ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest Gallery Edition coming this October

Warp Graphics

http://www.elfquest.com/elfquest-gallery-edition-coming-this-october/

From Dark Horses press release: SEATTLE, WA—In 1978, Wendy and Richard Pini first published what would become one of the most revered ...

Rob

Coverage at io9: http://io9.com/now-you-can-experience-the-original-elfquest-in-all-its-1554845637

Rob

Coverage at CBR: http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/03/eccc-elfquest-gets-gallery-edition-original-quest-collection/

Rob

http://boingboing.net/2014/03/31/elfquest-gallery-edition.html

Thornbrake

Dark Horse is doing a great job getting vintage Elfquest out there with these two new books. Old fans/collectors like me will gobble them up, but so will new fans who might be intimidated at starting with The Final Quest.

Heather

I am excited about this. I do think it will be great for new readers and it is going to look great on our bookshelf!

Mkal

@Thornbrake I just ordered it with the Amazon card that was given to me a while ago.

RichardPini

I've already seen some of the editorial/design layouts of the covers and interior material. These are going to be lovely books.

Thornbrake

RichardPini said: These are going to be lovely books.

We can't wait to devour them.

Tavie

OMG. Just got an email from my boyfriend (tomorrow is our 4-year anniversary). It was an Amazon confirmation that he's preordered this book for me.

SO LUCKY!!!!

MrsGrizzley

@Tavie I'd say that's a sure sign of a Keeper.

You have lucked out with that one, that's for certain. Congratulations!

PCoquelin

Thornbrake said:
RichardPini said: These are going to be lovely books.

We can't wait to devour them.

Which is why I already reserved them far in advance to my fav' dealer, in Paris..

RichardPini

As Wendy says, "All the whiteout, all the ink smudges, all the irreverent penciled notes in the margins, all the thumb prints, all the scotch tape - it'll all be there for you to giggle over and ponder."

Thornbrake

We've got a thread for the first new Elfquest compilation that Dark Horse will be putting out this summer (the 720 page Complete Elfquest, which will collect the entire Original Quest in one huge but affordable softcover, black and white volume).

This thread is to discuss the other new book that was recently announced: Elfquest: The Gallery Edition.

Gallery Edition Cover

On the surface, it seems similar to the Complete Elfquest because it'll be a black and white collection of the first five Elfquest issues, but after reading more about it, it's going to be totally different. First, it's going to be hardcover. Second, it's going to be feature the original art at its original size, a huge 11x17". Third, I'm guessing the paper stock is going to be glossy. And Fourth, it's apparently going to show the original art with all of the liner notes, white-outs, cut-and-pastes, etc.--essentially the original art as it will appear at the Columbia University archives. All of this adds up to a volume for serious Elfquest collectors - which is reflected in the list price of $125.00.

So, are you going to buy Elfquest: The Gallery Edition this October when it comes out?

Heather

Yes and yes. As Elfquest is what brought @Rob and I together and we got married in October, I think this will make a very appropriate anniversary gift for us.

RichardPini

Thornbrake said: Second, it's going to be magazine-sized just like the original Elfquest comics were.

No no no. It's going to be the size of the original artwork, which is approximately 11x17 inches. In other words, larger in dimension than anything Warp ever published. That, plus the limited nature of the release, is what accounts for the cover price.

Thornbrake

RichardPini said: No no no. It's going to be the size of the original artwork, which is approximately 11x17 inches. In other words, larger in dimension than anything Warp every published.

OOOOO, even better! Thank you for the correction!

MrsGrizzley

*whimper* I wants... my precious... my... my beautiful precious...

Tavie

Mine is already on pre-order.

Diana

So, um, is this in color or black and white?

RichardPini

Diana said: So, um, is this in color or black and white?

Yes.

Which is to say, the original artwork is technically black and white. But over the years, the paper has taken on a bit of the tint of aging, some of Wendy's blue-pencil sketches are visible under and around the inking, and so on. To preserve the most faithful possible look of the actual art boards, they have been scanned and printed in very high resolution color.

RichardPini

Oh, this feels so deliciously wicked. In just a few days, the only 2 advance copies of "Elfquest - the Gallery Edition" in the universe (or so it is fun to believe) will arrive, big and beautiful and redolent of printer's ink and elfin magic.

EQ Gallery advance sm

lunakat

This is sweet!

RedheadEmber

I wouldn't recommend eating it, though. 8-X

Thornbrake

If you haven't already, you can pre-order the Gallery Edition right here.

Thornbrake

Looks like there are two Gallery Edition threads, so I'm merging them.

Stefan

And they say size doesn't matter..

I love the light brown cover.

Elwing

Ohgosh, 720 pages? What's a 100 bucks for that much stuff!

Thornbrake

@Elwing, the 720 pg book is The Complete Elfquest and it's only $24.99. It's meant to be the affordable book that makes the Oiginal Quest accessible to new readers. I think it's a steal.

The Gallery Edition is $100 because it's a huge-size collector's edition.

Elwing

The first 5 issues, hmm, I'm so going to buy that. :bz

RichardPini

Yesterday's post (on the official EQ page) was full of squee after receiving our advance copies. We're calmer now, so here's a comparison shot to give you a sense of the grandeur of the Elfquest Gallery Edition, available this October from Dark Horse. It's nearly 12x18 inches in extent, and over six pounds in hardcover heft, not to mention the reproduction of Wendy's art is so superb that she herself said it was like holding her own originals again.

EQ books

Thornbrake

Dark Horse is doing Elfquest right!

Tavie

Thornbrake said: Dark Horse is doing Elfquest right!

I just sent them an email to tell them so.

Thornbrake

Great suggestion Tavie. I just did too. And I took the opportunity to ask for new editions of color graphic novels, action figures and posters too! :o3

Tavie

Thornbrake said: Great suggestion Tavie. I just did too. And I took the opportunity to ask for new editions of color graphic novels, action figures and posters too!

GMTA because I did the exact same thing in my e-mail!
~O)

tasmonia2000

I just pre-ordered mine. Oh what I would have given for an edition like this back in the day when I had more time for art! I have a feeling this will be very inspiring all over again =))

lumfan

Can anyone offer insight as to why the Cutter pin-up from the back of issue 1 is not included in the Gallery Edition??

It's my favorite piece of Wendy's and a very confusing (and glaring!) omission when all the other back cover pin-ups are included...

Still, even with this missing image, the Gallery Edition is nothing short of breathtaking!! Hoping someone tells me I have a misprint or something :)

Knightbird

For someone who has the Gallery Edition...could you tell me how many pages this book is???

Embala

176 pages

Covering issues 1 to 5 of the Original quest plus some extra pages of very early designs ... "elf-olution" ^^