ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

Final Quest #5 announcement

Warp Graphics

Final Quest #5 announcement

Just out from Dark Horse Comics, here's the solicitation for issue #5! ElfQuest: The Final Quest #5 Wendy Pini (W/A/Cover) and Richard Pini (W) On sale Sept 24 Full Color, 32 pages $3.50 Ongoing Separated and weakened by unanswered Recognition, can Ember and Teir survive long enough for a rescue? Three factions must join to…

Read the full story here

Heather

Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 6.27.53 AM
Saw this today on the EQ Facebook page.
And the next lines are unusually very spoiler filled, so don't read if you don't want to know.
@
@
@
@
@
Separated and weakened by unanswered Recognition, can Ember and Teir survive long enough for a rescue? Three factions must join to save the pair -- Cutter and his companions, Ember's own Wolfriders, and the mysterious realm of elfin spirits. If they fail, the lovers may die. If they succeed, what shattering secrets will be revealed and new threats unleashed?
• Brand-new ElfQuest art and adventures!
"It's something special and will pull you in from the first time you read it!" --

RedheadEmber

And... this doesn't come out until... the end up September?

Excuse me while I go cover under a blanket.

Elwing

So who do you think is the owner of the disembodied eyes?

Thornbrake

SQUEEEE!! Can't bear to see Ember being tortured though!

RedheadEmber

The mysterious realm of elfin spirits is one of the three fractions, Might be just a way to show that, without it being anyone in particular.

Hmm, they need to rescue them both, think that has something to do with the Teir-in-the-water thing from the cover of issue #4.

Heather

@elwing I was thinking it may be Krim.

travelbug

September is to far away.
And another month to wait for #4. Sigh..

Gotta love Windkin <3 has he ever made it to the frontpage before?

Heather

Seriously cannot wait!

Rob

Merged the two threads, basically to see if it would work. It appears to have worked! It's alive!

DaHoku

Can't wait!!! The anticipation!

skyward

So excited!! Wondering whose eyes are at the top of the page...

Stefan

Maybe it's Kahvi, because of her somewhat connection to Windkin and her maybe connection to Teir...And her blood- connection to the wolfriders. It seems the spirits will be more pro-active this time around..

Yngvar

A big face dominating the background does tend to indicate a bad guy. Think Winnowill on the cover of #12 of the original quest. Or Darth Vader on just about every Star Wars poster with Darth Vader in it. Not that that *has* to be a rule. The really bad Elfquest elves seem to be dead.

PCoquelin

The multi-coloured background reminds me of the magically animated and coloured suspension behind Savah's throne...

lunakat

Re: Mysterious eyes on cover of issue 5. You guys are over-thinking this. Redhead Ember is probably right- it's probably just representative of the collective elven spirits powering the Palace.

@PC- that makes sense! Same magic! (Nice connection!)

RedheadEmber

I think they'll be rescued. Not just because I refuse to believe that something bad(er) might happen, but also because of this:

Heather said: If they succeed, what shattering secrets will be revealed and new threats unleashed?

Sounds like a catalyst for the actual events of the big Final Quest to me.

Heather

RedheadEmber said:
Sounds like a catalyst for the actual events of the big Final Quest to me.

Me too! Fingers crossed!

Thornbrake

RedheadEmber said: I think they'll be rescued.

Yes, but will they ALL be rescued? Will some not make it?

RedheadEmber

Teir and Ember both have to survive, otherwise the Recognition is gonna... not work out.

travelbug

I wonder if two elves suffer from unfulfilled recognition and one gets killed by something else like a sadistic human, will recognition let the other one go?

Tam

travelbug said: I wonder if two elves suffer from unfulfilled recognition and one gets killed by something else like a sadistic human, will recognition let the other one go?

According to The Wolfrider's Guide or The Big Elfquest Gatherum (can't remember which), the short answer is yes. Elves who don't fulfill Recognition will eventually recover. The point of Recognition is to create strong children and keep the tribe alive...it would be completely backwards for it to kill an elf who can't-or refuses to- answer the call.

PCoquelin

I tend to be very worried by these questions :
. "WHO will rescue Ember ?"
. "Using which METHODS to do so ?"

After all, I can easily envision other elves - still unheard of - ..
..who would consider that torturing an elf is a MAJOR offence.

Saint_Parallelogram

I was thinking that the eyes were Timmain's, but Krim makes more sense, or possibly even Vaya, who being tortured herself might take a special interest.

RichardPini

There's so much fun to be had with eyes. I remember way back in 1988, using a certain pair of elfin eyes to help celebrate Elfquest's 10th anniversary. Not everyone got the source, not right away.

