ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Elfquest Final Quest #4

Warp Graphics

Elfquest Final Quest #4
Elfquest Final Quest #4

http://www.elfquest.com/elfquest-final-quest-4/

It is done, it is finished, it is on its way to Dark Horse via upload even as I type these words. What happens in this issue? What doesn't?! July may ...

Heather

What a spectacular tease! So excited to hear that you've got it done! And very happy to speculate until then. Now put your feet up, have a glass of wine and enjoy some chocolate! You've earned it!

RedheadEmber

I'm glad it'll be here before... August!
Is Shenshen in for yet another shocking wake-up?

krwordgazer

So... the one I just finished reading is labeled #2. Richard, can you please clarify-- is this one called #4 because you're counting the Prologue as #1? Or is there a #3 that is also done but not released-- and when is that one coming out?

Thornbrake

@krwordgazer Final Quest Special, issue #1 and issue #2 have been published. Issue #3 will be out on May 28th. Issue #4, the one that Wendy and Richard just delivered to Dark Horse as referenced above, will be out in July.

krwordgazer

Thanks, Thornbrake! So I only have to wait till May 28 for the next issue, and not July. . . Whew!

RedheadEmber

Got scared there for a sec?

Sheka

Such a tease! lol I'm looking forward to the next installments of the tale.

MrsGrizzley

May 28th??? That's, like... days before my birthday!!!

Maybe I can talk Hubbybear into letting me pre-order that issue!! Maybe...

Stefan

Well, going by the cover of issue 4 (http://www.newsarama.com/20869-dark-horse-comics-july-2014-solicitations.html) We are in for a bang..

Rob

EQFQ-4-FC-FNL

ChristinaRaibert

WAVEDANCERS!!!
oo... so we'll get to see flashbacks tying back to Turning Tide's era? *jumps excitedly up and down*
Hmm, to the light of this cover... I wonder if the Djuns ain't a descendant of Ardan Djarum? 'cause the gun definitely rings a bell. Though I wonder to what degree... Ardan Djarum's son died... and he made it sound like it was his only son. But he could have had female daughters that he considered to be of lesser worth, like the Djun with Gifa? That'd also set the NWD stories way back in time...
It also means we could get to see some WaveDancers from the past! Stormsong... Haze and Farbright.... Coral...
And I'm also wondering if the wave thing with Teir is metaphoric... or if the WaveDancers are going to play a part in the present as well? Maybe it'll take the combined powers of Leetah, Snakeskin and Skimback to refrain him... and Mender... from doing something foolish.
Kinda worried about the rocks... don't they look like wolves howling? If Angrif killed Ember, that'd explain the storm waves raging around Teir... *shudders to think* and the WaveDancers could perceive the loss through Sunstream's soul bond with Brill and Korafay...
I'm hazarding a guess that Angrif somehow finds out that "Recognized lifemates are linked", and shoots Ember so that Teir can perceive the injury and lead the tribe (and Mender) to him. I very much pray I'm wrong...

RichardPini

ChristinaRaibert said: I very much pray I'm wrong...

Heh heh heh. You've touched upon so many different facets in your comment. Which of them should we speculate upon as being totally wrong, somewhat wrong, a tiny bit wrong, not at all wrong, some of the above, all of the above or none of the above?

Or, to quote a wonderful Don Henley song, "Dirty Laundry"...
We can do "the innuendo,"
We can dance and sing.
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing...
;)

Tam

Oh my god.

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thornbrake

Lol @Tam

Tam

I'm so excited. All the drama. Musings of @ChristinaRaibert. Wavedancers. DRAMAAAAAAA Oh I can't wait :D

lunakat

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess, like Christina, that the Djun shoots Ember to force Mender to come... once he realizes the elves are mentally connected... and that Sunstream feels it- thus the Wavedancer flashback. And Tier collapsing in water. Ouch.

MultiFacets

@RichardPini So long as you don't move on to the "Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down, kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em all around" part, (with 'em bein' us) I think we can survive some teasers. ^n_n^

krwordgazer

Hmm. I'm thinking Two-Edge may have something to do with the swift transition from swords to pistols. . .

