ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

It’s The Elfquest Show!

RedheadEmber

RichardPini said: Lordy, lordy, I am so looking forward to November, 2017...

Oh... please. Tell me you're not gonna just kill everyone off and go "and that was it!" $-)

travelbug

Maybe not all, but a whole bunch?
Leaving only a few to leave in the palace

RedheadEmber

The worst part; I wouldn't put it past them!

travelbug

If the palace chief of Future Quest really is Cutter, this comment suggests that several wolfriders and maybe most of Cutters family is gone.

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: Oh... please. Tell me you're not gonna just kill everyone off and go "and that was it!"

No problem! I won't tell you. (Oh how I wish I had that Two-Edge smiley available right now!)

RedheadEmber

RichardPini said: No problem! I won't tell you. (Oh how I wish I had that Two-Edge smiley available right now!)

That made me feel soooo much better.

Llannen

Got back from vacation and now starting this last podcast....but wanted to ask, which comic line had the map of Abode? Otherwise I am going to drive myself nuts going through the comics looking for it AAANND fall into the wormhole of reading several of them for several hours....which isn't a bad thing except sleep might be required.

I love reading the comments that others have posted and listening to the podcast because I am glad I wasn't the only one that thought something like....oh say....that I'm not in love with the WaveDancers either. Or the miniseries (Kahvi or Two-Spear). Knowing that others have thought about these things and either agree (or not!) gives a sense of kinship or camaraderie.

Getting to involving fans during a podcast, maybe a facebook party or twitter party while you are doing the podcast? Is that a possibility? Not sure, I don't know how podcasts work....just a musing.

Keep 'em coming.....

RichardPini

I listened to the most recent (marathon) episode while driving and I have to say that, overall, I was delighted with it. Do I always agree with David's and/or Ryan's assessment of this or that? No. Do I sometimes wish I could somehow reach through time and space and toss in my own two cents? Yes. Do I find myself now and then reveling in smug geek joy at being privy to what's coming up (when they don't, neener neener)? You know it. Elfquest has never had this kind - or quality - of feedback/interaction before, and it's refreshing!

Thornbrake

RichardPini said: I listened to the most recent (marathon) episode while driving and I have to say that, overall, I was delighted with it. Do I always agree with David's and/or Ryan's assessment of this or that? No. Do I sometimes wish I could somehow reach through time and space and toss in my own two cents? Yes. Do I find myself now and then reveling in smug geek joy at being privy to what's coming up (when they don't, neener neener)? You know it. Elfquest has never had this kind - or quality - of feedback/interaction before, and it's refreshing!

Thanks Richard! We absolutely do not expect or even want you to agree with everything. It's our podcast, dangit, and we can say what we like! =))

Seriously, though, I know I speak for Ryan when I say we truly appreciate your appreciation!

And as far as your 2 cents, well, that's what this forum is for. So shoot, what did we say that got under your skin, or that we just got totally wrong? We love being wrong if it leads to some insight from you that we were too dense to pick up on.

RedheadEmber

So... when's the issue 3 podcast gonna happen? You only got two days until issue 4 is is out. >:>

Thornbrake

Soon. Or later. ;)

Tavie

MOAR

RichardPini

Thornbrake said:
And as far as your 2 cents, well, that's what this forum is for.

Ohhhhh no. I want to sit in a real peanut gallery while you two are rambling on an episode, and toss in the occasional teaser or correct pronunciation as it's happening. Chaos and/or hijinks will ensue. 8-X

Thornbrake

RichardPini said: Ohhhhh no. I want to sit in a real peanut gallery while you two are rambling on an episode, and toss in the occasional teaser or correct pronunciation as it's happening. Chaos and/or hijinks will ensue.

Perhaps we'll find some time at San Diego Comic Con to do just that!

travelbug

I hope you guys are able to do that. I think it would be great with Elfpop in a podcast :D

RedheadEmber

Aw yeah! Elfpop in a podcast would be absolutely awesome!

:> !Adar

Tavie

Thirded - please, @RichardPini, talk to the boys. We know you won't give them anything but teasing and puns, but we still want to hear it. :-\"

Tam

I've put off listening to much of it, just because I'm forgetful...but hearing Richard's teasing and puns would put me over the edge. XD

lunakat

I think it would be great fun!

Thornbrake

We're back! Last night Ryan and I recorded a new episode of The Elfquest Show! Episode 7 focuses on issue #3 of the Final Quest.

