ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Why Representing Gay Characters Matters in Kid-Friendly Entertainment

MrsGrizzley

As an aside... I found my favorite ship with two words in the latest issue. "My Tyleet".

Just sayin. I don't gotta see elves getting it on to know the emotions behind THAT particular phrasing.

Vaeri

Thornbrake said: Remember way back during the Original Quest when people freaked out over sex in EQ but seemed totally ok with graphic violence and war? Well a very similar thing is now happening with the Walking Dead TV series. Great example of the shades of homophobia that are alive and well among fanboys and how we still have a long way to go.

i can't believe people are getting upset over that....okay i CAN believe it, but i don't understand it. i totally called it...XD saw him looking at the guy and i told my boyfriend. "that's either his brother or boyfriend". and when he went and kissed him i yelled "yup, boyfriend. I CALLED IT!" :p

i definitely can believe in the multiple sexualities...i've met my fair share of straight, bi, gay, pansexual, and two of my very best friends is asexual. is it weird? a little, but only because i very much enjoy my rolls in the fur. do i condemn them for it? hell no>.> they seem quite happy, so...what more needs to be said?

i think i could sorta relate to an elf...i can find women attractive, and if i found one who appealed to my tastes, i probably wouldn't mind a roll in the furs. but ala Skywise...i just can't resist what the lads have!:p

i was also going to say, i agree with the people who want to SEE THE UNDENIABLE TRUTH. i WAS going to say, "i just wanna see a character who doesn't show interest in females unless otherwise inclined ala recognition" but then i realized...we do have that. we have Dart who took a male lovemate, and only mated with a female with prompted with recognition. it's entirely possible Dart may have lovemated with Kimo. so he kinda fufills the conditions i was looking for anyway. but i CAN agree with some people...i would like to see a lifemating of the same sex that does NOT include the opposite gender, like Pike-Krim-Skot.

whether or not we get it will be up to Elfmom and Elfpop. sorry for the loooong rambling! just...yeah, wanted to throw my two cents in and see how they clink. :p

Tavie

MrsGrizzley said: Just sayin. I don't gotta see elves getting it on to know the emotions behind THAT particular phrasing.

But I still wouldn't *mind* seeing those elves getting it on. ;)

Kathleen2point0

While I agree that it's important to have queer characters in kid-friendly media, I personally wouldn't want my kid(siblings) reading ElfQuest until they were at least old enough to pick their own reading material. Too much violence, never mind the sex. They're not even allowed to watch old cartoons, lol.

lunakat

I first read it when I was eight, and I don't think it impacted me negatively in any way. All I remember was some positive realizations that I got from it. The big impression I got from it when I was eight was to start contemplating what the nature and origins of prejudice were- and to rethink gender roles, and what it meant to be a girl. I reread them when I was ten... and to my shock, realized I had missed noticing the orgy scene the first time. All the sex went right over my head before. I think kids tend to focus on what is relevant to them, and perceive what they are developmentally ready to perceive... unless they are forced into interacting with something they are not ready to interact with.

Llannen

@lunakat: That is how I felt about Blazing Saddles. I missed soooo much of the innuendos and jokes and didn't get why my dad was laughing. As an adult watching it, I act all horrified now that he let me watch with him, but I find myself doing the same with my kids. It's only a big thing if you call the kid's attention to it. I got the big picture of racism by watching it.....but now go back to watch the show for the "inside jokes".

With ElfQuest: I just found acceptance and love. Some of the deeper levels of meaning I may have read, processed on a surface level and then come to these discussions to dive deeper.

The kids just want to label since they are still learning to categorize/organize everything. So they ask now "is that man wearing a dress" and I reply, "yes, but you should ask him what he wants to be called."

My kids are matter of fact, kind of like me. Death they learned at a young age (I am a veterinarian and they have been present for euthanasia) and we are trying to teach them to embrace the circle of life/death and to try not to be afraid of it. We let them know about some of the bad things in the news because I'd rather discuss it with them than let them believe only what the media chooses to show us.