MrsGrizzley

Guys... that pistol is a "blunderbuss" style and is NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate. Just because the Djun pulled the trigger does NOT mean he HIT whatever he was aiming at.

Seriously, smoothbores can BARELY hit the broadside of a barn, which is why rifles were deemed so horrendously evil when they were developed. You could actually *aim* and expect to hit your target. That wasn't sporting, that was outright assassination on a battlefield!

Just sayin'...

RedheadEmber

krwordgazer said: Hmm. I'm thinking Two-Edge may have something to do with the swift transition from swords to pistols. . .

Indeed. A while back Wendy posted something on FB about "Oh Two-Edge, what have you wrought?"
A pistol perhaps...

Freethinker

Wow. Powerful cover. Teir down in the water... hmmm

RichardPini

Freethinker said: Wow. Powerful cover. Teir down in the water... hmmm

We're going for the disaster movie audience with this one, going to call it "The Upsidedown Adventure."

Freethinker

I like it! The color contrast, and the way Teir's arm draws you in. Very dynamic!

travelbug

Two weeks to go ;)
July 23 still feels far away..

Greyfox

Done with lurking on these forums...
The cover got me wondering whether Cutter and co. will use the palace for time traveling. Maybe go back in time before humans get guns from Two-Edge. Maybe that's why we see the Wavedancer flashbacks on the cover. I mean that could be the time humans learn about it. Am I completely lost here? Could that be the reason the rescue plan involves the spirits? To take the elves back in time and prevent this?

travelbug

I think maybe Angrif was on Ardan Djarums ship when the wavedancers sunk

lunakat

Side note- Man! I love Tier's hand! That's so expressive! Wendy does awesome hand poses!

Tam

I'm hoping they don't time travel...it just seems...against The Way to attempt to change the past, no matter how catastrophic. I'm hoping the Wavedancer flashbacks are only to indicate that we'll see more of them...past and present.

RedheadEmber

^ Me too.

lunakat

Maybe they just ask Surge for advice...?

Tam

Um, PREVIEW!! http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-777?page=0

LauraHeffner

@ Tam, I just read it! And I am ecstatic, especially because it addresses one of the teasers set up in issue 2 (Which has also been a focus of the podcast). Arg! I can't wait until this issue comes out!

LauraHeffner

Clarification: I was referring to the hint being one of the podcast's topics, not the issue itself, which is obvious. Sorry, I'm not the best writer. :)

Tam

I am SO EXCITED. :D I think what hit me most was actually, "wow, Serrin's still alive?" And kind of sad that even though she and Dart Recognized, they're little more than strangers now...I wonder if Bowki still lives too (though being 3/4ths Wolfrider, perhaps not).

lunakat

SPOILERS...

and thoughts:

edit in: The thing about the Djun's bastard son creating imagined legitimacy for himself by pretending to be from the future is pretty inspired! That was a super clever way to resolve a time-line conflict. Kudos to Wendy for sharp thinking!

Curious- If Serrin is a half Wolfrider, how is she still alive?

I like that it's possible for recognized mates to drift apart once the urge fades. That seems similar to real life.

I wonder if Moonshade's change of heart was influenced by her proximity to the Palace? Especially given her comments here to Windkin.

I'm a little disappointed that the humans weren't able to figure out gunpowder, and needed Two Edge to that extent. It's odd. They can build ships and citadels... but they can't figure out how a pistol works. Respect for Djun... lost!

I like the explanation about the Palace's aura and how spirits interact. That explains much.

Nice to see that Timmain has retained her usual fashion sense.

I am really looking forward to the rescue! This should be cool!

RedheadEmber

This preview is amazing. Gives so many answers.

Dart did tell his parents (at least Moonshade) about Serrin. Even though I would've loved to see it, it kinda makes sense that we didn't; shows that we don't see every part of their lives.

Ardam Djarum is Angrif's (half) brother. (Older, by the looks of it)

Being bound to the World of the Palace does not actually mean being bound to the Palace but Being bound the the huge spirit ball of the Palace.

As for Serrin (seemingly) being alive; maybe she ended up going into wrapstuff after all.