Here's Ryan's episode description: "Divorce? Nazi eagles? Communist deer? Is this still Elfquest?! Join Ryan and David as we discuss whether Ember will survive torture at the hands of Angrif Djun; if Strongbow and Moonshade can work out their "issues"; and the minutiae of Teir's philosophical musings on amphibians!"

Stream it or download it on SoundCloud right here. It's not live on iTunes yet but I'll post the link when it does.

REMEMBER: let us know your feedback, comments, questions, criticisms!

ENJOY!

Heather

Thanks again, guys!

lunakat

Happy happy joy joy!

Thornbrake

You're very welcome!

Llannen

Still not done with it but made a dent in it today.....

It sounds like Thornbrake needs some fragrant leaves to make his tree den complete! ;)
And I love what I call Thornbrake's reflective "uuuum" when Ryan poses a question and Thornbrake needs a moment to think.

Ryan-love love LOVE that you mentioned the pic with Nightfall braiding Redlance's hair. Going to go look at it.

I knew that Ember was a good mix of her parents but couldn't quite put my finger on it and with your discussion I think it is that both Ember and Sunstream have Cutter's nose. :) Obviously there are more shared physical and emotional characteristics that they share with their parents but that is what popped into my mind.

I believe that Cutter and Leetah exemplify the honorable characteristic of respect and not against another's will by respecting Ember's wish to not be rescued. I agree it is important to the story line that the palace isn't always swooping in but at the same time, it's true to form for the elves and for those two in particular in restraining themselves and respecting Ember's wish and the way. I have young children and already the little displays of independence that my kids have requires so much restraint and my and my husband's "brave face" when all I want to do is snatch them back and protect them from disappointment, harm and learning. I know they need to experience those things to become heroines in their own right but dang it, that parental instinct is something they don't warn you about when you decide to procreate.

As for Teir calling on the frog, at first I thought when he said "for the good of the group" he meant the elves and human children. But your discussion had my wheels turning and what if it that statement was to imply for the good of the frog group (if frogs have groups?)...meaning maybe Teir is calling on an animal that is geriatric or ill and asking it to sacrifice it's life sooner to keep the ecosystem healthy and to keep the tribe fed? The scene bothered me as well and that is how I am going to find the balance in my heart....while I know the world can be cruel, I do believe a quick relatively painless death is mercy, especially when the majority of the tribe's meals are hunted down.

Just some thoughts on the first little bit I have listened to, can't wait to stretch out the fun a little longer over the next couple of day's.

lunakat

I love Llannen's comments. The podcast was great! I listened while working- and it got me through the day- it was so much fun! Great insights!

I agreed with pretty much everything you guys said, except for one thing. Moonshade and Strongbow. What is happening to them is actually a very common phenomenon- and unrelated to immortality. People in long term relationships and marriages get tired of each other and/or grow apart all the time. Two friends of mine, who have been married twenty years (since they were teenagers) are getting divorced because they simply got bored with each other. I think, also, the sudden shock of realizing your spouse has a life outside of you and interests you don't share- is a very common human experience as well. It's so common, it's actually a trope (urban dictionary style). Stronbow is old school. Until now- so was Moonshade. Picture men in the 1960s with conventional lives, conventional thinking, conventional everything- and their wives, previously complacent housewives, suddenly discovering the feminist revolution and stepping outside of the family home to have careers and establish their independent lives. What a shocker. It's the same shocker Strongbow is getting. So I don't think that the current complications in their relationship are specific to them being elves- I think they are an excellent example of the kinds of problems that can crop up in human relationships- when one person changes and the other does not.

Llannen said: As for Teir calling on the frog, at first I thought when he said "for the good of the group" he meant the elves and human children. But your discussion had my wheels turning and what if it that statement was to imply for the good of the frog group (if frogs have groups?)...meaning maybe Teir is calling on an animal that is geriatric or ill and asking it to sacrifice it's life sooner to keep the ecosystem healthy and to keep the tribe fed? The scene bothered me as well and that is how I am going to find the balance in my heart....while I know the world can be cruel, I do believe a quick relatively painless death is mercy,

Yeah... I agree. I don't feel that there much point in moralizing the killing of these animals. Wolfriders kill animals to eat them- it's just a thing they do and have always done. And, lets be frank, they enjoy it. They like killing things. Asking a frog to recognize that it's sacrifice is for the well being of the ecosystem is a little inane. And feeling it's necessary to insert into the story that the frog is willing to die for the greater good feels like sugar coating or pandering. It's just a little lame. Kill the frog because you need to eat it. And call a spade a spade.