I will let them read ElfQuest now, if they choose and just be available for any questions....

Going to stop rambling now.

MrsGrizzley

Llannen said: @lunakat: That is how I felt about Blazing Saddles. I missed soooo much of the innuendos and jokes and didn't get why my dad was laughing. As an adult watching it, I act all horrified now that he let me watch with him, but I find myself doing the same with my kids. It's only a big thing if you call the kid's attention to it. I got the big picture of racism by watching it.....but now go back to watch the show for the "inside jokes".

"It's twu! It's TWU!!". "Lady, that's my arm..."

lunakat

I love that movie!

Kathleen2point0

Just cartoon watching brought a lot of violence into the kids' play that wasn't there before, so we monitor their intake pretty well. They also have a lot more literal interpretation of things than NT kids, and it's just basically a bad idea.

TwoWolves

Dart & Mender - this is going to be a great part of Final Quest I can feel it!!!

Vaeri

just thought to point out since this is a relevant thing...read an article about a woman who published a book called "Heather has two mommies" i thought it was a very sweet looking book with a good message.

too bad the comments were mainly about how the homosexuals are going to "indoctrine" their youth to corrupt and pervert them, and many comments about how they are deviants who are sinning against god...*head desks* why are people still saying this?! what does it TAKE to get people to realize love is love, no matter the body?!

...on that note, i now have the urge to see a live elf/dead elf relationship, CAUSE THE BODY DON'T MATTER! ...XD okay feel free to ignore me now.

Eyeshigh

I won't ignore you, because you are right!!
As if you can make a person gay, by being brought up by a gay-couple?
That is stupid! It is like saying, my parents are straight, so am I.... my parents are gay, so am I.......
Sinning against God. Can any one tell me where it says in the Ten Commandments 'You shall not love one of the same sexe'? The church made up that "commandment", not God....

I am sorry if you don't agree with me, but then again, would you truely love Elfquest if you did? Because it is full of same sex-love! (Don't mistake love for sex in this matter!!)

And I would love to see more spirits! Skywise's parents! Seeing how proud they are at him for what he has become!

MrsGrizzley

Live Elf/ Dead Elf relationships... I think we can safely put Pike, Skot, and Krim in that category, as well as any lifemated pair separated by death. Because the LOVE itself doesn't end when the soul lives on within the Palace. Just because they cannot *touch* anymore doesn't mean they don't *love*.

After all, the heart has room enough within it for any number of loves, both great and small.

Vaeri

true....but i guess i kind of thought of the stereotypical relationship. ya know, living together, doing stuff together, rolls in the furs...though i'm sure for a living elf/dead elf it'd be more mental than physical.

but now that i realize, Newstar had the same thing going with Lutei! but per human nature, i guess it's just not enough! :p

Blackbird

Well, I started reading Elfquest when I was 4, but it took some years before I got more issues, but I remember not being scared for life by the sex or same-sex couples. I had some nightmares about Rayek, but I lived ;)

But I think the case here is that it's important, kids don't get scared by seeing gay couples in comics, they will only think it's something normal. We don't want any tendencies as in Russia do we?

RedheadEmber

Here's what I, for some weird reason, suddenly want to happen;
Two females becoming lifemates and then one of the recognizing some. She does not also become lifemates with that person, so their child is raised as the child of the two females. Of course everyone knows who the sire is, but he doesn't play a father-role for the child.

Eyeshigh

In my humble opinion it is like this.
If you make a fuss out of things, others will do too. Start thinking, yes he/she is right!
If we all would never (have) talked about how different some one is (race, sexuality, height, size, etc...), but just saw a humanbeing, nothing else, we would never see our differances as.... different! But just as a person.
I try to live like this, but yes it is hard, because with some idea's I was brought up, by parents, family, friends and television. But my parents also thought me not to judge only on appearance or first sight, but they thaught me to get to know some one, if I wanted, then make my final conclusion!

The end result is..... I have many different friends and I like to believe they think of my as their friend too.