Tam

Or maybe Serrin pulled a Suntop and called all the "immortal blood" in the womb? XD

RedheadEmber

I thought that was only possible with Suntop and Ember because they're twins. They basically made an agreement while in the womb; "you get the immortal blood, I get the Wolfrider blood."

I'm actually kinda conflicted about this; I think it would be cool if there were descendants of Bowki among the Sunfolk. On the other hand; imagine a chance of seeing Serrin (and perhaps Bowki too) drawn by Wendy!

travelbug

So happy they posted the preview earlier this time =)) =)) =))
It makes the wait for the rest of the issue a bit easier :) :)

I'm surprized about Serrin still being alive. I didn't think that would happen. Does that mean she'll show up in Dart's life? I hoped he would get a new lovemate or recognize somebody new.
I wish we could learn a bit more about the sunfolk in the background.

Tavie

RedheadEmber said: Being bound to the World of the Palace does not actually mean being bound to the Palace but Being bound the the huge spirit ball of the Palace.

THIS was mind-blowing. I read that part over and over and over.

We'd thought that immortals were somehow more "restricted" because their souls are "tied to the palace" whereas wolfrider souls are free to roam the whole WoTM. So to have this bomb - that we're thinking too SMALL in terms of what "the Palace" means, that immortals can roam not only the WoTM but beyond, that's a game-changer!

Such a great, meaty teaser!

lunakat

They are restricted... if the palace ever leaves the wotm

Tavie

lunakat said: They are restricted... if the palace ever leaves the wotm

True... it's not completely unrestricted, but it's definitely not MORE restricted than wolfrider souls! That was always the impression I had previously, anyway.

Now I wonder just how big this "sphere" is... past the two moons, but how far beyond?

insanelad

Surely the 'world of the palace' is the original home of the High Ones, as the palace is a part of that. Does that mean that all the pods that were sent out share a spirit pool, and that spirits connected to them can move from one to another, and even go back to the home world?

Leanan

I may sound a tad cynical, but I will say it anyways:

I think Arjan Darum (or however he was spelled) being a madman who thinks he is from the future was a plot twist introduced only to untwist the knotted timeline.

Still, well done, Wendy and Richard!

...and now I am almost holding my breath until I find out if Kahvi is dead or not... :@)

lunakat

@Tavie- they would be, it seems, if the Palace leaves the planet- since they would have to travel with it, within the scope of its aura. So if it went galavanting through the stars... the immortal elves could not stay with the abode, while the mortal ones could.

@insaneland- that's an interesting idea. Maybe so. In that case, the above statement I just made could be modified by- unless a piece of the Palace stayed on the planet.

RedheadEmber

lunakat said: unless a piece of the Palace stayed on the planet.

Doesn't there? The Little Palace. I haven't read those Future Quest stories, but... don't they find it at one point.

jorenm93

Great preview! Finally the major story-line is connected with the Wavedancers 'stand-alone' story about Ardan Djarum. Me like!

Tam

RedheadEmber said: I thought that was only possible with Suntop and Ember because they're twins. They basically made an agreement while in the womb; "you get the immortal blood, I get the Wolfrider blood."

I was mostly being facetious. XD I find the idea silly anyway...I think Sunstream ended up with the immortal blood and Ember with the mortal blood because of luck, or because that's what Recognition demanded from those children at the time. I don't think there was a conscious decision on anyone's parts...they just say each twin "called" their respective bloods to them because they don't have another word for genetics. Maybe Serrin just got "lucky" and got immortal blood.

lunakat

Maybe Serrin had it removed, via Mender?

lunakat

I've got to say though, I did like the element of mortality in the story. It gave a weight to things. There was a poignancy in knowing that, while some characters might live a significant time, others were going to live shorter lives- either through accident or inevitable old age. The ability to remove wolf blood eliminates that and makes it a choice.. and there is something a little lost there- I dunno, some feeling about it that I don't quite know how to explain. I guess, before it was bittersweet- and now it's just.. a magical solution you either choose or not?

RedheadEmber

Just popping in to say

12!

Elwing

lunakat said:
Nice to see that Timmain has retained her usual fashion sense.

Made me chortle. Bless you.