RedheadEmber

Don't worry... I won't (why did I write "want"? I'd think I'd figured out the difference between "want" and "won't" by now.) hate you for having a signed version of the big-huge "Elfquest Bible."
I might, however, sneak up on you one day, knock you out, and steal the book! 8-X

I thought the big girl was 'Molli', while the little girl's name hasn't been revealed.

Buuut... Dagurl is a good name. =P~

Thornbrake

Really great points @Llannen and @lunakat! For the frog, I think it was less about moralizing the fact that the elves kill to eat and more about explaining how and why Teir uses his power to control the wills of animals.

Thornbrake

lunakat said: Yeah... I agree. I don't feel that there much point in moralizing the killing of these animals. Wolfriders kill animals to eat them- it's just a thing they do and have always done. And, lets be frank, they enjoy it. They like killing things. Asking a frog to recognize that it's sacrifice is for the well being of the ecosystem is a little inane. And feeling it's necessary to insert into the story that the frog is willing to die for the greater good feels like sugar coating or pandering. It's just a little lame. Kill the frog because you need to eat it. And call a spade a spade.

So, Wendy elaborated just a little bit more about this scene on Facebook, and turns out it's because she doesn't like the "mind control" aspect of how Teir's powers have been portrayed previously, and she's attempting to show it in a different light.

Here's what she said:

There's always been some confusion about how Teir's powers work. I, myself, have never been a fan of "animal control" powers. In earlier stories in which Teir appeared, the depiction of his influence over animals made me uneasy. Mind control, to me, is heinous (hence villainous Winnowill). Teir's powers in FQ Ish 3 are depicted as working in harmony with the animals' natural instincts...letting them choose their behaviors, as it were. There will be more fine tuning of this as the story progresses.

lunakat

That makes sense. So it's sort of like hypnosis? You can't really hypnotize someone without their consent- even if it's unconscious consent. He's persuading the animals by preying on their natural instincts and augmenting them. Maybe? Shifty.

RedheadEmber

Just a thought about Dewshine asking Khorbasi to wrap up Daboi's foot.

I don't think it was so much because she didn't want anything to do with the humans, as it was because she knew that the children were still somewhat afraid of the elves, they were probably a bit vary of Khorbasi as well, knowing him only as 'The Mountain Man', but at least he's a fellow-human.
Not only that, but Khorbasi's message that the elves are just people wouldn't work so well if it came from an elf.

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: I don't think it was so much because she didn't want anything to do with the humans, as it was because she knew that the children were still somewhat afraid of the elves

This is very true.

Llannen

Thanks @lunakat! It's sometimes hard to remember everything I think of when driving and listening and then to actually have quiet time to type it all out! I finally finished this morning and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Not to belabor the point, but I had one more thought on the animal thing. I wonder if Teir protects his soul or mind or conscience by saying what he says so that he doesn't feel bothered by using his powers? He is....sensitive. What I didn't articulate so well is that a quick "hypnotized" death by jumping on a blade might be less stressful for the animal than being hunted...not that the Wolfriders are inept at a quick kill!

And if Teir presents/projects his tribe as young animals to the deer, then the group idea works better (to save and protect the young-some animals do that).

Anyhoo....

I don't think it was so much because she didn't want anything to do with the humans, as it was because she knew that the children were still somewhat afraid of the elves,
Excellent point!

Thornbrake

Hey Everyone - We could use some more reviews and comments on iTunes. This will help the Elfquest Show rank better in iTunes system and expose it to more potential listeners. If you can, take a minute to head over there and let us know what you think of the podcast.

Ryan and I would be SUPER appreciative if you did.

travelbug

I did write one, but it doesnt show properly when I'm on my ipad, I cant see anyone elses either. I havent been able to check it out from a "real" computer

Knightbird

I wanted to take the time to tell you that I love your pod cast. Been a long time EQ fan and it's great to see good conversation over it. I might not chime in to much, because my memory is not all that great anymore. But like I told a friend, "It is time to come back to the Palace."

Thornbrake

So glad you're enjoying the show, @Knightbird!

Knightbird

I had a question... I was looking at my book "In All But Blood" and I seen "Full Circle". You remember you mentioned it in a show, but seeing it now I remember it. Did that story original come out in "In All But Blood"? or did it come out on it own? :-S

Thornbrake

Full Circle was only ever published in the Elfquest Reader's Collection book "In All But Blood" published by Warp.

Knightbird

I recently (like about a week or so ago) I put together a group on Facebook called "The Makoshika Tribe". Basicly, giving me a place to put my ElfQuest stuff. I have been warned by some close friends of being is disowned. I also wanted to give ElfQuest fans of Eastern Montana and Western North Dakota a shout out. From Billings, MT to Williston, ND., every town is growing at a fast rate. I have been seeing interest in Comic Conventions around here. I have a couple of friends in Billings who are into it big time. I don't know how good I'll be at this, but hell...why not.

