ELFQUEST
FORUM ARCHIVE     ABOUT EQ     READ ONLINE     SHOP    
ABOUT     READ     SHOP    

The Big Elfquest Swear Guide

RedheadEmber

(What, @Thornbrake? You and Ryan suggested we should make such a thread. ;) )

So, this is the thread were we disgus the various oaths and swear words in Elfquest.
For starters we got:

Puckernuts, the all-time favourite.
Rockskull, seems to have been Krim's fave swear word.

Right, everybody, your turn! >:D

Vaeri

Timmorn's Blood!
Bearclaw's Beard!
Rotten Fish Guts!
By the Great Icewall!
Lizard waste!
Owl Pellets!
Troll Warts and Lizard Skins!
Tidings and Tides!
Tides of Safehold!

that's all i feel like bothering to remember or look up for now. XD

RedheadEmber

Not to be nitpickery, but some of these aren't exactly swear words. But I guess that might be my mistake; I sorta equalled swear words with oaths.

Vaeri

well you did say oaths AND swear words...O.o...*mildly confused*

RedheadEmber

Me too... @-)

I think we should just talk about all these 'elfin terms'.

Vaeri

>.< it's just that when the elves say it, it sounds like cursing and saying an oath...

RedheadEmber

Vaeri said: Tidings and Tides!
Tides of Safehold!

I think these two are more like 'parting words.'

Vaeri

no. the Tidings and Tides! was said by Sunstream when he was impatient to leave to see Brill before she gave birth in the FQ Special

the Tides of Safehold! was said by Krill when the palace appeared underwater in The Discovery.

Embala

To the fire pit with you!

You're meat to be wasted!

Thornbrake

Oh fun!! If you're wondering what @RedHeadEmber meant in her first comment, we talked about starting a thread here on the forums to collect all the curses, swears and oaths used by the elves in the latest episodes of The Elfquest Show Podcast. I think all are fair game!

RedheadEmber

One thing I love is how the elves

1: Swear by someone/thing that has meaning to them.
2: Seems to be a lot more imaginative than us boring humans when it comes to various oaths.

So for example; Leetah frequently says "great sun." The Wolfrider tend to swear by various old chiefs "Tanner's needles." "Two-Spear's madness." I'm sure I've come across others.
And... my fave; uttered by Krim just before she's healed by Mender during the Shard's War: "By Kahvi's gutwrapped spear!" Now there's a nice image! >:D

Elwing

You stinkin' trollfathering...! Timmorn's blood! Gutworms and mudwater! You grey-faced filth! Rotten fishguts! ...and that's just KOTBW #1...

Also, in the series "Seperated at Birth?" I bring to you, the unknown Go-Back, Captain Haddock!

RedheadEmber

"You're meat to be wasted."

+ I'm sure Kahvi had a very imaginative arsenal of words to descibe Rayek after the whole 'Banish the Go-Backs' debacle. >:>

Elwing

Misbegot Troll-son! Dung Chip! Foaming Snow Cat! Wolf Leavings!

Trollbabe

LOL! Captain Haddock would make a great Go-Back! I believe that picture is from my first "graphic novel" ever!

RichardPini

RedheadEmber said: One thing I love is how the elves
1: Swear by someone/thing that has meaning to them.
2: Seems to be a lot more imaginative than us boring humans when it comes to various oaths.

Consider this: Where (in broad terms) do most human curses derive from? Three categories: Religion, excrement, and sex. The elves, however, do not subscribe to any religion, so there are no "gods" to "damn" anyone. Poo and pee? Just ask any dog; those are not bad things at all - they are ID cards! And as far as sex goes, anyone who reads Elfquest knows full well that there's nothing bad about any of that!

Now, for every convention there are exceptions, so before someone jumps up with "Wait a just a fish-poking minute!" yes, there are elfin curses and oaths that seem to contradict. Context counts for a lot. "Misbegotten offspring of a lame zwoot and a desperate troll" does technically involve sex. When Kahvi jeers at Cutter, "Dung! Dung twice!" it's not that she necessarily sees excrement as a bad thing, rather that at that moment she wishes for a pile of it large enough to push Cutter's head into. It's a fine distinction but we're sticking to it, by Timmorn's pallid pink puppy poker! ;)

Leanan

Two-Spear's shaft! :D

RedheadEmber

RichardPini said: "Wait a just a fish-poking minute!"

How long is a fish poking minute anyway?

Vaeri

about as long as it takes to realize the scales hurt?*shot* XD

Embala

Thistles and pricklepears!

Heather

Don't know what Dart is saying here, but it's something more than "dung"
Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 7.41.41 PM

Tavie

He's saying "BY GUTTLEKRAW'S STINKING BALLSWEAT"

Rob

See, it just so happens that a mild elfish expression of alarm is completely untranslatable, but a perfect homophone of "exclamationhashasteriskdollarasterisk".

Trollbabe

I think the Sunfolk had some mild swear words, as when Shenshen complains of Leetah's twins being out at night. "Thistles and pricklepears" are unpleasant, just like being roused from a sound sleep.

Insults aren't exactly oaths, but Kahvi calls Maggoty a muttering bag of suet. I guess that's a jab at her weight, although Trolls are normally heavier than Elves, and maggoty can move pretty fast when she has to.

RedheadEmber

Rob said: See, it just so happens that a mild elfish expression of alarm is completely untranslatable, but a perfect homophone of "exclamationhashasteriskdollarasterisk".

=))

ROB!

RichardPini

Rob said: ...but a perfect homophone of "exclamationhashasteriskdollarasterisk".

Easy for you to say.

Trollbabe

"Hash"... we called it a "pound key" or "number sign" in my day... :) I am getting old...

WolfCandy

Trollbabe said: "Hash"... we called it a "pound key" or "number sign" in my day... :) I am getting old...

I call it a pound key too and I'm in high school... You can't be that old ;)

Trollbabe

"Hash" was a cafeteria entrée, and serving cafeteria food was called "slinging hash," as in "making a living slinging hash."

WolfCandy

Trollbabe said: "Hash" was a cafeteria entrée, and serving cafeteria food was called "slinging hash," as in "making a living slinging hash."

You win :P

RedheadEmber

And I always thought hash was something you smoked... @-)

Heather

I know all of these terms for hash. Smoke it, eat it, tag it.

Vaeri

Timmorn's Hairballs! courtesy of Bearclaw, BoTC 11. haaa...wolfy hairballs.

RedheadEmber

Don't know if this has ever been asked before. But what is a puckernut?

Vaeri

presumably a nut that is so sour, it makes your face pucker up. mwahahaha.

Leanan

I think there was an elf called Puckernut in one of the Blood of Ten Chiefs anthologies... I forget during which chief... but it was a swearword in those days already, according to the story.

Trollbabe

It used to be a cheap dish made from potatoes and some type of meat, such as bacon, roast beef or corned beef.

Also, grass grew on lawns, snow fell out of the sky, crack was what glass did when it was struck, pot was a utensil used for cooking, blow was how you put out a candle flame, Mary Jane was a girl's name, tea was a hot beverage, acid was a chemical used for etching metal, smack was a noise people sometimes made with their lips when eating, and horse was a four-legged animal...

MrsGrizzley

*laughing insanely @Trollbabe for sheer brilliance*

EXCELLENT!!! I agree!!!

Trollbabe

Someone else remembers the old days!

Embala

Dear >:> reminded me of this ...

He should fall throught thin ice!
He should fry in bear fat!