ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Do You Have the Write Stuff?

Warp Graphics

http://www.elfquest.com/do-you-have-the-write-stuff/

Sound the alarm! Have Facebook, Twitter, online forums and blogs killed the letter of comment? You know ... those things you used to write to your ...

RedheadEmber

My problem is that if I were to write a letter it would be a LOT of incoherent rambling...

Serenity2

I have been a follower for twenty years. Seen Cutter and his kin make it through the bad times and enjoy the good times. At one time or another, one of them would fascinate me more than the rest. Right now it's Moonshade with desire to become immortal. Looking back on the kind of character she was, always supporting Strongbow in his decisions, I had trouble rationalizing that. But then I had to compare this high-profile couple to a human marriage where she's a tailor and he's a politician. Sadly it wouldn't work. All in all, brava.

Thornbrake

Here's a tip: when you write a particularly insightful comment here in this forum, or on any of the various Elfquest Facebook pages, take and extra minute to copy and paste it into an email to elfquest@darkhorse.com too.

Trollbabe

Surprises me they haven't gotten responses. I thought e-mail meant publishers were flooded with comments. Thanks for the tip.

TrollHammer

Not that I feel like I have much to say, but one of the issues is that our local comic shop (yes, one, and they can barely be called that) wont stock ElfQuest, orders it only on request, and it takes a month or more after you request it for it to come in. Found all this out with the prologue last year.

I would rather order it direct but I didnt even know until reading this discussion who was printing it. I have been away from comics so long I have gotten lost. Funny thing, I was about to head in to town to take my son into the conic shop to get his first comic book and I have no idea if there will even be anything he can have....

Anyway, I was also under the assumption that comic producers were swamped with letters, both real and electronic, and had to wade through them all to find the few "lucky" submissions that were written well enough to publish. Once I catch up on the series I may have to write one.

(Pssst, hey Red, go ahead and write! :D )

RichardPini

Trollbabe said:
Surprises me they haven't gotten responses. I thought e-mail meant publishers were flooded with comments. Thanks for the tip.

You'd think that, wouldn't you. But it's so easy for attention to flitter from one thing to another online. If you (not you particularly, but anyone) don't make an effort to preserve your thoughts and reactions fresh when you're having them, a few minutes later the impulse and inspiration will be gone forever.

Trollbabe

I'll have to pick up the latest copy as soon as I can get my car running again. BTW I really can relate to the impulse and inspiration being gone in a few minutes. At my age, everything that goes on in my brain is gone in a few minutes.

marinayurk

People, I likely passed
where it is written about
last native planet? It will
appear in the future?

RedheadEmber

I can't figure out whether I should be proud or slightly mortified that you published my incoherently rambling letter.

marinayurk

Oh!

RichardPini

@Thornbrake over on Facebook just posted this:

Have you sent your thoughts to The Elfquest letter column yet? Raevienne Vineleaf and I have both already had our letters printed in recent issues. Yours can be too if you send them to elfquest@darkhorse.com.

To which I replied:

Well, that's fine if those who have had letters printed already, want to give others a chance. However, THAT requires that others actually write! And about the current issue, too. Letters that didn't get used on previous issues, sorry to say, don't get used in newer comics, because they are out of date. So everyone - and new writers especially! - keep writing. Please.

Let me toss the question out directly - because of the internet and social media, do people care about letters in actual comics any more? Inquiring minds want to know.

lunakat

They are fun to read. I have always enjoyed them. At this point in time, it feels a little redundant to write letters to a comic book creator- especially in the context of Elfquest- because so much discussion occurs online and because we can interact with you and Wendy more directly via the forum and facebook. I guess that letters in Elfquest, at this point, are a nostalgic thing- and to write a letter is a little more like writing a love letter (just to make a statement) than the best way to ask a question or express your thoughts.

skyward

I really like reading the letter page in the comics. We do interact and discuss theories on the forums, but it's impossible to keep up with them all. Actual letters seem to have a higher rate of coherency of ideas as well.

jeb

At this point in time, it feels a little redundant to write letters to a comic book creator- especially in the context of Elfquest- because so much discussion occurs online and because we can interact with you and Wendy more directly via the forum and facebook. 

I've noticed a lot of magazines have twitter and Facebook posts as well as links to blog mentions in addition to letters. Publishing posts from here might be a good way of directing traffic to the site, if that's what's wanted.

RedheadEmber

I like the letters. Cool with something slightly "oldfashioned". And, hey, it might just be me, but I actually feel somewhat 'official' by having my name appear in a real issue. B-)

RichardPini

jeb said: Publishing posts from here might be a good way of directing traffic to the site, if that's what's wanted.

To clarify, do you mean taking comments from here in the EQ.com forum, to use in the Final Quest letters pages in the comics?

And yes, it is one of our goals - hopes - to direct traffic from "outside" to here. We always appreciate hearing from newcomers whose different perspectives and experiences provide fodder for novel discussion. Or, to couch it more Trekkily, we want to add your distinctiveness to our own. ;)

jeb

RichardPini said: To clarify, do you mean taking comments from here in the EQ.com forum, to use in the Final Quest letters pages in the comics?

Precisely. I just looked at the issue of Smithsonian magazine that I'm reading now and all of the letters say the name and then either "on facebook" or "online comment." To direct readers here, it might say "on Elfquest.com." Another magazine I read has a little blurb in the issue about blogs that have mentioned their articles and even has a question every month that they post the facebook replies.

And based on this, you might guess that, yes, I do read the letters section.

lunakat

Good thought, Jeb!

Tavie

RichardPini said: Let me toss the question out directly - because of the internet and social media, do people care about letters in actual comics any more? Inquiring minds want to know.

I certainly like reading them.

I've never been a write-letters-to-the-editor type. I could try, I suppose.

ChristinaRaibert

For all it's worth, I just sent one in ;)

travelbug

I wrote one too :)