Scouter

Mkal

Dewshine

Mkal

Tyleet

Mkal

Venka

Thornbrake

@Mkal, what a great idea for a thread!  Who is the artist?  Doesn't look like your signature.

Mkal

I am the artist. This is my actual signature.

Tavie

These are marvelous!

Thornbrake

@Mkal wrote

This is my actual signature.

LOL Ok what I should have said is that doesn't look like your name. But you should see my signature.  You'd never be able to make out the letters let alone the name.

Rob

Damned fine sketches, @Mkal!

faeriegirl

Gorgeous sketches indeed!

Sifra

They look good. I like how everybody looks like they're really standing in a really cool pose and Amber just looks bored...

Heather

Beautiful! Thank you for posting these!

Mkal

@Thornbrake My mom says I should have been a doctor with my serial killer signature. :D

Thornbrake

Hahahahahahha!

Sofia

Man, these are great! You really captured all the characters well!

Embala

Those are gorgeous, Mkal! *bows*
I love how you captured their features, the body language and put them in a typical context ... the can easily show up in an EQ comic the way you've pictured them.

Cutter taking command ... a peaceful time with the Stars for Skywise ... Leetah reaching out to the viewer. She really seems to look at me!

Very young pensive Ember - thinking about her choices for her tribe the coming night?

Clearbrook is not at all like expected. In contrary - the wise elder pictured as the sleek and fierce warrior is a pleasant surprise. Great movement in that sketch! Scouter on the other hand is very typical - doing his job. :) I love his pose, the costume details and the landscape ... very lively.

Dewshine is so delicate and vulnerable while Tyleet looks as determind as friendly. Making friends with the Woodcutter?

Venka looks actually bored ... or she tries to explain something to Rayek for the Xteenth time - can be tiring. XD

*hopes for more treats*

Thornbrake

Embala said: *hopes for more treats*

Me too, me too!

Mkal

We shall see...

Mkal

Was able to find this charcoal drawing I did of Newstar when I was 14.

1452303_751998108149268_658342196_n

Mkal

@Embala: You basically nailed the Venka one on the head. I was going for that "matter-of-fact/why are we even discussing this?" expression.

MrsGrizzley

Oh my word, Newstar is adorable!!

And you were only 14?? WOW!!! Well done!!

Mkal

Wendy had a strong influence on me. Here are two drawings. On the left is a drawing from 1983 (pre EQ) when I was 13 on the right is 11 years later.

Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 1.03.13 AM

Mkal

same character

Embala

Awww... Newstar looks so cute and lovely *loves* I see her as the young girl in Sorrows End - at the edge of adulthood.

I love to get a glimpse on your artistic developement, Mkal. You did very well as a young teen ... many good elements ... but still elements. (btw: the early look of that woman reminds me of Nonna).
The later one shows advanced artwork, a "harmonic whole", with features that actually make the character shine through.

Tynami

Gorgeous work here, wow!!

Mkal

Softfoot

Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 8.28.53 PM

Wreath

Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 11.06.44 PM

Mkal

@Tynami: Thanks!

Embala

Beautifully done! Very contrasts - as they are supposed to be. I figure you took the BotC novelizations as a reference again?
Softfoot makes me think of Rainsong all of a sudden. Soulful, dedicated to her family, prefering a calm life. I don't "know Softfoot - made this up from how your drawing talks to me.
Wreath on the other side ... proud, demanding, active.

Mkal

@Tynami: Thanks!

Mkal

@Embala I kind of have a fascination with giving life to the BoTC characters.

LaymanK

Mkal - These are really good character sketches. Do you still draw? The reason I ask is we may have future expansions of the ElfQuest Adventure game contain fan art from some of the more talented folk out there and you, my friend, just made the list.

Mkal

Yep, I still draw. Thanks so much for the consideration.