Thornbrake

@RichardPini Treasure??? ;)

Elwing

I always thought that was lord Voll's eyes?

RichardPini

Those are indeed Skywise's eyes from that panel. But upon second look, they could be Voll's, without too much tweaking. Especially from the scenes where he comes to realize what the Wolfriders (especially Ember and Suntop) could mean to the Gliders.

lunakat

@Richard- Isn't Lord Voll Skywise's long, lost Grandad? No, but seriously... did Wendy draw them similarly for a reason? Voll looks like a taller, thinner version of Skywise... right down to the fact that he's wearing a metal frame on his face. Was that on purpose, and if so- why?

RichardPini

lunakat said: Voll looks like a taller, thinner version of Skywise... right down to the fact that he's wearing a metal frame on his face. Was that on purpose, and if so- why?

right question

Heather

Man, you're being wicked with hints today!

RichardPini

Heather said:
Man, you're being wicked with hints today!

It's a gorgeous Sunday outside, and I've been stuck here, fighting with file permissions and missing font files and recalcitrant technology in general, for hours. Misery loves company.

lunakat

If it's the right question... can it get the right answer?

lunakat

I'm stuck driving around for the last two days to put out fires to take care of other people's business and maintain status quo in my life. Could be worse! I have two hours to myself- and I'm about to use them going to see my friend's new apartment because she's excited about it and I don't have the heart to tell her no. Yet I stopped in for this. Please answer!

RichardPini

lunakat said: Yet I stopped in for this. Please answer!

Patience, grasshoppers.

Voll and Skywise, I could say, do share certain characteristics. They're both dreamers of a sort and their faces, when they're feeling contemplative, have the same relaxed openness that shows when they're woolgathering. They're both more connected to "out there" than most of the elves - one by sheer heritage, the other by disposition. Beyond that, don't draw any conclusions.

lunakat

So Wendy didn't intentionally draw them to appear similar then? Thanks! (I thought she might have been trying to draw some visual parallel or play with themes.)

Say- glad to have kept you company today! ;)

Moonmoss

Quote: If they succeed, what shattering secrets will be revealed and new threats unleashed?

Methinks we might find out more about Teir's parentage...seems logical to think that the spirits who would take most interest in his plight would be his birthparents/ones who raised him. Most of Ember's beloved are still alive, so I'd say my strongest guess for her "saving spirit" would be Sunstream from afar- they are twins after all.

Maybe Tyldak's spirit will help Windkin?

*grin* I love to speculate, even though I'm usually dead wrong.

RedheadEmber

So... it comes out on September 24th. Would you say it's too early to start a countdown? Naah, didn't think so either.

Heather

RedheadEmber said: So... it comes out on September 24th. Would you say it's too early to start a countdown? Naah, didn't think so either.

I like the way you think! :>

jorenm93

I hope we'll see Rayek again!

RedheadEmber

We will. Question is when. Something tells me it won't happen in this word-for-several-issues-collected-in-one-big-book.

manga

Well, we saw him coming to Venka's rescue in the trailer, so presumably the closer we get to the one, the closer we get to the other.

I'd like more preview pages. I thought they were doing a few every issue but it's been apparently somewhat random.

RedheadEmber

They have been.

Preview of the Special:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-293

Preview of issue#1:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-774?page=0

Preview for issue#2:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-775

Preview for issue#3:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-776

Preview for issue#4:
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/24-777

The preview for issue#5 will probably come some time in September.

jorenm93

Maybe Teir's rescue will fail and -KABOUM- Rayek saves the day

Nightsea

manga said: Well, we saw him coming to Venka's rescue in the trailer

Thanks for the reminder...I just went and rewatched that on youtube.
Oh man does it have spoilers in it. Venka hurt in Eukar's arms as Rayek
blasts some folks with magic. Now I get the bits with Moonshade and Strongbow giving each other odd looks (sorta). Who pays, who stays?
Argh. Doesn't bode well for "Happily Ever After".
*frowny face*
--NS

lunakat

FutureQuest doesn't seem to imply that there is a happily ever after.

Previews seem to come out about a week or two before the issue is released.

travelbug

For the elves to leave the worlds of two moons, really bad things probably have to happen for them all to see that they can't live there anymore.

If the palace chief in Future Quest really is Cutter (hairstyle is similar at least) is does suggest that many elves will die. Most of his family.
Maybe it will be some kind of war with the humans?

Delhya

@travelbug Not to mention the male elf (Annahvi or Anahvi The spelling in Skyward Shadow) Refers to a elf who strongly resembles Strongbow as Archer So two teaser mysteries because of the elf who resembles Cutter.

travelbug

If the archer in Future Quest isn't Strongbow, it must be his double ;)