And this is your invite to drop in from time to time. Talk about The ElfQuest Show and correct me in all of your political correctness.

Here's your link so you can find your way... https://www.facebook.com/groups/755131931207091/

Llannen

Hope Missoula included in there! (My hometown!!)

Knightbird

Missoula is in Western Montana, but you are welcomed to join. More the merrier.

Knightbird

Hey, I have a question and I'm not sure if this right thread to ask on or not, so I'm going to anyway....

What happened to Pike's Cat???

Did I miss that story line or what?

Thornbrake

Knightbird said: Hey, I have a question and I'm not sure if this right thread to ask on or not, so I'm going to anyway....

What happened to Pike's Cat???

Well, we haven't discussed Stubtail on The Elfquest Show podcast, but I can say that it seems like he lived out his natural life with the Wolfriders and passed away by the time of the events of the Final Quest.

Thornbrake

Oh, and Ryan and I just recorded a NEW episode, this time focusing on issue #4. Should be live shortly and I'll share the link when it does!

lunakat

yay!

RedheadEmber

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

When you think about it, it's kinda strange that everyone in the Palace isn't just walking around 'in their birthday suits'. I'm pretty sure the elves aren't using clothes because of any sense of "shyness", but rather to

A: Protection against the elements

B: For fashion reasons

'A' obviously isn't an issue within the Palace - I'm pretty sure they have central heating - so in the Palace wearing clothes would be purely for reason 'B' and... let's face it; those see through clothes enhance the bodies of the elves quite nicely.

---

What one of you mentioned about Ember thinking "he did that on purpose" when first seeing Ardan kinda reminded me of Leetah's reaction when she saw Redlance back in OQ2.

---

Are you guys really howling, or are you just playing a sound-file of wolves howling? You should totally do the first! :O)

Thornbrake

Hey Gang - Episode 8 of the The Elfquest Show podcast just went live! This time we cover issue #4 of the Final Quest. We're finally all caught up!

We send Teir to bed with some milk, cookies, and tissues after ruminating over how big an aura is, dyeing your hair with leg-lift, much nakedness in the Palace, parental potential, and Go-Backs with guns.

Will you enjoy it? You Behtia (betcha)!

Listen to it on SoundCloud right here.

Tavie

OH GOD! That reminds me that I still have about 20 minutes of the LAST episode to finish! Luckily I have a nice long mindless project to do at work today, perfect for podcast-listening.

Tavie

Thornbrake said: Will you enjoy it? You Behtia (betcha)!

:-S

:-S

=))

Thornbrake

That joke was all Ryan's! 8->

RedheadEmber

Awesome episode once more! B-)

Also: Go-Backs with guns! Someone; MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

>:> :-\" >:D

Heather

Must listen with a legal pad at my side to take notes ;)

lunakat

RedheadEmber said: Also: Go-Backs with guns! Someone; MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

If I have the time, I will give you Go Backs with guns in a week. I just listened to the podcast. I love you uber-geeks! Thanks for the shout out. This podcast is so gratifying... like a warm cheese sandwich. It warms the cockles of my elf-quest lovin little heart.

Thornbrake

lunakat said: If I have the time, I will give you Go Backs with guns in a week. I just listened to the podcast. I love you uber-geeks! Thanks for the shout out. This podcast is so gratifying... like a warm cheese sandwich. It warms the cockles of my elf-quest lovin little heart.

As your wonderful compliments do for us! :x

Stormsong8

A lot behind on them, but loving it as well. You in fact inspired me to change my name from JRose to my original forum name...LOL So if you guys see me around I am now using Stormsong8.

Thornbrake

Have you listened to the latest episode of The Elfquest Show podcast? Give it a listen to learn about a little fanart challenge Ryan and I are doing.

We want to see YOUR drawings of Go-Backs with Guns!

We'll announce the winner on the next podcast, so this is your chance to get mentioned on-air. Deadline for entries is one week from today - Saturday, Sept 20th.

Here's Ryan's take on the subject, to kick things off.

Go Backs with Guns

Nightsea

Great Go-Backs with Guns pic!
Since I do "dollz" here's a tektek style generic Go-Back with gun:

What's Ryan's forum name (does he have one or is the pike emoji as close as we get?)

Thoughts:

how about as the palace grows in power, the aura expands? At Voll's time it was smaller, now after more elf recharging it extends past the planet.

