eradicated but you can't do it yourself.

Tavie

Heather said: Again, since there are so many different things to discuss, as the story evolves and means different things to different people, topics truly can't die. They are just put in wrapstuff, until someone comes along and slices them open.

What a great metaphor. Some threads just need to be cut out of wrapstuff. Love it, love it.

Heather

nibblet said: I think you can ask to have it eradicated but you can't do it yourself.

Yes! @Dark_Serval, that can be done. Send @Rob the info.

Dark_Serval

Done!

MrsGrizzley

Tavie said:
Heather said: Again, since there are so many different things to discuss, as the story evolves and means different things to different people, topics truly can't die. They are just put in wrapstuff, until someone comes along and slices them open.

What a great metaphor. Some threads just need to be cut out of wrapstuff. Love it, love it.

I hereby request that we nominate this metaphor to be the official position of the Site at large. It's appropriate use of in-universe language and it also reflects an attitude that I happen to think that we need to embrace.

Do I hear any statements to the negative?

Nibblet

I have no idea what you just said

MrsGrizzley

*laugh*

Basically, I said that if we have some sort of "New Member's Guide" that we officially list old threads as "Threads in Wrapstuff" and state that we encourage cutting them loose if someone has a new opinion or wishes to nudge the discussion forward again.

faeriegirl

Totally agree on the wrapstuff threads, let's cut them open if we feel like it any time we want!

Embala

I prefer to revive an older, fitting thread instead of opening a new one. Keeps things better manageable.

I like MrsGrizzley's suggestion.

RedheadEmber

Now, with the Final Quest happening, it's really no wonder some threads are being cut free.

Heather

It's the way to go for sure @RedheadEmber. More new things to discuss and actions from the original series effecting the outcomes. No reason to slumber like Selah!

Mkal

@Thornbrake. Let it live, babay!!!

JRoseberry

@Thornbrake I tried to start a new thread and got shut down. Be careful what subject you want to start up again. So if it's wrong for me to start a new thread, and wrong for you to add to an old thead...where do we go from here? LOL

JRoseberry

@Nibblet It was the snotty stuff that kept me away for so long. I am an original poster and forum member, but it was just too much to deal with and I faded out. Happy to be back and this time around I will not let someone else bad attitude drive me off.

Heather

JRoseberry said: I tried to start a new thread and got shut down. Be careful what subject you want to start up again. So if it's wrong for me to start a new thread, and wrong for you to add to an old thead...where do we go from here? LOL

You are correct on that. And I know exactly which thread you are speaking of. That wasn't your fault at all. The link for the old thread was provided, so you can go to that old thread (which would be opening a necropost).
It isn't wrong for you to start a new thread. And if you do start one on a topic that was already going and didn't realize it, that's not a big deal. Hopefully soon we can merge threads better when 'Vanilla' gets some more work done to it.

JRoseberry

@Heather Cool. I hate stepping on toes..

Trollbabe

I actually do look for old threads to revive. Someone, at some point, probably asked the same question about the same character, subject or story you are wondering about. I find it more orderly to continue existing discussions, instead of starting new threads.

Elyon

MrsGrizzley said: It's a rule on a LOT of Forums, to be honest, because threads are usually killed for various reasons and there's a whole "don't disturb the dead" thing going...

I think mostly the threads here didn't die. The whole forum died at some point, which made allot of useful and fun threads inactive. Back in the days it was so busy around here, nothing compared to the activities now.

Although I can imagine that some threads should be left alone because of the huge amount of dead links in them from back in the days. ;-)

Vaeri

i very much miss when we had tons of members here...we were a thriving elfquest community!! i would like to see that brought back to life.

maybe then i could get more people to join my holt....^^0