Tam

lunakat said: I've got to say though, I did like the element of mortality in the story. It gave a weight to things. There was a poignancy in knowing that, while some characters might live a significant time, others were going to live shorter lives- either through accident or inevitable old age. The ability to remove wolf blood eliminates that and makes it a choice.. and there is something a little lost there- I dunno, some feeling about it that I don't quite know how to explain. I guess, before it was bittersweet- and now it's just.. a magical solution you either choose or not?

I'm guessing that'll likely be explored as more elves have to face this decision. It's so easy for a mortal elf to talk about mortality making life sweeter, but when faced with impending death and leaving loved ones to join some collective hivemind of spirits (or wander the universe alone), it's not so easy...and, on the flip side, easy for immortals to be happy with never having to face that until their mate does.

ChristinaRaibert

*flips*

I want a TARDIS now.

I find it hilariously in character for Ardan Djarum to pretend he's a future man and use a one of a kind weapon to validate his theory, that's bloody brilliant. Shall we find out in the next pages how he met his end? I'm wondering... was he killed by Surge and the WaveDancers, by his own men, or by Angrif himself? If the gun ended up in his hands, it could either be that he survived the meeting with the WaveDancers and got slayed by his half-brother... or he ran into Lehrigen or some other bounty hunter sent to off him for good.

One thing I wonder, though... Angrif claims that Ardan stole the gun from his father, so he must have lived in the Citadel at least for a period (it's not clear whether he was born there to begin with). Then he relocated in Farcast, and it's debatable whether it was there that he met his first wife, Ellia - but he was comfortably settled there when his son died, and the townfolk were all over the "legend" he had built around himself, of his being the Djun's descendant from a much distant future. So I wonder how it was that the Djun never sent any of his men to investigate? Perhaps Ardan was clever enough to wait until he had his own army of men at arms to start spreading rumors about his ancestry... either that or the Djun just got "Psht whatever, let that demented fool say what he will" and disinterested himself with the matter. *Then*, after Angrif stepped in, it ceased being a matter of little importance and he set out to weed off his father's progeny, be it from the present or the future.

I. Can't. Wait.

manga

If that gun is the only one, then we trash it. End of threat. I hope Ember has the tactical sense to work that out and, of course, the chance to do something!

jeb

That's what I was thinking, too. Doesn't seem as much of a threat when you know there's only one and the person who made it is gone. Seems like quite a slip of his hand for the Djun. "You sly dog, you got me monologueing!"

RedheadEmber

11!

jorenm93

Actually, I'm happy there's only 1 gun. Otherwise it would be (theoretically) too easy for the humans to slay a couple of elves.

Tam

jeb said: Seems like quite a slip of his hand for the Djun. "You sly dog, you got me monologueing!"

I think most villains fall into this trap. XD "Sure, I'll tell you all my secrets, THEN kill you! There's no way you're gonna be rescued anyway..."

Stefan

I hope the story will soon focus more on Cutter's tribe..

RedheadEmber

10!

Trollbabe

This issue's cover makes me think of old Western TV shows.

"Djunnsmoke"!!!!

Embala

:-bd

RedheadEmber

9!

:)

Soreyes

Just got done reading the preview and the first thought that came into my head was. "Use the Force Windkin" :)

RichardPini

lunakat said: I guess, before it was bittersweet- and now it's just.. a magical solution you either choose or not?

That almost makes it sound like such a choice would (or even could) be made lightly.

travelbug

The button for "Buy digital comic now" is up at darkhorse.com.
However, it does not work yet. That's just mean...

RedheadEmber

Of course it doesn't work yet. It's not out until tomorrow.

Tavie

travelbug

Its the 23 in australia now ;)

Tam

GOT IT

Tam

IT'S SO GOOD :D :D :D Can't wait to log on tomorrow to see everyone else's reactions!

Llannen

I'm torturing myself by waiting to buy the physical copy...and I work tomorrow. My husband has strict instructions to pick it up so that it is waiting for me when I get home.

Tavie

Omg omg omg

travelbug

Wow :-O

The end gave me tears in my eyes..

Tam

It was perfect. So many questions answered! Including Bowki's fate...interesting that Serrin still seems to be alive, but Bowki isn't. Maybe she went into wrapstuff.

travelbug

Bowki isn't mentioned, but he could still be around. Then again something could've happened to him. An accident of some kind?