This ties in with your idea about classic fairy lore being represented in EQ in that it
now makes me think of a new possibility: instead of leaving the planet, the
Palace, with it's increase of magical ability and spirits in a ball roaming semi-tethered, eventually forms an "alternate reality"/"different plane"/"fairy realm"? Something that overlaps the human world in places and doesn't in others...that myth is one I can see Wendy & Richard drawing on as parallel source material (pun intended). Also, due to pods, planet leaving is still an option too!

I find it hard to listen to long podcasts and radio talk shows. I also don't
like books on tape...it is just something I find hard to focus on for extended timeframes...and I have a preference for reading things myself.
If it weren't for "because EQ" I never would get into that type of media.

BUT...I do find it, as Richard said, "refreshing" to actually now HEAR other fans. EQ is getting bigger in every way I think, with more fans, more levels of interaction and more exposure (naked Palace orgy *snicker*). I like not being the only EQ fan ever to mispronounce a name (or as a reader think a different set
of inflections or vowel sounds than that intended by the author). I like
speculations, guesses, gut reactions and the perspective changes that come
from listening to another fan set of reactions, whether they are posts as text
or this conversational style broadcast. I do think the podcast engages us all in a new
way, however, with it being more "immediate" and "visceral" somehow.
Tone and speed, vocal inflection...these aspects include us in the joke or clue
us in on the emotional intent better than text alone can do. As a new media outlet
we now have another "source" for our EQ fixation and I *stand up and clap loudly*
for you guys...well done indeed fellas!

*howls*
--NS

PS: I'm not often on FB, so I miss alot that goes on there (thanks to the podcast I now remember to look!). But I have to comment on the image for that video that one of you two podcasters posted there:

I don't recall ever seeing that image before! But...strangely it reminds me of
a doll trio I did in 2007:

Maybe just because of the pose of Skywise, one leg lifted while running...
but also just because it is the same three characters. Well and also Cutter
looks "too buff" in both. LOL Anyway, who did the character art in that image?
Doesn't look like Wendy....???

maatkare22

Good podcast--went thru it in one hike in Griffith Park. But--it would be cool if you guys could work thru the issue before breaking down the minutiae of page 1 for the first hour. Your knowledge as always is impressive. I know there aren;t enough hours in the day and you guys have, you know, day jobs & stuff, but with the new collected volume I'd love you guys to do a 'cast covering the original quest.

RedheadEmber

I'm pretty sure they're trying. However, this podcast series might as well be renamed The Going-Off-A-Tangent-Or-10-Or-100 Elfquest Show.

Heather

I agree I would like the issue covered before the tangents. I think this could be handled with editing. Also, if you edit it down, that means you could release a podcast a week (or there abouts), that was around 30 minutes long. You would have plenty of great source material to work from.

Shadowfire

awww but guys, we love the show as it is! who knows what it'll be like if they start editing and changing the way they do it! i say, GO FOR IT! i love the 2 hour long podcasts, i was SO excited when i saw this one was another long one! and the tangents are just as interesting as the issue, most of the time, as long as they stick to being EQ-related. ;) while i can understand everyone just wanting to get straight to the comics, or shorter podcasts, but if they do that we'd be out of EQ Show to listen to much faster and be begging them for more anyway! i say, keep doing what your doing guys! we love the podcast, it's doing great! so why fix it if it ain't broken? ;;) in any case, keep up the great work guys, i absolutely love listening and can't wait for every new episode! :) i'll also try to post my notes on it here, instead of the Facebook page. it seems things can get messy and lost over there... ;)

RedheadEmber

I kinda like the tangents too.

Thornbrake

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Ryan and I both want to keep the conversation fluid and let it go where it will. Tangents happen during the course of conversation--that's what makes 'em tangents--so you can't really plan them or save them for the end. And to be honest, we're trying to avoid a lot of editing simply because we have such limited time to do this podcast.

Even though we're focusing on the Final Quest, we actually do talk a lot about past events too, so we're not planning on taking on older storylines specifically (at least for now). What we might do, now that we're caught up, are special episodes focusing on specific topics (like Wendy's evolving art style), or to do interviews, and these quite likely would be shorter episodes. So stay tuned.

travelbug

I like it when you guys talk yourselves of track for a bit :)

Thornbrake

travelbug said: I like it when you guys talk yourselves of track for a bit

lol Thanks. The thing is, the way I see it, if we're talking about Elfquest, we're on track. O:-)

travelbug

Very true ;)
it's good the way you look back at the previous stories, and talk about little (older) details that somehow fit into Final Quest :) it makes us listeners see little things we may not have noticed before.

