ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Greywolf and Willowgreen stealing a moment together

Mkal

GREYWOLF AND WILLOWGREEN

Embala

WOW - that's awesome! Love to see fanart by you again, Mkal.

You've pictured Willowgreen so much more self confident and at peace with her life. The costume variance suits her excellently - I like the little playful feather adornement.. Greywolf  is as rough and primeval as we know him ... with a happy miscievous trait. I love his rough maskulinity.

Golden and silky sunlit tresses against a tousled black mane. fresh living green against earthy browns ... they are a harmonic contrast. I wonder whether it could have been this way for them were they not bound and devoted to Two-Spear the was it is.

Curious question: I remember Greywolf with a white/silvery crest from the BoTC comics. Is his dark hair according to the original description in the novels or artistic liscense?

Thornbrake

Totally love this piece! And a more burly-looking, hairy-chested Graywolf. Woof! Lol

Heather

@Mkal, fantastic work indeed. And I do love that you Graywolf so burly. I can't think that Treestump is the only one who was ever his size. And there is a great deal of joy in both their eyes. How was it rendered?

PS the shading on the rocks is great as well. It's a simple thing, but those touches make all the difference.

Mkal

Embala: Thanks. Greywolf's hair is more of a dark grey to go with the name. It just looks darker because of the shading.

Heather: Started with pencil sketches and then brought them into photoshop and did the inks and colors.

Embala

Makes much sense!

Heather

Mkal said: Heather: Started with pencil sketches and then brought them into photoshop and did the inks and colors.

Again, excellent job. Gauging from the post of your other pencil sketches, I am sure the one for this one was great as well.

Thornbrake

I also love that you depicted Graywolf with a chipped stone knife. One place where a lot of Elfquest artists got the details wrong was showing Wolfriders with metal weapons before Bearclaw discovered the trolls. Before that, as Strongbow said, it was "stone, bone, and crystal" weapons.

Leanan

That is a lovely picture! I like the speculative look in Willowgreen's eyes, and Greywolf's outright masculinity.

Mkal

@Thornbrake I did have him with a metal knife and I stopped and said, "They haven't met the trolls yet! Gotta change that up!"

Thornbrake

Mkal said: I did have him with a metal knife and I stopped and said, "They haven't met the trolls yet! Gotta change that up!"

Love it!

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.56.29 PM

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.57.19 PM

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.56.49 PM

Mkal

Screen shot 2014-03-16 at 10.56.58 PM

Heather

Thanks so much for sharing the pencil sketches. I knew they would be great.

Embala

The sketches and the inking ... I LOVE to see the developement of an artwork. Each state has it's very oven appeal. Fascinating! Thank you for sharing, Mkal :)

Mkal

Thanks!