RedheadEmber

I'm waiting for the physical copy, for two reasons:

1: I want a physical copy, and I don't think I can afford paying double.

2: If I buy it online I don't really know how much money I'll spend. For me paying in dollars might as well be paying with dreamberries.

CoyotesGirl

:-w
I just can't. And the waiting.
I don't even know.
Beautiful and heartbreaking.

Tam

Oh geez, my bad. I mixed up the comic info with his character profile, which has been updated to say he's died now, as he's part Wolfrider. But not Serrin. Hmm...

travelbug

Physical copies are way better than reading online, I think ;)
I totally understand you, Redhead. I just have no patience, so I get both :-\"

travelbug

I had to go read the character profiles of Serrin and Bowki.
Interesting that Serrin is still alive as she is half imortal, while Bowki was one quarter imortal and had wolfblood from both sides.
Does that mean imortal blood "waters down" by wolfblood quite quickly then? And the other way around?

Tam

Sounds like it. Serrin's profile says that she's lived many thousands of years longer than a regular Wolfrider...regular Wolfrider lifespan is about 3500 years, so while it sounds like she's probably mortal, the immortal blood tacked on a bunch of years. I'm guessing the same will apply to Ember.

Greyfox

@RedheadEmber; 23kr if you use the Dark Horse app on your phone. I always download them there at first until Fantask gets the physical copies $-)

RedheadEmber

I don't exactly have a Dark Horse app (or any apps for that matter) on my phone.

Tam

The price for the comic on the Dark Horse app, and for the ability to read it on the Dark Horse site, are the same, since they're the same thing. You don't have to have the app to buy digital comics. :)

But I totally understand about not wanting to spend double. I totally would if I had the disposable income, but Elfquest is seriously my bimonthly splurge.

Arthis

In two more days, I will FINALLY have my hands on my copy of issue #4!
I can't wait to say "my eyes see with joy, my hand touches with joy"

Embala

*happy for you, Arthis* :) Finally got mine last Saturday.

MaxvonBek

That final page...stunning! And who is that standing on the lower right of the page? I almost recognised them, but I couldn't call a name to mind!

Embala

The one who looks like a Glider? This would be Tyldak.

MaxvonBek

Demm! Of course it was! I really should have clicked considering who else was there! :)

travelbug

I really want to support my local comic store, but even after two weeks after the release of #4, they haven't recieved it...
Gotta love the darkhorse site :)

RichardPini

travelbug said: Gotta love the darkhorse site

Make sure to drop them a line and let them know. They appreciate good feedback same as we do!

Arthis

Finally! So so beautiful <3

Thornbrake

Arthis said: Finally! So so beautiful <3

@Arthis, what was your favorite part of the issue? I think mine was the three panel progression of Ember cutting off the connection to Teir.

lunakat

Thornbrake said: @Arthis, what was your favorite part of the issue? I think mine was the three panel progression of Ember cutting off the connection to Teir.

Until recently, Ember has always seemed a little long limbed and awkward to me. But the way Wendy draws her- she's gorgeous.

Thornbrake

lunakat said: But the way Wendy draws her- she's gorgeous.

I agree! I think she's one of the most beautiful elves. And I love that Sonny gets her blue-green eye color perfectly.

RedheadEmber

Thornbrake said: I think mine was the three panel progression of Ember cutting off the connection to Teir.

I like that one too.

lunakat said: Until recently, Ember has always seemed a little long limbed and awkward to me.

Until recently Ember has been a teenager (well, recentlyish).

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: Until recently Ember has been a teenager (well, recentlyish).

Good point.

Arthis

Thornbrake said: @Arthis, what was your favorite part of the issue? I think mine was the three panel progression of Ember cutting off the connection to Teir.

My favorite panels are the first page, the movement of Windkin and Moonshade flying is so gracious, and the last page, the glory of the spirits.
I've also been very touch by the terror in Teir's eyes when Ember cuts off the connection between them. I could feel his fear and pain in the "Don't leave me" and was so sad for him. Beside, I still don't understand Ember's choice... She said "I must do... but for Teir" and the result is putting Teir in even greater danger...

NEXT PAGE