Thornbrake

travelbug said: it's good the way you look back at the previous stories, and talk about little (older) details that somehow fit into Final Quest :) it makes us listeners see little things we may not have noticed before.

Yes, and that's exactly what we want to do, and also why we don't want to get too militant about not going on "tangents" and limiting ourselves to only talking about events of a particular issue.

travelbug

Keep the podcasts as they are. A 2hour podcast is better than most tv nights :D

Knightbird

You mentions in the show about all the publication coming out having to do with ElfQuest and Wendy and Richard. Could you list those again? I would love to share them with my group on Facebook.

Heather

I think the main reason for me on the length is also for newer fans to the realm of Elfquest, those who are wanting to find out more may be put off by length. Most podcasts are around the 30 minute mark. Many people won't even think of listening to one that is over 45. Many of us are "hard core" fans and for people who are just now discovering Elfquest, the time may be an issue for them.
Regardless of length, I know I will continue to listen, but I personally don't even have a tv night! Due to my schedule, I have to split listening into a few days.

travelbug

Good point Heather :)
I forget that not everybody sits alone in the evening after the kids are put to bed.

Thornbrake

Heather said: I think the main reason for me on the length is also for newer fans to the realm of Elfquest, those who are wanting to find out more may be put off by length. Most podcasts are around the 30 minute mark. Many people won't even think of listening to one that is over 45. Many of us are "hard core" fans and for people who are just now discovering Elfquest, the time may be an issue for them.

These are all great points that Ryan and I have discussed. Keeping the podcast to 30 minutes is just impossible. There's too much to talk about and get through, and as I mentioned above, we want the conversation to flow naturally and go where it will. We know that not everyone wants to listen to a super long podcast, but there's no reason people can't listen in installments. I listen to several long-format podcasts and this is what I do.

Also, just the like the Final Quest itself, this podcast really isn't geared towards newbies to Elfquest. Die-hard fans seem to be ok with the length.

Llannen

I finished it and I did it in several days like Heather....I do most of them that way but I am okay with that. I have a one hour commute one way typically so it leaves me hanging. If I'm smart then I can start one at the end of the week and then have just enough podcast to motivate me on a run (which I really hate doing so I need some help).

I am intrigued by Ryan's comment of ideas for podcasts in the future and can see he has taken a page out of Elfmom/pop's tease book.

The one discussion/tangent that I really appreciated was about wildlife and how it can be....not as expected. To put it delicately, or not, I have heard people say they prefer animals to people and that statement is okay to me BUT when they take it to the next step and say animals are so much nicer than people, I have to pause and wonder what wildlife they are talking about. Even with domesticated pets, there is still always potential for violence. What I prefer about animal violence, is it seems to be motivated by instinct and not true evil.

I apologize for stirring the pot on that tangent..... :O)

Thornbrake

Llannen said: I apologize for stirring the pot on that tangent....

I'm taking a page out of @RichardPini's playbook and making up a new rule:

The first rule of The Elfquest Show is that there are no such things as tangents, and if there are, refer to rule #1. =P~ =))

Heather

"The first rule of The Elfquest Show is that there are no such things as tangents, and if there are, refer to rule #1."

Cheeky! ;)

RichardPini

Weighing in with my two cents (just about 5 grams), I've become fond of the rambling nature of each long single-issue episode. Often, I need to drive someplace and the trip takes 1-2 hours; these longish installments are great for making the boring road seem a lot shorter. However, I can see where others are coming from, regarding newbies. How about (in your copious spare time) putting together a half-hour or so, totally intro kind of show, Episode 0? Talk about EQ in general, or your own feelings about the entire saga then-to-now, or something like that?

Thornbrake

RichardPini said: How about (in your copious spare time) putting together a half-hour or so, totally intro kind of show, Episode 0? Talk about EQ in general, or your own feelings about the entire saga then-to-now, or something like that?

That's an idea! Although do you REALLY think we'd be able to do that in just 30 minutes? :D Seriously though I'll talk to Ryan about this, because I'd like to offer something for new fans for whom the marathon episodes might be too much.

Rob

How about have more shows? Let the tangents go where they will, but record 4 hours instead of 2-3, and just chop it into commute-sized weekly 1-hour segments instead of the monthly monster. That'll create discussion cliffhangers, too...

RedheadEmber

I admire you Guys who're actually able to stop listening to an episode.
With me it's:
"YAY! New episode, gotta listen! :D" *two ours later* "That was awesome! Gotta go do stuff/go to bed!"

travelbug

Im the same, Red :)
At best, I listen while cleaning my kitchen.

Tavie

Rob said: How about have more shows? Let the tangents go where they will, but record 4 hours instead of 2-3, and just chop it into commute-sized weekly 1-hour segments instead of the monthly monster. That'll create discussion cliffhangers, too...

=D>

This.

lunakat

I kind of like the current format- because I listen to it while working and it gets me through an otherwise distracting day.

Thornbrake

Rob said: How about have more shows? Let the tangents go where they will, but record 4 hours instead of 2-3, and just chop it into commute-sized weekly 1-hour segments instead of the monthly monster. That'll create discussion cliffhangers, too...

We've tried that approach too. It became difficult to have a flowing conversation and still find natural places to break without it just cutting off. It then means that people have to listen to the intro and outro multiple times too, which was annoying. Also, we got feedback from people saying that they'd prefer to just listen to it as one long show, and that breaking up was confusing.

So, lots of different opinions on what works and what doesn't, and of course some people want it one way, some people want it others...so maybe we'll try to mix it up a bit and do some longer format and some shorter and see if we can't please the masses. :-*

RedheadEmber

Hopefully now that you'll record the next episode as soon as the next issue is out *hint-hint* there'll be more time to do some "special episodes" thus (maybe) being more conscious about not going off too many tangents (you know, spend 15 minutes talking about the first page, as opposed to an hour) instead saving the "tangent stuff" for other episodes.

For example: You starting talking about... say... magic because of something. Instead of spending several minutes discussing elfquestey magic in general, you could just go "but we'll save that for another episode."

BTW: I'm looking forward to the special Orgy Episode. ;)

lunakat

In the special orgy episode, I'm expecting some engaging speculation!

Thornbrake

lunakat said: In the special orgy episode, I'm expecting some engaging speculation!

Ryan's head will explode with excitement over this! :D

Thornbrake

Knightbird said: You mentions in the show about all the publication coming out having to do with ElfQuest and Wendy and Richard. Could you list those again? I would love to share them with my group on Facebook.

@Knightbird, here's a handy listing of the four new graphic novels either already out or slated to premiere in the next 7 months:

The Complete Elfquest - Volume 1
Collects the entire Original Quest in crisp black and white. 720 pages for only $24.99
Order it here.
Complete Elfquest Vol 1 actual

Elfquest: The Original Quest Gallery Edition
Collect first five issues of the Original Quest at the original size of the art (approx 18x12") and with Wendy's sketch marks and notes. This is for real collector's edition at approx. $99.99
Order it here.
Gallery Edition Cover

The Complete Elfquest - Volume 2
Collects the Siege at Blue Mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheels storylines in crisp black and white. 522 pages for just $24.99.
Order it here.
Complete Elfquest Vol 2

The Final Quest - Volume 1
Collects the first six issues of the Final Quest, plus the Final Quest Special. Full color. $16.99.
Order it here.
Final Quest GN Vol 1

Woolbender

travelbug said: At best, I listen while cleaning my kitchen.

I find it helpful for when the mountain of clean but unfolded laundry has gotten out of control. ;)

Sometimes I like the tangents and sometimes I feel like "Oh, come on already!" So do what you will with that. Aroree's hair was blond in my Donning/Starblaze edition of Book 3, btw. It is silver/colorless in my Father Tree Press Siege at Blue Mountain (Book 5). You can't dye anything yellow with urine since I believe chemically it is close to ammonia, especially as it ages. Just my 2 1/2 cents on that tangent. ;)

travelbug

Urine actually makes a blue color, used by rich important people such as chieftains and kings back in the day :)
poor people and slaves wore whatever color the animal they got the materials for their clothes from.
(Onions makes a nice yellow color. Beetroot makes red.)

(I remember this from primary school, we had a school trip to a rebuilt bronze age settlement)

Edit: urine fixed blue colors to fabric, when mixed with woad.
http://ancientstandard.com/2010/12/

RedheadEmber

travelbug said: Unions makes a nice yellow color.

What kind of unions?

travelbug

Ordinary ones with the brown peel. Yellow onions/kepa.
Dont know about the red onions.

lunakat

Actually- blue dyes were made from plants and minerals- such as indigo, woad, crushed lapiz lazuli. Either the stones to make the blue dye were valuable- or the plants needed to be imported across a distance- that's why blue was expensive.

Piss made yellow. When I was traveling, I got to try out miniature painting with natural paints. The yellow was made from dried camel piss.

Onions... I don't know. I have no idea if onions are used to make dyes. That would be interesting to learn.

RedheadEmber

travelbug said: Ordinary ones with the brown peel. Yellow unions/kepa.
Dont know about the red unions.

I'm being a meanie teasing you about spelling. You're talking about Onions. Unions are... what the United States are in with each other...

travelbug

Geez.. I write way to little in English these days.
My spelling is all over the place 8->

Thornbrake

Just finished recording episode #9 of The Elfquest Show! Will be live very soon.

Elfquest Show recording

lunakat

Oh, to nerd out with you! Happy happy joy joy!

Thornbrake

Episode #9 of The Elfquest Show podcast is live! Ryan and I kick this episode off with the winner(s) of our first contest and announce the details on a potential fan-feedback episode (let us know if you're interested!).

Then it's on to the usual fare of "kissin' cousins," elf birth control, suppressed Recognition, elf sexism, Windkin's comely butt, and swords and guns!

Enjoy!

RedheadEmber

OH MY HIGH ONES!!!! Less that two hours, you guys are getting quick! :-O

Actually I'd say it's Zey who takes the prize as everyone's least favourite Go-Back, or maybe even least favourite elf.

Crazy?! What you talking about?

Are you sure the gorge Rayek made was the one that split the tribe? When you go back and read that KoBW issue you see that he actually made it behind all the Go-Backs (because he wanted them to be kept from the Palace, which he of course ended up removing and ultimately taking 10,000 years into the future). When Kahvi and Tyldak eventually returned they'd all made their way back to the old (well, second) Lodge.
As for how the descendants of the Go-Backs ended up on the plains; well... when Windkin retold the story he said that Kahvi - with the help from Tyldak - would "round up the Go-Backs" only to eventually become tired of being chieftess. Seems to me that the Go-Backs returned to their old 'wandering ways' that they'd had before starting to feel the pull of the Palace. My guess is that they just began splitting off into smaller groups: It's easier to feed a group of fifteen than feeding a group of fifty. Actually, if you think about it; the Go-Backs could be the only tribe having some issues with overpopulation; they still have the ability to have children without Recognition - if Teir's story is anything to go by then his adoptive parents did have a son without; his Brother - but they aren't constantly getting killed by trolls.

To me it actually looks like it's one of the wolves uttering the "By the halls of Blue Mountain" statement. :O)

I defintely thought Teir looked female as well. Maybe he was being depicted the way he would have looked like if he had been the girl Kahvi had wanted.

Elfquest Family trees:

Teir definitely inherited his father's nice butt! B-)
And Tyldak had a rather nice butt too. Seem to run in the family!

I really agree with Ryan about forcing Recognition/ turning off Recognition. When you think about it it's actually Pike who's a bit weird: Maybe that was only possible because Rain played a pretty active role in the child-making.
Leetah probably could have forced Redlance's and Nightfall's 'Recognition' without the Palace, but I dare say it made it easier.
One more thing; Leetah told Vurdah that both parties should want it (forced Recognition), I'd say it's the same for turning off Recognition. If Teir had been totally "No! I want our child. You'll be a great mother, and everyone will help you anyway." then I don't think they could've shot if off.

You dirty-minded boys! [-X

Uhm... Ryan... you need some sleep?

So... Ryan; you're least favourite moment is the fact that Teir is the son of Kahvi and Windkin, but your favourite moment is the fact that Teir is the son of Windkin and Kahvi? Alright...

The burned girl = Tinder? No! Just NO!

(Uhm... should I add a little time-noter for all of my random comments? I just listen and add a new comment everytime I hear something that makes me want to comment.)

Tavie

Just starting to listen and want to say how awesome it is that my two personal favorites won the Go Backs with Guns challenge! >:> so much fun, I hope there are more of these!

Knightbird

Here is my $.02 about your show. I worked for many years at a TV station (with 2 radio stations attached). I have good friend who came back after leaving for another job for couple of years. He came back to start up a Rock Show. This was a 3 hour show he was trying to have on Saturday nights, but there were the sporting event and other things that got in the way. He moved it around to Fridays or Sundays. Some people at the station even tried to tell him how to run it. I could see he was frustrated and he asked me for my opinion.

I asked him who paid for the time he was on air and he said he did (it wasn't free). Then I asked who did the adds he aired and well, he did. Then I asked him who visited these sponsers for payment and again he said, he did. I told him to run it the way he wanted to...it was his show. That was over 13 years ago and it is still running today. Also the thing about it moving around....well, fans will accommodate.

As for your show my advice is the same...it's your show. Make any length you see fit. Your fans WILL accommodate.

NEXT PAGE